THR Terrible muscle pains

Hi Lesley,
I’m not sure about where they‘re from in Ireland, but I’ve texted my mom and asked. I’ll let you know once she responds. She is a retired travel agent and traveled the world. She was there (Ireland) snooping around in cemetery’s and who knows where else about ancestors. She was probably in pubs dancing on tabletops too. She would :heehee::wink: She’s into genealogy and obviously travel also.

I‘m happy to hear you’re feeling more relaxed. It’s the best way to go into surgery. You will be taken good care of at your surgery site, at home too, it sounds like, and then you have us, the invisible friends inside your computer to visit with whenever you feel the need!

Here is an article on Uncemented and Cemented - hope it helps explain.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/cemented-and-uncemented-hips.7692/

Have a great rest of the day!
@YogaLesley
 
Hi again,
Found out my ancestors are from the Southern part of Ireland, County Cork and Kerry, my mom. County Cork, my dad.
My mom reminded me hers owned castles and my dads owned bars and were horse thieves. :rotfl: I Yi Yi, probably TMI.:heehee: Good for a laugh anyway.
 
Thinking of you this morning, Lesley. Saying a prayer for an uneventful surgery and recovery. You‘ll soon be home and on your way to healing, beginning a new chapter without ailing hips and the pain you've endured. We’ll be here for you every step of the way and I’m looking forward to your first update once you’re home and feeling up to it.
Hugs
@YogaLesley
 
Yesterday had a general anaesthetic not spinal which was a surprise. A lot of excruciating pain to start with then wonderful sleepiness on cocktail of drugs. Slept for 5 hours. But this morning they rolled me onto operated side to change sheet which really hurt. Then physio walked to loo and back. A lot of thigh and groin pain, don't think I will sleep so well tonight! Different pain from last time, down front of thigh. Uncemented so partial weight bearing for 6 weeks ( last time surgeon said full weight bearing even though that was uncemented too?!). Hopefully a better day tomorrow.
 
Congrats, Lesley! It’s good to see an update from you. Wishing you loads of comfort as you begin healing. I hope they get your pain well managed and you’re able to get some restorative rest overnight. :friends:
@YogaLesley
 
So sorry to read you are not getting any relief from the pain meds.
It's only first couple of days so hopefully it gets better.
I didn't have a lot of pain, I think I have more now, three months later if that makes any sense but I'm also doing a lot more.
I'll keep you in my thoughts...take care
 
We are barbaric here in uk around pain medication. Plus having to shuffle a long way to loo in the middle of the night in excruciating pain.
 
Oh @YogaLesley your recovery isn't off to a good start and I am so sorry! Hopefully you can get home and be in charge of your icing and elevating.
 
I think I would be having what we call a "mad dog fit" if I were you and wasn't getting any ice... hugs..
 
No I have asked several times for ice and elevation but absolutely not.
I just don‘t understand this. It’s not a drug and it helps with the swelling and pain.
So sad! :sad:
 
I have had to go to the loo twice tonight 2am and 4.20am. First time I am afraid I was swearing so badly that the second time they brought a commode! But I can't understand why I can't even move my leg off the bed. Is this what people mean by log leg? I just can't make it move and putting weight on it is absolute agony, worse each time. And what does 'partial weight bearing' actually mean, which is what surgeon said? Pain is all around crease at top of thigh and groin and down the line of the femur. Can't see how it will improve? Can't manage heel slides. Help!
 
YogaLesley, I had mine replaced on the second and had the log leg. Extreme pain if I tried to move my leg. Took about 8 days before I could lift. I still can only lift it about 6” off the bed if I’m laying down, if sitting it’s much easier. I had to get a leg lifter from Amazon. You can use your other leg to lift it but I find that difficult to do but better then nothing. I think log leg is pretty common from what I hear. Sorry your having such a ruff time. Prayers everything eases up and you have a complete recovery.
 
I can't even move my leg off the bed. Is this what people mean by log leg?
Log Leg - your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction.

Here is a more detailed explanation I found through researching -
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery.

Lesley, you can even use the belt from a bathrobe. It will work the same.

Partial weight-bearing allows you to place half of your weight on the operated extremity. Begin by using a scale to see how much pressure is on your affected leg when half of your weight is placed on it. Use your assistive device to stand with slight pressure on your leg. Your physical therapist will help you with this before you’re discharged.
Pain is all around crease at top of thigh and groin and down the line of the femur. Can't see how it will improve? Can't manage heel slides. Help!
Ice will certainly help with this if you could get your hands on some. I hope you’re stocked up at home with gel packs, or a ice machine.

Heel slides are more easily accomplished early on with a plastic bag underneath your heel allowing you more freedom to slowly engage in that movement…if they’ll allow you assistance with that?

I‘m so sorry you’re having a rough start. I really think once you’re resting at home and icing frequently this won’t feel as overwhelming.
Hugs and best wishes the day gets better. :console2:
 
@YogaLesley
So sorry for the inconvenience. You should be able to post now.
On rare occasion, this happens for reasons unbeknownst to us. Thanks for reporting it, you should be back in biz.

I hope today is a better one for you. :)
 
I asked them to change the oxycodone for tramadol and, at night, diazapam, as well as paracetamol and it is much better for me, significant pain relief, though I still have the log leg and pain in walking with the walker. But I have been sleeping on and off a lot which is a huge relief. My BP is very low again, has been 60something over 40 something so they are keeping an eye on me and not sure when I will be able to go home. Thanks for all your help and advice, lady opposite has a leg lifter, think I will get one!
 
YL, I'm sorry that you are having pain and problems and I hope it all gets better soon.
Regarding log leg, my in home pt told me that it's a disconnect between the nerves and muscle in the leg, and the brain. He showed me ways to get them all in sync again, and maybe they will help you if you can manage them.
First, he had me try to raise my log leg knee just a little bit while standing with my walker or other support. About a half inch was enough and got a hurrah from him. Then he asked me to try to lift that knee while seated on the edge of my chair. With this, my leg only moved the tiniest bit, maybe 1/4 inch, but the pt was pleased.
He asked me to try these moves a few time throughout the day.
Slowly, I was able to improve the movement of the knee being raised. It took over a week to manage several inches, and longer still to be able to lift my leg as I lay down.
Don't worry, your log leg will improve, maybe slowly at first, but those nerves and muscle will become friends again and be obedient to your brain's commands.
If you can, get a leg lifter to help with getting into and out of your bed and recliner. If you don't have one, you can use a belt, maybe from a bathrobe or trenchcoat, or a dog leash, to lasso your foot to guide it and set it where you want it to be.
I wish your a restful night, and smoother days ahead.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom