THR Terrible muscle pains

Hi Lesley,
Try to focus on how much better you’ll be feeling physically once they’re both replaced and healed. It may be a long recovery as one rolls into the other, but you’ll notice steady progress all along the way and once you’re healed you’ll feel so much better.
I’ll bet even younger too! :dancy::spin:
Pain is sooo draining and you’ve had a double whammy between the physical and emotional as you continue to grieve your loss. Sadly only time will help ease both. I’m sure you’ll receive a lot of support through your network of friends and you know we’re here for you also.
I hope the rest of the week is peaceful. :console2:
@YogaLesley
 
I now have a date for my left THR, 16th May, although it won't be with my previous surgeon and I have never met the person who will be doing it. Still last one wasn't a roaring success so maybe good to have someone different. It has been quite difficult trying to sort out someone to be with me afterwards as my sister can't come until 24th, and then only for a week, and plans are still a bit tentative but I am hoping they won't chuck me out if there is no one here to help at the beginning! I seem to have health appointments every day, I have a blocked ear, my eye injections, dentist, counsellor etc. I just feel worn out with it all to be honest and pretty depressed.
 
P. S. I am also concerned as my original surgeon said there was now a 1 cm difference in leg length which he would correct with this op, just hope new surgeon remembers to do it! I will see him once a few days before the op but I am not filled with confidence. Pain was so awful last time, really hope this won't be so bad.
 
Hello YogaLesley,
Congrats on getting a date scheduled, we’ll edit your signature to reflect that info and add you to the May surgery list.

While I’m sure your upcoming surgery feels daunting as you‘re formulating plans, try to view it as the beginning of the end to your physical pain and suffering. Hopefully you’re able to arrange for a friend or neighbor to check in on you once or twice a day until your sister is able to join you for a week. I truly believe by the time your sister leaves for home you‘ll have a routine established and the ability to continue on your own. Some members are alone from the beginning, which I imagine would be difficult, but many have done it.

Hopefully as you start ticking these scheduled pre-op appointments off the list, your mood will lighten. Also, bring up the topic of leg length with your new surgeon so you have the reassurance he’s heard your concerns.
Hugs with wishes for comfort and peace of mind. :console2:
@YogaLesley
 
Sorry I didn't say thanks sooner @Layla . My left THR will be on Monday 16th May and my best friend should be able to come from the Friday till the Monday or Tuesday when my sister can take over until 31st May (she has to be home for June 1st). Also I am pleased to say I am getting various calls from a pre-op support team who have said I will be assessed in hospital and if they think I will need support after Jean my sister goes, they can arrange for someone to come in once a day or even a reablement plan can offer support 3 times a day for up to 6 weeks. I don't think I shall need that but it is reassuring to know that help is available should I need it. I am worrying about things like doing washing and cleaning but guess it will just have to pile up for a while! I have been looking back at my old posts after my right THR and I was feeling quite good at 4-6 weeks (relatively), but of course I had Michael then who did all the household tasks and thoroughly cosseted me so when people say what will you need help with it is difficult to say! I have always enjoyed having a colourful display of pots and plants outside the house so am hoping I can get those planted before my op, although watering plants might be a problem. Lots of local people have said they are happy to help but it is hard to know whether one can really ask people to do things like watering etc! My best friend has just been for a couple of days and helped me with rearranging pots and pans in the kitchen etc. I think it may be the more emotional/psychological side of going through this so differently without my beloved Michael that will be the most difficult. But, as everyone has told me, one day at a time. And I know I have this forum for support. Thank you.
 
PS. I visited my homeopath nearly 2 weeks ago and, fingers crossed, the remedies she gave me seem to have significantly reduced my discomfort at night from my right hip. But I am really struggling to get a decent night's sleep regardless and so feel permanently tired. Easier to sleep int he day but then that throws it out for the night!
 
No worries about apologies, dear Lesley.
There is so much encouraging news in your post. Given all you’ve been through in the past seven months from the surgery to the great loss you suffered with, Michael, your BIL and a second failing hip, it’s no wonder you’re exhausted. I think at this point, you should sleep when you’re able, you can work on a better sleep schedule once your feeling more caught up in life.

It’s wonderful news to read of all the help that will be available to you. I hope you’re able to accept these offers. It has to be comforting to know you have options. As far as washing and cleaning, have your home as clean as possible and be caught up on laundry as much as you can before your surgery. Then post op, when your company asks what they can do, be honest and ask if they will do the dishes, tidy the kitchen, run the vacuum or throw in a load of laundry etc. I do believe people want to help and feel useful rather than just sit around. You know you’ll be back to tackling those chores sooner than you probably care to, but that’s the independence we’re shooting for going into this surgery.
Lots of local people have said they are happy to help but it is hard to know whether one can really ask people to do things like watering etc!
Trust that you can ask and will receive a favorable response since they‘ve already expressed and interest in helping. Consider making a list and pencil in a name of the person you feel may be most receptive to each task you’ll need help with. Then when they ask, be brave and tell them what they can do to help. It’s a good way to find out who‘s sincerity you can trust also. :wink: :heehee:

Since you love the beauty of colorful pots brimming with plants, try to concentrate on planting them before surgery so you can enjoy looking at them as you begin healing.

Thankfully the remedies provided by your homeopath are helping. I know you can do this, Lesley, and I believe you’ll get through it like a champ which would make Michael very proud. Hugs and best wishes for a peaceful weekend. :friends:
 
@YogaLesley I am catching up with your thread and am so relieved to read that you have your second THR scheduled.. wishing you the very best as you wait.. the Homeopathic treatments sound promising and sure hope that continues for you while you navigate your other medical appointments.
As for the LLD and a new surgeon, please make certain to have a list handy of your questions, even if you need to present it to him on surgery day. Well, at least that is what I would do. Of course I am queen of lists for my Dr appointments. My family Dr just puts her hand out for it and reads it as we progress through my physical. I think she appreciates having it.
With my first THR I was limited for help- my husband taught at a university and had a tight schedule.. he literally brought me home and had to leave for class within the first hour. I found a Home Health Care Service that would send me someone to help for a couple hours when needed. They would help prep food, even walked my dog!
They were great to have in the house especially since I needed to stay upstairs where the bathroom was located, which kept me from the kitchen on the first floor. I'm not sure how things work where you live but maybe something to think about.

Take care, rest up.. I think you are going to do just fine. :console2:
 
Well, left THR on Monday and I am SCARED as hell. Much worse than last time, as then I didn't know how bad it was going to be! As for appreciating freedom from pain eventually, well, I am still waiting! Seven and a half months on and my right groin still aches like hell a lot of the time, plus the outer thigh scar area is so darn sore all the time! I suppose I should be fair and say I can at least weight bear and walk and get up and down without extra pain and some days are OK. But nights still bad. It is difficult to tell how much is to do with the left hip which also is causing a lot more pain in the last month or so (of course if Michael hadn't died it would have been done in January and I would be over all this now!) . I have an appointment with the new surgeon who will be doing my operation tomorrow - I haven't met him before - and will make the list as Crickethip wisely suggested. I am hoping against hope that maybe if they can put the leg length difference right and the left one is strong that maybe the right one will start to improve too. But I just feel so depressed, it all just feels too much, I feel as if I am going to my execution! Sorry but that's how it feels. (Had better pop another Diazapam I guess to get me out of this)
 
I was more anxious the second time around. Not sure why - maybe because you know what you are facing. Fingers crossed fixing that LLD will help with the pain you are still experiencing.

You are not going to your execution. It will be a new beginning. You are joining the double hippie club. All done and dusted. We are here for you!
 
Yes! I love, Jaycey’s viewpoint. “New beginnings”, try to view it as that, Lesley, a new beginning.

My heart breaks for you after all you’ve been through, but in the absence of, Michael, you are getting through and I have every confidence you can do this.

This recovery may be easier than your first and replacing your left hip may be the ticket to resolving any discomfort you’re still having with the right.

If it’s the surgery you’re afraid of, we all were. I hope you have the best care team as you’re prepping for surgery. Share your fears and loneliness with them and I’m betting they’ll support you in all the best ways possible. They can also give you something for your anxiety. Take it.

Hopefully you’re still making use of ice when your groin is hurting. I remember the area of my incision being tender for months after surgery also. When you think of the cutting through flesh and moving and separating what’s necessary in the process to install the implant, it’s no wonder we feel sore for months.

Try to take this one day at a time only. Prep your house to the best of your ability so you’re comfortable when you return home from your surgery site. Have all the necessities accessible near your favorite spot to sit or rest. Maybe after all you and your sister have been through, you can plan a fun getaway for a few months from now, when you’re feeling stronger and more steady on your feet. It could give you something to look forward to.

I wish I could take away the heaviness of heart you’re feeling. You’ve been through a lot in a short period of time and we’ve all been stressed over the past two years given Covid and things happening in the world, certainly this only added to your personal stressors. All I can do is lift you in prayer and send a warm hug your way with the promise that we’ll be here for you when you need us.
Wishing you peace of mind as you await the 16th. :console2:
@YogaLesley
 
After having 2 THR's I understand why people do bi-lateral!, one and done. I put off my second for a while as I wasn't anxious to go through it again. You know what to expect and your understanding of recovery will help you through. I didn't fret as much with the 2nd in recovery as I knew what it would take and I just rested and let it heal.
 
Thank you all. Layla your words made me cry (in a good way!), so kind. I have been doing all the things you suggested, getting cleaning and tidying done, making everything accessible, etc. My sister will be with me for a week after the op and we are maybe going to Ireland (the land of our grandparents!) come September, all being well. Although we are different in many ways, we can also have fun together and of course share memories no one else has. I have just typed up my list of questions etc for my new surgeon for tomorrow's appointment! Feeling a bit better, it is so nice to have all your support. Thank you.
 
PS. Yes, I am still using ice packs, on both sides, every night! But when I asked my previous surgeon about having them in hospital he mumbled something about hygiene and infection in the wound!!! But really I think us Brits don't get ice like you do in the US. (They think they're doing you a big favour if they give you 2 ice cubes in a drink!!!!)
 
I don’t think you ever get over anxiety before a surgery. With all the changes that have occurred in your life this time around, there is uncertainty that creeps in there as well. It takes a lot of courage to put your trust in almost complete strangers to have them work on you when you are totally unawares. But they take that responsibility seriously and do have our best interests at heart. Just remember to let them know how you feel and what you need. You will do well.

Ask those people who offered to help to help with whatever. I never offer unless I mean it. I would love watering plants that I knew would perk up your day and anything else you might need. They will, too. Many hands, light work. You are held in caring hearts and hands. Blessings for a smooth surgery and good, healing recovery. Cheers to new beginnings. ❤️
 
Thank you @Hip4life , what a lovely message. I am really hopeful that this new surgeon will be easier to talk to than the last one. :thankyou:
 
I’m sorry I made you cry, Lesley, but thankfully it was in a good way. Tears are healing and you’ve been through a lot.
A trip to Ireland sounds lovely to this Irish lassie. Lucky You! I’ve never been, but it sure would be nice to make it there one day. I hope you and your sister are able to do that come September.

I wish you all the best with your appointment today.
But really I think us Brits don't get ice like you do in the US. (They think they're doing you a big favour if they give you 2 ice cubes in a drink!!!!)
This is funny! :heehee:
 
Which part of Ireland are your family/ancestors from Layla? We are mainly Mayo girls, (North West of Eire) but I love West Cork in the South West where my friend lives. Appointment went OK. Surgeon says they will try and even my legs up but no guarantees. My right leg was uncemented so this one may be too. But again, it may not!! I have a feeling uncemented is more associated with pain or discomfort down the front of the thigh? Yet somehow I thought it was better? Can anyone enlighten me on pros and cons of cemented/uncemented? I am feeling calmer now, just busy trying to get everything in order. I am running around like a spring chicken in the day and sometimes wonder why I am having this left one done! But then, the right one was the same, then suddenly became agonising so I guess it's best to pre-empt that. (By the way, Ireland definitely more like US in that they like all their drinks, especially Guinness, super ice-cold! Not like UK!)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom