THR Terrible muscle pains

How kind @Layla . Yes, you are right, my hip has certainly taken a back seat lately. However it keeps reminding me it still needs attention - today I have been cleaning floors and moving heavy things around plus usual coal and log carrying! And it gave a few twinges! And aching a bit. But at least I can do these things and I had love, care and support through the worst of it. It is my brother in law's funeral on Wednesday so longish drive on Monday to be with my sister. Fortunately the left hip seems to be OK at the moment so that will have to wait a good while I imagine. I regret the time I spent complaining about discomfort but of course, we are always wise after an event. I am truly touched by your kindness. Xx

I hope you can forgive yourself, Lesley. You’re only human.You were living with discomfort and pain, just trying to get through your day. It seems you were a loving couple and you would have done the same for him. I’m sure he knew that.

Thankfully your other hip isn’t giving you too much grief. Wishing you safe travels to your BIL’s funeral and back home next week.

Well I am back from by BIL's funeral and a week with my sister. This week my hip is really giving me trouble plus discomfort in the other. I took advantage of some good weather and have had a couple of days where I have done 4 mile walks (with sticks) with no real difficulty. But in the evening when I am sitting it is so difficult to get comfortable. The groin aches, the buttock and thigh and below the incision is very sore. I have had to go back on Tramacet or Tramadol at night to get any decent sleep. Still using ice packs and hot water bottles. I feel like it shouldn't be like this now I am in the fifth month since the op. I feel permanently exhausted but I know that is probably mainly due to grief at the sudden loss of both my partner and dear brother in law. I know Michael would be worried for me so am glad he is at least spared that. I wonder if it will ever get better.

I‘m sorry you’re struggling, Leslie. I can’t help but wonder if the stress and physical and mental exhaustion of all you’ve been through lately isn’t contributing. I wonder if an extra dose of TLC over the next few weeks in the form of rest, ice, scaling back activity and meds when needed will help you over the hump? It’s worth a try and you deserve some peace and relaxation in your ongoing grief over such excessive loss. My heart goes out to you. Sending up a prayer and a warm hug in your direction. Take good care, feel better soon and please stay in touch. :console2:
@YogaLesley

@YogaLesley I wish I could reach through here and give you a comforting hug.
I need to scroll back a bit and catch up on your thread. The loss of your BIL on top of your beloved is just too much. I’m wondering if you could carve out a time to sit quietly and practice some meditation. I’m sure you are familiar with it’s healing effects but when under such stress it’s easy to forget. I recently went through a traumatic family event- couldn’t settle my mind to sit quietly but found some great meditation videos for guidance. It was so helpful.
Stress for me means increased pain and inflammatory reactions.
Please be kind to yourself and know you have a haven here.

Thank you @Layla and @CricketHip . I have been taking it fairly easy but today my hip is really painful, deep inside, earlier it was stinging, now it is aching and really sore. I have just taken some ibuprofen but don't understand how it can feel so painful and uncomfortable after so long, almost 5 months now. I think I will try ringing the hospital this week as my 3 month checkup was cancelled and I have heard nothing since. Did anyone else have pain at this stage?

I’m sorry to read this YogaLesley. Since your three month post op appointment was canceled, I think your idea of rescheduling it may be beneficial. Hopefully you’ll receive some advice that will lead to easing your pain. I continue to wonder if your physical pain is in part from the chronic stress you’ve been under. I’m sure there was the expected anxiety and physical discomfort leading up to your surgery, then your surgery and early recovery, add to that the unimaginable anguish you‘re suffering over the loss of your partner and then soon thereafter your BIL. That is a measurable amount of stress. It’s heartbreaking. Try to get some rest today, while icing and making use of OTC meds. Hopefully the hospital, your OS, or Consultant can advise you soon.
Hugs :console2:
@YogaLesley

It does sound a bit more painful than it should be. I would be worried too and would be seeking some educated opinions and diagnosis.
Don’t get disheartened, it may be something more like a tendinitis, bursitis or something not related to your new joint.
You’ve had such a difficult year. I sincerely hope you get some answers and some much needed peace of mind. :console2:

@YogaLesley so terribly sorry for the losses you've suffered. :console2:

As far as your op hip goes I'm in agreement with @Layla and @CricketHip . Happy you're reaching out to the surgical team, sometimes rescheduling appointments slips through the cracks. You definitely want someone to take a look at your hip and answer any questions you might have. Hopefully they can put your mind at ease.

I also think that all the stress you've been going through may well be catching up to you. I know I'm one of those crazy people that can sit through whatever just fine but when it's over I break down. Delayed reaction, guess it's that fight or flight response.

I know you had mentioned doing floors, moving heavy furniture, logs and coal. While it may be normal for you, it may be a bit much at 5 months out of major surgery. Realize you may not have much choice but just a thought. So agree that you may have ended up with tendinitis or bursitis. I'm dealing with some bursitis and IT band tightness and I'm two and a half years out, so stuff does happen and sometimes we have no idea why. Hoping you get in to see the doc and get some answers.

Blessings of comfort to you. It is not outside the realm of possibility that the stress of grief could be affecting your immune/healing systems and delaying things a bit. In any case, it would be a good thing to get that hip evaluated to put your mind at ease and perhaps get a solution to your pain. My heart goes out to you. Please take good care.

Thank you for all your comments. I have got a hospital appointment with my surgical team on Monday 7th March. To be fair they offered me next Monday 28th but I have arranged to visit old friends and really need the company so decided to stick it out till 7th. It is strange because most of the day it is not too bad but really bad at night especially in bed so sleep difficult. I know the left one is giving me pain at night as well now so am concerned about when I will feel able to have that one done. Not sure I could face the isolation just at the moment.

P. S. Sitting in an armchair in the evening also really seems to aggravate the soreness in the joint and on the outside of my right (operated) hip.

Hi Lesley,
It‘s good to hear you have an appointment on the 7th. Hopefully you’ll get to the origin of your pain, leading to resolution. I certainly hope your left hip holds out until you have the right one where you want it and you’re feeling stronger emotionally after all you’ve been through. Best wishes for a nice weekend and a great time visiting with friends next week. Take good care. Hugs:loveshwr:
@YogaLesley

Much sympathy from me, dear @YogaLesley :console2:
Sitting and Iaying down when I was too sore and tired to stand and move about was really the worst.

I tried to figure out if I could velcro myself to a corner to sleep...no joke.
Crazy with ongoing lack of sleep.

A heating pad brought some comfort...sort of.:cry:

Hang in there....and don't put things off too long.

It's good to hear you have an appointment with the surgical team. Hope you get some answers and resolution. Pain has a way of just dragging us down so happy to hear you're going to meet up with old friends. May just be what you need to get you through till the 7th.

Well, 2 sets of friends were lovely but the other was inexplicably horrible to me which was quite traumatic and threw me back into shock mode. Feeling a bit better now I am safely home and I have a very good friend coming to stay today till Wednesday and then I am going to see friends in Portugal from 14th to 24th. Will the metal in my hip be a problem at the airport?! However I have also had contact from the hospital wanting to push on with the left hip. I now have pre op for LTHR on April 4th and operation probably before the end of the month. I am feeling quite scared and worried about how I will cope. I am hoping someone will be able to stay with me for the first couple of weeks at least - it is hard to remember when I felt able to do more on my own. Michael thoroughly cosseted me so I was extremely lazy I remember and he did everything practical. I have read through my old posts and realise how little I was thinking of him and how little I did, now I just feel terrible. I will also miss a retreat, and a school reunion in May which I was really looking forward to but I daren't postpone it any longer in case they drop me back down the list, at the moment I am classed as urgent. And I can feel it getting worse daily. I know many of you must have coped on your own so any advice would be much appreciated. I feel as if life is a never-ending battle at the moment.

I’m sorry you felt let down by a few of your friends, Lesley. You know the saying, friends come into your life for a season, a reason or a lifetime. Possibly this is a friendship that’s run it’s course. If it’s a relationship you value, hopefully you’re able to work through whatever offended you, receive an apology and offer forgiveness. I hope you have an enjoyable time with the friend visiting this week, as well as with the friends you’ll be spending time with in Portugal. It seems you have no shortage of friends which is a blessing!

The prosthetic shouldn’t be a problem at the airport. At least in my experience it wasn’t. I don’t recall reading where’s it’s been an issue for anyone.

Thankfully you’re getting closer to your Left THR. It sounds like it’s time so it’s great you‘ll have it replaced soon. It’s too bad you’ll miss a few events, but good you‘re putting your health first. Hopefully with your network of friends you’re able to schedule help in the form of short stays at your home and check ins. Many recover on their own which sounds surprising, but it happens. I think you’ll the find support you need and you know we’ll always be available for encouragement, lights never go out here. Wishing you emotional and physical comfort. I hope you have a good week.
@YogaLesley

Will the metal in my hip be a problem at the airport?!
Just tell security that you have a hip replacement and they will direct you to the milli-wave machine and not the metal detector. If you set off the metal detector they are required to physically pat you down, but you won't have any issues with the milli-wave.

Unfortunately my appointment on Monday was a bit of a disappointment! I waited nearly an hour and was then told the joint therapist I was due to see was actually on annual leave! So I ended up seeing my surgeon who also had an x-ray done. In answer to my queries re ongoing pain he said the scar hadn't finished healing yet if it was still sensitive and other pains were due to the stretching of the leg, unequal leg length.... I didn't really understand but I think he implied it might be better when the other one is done. And indeed, the left one is now giving me a lot of pain at night, which it hadn't before. Of course, if I hadn't lost my partner Michael, the left one would have been all over and done with in January. Still, hopefully all done by the end of April. I suppose it will be a distraction if nothing else! As everyone keeps telling me, I am just attempting to take everything one day at a time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom