Guest viewing is limited

THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

Jasmine walked very well with her crutches at her grans funeral yesterday. She was up and about a lot but rested when she could. She didnt experience any pain at all throughtout the day. I know she's feeling more and more confident in herself and she can't wait to get out the house again.
Skateboard is being ordered this week for her. Can't wait to see her face when it turns up! Xxxx
 
Great update. So glad Jasmine is getting out and about.

New skateboard. Mom must be :yikes:! She will need Jamie's bubble wrap suit!
 
Hi @jasminesmom
it must have been a bitter sweet day for you yesterday, sad to be saying goodbye to your mum and then being proud of J.'s achievements. She sounds so good after all she has been through she must be relieved as well.

Heaven help the skateboarding! x
 
I think we are mad to let her have a skateboard!!
Jaz was so active before all this happened. She played hockey and netball for school. She would limp off the hockey pitch in pain before we knew what was wrong. She was a good surfer, better than most of the boys her age and she loved to cycle and swim. But her favourite thing was her various skateboards. Even though she knows it will be a while until she can use it, I think giving her a skateboard will be like handing her life back over to her if that makes sense.
She was very brave at my mums funeral and has been a great comfort to me for this past month.
She continues to be an inspiration to us all

Cxx
 
I think just having it will be a real buzz for her. I am quite sure she won't want to risk putting her hip in jeopardy!
On the other hand, you could always get her father to take a couple of wheels off! :heehee:
 
Snuck jaz down to her great nans caravan (only 10 mins drive away) at the beach.
Jaz has been toddling around on her crutches and spent lots of time with some of her friends.
She's having such a lovely time and is being fussed over a lot by everyone who knows her down there.
She hadn't needed any painkillers now for 3 weeks - smiles all day long!
6 week check this thursday, can't wait!
Xx
 
Yesterday
8am - leave swansea for exeter
12pm - xrays and chat with surgeon. Watched her walk without sticks, she walks well. Only an 11mm leg length difference now. Tells jaz she can start recovering without restrictions. No heavy sports. Can cycle, swim, walk and surf.
2pm - nice pub lunch before leaving exeter.
6.30 - home. Grab stuff for grans van and beach.
7.40 - "dad, will you take me in the water"? walks to beach with no sticks in wetsuit with her dad.
8pm - her dad helps her catch a wave (it's been a long time)
8.06pm - jaz stood up on her surf board for the first time in a very long time.
8.06.233333333 - gushing parents, one in sea, one on beach snivelling while holding the camera.
9pm - jaz says while smiling "think I may have overdone it a bit, I'll rest all day tomorrow mum"
She wasn't in any pain and was very pleased with herself.
I have a sneaky suspicion my daughter has been practicing walking without Her sticks behind my back!
 
HJi @jasminesmom
Parents "snivelling" - I shed a tear by the time I finished reading your post. The image of Jasmine in her wetsuit, dad helping and mum looking on ... brilliant. Even better that she knows to plan a rest day! I feel that I have got my life back 10 weeks post op but imagine to go through this as a teenager. What a brilliant Mum!

XX
 
Oh that's so heart-warming! You all must be over the moon.

When do we get to see the videos? :happydance:
 
Thanks guys!!
I took the video on her brothers iPad and he's still running around the beach until tomorrow. I'll try uploading it tomorrow evening. X
 
I can however upload her latest xrays xx l
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 306
video is too big to upload:blackcloud:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Probably just as well, young girls and internet don't really mix!

We are just grateful to hear of J's progress and yours as a mom.
 
No news from us is good news.
Jaz is doing so well, I can't believe she actually had major surgery not many weeks ago!!
She's not limping much and ditches her crutches whenever she can.
Skateboard hasn't arrived yet, she spent some time looking for the 'right' one.
I think she will return to school mid may, just in time for her exams.
Feel like I should wear a T-shirt that encourages people to get a new hip as soon as possible.
Transformation from pain/sorrow/low self asteame to what she is now is astounding..
We are so far a very very successful recovery story

Much love
Kirsty & jaz xxxx
 
Sorry it's been so long!!
Jaz is quite amazing and unstoppable now. Life has been hectic this past month with Physio, home tutor and slowly returning part time to school. The weathers been good so we rarely sit still.
Her skateboard arrived and my husband didn't want to give it to her, he was petrified that she would hurt herself on it. So we compromised and his it under her bed. Our kids have searched the house from top to bottom at christmas looking for their prezzies. The best hiding place we ever found was directly under their beds, much to our amusement. So we hid the skateboard under the bed and waited.
As you can imagine a teenage girls bedroom is generally a bio-hazard zone thats only entered under extreme caution. After a couple of weeks Jasmine finally discovered it and went nuts that it had been under there. She's been taking it out with her and using it carefully. I can't tell you all how happy she is now, she beams laughs and sings and hasnt ahead a tear for a long time.
Her Physio is going well but she still isnt putting her heal down when she walks, hopefully this will get better with time. She's been surfing a couple of times with her dad and is getting more and more confident with herself every day.
Last weekend it took me two days to purduade her to go for a long walk with us. She was so nervous and kept saying she couldn't do it. Well, she did it!! It's all about building up her confidence and of course her general fitness now. She still looks up at the big hill and says she can't but I think she may secretly think she can now.
She still wants to spend most of her time with me but is getting out and about with her friends more and more.
Again, I can't say this enough. A huge thank you to you all for all of your support and a bigger and bestest thank you to the wonderful Josephine for your kindness and help. Jasmine would not be the happy girl she is now were it not for you!
Xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx



I hope everyone else is doing ok with their recovery xxx
 
Hi @jasminesmom, that's so good to hear about Jasmine. She's a very brave girl after what she's been through. Not just physically but all the emotional side of things too. Im so proud that she went on a skateboard...now that was brave and I can fully understand your husbands trepidation at this. It's nice to hear that's she's going back to being a normal teenager, taking risks and not being wrapped in cotton wool. It was so good she walked with you the other day. Like you said it is all about rebuilding her confidence in her abilities xx

Please send her my love and tell her it's so lovely to hear a happy every after!!!

Love Nana moon 27 xx
 
Back
Top Bottom