Guest viewing is limited

THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

Oh what an awful blow for you to have to cope with all this over again. Feeling for you all, especially Mum as u have to cope with most of the fall out.
However, you dealt with Jazz's situation with so much compassion & understanding, you have been an amazing Mum.....I know you will find the resources within you that you need to do it again with Sam.
Jazz sounds like a lovely girl & it will bring her closer to her brother as she can help him cope, having been there.
Wishing you all the best......let us know how Sam gets on. Xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sincerest condolences on Sam being in the early stages of the same condition. Was the surgery to put a screw in to hold the head in place? Best wishes. Anxious to hear the specialists prescription.
 
What can I say @jasminesmom ! You must be totally exhausted with all this. But I agree with copsham - you are certainly not bad mom - on the contrary! You and your family are strong and better yet - coping together. Sam will get through this (I am sure with Jaz's help). You did the right thing to wait for the expert!

Please keep us updated. Everyone here at BoneSmart thinks of you often and we are with you all the way. If you would like to start another thread just for Sam please do or give a shout and we will help you with this. Take care!
 
Geez!! What bad luck... what an understatement!!! I can't believe this is happening again for you @jasminesmom - though of course "it's" NOT happening is it?? This time you are starting from a position of strength: you have knowledge (knowledge IS power) connections, experience and confidence in your opinions... all in all you are approaching it from a far better position; you will NOT have to see Sam go down the track that Jasmine did, you know the pitfalls and things that you have to avoid... all these are "positives" in a really sh!tty situation for you.

Keep looking for those silver linings, they're there. Know that there are people all over the world that are pulling for you. Keep us informed as to what happens.

You can do this, you know you can... you just did! I hate that you have to face it all again so soon, without real time to revel in Jasimine's improvements, as I'm sure you do... but you have proof how strong you all are so at least you won't have the angst of second guessing yourself this time around

Best of luck, my (Welsh) dad would advise you to throw some salt in the fire.... maybe worth a try:shrug:

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
You are a great Mom!, being sure you son gets the best care, not second best.
Happy to hear Jasmine is doing so well, she will be a wonderful support for your son.
Sending positive thoughts your way for an uneventful surgery for Sam.
 
I'm so very sorry to hear this news about your son. I also think you were so wise to slow things down and wait for the specialist and a solid plan. A few days or weeks won't matter in the long run. A couple of things are in your favor here. You know so much about this condition and you are able to participate and even direct proper care. No one's going to put anything over on you! And, because of Jasmine's alertness to the symptoms, Sam's problem has been caught at the earliest stage. This may make a huge difference in how things go.

Of course, you'll be on pins and needles until the specialist returns and a proper evaluation is done. But I'm so thankful that this is all being addressed now. You are a wonderful, strong family and you will get through this. I'm praying for you all. Please let us know how things go.
 
@jasminesmom, I don't read 'bad mom' anywhere throughout any of these posts. I read strong, concerned, searching, supportive, human, loving mom.
You and your family are in my prayers. I'm sorry Jasmine, Sam, you, and your husband have had to go through all of this.
Keep asking those questions. You are your children's advocate and they're darned lucky to have such a terrific mother. *HUGS*
 
Thank you so much guys you are all amazing!
Not feeling great tonight. Sams tv broke (I think) and I couldn't get a picture on it, tried all day long to fix it. He's accidentally smashed his iPad screen, again and can't use it so no Xbox or tv in his room. He's whinged, he's moaned, he's stropped, hes whined again, moaned some more, all day long. he's constantly asked for food and drinks and rung the bloody bell ( yes the BELL) so many times I've nearly shoved it where the sun doesn't shine. I've cooked constantly, washed up more times than I can count and made T that everyone snubbed because it was healthy. By the time Jaz came home from school and demanded I dye her hair immediately I had a bit of a girlie strop, slammed the washing machine door and hid up our attic (not a pleasant converted attic, one that's covered in cobwebs, where you throw your junk up and forget about it for eternity) for an hour and felt very very guilty. I felt like I couldn't do it, couldn't go through this again for God knows how long.
Sach (husband) came home, tried to whinge about his day, quickly assessed wife's fragile red eyed state. grabbed the Hoover, looked busy, tried to fix SAMs tv but couldnt - if he'd fixed it I would've screamed and thrown it at him. ate his healthy T, lied and told me it was lovely then asked me if I wanted to go back to work and he would stay at home and look after Sam.. Well that finished me off! reminded me why I married him. I'm sure he was only bluffing but I appreciated what he said all the same.
I'm just couldn't do that to Sam, he's my baby and he needs me.. It's his turn.. I've got to man up and get my head around life standing still again for a while and stop feeling sorry for myself - maybe list more silver linings would be useful.
Tomorrow will be better. I'm hiding the bell, (dumb move giving him the BELL in the first place) will pick a film to watch with him and pretend that everything is perfectly normal.

Think I need to research SUFE's in siblings. might help me to understand why both my babies have this problem and give me something to do inbetween my daily marathon cooking sessions.
 
What can I say @jasminesmom ! You must b

Please keep us updated. Everyone here at BoneSmart thinks of you often and we are with you all the way. If you would like to start another thread just for Sam please do or give a shout and we will help you with this. Take care!

What thread would i need for Sam? Could do with researching sibling SUFE's
 
Sweetheart, you're perfectly okay in this thread.

Let me try to take a little of the stress out of this situation for you by giving you some information about SUFE's. It's a bit of an anatomy lesson so hope it doesn't put you to sleep! BTW, this is probably information a lot of doctors and nurses don't know! :wink:

First, concerns the blood supply to the adolescent hip. Because, as you probably know, the thigh bone (femur) grows in three parts: an epiphysis at each end and the metaphysis in the middle. These are mostly cartilage in infants, gradually becoming bone from the middle as years pass. But each part has its own blood supply and in the hip joint, it is through a very substantial ligament with a good artery and vein which goes from the bottom of the socket to the femoral head. In adulthood, these blood vessels shrink and almost close so just the ligament remains. But in adolescence, the blood supply is very brisk and keeps the epiphysis (or femoral head) alive.

[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE


So when the epiphysis is displaced, it still has a blood supply so it can be fixed into place with screws and, all being well, as growth continues the epiphysis survives and becomes more bone than cartilage.

Displacement is graded, of course, and the mild state is more easily fixed. The moderate state can be fixed but the severe can be a struggle to get back into place and may even require open surgery to achieve that. This is known as a Dunn's operation.

[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE


Either way the fixation is the same with one or more screws but in most cases, early fixation works and works well with complications like AVN being uncommon.

[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE


Hope this helps some.
 
Hi @Josephine a friend sent me this link about three sisters who all had SUFE's. Have read it but there doesn't seem to be any particular reason for them all having it that I can decifer, Maybe there is I just can't see it.
now both my children have developed sufe's there must be a reason. Their own children have increased risks now but there's very little i can find online so far. There's no family history from either side and the only medical problem was over active thyroid when my mother was in her early 40's.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's because nobody knows why it happens or what causes it. It's a mystery
 
@Josephine, that's the conclusion I've sadly come to.
Sam's had his surgery, both hips pinned. Dr was amazing and great to talk to and go through all our worries. Our amazing physiotherapist came in with us for the consultation purely to offer her support. He's very sore and struggling to move because of the pain. Jaz chatted to him about it but he was too grumpy to listen to her. She did also understand his grumpiness but she's trying to be as supportive as she can to him. I can say till I'm blue in the face that I know what he's going through but only jasmine fully understands it. I'm glad it's winters and raining outside, makes it easier to be housebound again.
Much love to you all xxxxxx
 
Honey, there is one thing that will relieve you of his grumpiness - don't let them start pushing him to do physio or exercises. There is minimal muscle damage in this surgery and he really, really doesn't need any. Besides which, he's good and young - he'll bounce back all on his own eventually. You see if I'm not right!
 
Very inspiring, intense, and loving account of your perseverance, in spite of all obstacles your family has encountered your journey is indeed touching. In raising our kids, we go to any length for their well being, no doubt we'd die for them to make them better. This thread is very proof of that.
I have to say, its not an easy ride for an adult that has to undergo certain things of this sort on his/her self, but to see your child go through it all is overwhelming.

My oldest daughter has RA and had a hip replacement at 27,(6yrs ago), and my youngest daughter had osteo-myelitis at 3yrs old(that was many years ago) and took 2 months to diagnose, with 2 surgeries that followed.., and both were tough cases, but Jasmines case is incredible, as well as heartbreaking, and it seems the outcome and future are very bright for her, thats very cool.
There is so much hope, now that you've found a path, and have a plan. I'm very hopeful for these kids to have full recovery... as they have a very beautiful family that love them very much. Thanks for sharing that inspiring story, especially through tough times.. You're all very brave in my mind... and give many of us very much hope that we need. Best wishes for a smooth recovery for your whole family.
 
Thank you @DGrant. It touches me the kindness and support from total strangers across our huge oceans!!!

Two months house bound at home with a smelly (I'm not kidding) teenage boy with kitten scratches for scars compared to Jaz tiger wounds and I wouldn't change a thing for the life of me... I've gone stir crazy at times but he's recovery so well. He's loved being at home sat (smelly) in his pants, playing games clicking his fingers every five seconds - driven me up the wall, but, those precious times are to be treasured!
Today I thought it would be a good idea to educate my son on how to prepare the turkey (searching for the giblets bag. Eweeeee), well he wretched a lot, left the kitchen in disgust, shouted that I'd scarred him for life and Im quite sure I've turned him into a vegetarian.
Christmas in our house isn't about how much we spend (that's what birthdays are for) it's about family and playing games and spending time together. Can't wAit for tomorrow!!!

Happy happy Christmas to all of you lovely people on here, especially Josephine xxxxxxxx
 
Today I thought it would be a good idea to educate my son on how to prepare the turkey (searching for the giblets bag. Eweeeee), well he wretched a lot, left the kitchen in disgust, shouted that I'd scarred him for life and Im quite sure I've turned him into a vegetarian.
That gave me a full on belly laugh! Well done you!
 
Hi all, hope you are all doing ok.
Quick update. Sam's doing well and will be ready to return to school in January -pheeeewwww!!!
Jaz says hi to all of you and wishes you a very happy new year.
She's pursuaded us to let her have a party in our house for New Years eve... Ive been having palpitation, panic attacks and have felt sick since saying yes. She's had us all decorating, de cluttering, dusting, polishing and generally cracking the whip to get everything ready for her party.
I'm absolutly terrified at the thought of 30 15/16 year olds partying in our house.. I very much remember what I was like at her age, I was awful!!
I'm glad in a way because it shows shes getting back Her confidence which as you know she all but totally lost.
My husband and I will be staying here till 10/11 then popping down the road to our friends till 1 ish.. Ive checked, its a 6 minute sprint home if anything goes wrong or they need us.
Am I insane?????
I shall be poping to say helloooo in the social room but I can't find the New Years eve link yet, is it up yet?
 
Hi @jasminesmom ! Just wanted to say thinking of you a lot especially tomorrow night!! I couldn't believe it when I read (very late) about your Sam, but at least you have the mixed blessing I guess of knowing what you're dealing with and up against, and it sounds like the docs are well on top of it and hopefully caught it at an earlier stage than with Jaz. Like you I would want to know why both your children have been affected by this, but there is a lot about rare hip diseases they don't yet understand- as usual probably some sort of genetic predisposition which may be unveiled somehow... I had Perthes disease as a child (which led to my THR at age 19) which also sometimes runs in families but often doesn't, seems to particularly affect very active kids but not always clear why. I have to say I constantly watch how my kids walk as slightly paranoid about them having the same problems I did, though thankfully so far so good.
I am so pleased to read how happy Jaz is and how active she is again- it is simply wonderful and in no small part down to her amazing parents. These years are so critical and it is brilliant than she is able to enjoy them like a "normal teenager" for want of a better expression (normality if over-rated in my opinion though!!).
Hope you all have a great evening tomorrow and Happy New Year to your lovely, brave and inspirational family x
 
Thank you @niknak79. I bet you constantly watch the kids, how old are they ?
i think my personality wants to always desperatly understand how things work, why things are etc. I often take things apart to see how they work, but weird I know but ive always been like that. It is frustrating to not know why but maybe Jaz and Sam will have some answers in their lifetime.
Ive read your thread and I find it really interesting to read you were so young the first time around amd now in your 30's is it time for a revision? We talked long and hard about Jaz having more than one hip replacement amd i would be very interested to hear the difference in your life then and now and the impact it's having on you now xxxx
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom