Guest viewing is limited

THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

What a heartwarming update on dear Jasmine! And I loved the story of her skateboard being right under her own bed. How funny! Please continue to pass on how things are going whenever you can. It is just wonderful to read!
 
Fabulous ! Sounds like good news all round... You sound such a lovely family ...
Loving your skateboard story.... Xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @jasminesmom
It is so great when things work out well. I still laugh to myself if I think of jasmine with her scar from the sharks bite LOL! You have really been a wonderful mum to her. So glad you can see the light at the end of her tunnel. Xx
 
I think I'm going to have a really good cry! I'm seeing Richard Warner on Saturday and I shall print off your post for him.
 
Thanks guys!! My kids are both lovely and have helped me grow as a person/mother. They've made it easy for me to be their mum.
ive just found Bonesmart on facebook. Josephine, I'll try to upload the surfing video this afternoon. That is if I can locate my son and his iPad - he's a bit feral at this time of the year. There won't be any videos of jaz on skateboard, can't bring myself to look just yet xx
 
So glad Jasmine is getting the adolescence she deserves.... at last @jasminesmom It's heading into winter here now so I'm a bit jealous of the swimming and surfing (well it's about 20 Celcius in the day, but that's too cold for us to swim in, it's what you get used to I suppose) I used to surf, about 40 years ago! have only body surfed since I had my kids, and not much of that once I started thinking about the things with teeth in the Ocean :rotfl:

Long may you walk together, family is everything :) and if Jasmine chooses not to walk with you I hope that it's because you just move to SLOW for her

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
@jasminesmom I have read your thread from start to end over the last two days. I cried so many tears, both happy and sad ones. I am so pleased that Jaz has finally got her life back and is starting to do the things she loves doing.
I work in a school and I have seen the determination some children have despite the pain they are in for various reasons. Jasmine sounds like a very determined young lady, trying to keep up with her peers even though she was suffering so badly. I have a feeling she will go a long way and reach all the goals she sets herself.
You are an amazing mum and it must have been so painful for you to feel that you were getting nowhere with the health authorities. Josephine did an amazing job for you, in finding a surgeon who you could go to. But its you who made it happen and followed through with the advice.
Good luck for the future, it must be looking bright right now xx
 
@Liznwiz thank you!!
She really has made it easy for me to be her mum.
I do read out to her what you kind lovely people say, it makes her smile.
It's been only three months since my mum died and ive experienced a few low times and I'm sure I have a while to go before that gets better. Jaz has in turn helped me through a lot of heartache, has made me smile and laugh and given me a reason to be thankful.

Lots and lots of love to you all
Love kirsty & jaz xxxx

Photo of the much loved 'penny board' and a little somethig for Josephine xxxx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE
    image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 341
  • [Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 253
What a wonderful post to read!!! You are such special people and that first image brings a lump to my throat. I'm so happy for Jasmine's new life and for your joy in watching her grow to a beautiful, active young woman.
 
Jasmine - what a wonderful, sensitive, caring young woman you are - as Jamie indicated, you are special :)

@jasminesmom - how proud you must be to have such a wonderful daughter- Jasmine is lucky to have such a wonderful Mum :)
 
Jasminesmom has always been very appreciative of the help Jo's given her, hasn't she? I don't go on the hippie side very often, but I do remember at least one other post that thanked Jo for all her help.
I'm very glad things have worked out so well for Jasmine.
 
Thanks guys, all of you are so supportive and kind!!

Ive just uploaded the video we took of jaz surfing at her 6week Mark.
Facebook, bonesmart page.
Hasn't been approved yet so can't see it on facebook
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The video file exceeds the 1MGB the site allows for uploads. Ive tried to reduce the file. Will have another go for you x
 
:bawl::bawl:Hi guys, it's been quite a while since posting anything...
Jaz is doing wonderfully, she had the best summer she could've wished for. She got herself a waitressing job and spent her earnings on whimsical girlie items. She cruised on her skateboard to look cool. Her limp has improved greatly with time but is still there and a little worse when she's tired. I returned to work ( boooohooooo) and we both experienced a bit of separation anxiety. I slung her down the caravan for the summer with her great gran and all of her cousins. I watched my beautiful, funny, confident daughter return and begin to enjoy life again. She still wears a small scarred veil around herself because of what she went through. I try to remind her that her metaphorical and physical scars are what makes us all, those experiences mould us and only we can chose to grow form them, to not let them marr us but to teach us how precious life is, how important the people are around us, to have empathy for others, to be better people despite our knock backs. She's certainly growing up to be a strong independent young lady.
Returned to school for her final year and is doing well and achieving good marks despite the huge amount of time off she's had for the past three years.
We thought that life was returning to normal, we even tired to plan a family holiday in the new year, knowing that she would be able to walk around, swim and enjoy herself, the normal things a family does together while on holiday. I took on a new winter job to see me through until my spring summer jab kicks in. Life was looking rosie again.

"Mum, Sam's (13 year old son) told me his hip hurts a few times" . Jaz felt concerned that her brother had similar symptoms to her three years ago. I chatted to Sam and asked him where it hurt, how much pain etc. he didn't seem too bothered and said it ached a little now and again. I had it in my head that if he mentioned it for more than two week I would get a doctors appointment. I Hoped he had just strained it jumping about and skateboarding all summer. He didn't ask for pain killers and so I waited.....

Decided to bypass the GP's and walked him into A&E on the 3rd of November. Triage nurse rolled her eyes at us when she asked why I hadn't taken him to his GP first. Explained about his sisters SUFE. A four hour wait, was feeling slightly guilty about sitting in A&E, all the media coverage of people abusing the NHS etc was rolling around my head, after all he wasn't in much pain etc.
we were called to look at the X-rays and there it was as clear as day, her brother has a slipped-upper femoral epiphysis just like Jaz had.
Well, I blew the 'strong mother of the year' award and sobbed, I made him person, I sobbed more as they admitted him immediately. While still sobbing I decided to take him home, it was late evening and he was stinking (as boys are after school) he hadn't eaten and I was having a meltdown of epic proportions. This was against medical advice ( and the bad mother award goes to........) but I promised he wouldn't put any weight on his hip, we still had Jaz wheelchair and told then we would return at dawn nil by mouth for surgery the following day. I'm glad we went home, Jaz was beside herself and my husband sobbed too, which made us all cry even more. Got him ready, fed him, packed us both a bag and tried but failed to sleep all night.
Now we know from bitter experience what we all were about to go through, talked to Sam lots as we got to hospital and he was prepared to have operation that morning. Jaz' paediatric physiotherapist ( who's been with us for three years) got wind we were there and turned up immediately. She gave me a hug and I had a little weep again.
Anyway, as the huge entorage of doctors and nurses gathered around his bed for thier 40 second medical meeting, prepping him for surgery and talking in medical code to each other while not really looking at us or needing our involvement whatsoever, I piped up....
I asked a few questions, I told them about Jaz, I asked about leg length etc. the consultant seemed taken aback and there was a quiet intake of breath and the entourage stepped in a little closer.. A few questioned were not answered and I was told that the paed ortho surgeons were both away on holiday. "Ok, stop yourselves right there, I refuse to sign consent until some of my concerns have been discussed and a long term plan is put is place for my son"...... And in second place, the bad mother award goes to........
I knew he wasn't in too much pain and I knew we needed to have our concerns adrresed this time around. Over my dead body was going through what Jaz did. I think needs the time to get our heads around it. A 40 second meeting was not enough for us second time around. It was jasmines Physio who later that day sat down with me to chat about Sam and the difference between him and his sister. I had to look from the other end of the scale compared to Jaz, that AVN might not happen because it's been caught early enough, still no guarantee in my opinion. Jaz Physio therapist was wonderful. She knows us, she knows everything we've been through and has been the one person (apart from Jo) to help us fight for Jaz at every step. I asked her for her honest opinion (don't think they're really supposed to do this) and she said I'd done the right thing refusing surgery and it was best to wait for the specialist to come off leave. She supported us coming. Home to wait on strict bed rest for Sam.. This time we have very informed opinions. We are due to return nil by mouth on the 16th.

So here we are again......metaphoric scars....find the silver linings.
Jaz is being lovely to her brother - miracle
i get to spend quality time with my son - I had better get good at XBOX or I can forget quality time!
I get to give up yet another job - kids didn't want Christmas presents anyway, they're very overrated or that's what I'll be campaigning towards.
The entire household gets to swap bedrooms(again), all of which will need a new lick of paint..... Guess that's my job now... Really not sure this ones a silver lining.
I get to have the heating on ALL day - husband cannot whinge.. That ones a definite silver lining.
We get to go into tHis with our eyes open, fully prepared and fully armed with whatever comes our way.
Who needs a holiday when we live on the Gower, best beaches in the world
Leaving this one blank....... I'm sure theres a few more silver linigs That will come up

Sorry it's a long one.. I hope some of you have much better news to tell me xxxx


:bawl::shrug::dubious::tantrum2::hairpulling::banghead::blackcloud::yikes::tiredwheel::groan:
 
@jasminesmom you don't deserve this - BTW "bad mom" is brilliant mom really! Hope all pans out as well as it can under the circumstances. Good to hear Jasmine's development you and her really are stars!

My little grandson aged five has developed a limp when he sees me and says it is his hip. Fortunaletly it disappears when I am not with him.

I am rushing out now but will catch up more soon
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom