THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

Hi @jasminesmom Glad you're all home and on the path to healing. Please don't worry yourself too much about the 90 degree 'rule'... I made myself sick with worrying about it, seeing it as making the recovery miserable; my OS put it all into perspective... he is a very straight talker!

For a start he NEVER used the word 'restrictions' he referred to the adjustments made to your normal way of doing things as "precautions" - once I saw them as designed to protect me not restrict me I somehow felt less resentful of them :shrug: He also said they are designed to reduce the ALREADY VERY SMALL risk of dislocation... and that if I were to observe them as often as I could then the chances of me dislocating my hip on the odd occasion I didn't were very slight indeed. I literally went from laying stiff in bed, scared witless that I would roll over in my sleep and instantly dislocate my hip to seeing that this was something I COULD somewhat control, and set about doing the best I could. He pointed out that from HIS point of view, a dislocation (provided it was explicable) would not be considered a complication of surgery... it would HURT ME and I'd have to be more cautious after getting it relocated, but not a "real problem" for him - I decided "HURT" was enough reason to try and avoid it:heehee: In short he said not to let them spoil the recovery, so I didn't :snork:

In the end most of the precautions :wink: were nowhere near as hard to observe as I had imagined they would be. That said after twelve weeks (yeah, I'm a lucky 12 weeker :rotfl:) I was more than happy to ditch them and try to reach my toes... just to be assured that they'd put a new hip in... can't "test it" without breaking dem rules:loll: and I was more than "more than" happy to sleep on anything but my back! Interestingly, I now find I can get quite comfortable on my back, when I "had to" it was the bain of my life!

You sound like you've got a handle on the Physio thing, don't rush into it... you'll find Jaz will be moving more fluidly all the time... movement without fear of pain is a marvellous thing. That will be the time, in a few weeks, when adhering to the precautions will take a bit more of a conscious effort! The PT will help adjust her gait and the rest will fall into place. I was amazed at how quickly my limp resolved itself... I felt out of balance at first... the old "apparent LLD, or Leg Length Differential" which was in fact making the adjustment to having both legs the SAME length... having worn a few centimetres off the "old one" . I got some (very basic) pointers towards good gait, and in a week or so realized the limp was all but gone! and I'd had it for a loooooong time:rotfl:

Some people set their alarms for the "middle of the night" dose, especially early in the piece. I never did, but my meds included a slow release Tramadol at bed time, so I was taking my meds "by the clock". If I woke up, even if I had no pain I took some paracetemol... just in case, and I'd change out my ice packs for the same reason. I can honestly say I didn't have much pain - sleep was uncomfortable but not from the hip, more from the unnatural sleeping position and extra pillows in the bed etc... my heels got unbelievably sore in the first two weeks from rubbing on the bed (as you can't "twist" them out of the way, and I was advised by my OS to not elevate at night to try and get some stretch back into my psoas - on the nights I couldn't stand it I elevated... it helped my back, hip AND heels!! If Jaz hasn't been told not to elevate I'd be elevating A LOT :heehee:) and of course sometimes in THR recovery sleep is just elusive... who knows why. One night I had "log leg", that was my worst night - but still not what I'd call painful, just unpleasant.

Hope the recovery continues apace, I'm sure it will

Hwyl am nawr

Donnax
 
Thanks Donna
Luckily she's quite happy on her back at night and seems quite comfortable. She has said her heel hurts today. If she's a lucky girl I might give her a foot rub to ease it.
District nurse came to check her surgical wound but decided not to yet... Gutted, I like a gruesome wound.
 
Thanks holly, it's been a long road but the futures bright again xx
 
I'm so glad to hear all this good news!!! You mention that Jasmine's heel hurts a bit. That can be from the pressure of lying in bed for extended periods....pressure sores. You might put a folded towel or small pillow under her calves to elevate her heels slightly off the bed now and then just as a precaution. It also helps if she can change position even slightly every few hours.
 
That makes sense Jamie. She had it elevated as much as possible x
 
Jaz doing well. She much more mobile than I thought she'd be. Sadly my mother died on Tuesday in my fathers arms at home. It was sudden but not unexpected. Took jaz and her brother to my dads a short distance away because our entire family came up for the day. She did over do it a bit, needed to ask her to keep resting and not move around too much.
Her heel seems ok, I've made sure her legs elevated and have a soft pillow under her heel.
I'm very grateful my mum was able to know jaz was on the road to recovery before she passed.
Life throws lots of things at you at different times, sometimes at the same time. I'm lucky to have such a loving and close family and will accept our sorrow at this time.
Jaz doing so well, I'm so proud xx
 
@jasminesmom my sincere condolances on the loss of your Mother. As if you aren't dealing with enough at the moment! Please know you are in our thoughts.

Regarding your daughter's heel, common problem! I used the towel trick but also applied one of those large blister plasters to the back of my sore heel. Worked great!
 
Sincerest condolences on the untimely death of your mother. Prayers for you and your family.
 
So sorry to hear of your mother's passing @jasminesmom ... I am glad you can take comfort from the fact that your Mother knew Jaz was on the way to a much brighter future.

If Jasmine's heels are still sore, just put the soft pillow up under her calf a little, so her heel is "suspended" very slightly off the bed, there are moisture booties available too - which make your feet feel fantastic... and they're reusable up to 40 times so fit for Mum when teenager is finished with 'em :cool: It won't last much longer anyway, she'll be moving her legs around a lot more every day.

Thinking of you all

Donna
 
Hi Jasminesmom Your daughters story has a happy ending a new hip hoping she has a very smooth recover. Your story made me feel so emotional as she is so young but the good thing is she will now have a better chance to do the things she would have missed without this new hip. The best thing to is that you have found bonesmart. This amazing place is where I found the answers that have helped me so much so many caring people who helped me feel normal and showed me that I was not along. Josephine is amazing to she has the answers and really cares along with all of the other advisors and friends you will meet here. I wish you both so much happiness a new start with a new hip hoping her journey will take her where she wants to go and the possibilities are now endless.

I also believe that one of the most important parts of this recovery and surgery is having support some one who looks out for you and cares how you are doing. I think this care and love are one of the reasons that we manage going through all we do with replacements support is so important .Your love for your daughter and how much you have tried to improve her quality of life easy to see you really love her wanting the best for her. You will find so much support friendships that will help along your paths and with the knowledge that Josephine can give you no where else this is so abundant. I also want to express my condolences on the passing of your Mom .

I know how hard it is as my Dad died two weeks before my first replacement missing him wishing I could talk to him but knowing he was there even so. My husband has been the best so much appreciating his support during mine. Wishing you all the best and happiness for your daughter such a nice ending to such a difficult journey. Now looking forward onward into the best life she could imagine she will be on her way and knowing when she needs someone to help you and her family will be there with her such an important part of this journey love. Holly
 
My condolences on the loss of your Mom, glad she knew Jaz was on the mend and will have her life back.
 
I echo everyone else's condolences with this

[Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE
 
So, so sorry about your mom. But glad that Jasmine is doing well. You are a terrific mom.
 
Thanks guys !! Your so kind!
Nurse came to change dressing today. Wow her surgical scar looks good, no bleeding or weeping and very neat. It's going through her other longer scar and looks like a big Y running down her thigh. They left steri strips on so can't fully see the stitches yet (gutted) and very little brushing around wound.
Doing everything we can to stop her heel bothering her but she rarely complains about and isnt complaining of hip/leg pain at all.
Doing well xxx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] teenager hip replacement after SUFE
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 299
Hi Jasminesmum - I have just scanned through your thread and wanted to say hi and wish you all the very best. I'm so sorry about your Mum also.

I had my hip replaced at 19 in the middle of my second year at uni (2.5 years after I started periods, which were quite late). I had been waiting for it since about age 14 following six surgeries (three femoral osteotomies and screw/plate removals). Like your Jaz I couldn't join in with my friends, I had a 3cm leg length discrepancy so had to wear these awful raised boots and I was on crutches for 2 years before the replacement. The pain though was the worst - had to have sleeping pills most nights to get me through and was popping codeine in worrying amounts. The hip replacement was honestly the best thing ever and has surpassed expectations.

Six months after the replacement I went on an scuba diving expedition to Malaysia for 3 months (led by myself). At 22 I cycled 200 miles in 2 days for charity (I hadn't been able to cycle since 13 before my replacement). At 25 I had my first baby, followed by two more before I turned 30! I am now 35 and I think my hip beginning to tell it's time for another one - but that is 16 years post op and I definitely have put it through it's paces! I did keep to the rule about no impact sports though :) There is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel.

I now have a leg length discrepancy of 8mm only- I wear orthotics with a slight raise.
I have never really been able to wear heels, but I've got over that. Trainers all the way!
Having had hip probs for most of my childhood has had a huge impact on me, but in a mostly positive way I think- I am very determined and don't let much faze me, and that has made a huge difference as I negotiated growing up and getting jobs etc... And I don't mind being a bit different anymore! Still get the nickname of "hopalong" from my old school mates though!

You sound like an amazing mum. My mum is too! - she fought for second opinions and we had my op in London though we come from south Hampshire. She held my hand when I needed it (often) and gave me a proverbial kick up the backside when I needed it (often when it comes to sticking to physio!). She also stopped me from wallowing in self pity when things were hard- but let me cry on her shoulder when I needed to. I actually appreciate her even more now I have children of my own.

Thinking of you all especially Jaz.
 
PS. I also have the Y scar! It has faded beautifully over the years though. I used to pretend it was a shark bite lol!
 
Just read your post out to jaz and made her smile, especially the shark bite!
It's so great to hear from someone who went through similar at a young age.
I know she's on the road to recovery at last. Biggest wish is for her to feel normal again amongst her peers. I do firmly believe that what's she's been through will make her a much stronger adult, she's already such a strong young lady.
I'm trying not to let her do too much too soon, I'm sure we will have a few battles regarding that subject!
Will be hard for me to slowly unwrap the cotton wool and allow her to take ownership of her own recovery.
Everyday she looks and feels better xxx
 
I love the idea that Jasmine has a shark bite much more exciting than a hip op. Well done as a wonderful mum with an outstanding daughter!!
Karen
 
@copsham
I think ive done it and will add a smiley to complete my forum/post training.
What does ROTFL mean? If I ask the kids they'll roll their eyes at me
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom