THR Tallguy79 recovery<

I think you'll be surprised at how easy it is to navigate stairs.
I'm assuming they had you do a few stairs before discharge from the hospital....
I did stairs everyday with my husband in the first weeks of recovery just as an exercise.
Didn't even need to use the stairs as everything I needed for recovery was on my main level.
Now steep steps....sounds a little scarier but if you take it slow in these early weeks you'll be fine.

AC running non stop in my home also. Hate it but I dislike temps hovering around 100 even worse!
I notice you're Wisconsin so I'm sure we're sharing the same weather.
Have a good one!
@tallguy79
 
The only issue I had with stairs was waiting for the hubs to bring my walker up and down while I was still using the walker. That was motivation to transition to the cane. Can you manage that ok if you're still primarily using a walker @tallguy79?
 
The stairs to the basement are steep so a little nervous going down by myself. I only have a rail on the right side going down. I should have the crutch or cane in my right hand but I need my right hand for the railing so i'm not sure if there is enough support for my left hip. I guess PT will know the best way to navigate them and i'll work with him at least a couple times before I do it myself.

I will only use my walker on the main level. If I go down stairs to my bedroom I will use the same crutch or cane to get around downstairs that I use to get me downstairs.
 
I'll bet the OS's office gets back to you today about the meds. Probably got put on the back burner with the holiday weekend. I'd call again this morning. You know the dumb old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"
Get squeaky!!

@tallguy79

@Layla Still nothing from the OS's office. I called and they said there is one person going over the refill requests and she also has to work in the clinic all day so it could take hours to get to me. If she doesn't get to me by 4P then it won't be approved by Worker's Comp until tomorrow. I will have to go 24 hours with no narcotic meds. Too soon for that. I'm at a 6 or 7 often even with Oxycodone. How will I get thru the night without it? I may have to go to the hospital and get admitted for pain management. Worker's Comp won't like that but it may be necessary. Ice and Tylenol only go so far.
 
I would call the OS's office again and tell them you want to talk to your OS's PA (Physician Assistant) and hopefully he/she can get the process moving. I would use the call as an opportunity to tell the PA what your pain level is at your current dose. You may need your meds adjusted. Then while you have the PA on the phone ask if they can move this process along for you. It's worth a try....
@tallguy79
 
Unfortunately there is no way to get a hold of the OS or his PA. The OS never communicates with patients outside the clinic/hospital and to get a hold of the PA you have to leave a message and they get back to you when available which is usually many hours later. It's been this way every time since my original injury over a year ago.
 
I may have to go to the hospital and get admitted for pain management.
Well if Layla's suggestion doesn't work I would get yourself to the hospital. No choice really - you need your meds this early out.
 
Call right now and leave a message for the PA.
You may get lucky and get a return phone call in enough time to get the paperwork processed
for the refill. Once 4:00 rolls around and you know it's hopeless for today, then consider the ER as you mentioned.
@tallguy79
 
Dumb question..Can you do leg raises on your non op leg? I did all of the PT for weeks before surgery and always did my non op leg too. It gave me a baseline and also helped build strength in it. I know someone on another thread said how they wish they would have built some upper body strength beforehand as it comes in handy with a post op leg.
Everyone is different especially when it comes to the PT. Every OS has different ideas on what PT should be and then every PT has their take on it as does every patient.
Just like the PT and pain everyone is different. I didn't even fill my prescription for the Oxy the OS prescribed, I had a few Hydro as leftovers and didn't use 15 of them total.
 
Yes I can do leg raises with non op leg. I was doing leg raises with both legs pre-op. Now I can only do non op leg. Leg raises on OP leg hurt badly. One rep with increase pain for hours.

I just called WC and they said they haven't gotten approval from who they need approval from. Once they do then they will immediately approve the Oxycodone. At this time it doesn't look like it will happen tonight. I guess I will have to call pharmacy and have them fill prescription and I will pay cash. Hopefully WC pays me back as required.
 
He didn't seem too happy that I wasn't doing any exercises. He doesn't think the leg lifts are too aggressive but they sure did cause me a lot of pain for several days.

He can be unhappy...you can be without extra pain.

I paid or of pocket for a few of my scripts. They were under 30 dollars.
Try not to stress...it is going to get easier!:console2:
 
They finally got it approved at 7:15pm local time. I just took them and will go to bed at 8:30. It's been a long day. Probably in too much pain to get it down enough to sleep but it will get better now. Prescription was only for 40 and they probably won't give me more so hopefully this pain gets better quick.
 
Good to hear you've got meds for tonight. Hope for less pain for you going forward!
 
Good news, happy to know you're covered.
Hopefully you're comfortable enough to get some well deserved sleep.
Let us know how the overnight goes...
@tallguy79
 
Hope pain eased off.
Healing mojo coming your way!
Keep that ice going irregardless of appearance of swelling.
I had minimum swelling or bruising but ice IS a great pain reliever!:ice:
 
I slept better than expected. Of course had plenty of pain but I must of been so exhausted that I selpt anyway. I also have minimal swelling but use ice for hours every day. Anyone else have a numb feeling accompanied by significant pain in upper thigh. If I run my finger tips across my skin it feels like i'm rubbing a needle against the skin. Hurts a lot. Seems like probably a nerve issue which I know is common with the anterior approach. I hope it's temporary because it's even worse than the muscle pain.
 
Yay for sleep! :yay: You probably were exhausted.
Continue with the ice, you're doing well.

You will experience numbness and pain that appears here and there.
Most of the pain experienced is fleeting. Here one day, gone the next. Seems to move around.
Lots of temporary annoyances. Hang in there, you're doing great.

Did you ever watch a live video of THR? I didn't / couldn't but my hubs told me if I did, I wouldn't wonder
why I had pain. Yeah I'm sure! No thanks....just can't do it.
Hope you have a good one!
@tallguy79
 
I slept better than expected. Of course had plenty of pain but I must of been so exhausted that I selpt anyway. I also have minimal swelling but use ice for hours every day. Anyone else have a numb feeling accompanied by significant pain in upper thigh. If I run my finger tips across my skin it feels like i'm rubbing a needle against the skin. Hurts a lot. Seems like probably a nerve issue which I know is common with the anterior approach. I hope it's temporary because it's even worse than the muscle pain.

After some research I determined that the feeling i'm having is very likely paresthesia(pins and needles feeling) caused by damage to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. Quite common in THR with the anterior approach. Can last weeks, month, years, or forever. Would have been nice if someone(anyone) would have at least mentioned this before surgery. :(
 
Way too early to worry about anything lasting weeks, months, years or forever.
Give it time. I recall experiencing so many different sensations.
Pain, burning, prickly sensations etc
When is your first post op with the OS or his PT?
Note questions in your phone and by the time your appt day arrives
you'll probably already have deleted some.
Can you imagine if they mentioned all of the rare possible complications before surgery.
There would probably be a lot more hurting people walking around.
You're doing fine....don't google :no-fin: :heehee:
@tallguy79
 
Back
Top Bottom