THR Tallguy79 recovery<

My in-home PT said that they will likely see if I can walk without any assitive devices on Tuesday. That would be 8 days post-op. Does that seem too early? I did have the anterior approach so maybe that's possible.
 
@tallguy79 approach matters not! Give up that walking aid only when you are ready. If you feel it's time on Tuesday, give it a try. There is no timetable for this recovery and your PT is not being realistic. I was never off walking aids at 8 days out post either THRs. There is no rush!
 
Why the rush? As long as you are not limping. That’s the main issue. You want your gait normal.
I’ve has two hips done, posterior. I was off walker at 3 1/2 weeks. But on cane til 5 weeks.

There’s no timetable. You do what feels right to you. PT’s. Don’t suffer the consequence if they make a bad recommendation. You do.
 
That timeframe was on first. This second one I think will be a longer recovery. I don’t know why, but this hip is going to take longer to heal.
 
I only have enough pain meds to get me thru the week. I was thinking I would not renew the prescription strength ibufrofen and just use OTC. I also don't think I need to renew the Gabapentin prescription. I will need to continue to take some kind of opiod. Right now i'm using Oxycodone but maybe I can go down to Hydrocodone next time. Then I will also take Tylenol and Ibuprofen. How long do people generally need to stay on narcotic pain meds?
 
Why the rush? As long as you are not limping. That’s the main issue. You want your gait normal.
I’ve has two hips done, posterior. I was off walker at 3 1/2 weeks. But on cane til 5 weeks.

There’s no timetable. You do what feels right to you. PT’s. Don’t suffer the consequence if they make a bad recommendation. You do.

I'm not in a rush and 8 days does seem too fast to me. I do want to be off the walker by 3 weeks however since I will need to start going to out-patient PT at that point and don't want to load the walker in and out of the car. It doesn't fold since it's a larger size than normal to accomodate my height(6'6").
 
@tallguy79 If you need to extend prescriptions just talk to your surgeon's office about your pain management. It really varies from person to person. I was sent home with a prescription for only 30 oxy and thought I would need more, but found I really didn't need it after a few days and had about half of it left over. I took extra strength Tylenol with it, but was done with that by my 2 week check up. But like walking aids, there's really no set timetable and just listen to your body. You'll start forgetting doses when you're ready to stop the heavy duty painkillers.
 
I took meds for over 6 weeks...but I was double trouble (bilateral)
You will know...and the more time you give things, the better off you'll be (experience talking here)
You can fold up walker if you need to..you just don't want to be seen looking like an old broke down fella. I get it, I wasn't excited about the potty chair.:umm:
All well worth it.
I'm better than ever!:egypdance:
 
I was told by OS that Advil/aleve hinders healing for the first six weeks after surgery. And to NOT take it for the first six weeks.
FWIW
 
Don't you just love having all of us old women nag at you?!! :rotfl:
Our advice is given with love because we care and want the best for you. You're doing great!
You'll be off the meds and walker before you know it. Just take it slow though.
Don't push yourself. You want to get this right without setbacks.
Hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend!
@tallguy79
 
Also, I had to get OUT of the habit of projecting.
Some things I thought would take a longer time to achieve actually went faster than expected!
Listen to your body and give it this initial healing time and be pleasantly surprised.
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:
 
My day 6 pain is very bad. Day 4 was better, why? The pain is a 6-7 even after taking 10mg Oxycodone. It was 7 before taking it. Same as last night which resulted in very little sleep and lots of groaning. Looks like a repeat for tonight. Is it supposed to be so painful almost a full week in? I know it's early but days 5-6 have been worse than days 3-4 so no sign of improvement. No redness around incision no not worried about infection. Oh yeah, I had PT on day 4. The little bit they did must be the reason for the increase in pain the last two days+. I will try to do very little when they come back on Tuesday.
 
Sounds like you think it's PT. Could very well be.
Do lots of icing. Consider backing PT off until you're feeling better.
In the early weeks if I was sitting or laying down, I was icing. It really helps.
What did PT have you do?
@tallguy79
 
Sounds like you think it's PT. Could very well be.
Do lots of icing. Consider backing PT off until you're feeling better.
In the early weeks if I was sitting or laying down, I was icing. It really helps.
What did PT have you do?
@tallguy79

I am icing pretty much all the time i'm awake so I know it's not from lack of ice. PT spent very little time with me but we did do two difficult exercises. We did heel slides and straight leg raises. The straight leg raises I couldn't even do a day earlier but when they were here I did 4 or 5 reps with a hold at the top and it was not pleasant. The heel slides hurt too but they let me decide how far to go.
 
Ice will be a constant. I used Hydrocodone which have acetaminophen in them. As long as you have pain I'd take the meds. Heel slides and leg lifts were part of my PT, every one has a different experience with PT. As I said it was all on my own but I did 3 sessions a day and 20 reps of each exercise every day.
 
I'm sure that's why you're hurting. Especially because it was painful for you to go through those motions.
This isn't a no pain / no gain type situation. Your leg was injured. Your flesh was cut and power tools were used. It needs TLC to heal, not exercise. Think of it this way....if your leg was injured in a car accident would you be exercising it? Be gentle on it, it's trying to heal, and it will, but forcing your leg to go through painful motions will only set you back. Make any sense?
Consider cancelling the PT for now and rescheduling later on if you choose. You really don't need it.
Please read the BIG TIP at the bottom of the Recovery Article I left you on Tuesday.

Read this again also -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
I hope with some rest your pain soon eases and that you're able to get some quality sleep tonight.
 
I'm sure that's why you're hurting. Especially because it was painful for you to go through those motions.
This isn't a no pain / no gain type situation. Your leg was injured. Your flesh was cut and power tools were used. It needs TLC to heal, not exercise. Think of it this way....if your leg was injured in a car accident would you be exercising it? Be gentle on it, it's trying to heal, and it will, but forcing your leg to go through painful motions will only set you back. Make any sense?
Consider cancelling the PT for now and rescheduling later on if you choose. You really don't need it.
Please read the BIG TIP at the bottom of the Recovery Article I left you on Tuesday.

Read this again also -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
I hope with some rest your pain soon eases and that you're able to get some quality sleep tonight.

Unfortunately I am not authorized to cancel PT. PT works for Worker's Comp and they require me to go through it. They can't force me to do all the exercises until they hurt but they can force me to have the appointment.

Sleep? Not likely. My leg pain alone would likely prevent that but I also have increasing back pain and people in the neighborhood are doing fireworks for the holiday. I know from past experience that earplugs will not stop fireworks from waking me up.
 
Those straight leg raises seem to be a killer for a lot of us post THR. I was ok doing them, but I had a mini-posterior procedure. The at-home exercise instructions I was given indicated to not even try doing the straight leg raises for at least a week if you had an anterior procedure.
 
Then decline any / all exercises that are painful or distressing to you.
If it hurts, STOP. Tell them after the last session you were sore for days.
As far as sleep goes....it will come. Read or watch tv if you're able until you fall asleep
Sleep is fragmented for many early into recovery for different reasons.
Try to take naps during the day if you're able.
This will get better.....I promise!
@tallguy79
 
They scooched all that stuff around in our thighs, my quads were the MOST tender.
Straight leg raises just aggravate them.
They are not ready to perform yet...just tell PT you can't do these add it is causing you ongoing pain.
Recovery was an up and down journey for me..but these are still very early days for you.
Please know this is your story and most all have been where you are
Much sympathy as it certainly not fun..well worth it, though!:ice:
 
Back
Top Bottom