THR Tallguy79 recovery<

Only been two days, Tallguy.
All temporary.
Hang in there...You've been through a big surgery and I assure you
It Does Get Better.
Do nothing but what you have to.
:console2:
 
Glad the PT experience wasn't too bad. From what you described after your joint class it sounded like they were going to be super aggressive from Day 1 with you.
 
Hi again @tallguy79
Happy to hear PT was easy on you.
Wondering if you talked to the visiting nurse about the dizziness episode?
Hope you're feeling well. Consider icing tonight after your PT session, if you're not already.
A peaceful night to you!
 
Day 3 post op. I slept around 6 hours last night:yay:. I feel much better today. Putting a lttle extra weight on my surgery leg when I walk with walker. Still using ice a lot. Hopefully cutting down a bit on pain meds unless I have to do Physical Therapy.
 
Last edited:
Six hours of uninterrupted sleep is wonderful!
Glad to hear you're feeling better and able to put more weight on your op leg.

I loved my ice! I didn't let anything get between me and my ice. Well..a little fabric maybe, but that was about it! It's a little miracle worker for pain and swelling. If I was sitting or laying down, I was icing.

Don't do anything in PT that is remotely painful. Please....pretty please. You won't be sorry.

Hope today is a good one!
@tallguy79
 
:sleeep: Oh my stars.. @tallguy79

You are going to have some jealous hippys around here!:skep:
That's great that you were able to catch some restorative sleep as that is when heal best.
 
Six hours of uninterrupted sleep is wonderful!
Glad to hear you're feeling better and able to put more weight on your op leg.

I loved my ice! I didn't let anything get between me and my ice. Well..a little fabric maybe, but that was about it! It's a little miracle worker for pain and swelling. If I was sitting or laying down, I was icing.

Don't do anything in PT that is remotely painful. Please....pretty please. You won't be sorry.

Hope today is a good one!
@tallguy79

It wasn't 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep. It was approx. 6 hours total out of the 8.5 hours I was in bed. Still a big improvement
 
Yep! Take it!
Sneak in a nap.....or two if you're able :yawn: :sleep:
Better than this all night long > :bored:
@tallguy79
 
A little surprised that 3 days after surgery I have minimal bruising or swelling. Also, I am already reducing my Oxy to 1 pill every 4-6 hours instead of 2 every 4. I may still take 2 right before bed and before tomorrows PT. Pain level is only a 4 right now. It's possible the spinal hasn't worn off yet and pain will increase. If not then this is definitely better than expected. I still can't lift my leg without the help of my hand. I guess I have log leg to some degree.
 
I recall it took several days for my bruising to fully develop. It was at peak color about 2 weeks out and my hip looked like various pieces of bruised fruit for about a month.
 
I recall it took several days for my bruising to fully develop. It was at peak color about 2 weeks out and my hip looked like various pieces of bruised fruit for about a month.

Last night I assumed it would get worse before it got better but this morning the bruising was the same and the swelling was less. I guess time will tell if it has already peaked or not. I had the anterior approach which shold result in less trauma.
 
Yesterday evening and night were rough. Myhead felt really hot so I took my temp and i was 99.2. My average is 97.2. I took my temp several more times and it was between 99.4-99.8 all evening. Then over night I woke up every 10-30 minutes all night. In addition to my hip hurting, my back was also hurting right above the surgery hip. Temp is now down to 98.8. Feel tired. PT just pulled up so have to go for now.
 
Hi @tallguy79
I think that can be considered normal even common in these very early days. You're only 5 days post op
and that is considered a low grade fever. If it persists for days, touch base with your OS or a member of his care team. If I recall you have a visiting nurse for a couple weeks? If so, she should be able to offer you reassurance also. I hope your PT session goes well. Get lots of rest / sleep if you're able. Our bodies do the best healing then. Hope you have a relaxing weekend!
 
Last edited:
Your recovery is closely mimicing mine. I also ran a low grade temp about the same day post op as you. It's normal, my nurse said dont worry about it unless it exceeds 100.6. It does make you very uncomfortable though.

My swelling was worst around days 2-4 and bruising around 5-7. I also get occasional muscle spasms or pain in my butt or in my quad right above my knee. Icing and elevating helps.

I feel ya on not being able to get comfortable to sleep. That's probably been the most challenging part of my recovery. But it gets better!

You're almost through the worst days. By day 6 or so I was starting to feel better. Take it slow and rest a lot.
 
PT was quick and easy. They said the first two weeks it is best not to push too hard. Week three he will push harder then I go to outpatient PT after that and they will push harder. That seems more reasonable than what the PT person said at joint camp before the surgery. She made me think they were going to be more brutal early on. Glad that's not the case. PT said I may be able to walk without an assistive device for short distances by next weeks PT session on Tuesday the 29th. We'll see.
 
Hi again @tallguy79
Keep in mind. They (PT) don't need to push hard.
Recall the BIG TIP in your Recovery Article -

BIG TIP:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and painsand sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Please don't allow them to push you. If you're uncomfortable, or it hurts, STOP.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/saying-no-to-therapy-am-i-allowed-to.36688/

Ok....lecture over :heehee:
You're close to my sons age and he's tall like you so I figured I could mother you, lol!
 
I had very little external bruising and swelling..also had anterior so may be something to it.
Things will come and go these first day and getting comfortable enough to get good sleep was a hard trick for me for first months!
I just napped it up whenever I could.
Hope your weekend is wonderful!:SUNsmile:
 
Today is 5 days post-op so I had to change my bandage. Here is my scar. I have seen worse. [Bonesmart.org] Tallguy79 recovery<
 
That looks great! Mine was much more....colorful.
 
Back
Top Bottom