THR Tallguy79 recovery<

I hope that's just temporary in your case. It seems like there is a wide discrepancy in how much education patients receive before this surgery. I think each surgical approach has both pluses and minuses in terms of what internal structures get disturbed and to what degree. I was certain that I wanted the anterior since I heard all about quick recovery, less invasive, no restrictions, etc. After talking with my surgeon (who does both anterior and posterior) I went with the mini-posterior since he does many more of them (80%) and there was a lower chance of nerve damage. It sounds like in your situation because of WC, you really didn't get much opportunity to ask questions of the OS.
 
I don't see the OS until July 3rd(six weeks and one day after surgery). Seems like a long wait but if I don't see him for 6 weeks then he can't release me back to work on light duty for at least 6 weeks so i'll wait until then to see him. I am in no rush to go back to work. Last time they sent me back to work saying I would recover faster if I was working. I have no doubt going back so soon lengthened my recovery time instead. It's not up to me though. It's up to Worker's Comp and OS.
 
I hope that's just temporary in your case. It seems like there is a wide discrepancy in how much education patients receive before this surgery. I think each surgical approach has both pluses and minuses in terms of what internal structures get disturbed and to what degree. I was certain that I wanted the anterior since I heard all about quick recovery, less invasive, no restrictions, etc. After talking with my surgeon (who does both anterior and posterior) I went with the mini-posterior since he does many more of them (80%) and there was a lower chance of nerve damage. It sounds like in your situation because of WC, you really didn't get much opportunity to ask questions of the OS.

I went to see my surgeon on April 20th to get MRI results to see what the cause of my pain was. I saw him for about 5 minutes. During that time he told me I had avasular necrosis and the only solution for me was total hip replacement. He gave me a booklet and a surgery date and I didn't see him again or have any chance to talk with him until I was in the pre-op room on May 21st. Even then I saw him for about 30 seconds to a minute.
 
Last time they sent me back to work saying I would recover faster if I was working.
Well this is total rubbish! You are right, going back to work too early will only set you recovery back. Hope you can get enough time off!
 
Might be and is rubbish but that's how it goes with jobs and Workmen's Comp. I'd be careful about what they expect you to do and also careful about how they end your claim.
 
Once you agree to closure on a WC claim that's pretty much it, a re occurrence or complications are no longer the employer's problem. They also have a tendency to rush you back to work and the Dr.'s seem to release patients quickly. Every state is different just be sure. I'm not on WC, I'm out on FMLA but my company requires a Human Performance Evaluation Test before you can return to work. It includes lifting and carying heavy weights. I know some WC claim employees had to pass it to return to work. Not recommended for THR patients.
 
Had a laugh at the post about your visit with the OS. I can relate!

I laughed as I told my husband about my "one and only" 15-20 minute visit I had with my OS before he sliced into my leg! I made an appt. with my OS after much research and several recommendations. I was diagnosed a year prior with OA in my hips by another OS, different practice. Over the course of the next year it progressively became worse and I knew surgery was imminent. So, I met and talked with the OS I chose for surgery and went over my x-rays.....15-20 min meeting tops! Complained to hubby afterward saying I didn't expect a to be wined and dined by him but it was certainly a wham, bam, thank you ma'am type meeting. He shared his opinion, recommendation and turned me over to the scheduler. I never saw him again until two months later as he came into pre-op to write his name on my op leg.
Crazy, huh?!
@tallguy79
 
Once you agree to closure on a WC claim that's pretty much it, a re occurrence or complications are no longer the employer's problem. They also have a tendency to rush you back to work and the Dr.'s seem to release patients quickly. Every state is different just be sure. I'm not on WC, I'm out on FMLA but my company requires a Human Performance Evaluation Test before you can return to work. It includes lifting and carying heavy weights. I know some WC claim employees had to pass it to return to work. Not recommended for THR patients.

I will likely have to get a WC attorney to make sure I don't get taken advantage of by WC. I would need them to make sure to get it in writing that WC is responsible for the revision surgery that I will need later in life. Or WC could offer me a large lump sum payment then I would have to pay for all future care on my own.
 
@Layla I had the exact same experience! After surgery he came in and said 'oh we couldn't do a spinal...' and seemed anxious to get out of there. Wait a tic... I need to know WHY you couldn't do a spinal. Never did get a sufficient answer

@tallguy79 my hubby has meralgia paresthetica. He has the same symptoms you described. He says moving around or massaging it helps. It only occasionally flares up. Nerves do heal, it just takes a while.
 
:wave: Totally agree with Layla..one week out, all kinds of weird aches, pains, and aggravations...most likely all temporary.
My thighs stayed super numb until I worried that might also be permanent but that dissipated over time...6 months and more for one leg.
Please don't project...I had so many different stages of discomfort and varying symptoms..all gone now after one year.
I worried some too about nerve damage, but I do know that being rid of my Hip pain and having stable hips had improved my life 100 percent:ok:
 
:wave: Totally agree with Layla..one week out, all kinds of weird aches, pains, and aggravations...most likely all temporary.
My thighs stayed super numb until I worried that might also be permanent but that dissipated over time...6 months and more for one leg.
Please don't project...I had so many different stages of discomfort and varying symptoms..all gone now after one year.
I worried some too about nerve damage, but I do know that being rid of my Hip pain and having stable hips had improved my life 100 percent:ok:

That doesn't make me feel any better. 6 months or more for numbness to go away. I will probably lose my job well before that if the numbness prevents me from being able to stand for 10 hours straight or squat down and lift up 50 pounds boxes a few dozen times.
 
Hi, I hope you had some decent sleep overnight and your pain is tolerable.

In reality, you won't be able to stand for 10 hours straight anytime soon.
Let alone squat and pick up 50 lb boxes a few dozen times a day.

What does "light duty" you mentioned consist of? Would that begin at 6 weeks?

Who determines after 6 weeks of light duty, whether you're ready for the ten hours straight on your feet
and squatting to pick up 50 lb boxes a few dozen times a day?

You'll only be 3 months post op and I think your job responsibilities would still be difficult to meet at that point. You will be exhausted at the end of the day, longing for your bed or favorite chair and ice packs.
Just My Opinion.
@tallguy79
 
Hi, I hope you had some decent sleep overnight and your pain is tolerable.

In reality, you won't be able to stand for 10 hours straight anytime soon.
Let alone squat and pick up 50 lb boxes a few dozen times a day.

What does "light duty" you mentioned consist of? Would that begin at 6 weeks?

Who determines after 6 weeks of light duty, whether you're ready for the ten hours straight on your feet
and squatting to pick up 50 lb boxes a few dozen times a day?

You'll only be 3 months post op and I think your job responsibilities would still be difficult to meet at that point. You will be exhausted at the end of the day, longing for your bed or favorite chair and ice packs.
Just My Opinion.
@tallguy79

Did not sleep well and nerve pain is bad, muscle pain is tolerable since i've been skipping more of the exercises.

Before the surgery my OS said the goal was light duty at 6 weeks and full duty at 12 weeks. My OS would be the one who decides if I can go back to full duty and when. If WC doesn't like his opinion then they can send me to their own Dr. Light duty should consist of mainly office duties but possibly some housekeeping if my employer really hates me. Haha
 
I'm sorry but I can't imagine being on my feet for 10 hrs straight even now....11 months post op,
let alone at 3 months. Granted...I'm old enough to be your mom, but still!!
I don't think you're going to feel comfortable with the squatting and lifting either. At least not that early out. Curious what PT would have to say about both? Extended standing / squatting, lifting.
@tallguy79
 
I would likely be on 40 hour max for a while so with my current job it would be 5- 8 hour shifts a week. I put my name in for a production position and they work 4-10 hour shifts. All standing is on cement most of time while lifting heavy weight. The job I put my name in for would be less lifting but not by a lot. I just thought the 3 day weekend they get in production might help even though it means 10 hour shifts m-th.
 
I know you have youth on your side but youth is a lot of what caused most of the aches and pains I have now. At 12 weeks my OS released me with restrictions which include lifting,squatting and standing excessively. I'm at 15 weeks and there's no way my body would tolerate 10 hrs on concrete. Save your body, you might need it later on. Just remember the job is what got you here to start with. Might be hard to do but the best thing is to forget about work and concentrate more on the best recovery. You and your hip are the most important thing right now.
 
Last edited:
I know you have youth on your side but youth is a lot of what caused most of the aches and pains I have now. At 12 weeks my OS released me with restrictions which include lifting,squatting and standing excessively. I'm at 15 weeks and there's no way my body would tolerate 10 hrs on concrete. Save your body, you might need it later on.

Yeah, I might need it later on when i'm living under a bridge because I lost my job.
 
It's difficult to comment on this because it is you're livelihood. I certainly understand.
You are young and while you may be able to handle it, I think you'll find it difficult.
I understand your reasoning about the 4/10's affording you a 3 day weekend.
You may need that time to recover. Not leaving you much time for anything else that takes energy.

My dad is 80 and had both hips replaced when he was 72-73. He said if he had a do over he'd not do some of the heavy lifting he did in his younger years. While fifty lbs may not seem like a lot, the repetition of the squatting / lifting isn't ideal. Nor is the standing on concrete for 10 hours. It will take a toll. I'm asking this in all seriousness...Is it possible, or have you ever contemplated a career change...asked as she runs and ducks :heehee:

Might be something to consider while off work....if it's even possible. Not sure what your career is.
@tallguy79
 
Back
Top Bottom