Guest viewing is limited

THR Tallguy79 recovery<

Sounds like your Dr. visit went pretty well. Good job getting OS to be specific and add requirements. Take it easy with the outside PT, don't let them lay hands on you or push you to do things that hurt. I hope they don't have any light duty for you so you can stay home.
 
Hi @tallguy79
Hope you have a really good day today.
I know you get anxious about what you may see as show progress...but glad you don't see others' recoveries as a competition and I know I couldn't really project how things would be going in the future.
I was actually blessed to find that a few months out..things did get well and stamina increased and so then, of course, my strength.
Glad you are sharing your experience so others will be inspired not to get discouraged when things seem to drag a bit.
:yes:
 
Last edited:
I think tomorrow is your big day, right?
The return to light duty at work.
Bring those ice packs for sure and let us know how it goes.
I hope today is a good one!
@tallguy79
 
Hi @tallguy79
Did they find work for you?
If so, wondering how your first day back went? Hope not too tiring.
Wishing you a good day!
 
Yes they have office work for me to do for these 6 weeks of light duty. After a little more than an hour my groin started hurting quite a bit. I iced it for about 15 minutes. I can't sit there for longer than that. I have to get up 3 times per hour to scan papers so can't ice for very long. It wasn't tooo bad but I would rather be at home. Next week I start 6 hours per day plus PT. That will be much worse.
 
Last edited:
Ice as often as you're able while there.
I'd advise against doing anything in PT that hurts.
Let us know how you feel after a week back at work. Hopefully your pain eases soon.
Have a good one!
@tallguy79
 
I'd advise against doing anything in PT that hurts.
I agree! Just going back to work will take more out of your energy reserves. Bone-obo had some great tactics for handling PT on thread Popping!
It's actually perfect! They need a focus.
 
@tallguy79 is the PT your company's PT? I know you're on a WC claim and they want to get you off of it as soon as possible. It's going to be tough for you to dog the PT as they are going to want results and probably limit your time. Be very careful. To them the best case scenario is you rush back to work, for you the worst case scenario is they hurt you and give you a parting gift and kick you to the curb.
My deal wasn't WC but I was released due to ligitimate restrictions from my OS. My choice was to get the OS to say no restrictions and chance hurting myself taking their HPE test and then filing a WC claim. I'm old so I had a plan B. Be careful and know when you can say when to them pushing you.
 
My PT is not associated with the company. My therapist said the likely outcome would be that the OS cautions me about doing my hard manual labor job but doesn't restrict me from doing it. That means I have to decide whether to put my health at risk and do the work or find a more sutable job and great finacial risk to me.
 
Sorry you're in a predicament. Sounds like you have to give this all some serious thought.
It would be wonderful if an opportunity presented itself and this was all a blessing in disguise.
You never know...Keeping my fingers crossed for you :fingersx:
Hope you have a good night's sleep.
@tallguy79
 
Had my first outpatient PT today. It was pretty simple. She just asked a lot of questions and did a few range of motion measurments. Then I had to do a walking test where she had me walk for 6 minutes without the cane while she followed behind with a machine that kept track of how far I was going. She also watched for any limping and I gave feedback as to any pain and where. I did better than expected. Made it mostof the 6 minutes before I had anything over a 2 for pain. At the end I was a bit sore but not by PT standards. She gave me a few stretches to do at home and that was it. Next week is when the 'real' PT starts. I also start 6 hour work days next week. That will be difficult but it'll be the week starting July 30th that will really be hard since I start 8 hour shifts and 2-3 PT sessions per week. With communting that will be an 11 hour day when I have both. Not looking forward to that.
 
Well good for you on today's PT!
It's too bad they all won't be that easy. I'm sure they'll allow you some leeway if you are feeling pain while engaging during the sessions. Make sure you ice afterward prevantativly, even if you're not hurting. While it will be long days phasing back into work full time and attending PT sessions, hopefully the gradual increase will be easier than you're anticipating. I hope your weekend is all you want it to be!
@tallguy79
 
So far so good. Get your rest this weekend, sounds like you'll need it. I'm sure most OS release their patients with cautions and never convey to employers the recovery time or recommended restrictions. They know employees will get released as they need their job and will take the risk. I know you need to work, just be careful the damage can be forever.
 
I don’t know if selecting a PT provider is an option in your situation. I’ve one PT in the hospital, next one was a visiting PT at home, then, for outpatient care, have already tried 3 different PT providers within walking distance and worked with 6 different DPTs at these locations. Surprise-surprise…all of them have quite different ideas on my path to recovery, different attitudes, different sets of exercises, some emphasize electrocuting me on the slow electro grill, some do very nice massages. During prescribed exercises, if I say it hurts, they say “stop doing it”, let’s do sth else. I have couple more PT offices within walking distance, so I am inclined to try them too, why not, walking is quite a good warmup before PT. I have annual limit on PT visits, I can stretch them till the end of the year. I try not to drive at all for a while. Luckily, I can work from home, at least part-time, 11 hour day with commute would kill me at my current state of recovery. If selecting the best available PT is an option, I would try selecting the most accommodating. I wish you all the best.
 
Perhaps this could work in your favor, if you ask your therapist (who sounds pretty nice, actually) to help with any movements that are causing you trouble at work. Seems to me this would be a great use of her time, and not dogging it in anyway whatsoever.

I know you're in a tough spot - sorry!
 
Wishing you strength and endurance as both work and PT increase this week.
You'll have to let us know how it goes.
I hope your pain is easing.
A great week to you!
@tallguy79
 
Had my first real out patient PT session today. It wasn't tooo bad. She had me do a few leg raises but she helped me raise the leg since I told her it would be difficult for me. She only had me do 4 reps and said we would hold off on having me do that outside of PT until at least next week. She massaged an area that has been bothering me and stretched the area and other areas. Then just did a couple basic balancing exercises, some marching in place and some calf raises. Nothing too bad I don't think. We'll see if i'm hurting tomorrow but I doubt it.
 
Good news! I'm happy to hear PT wasn't bad. Have a visit with your old friend tonight > :ice:
Wishing you a peaceful, relaxing evening!
@tallguy79
 
So happy they were gentle with you.
Onward and upward:egypdance:
 
PT sounds relatively gentle compared to what some have described!
Although I was somewhat surprised I'm now rather glad we don't have PT as a requirement after hip surgery here!
Hope work isn't too bad and you have the pain under control.
 
Back
Top Bottom