Guest viewing is limited

THR Tallguy79 recovery<

Hopefully you will be able to avoid the physical work until evertying feels great and the weather cools off.

I read in your previous posts that you had some concerns about having manual labor jobs and not many other options, and you mentioned your ACT scores not being great. Do you have a community college in your area? I work for a community college and they are great places to start, especially when you didn’t prepare academically in high school for college. I’m an administrator (academic avisor, career, etc) and I usually teach a business class every semester. I can’t count the number of students - young and older - who were able to go college because community colleges offer the classes and resources they need to succeed and give them the skills and degree to move ahead in the workplace. And CC’s are much more affordable than four-year schools and they are convenient to go part time. Just a thought. Whether college is a good option for you or not - there are always more options that you realize and more ways to improve your skills and obtain knowlege. If you like to listen to podcasts check out Dan Miller’s 48days.com website and podcast on itunes. A lot of good, weekly, career advice. Well, I had to offer this advice since that’s what I do:)
 
Last edited:
The last couple days I have been getting an increase in pain despite not being active. I'm having some groin pain but the worst pain is in the far upper thigh. It hurts enough that it kept me awake most of the night. I even took an opioid for the first time in a week and it still didn't take the pain down enough to sleep. Why would I be getting such an increase in pain in my 5th week post-op when I didn't do any extra activity? I think it's probably the hip flexor but why now over 4 weeks post-op and after a few straight lazy days? I hope it's not anything more serious.
 
Hi there,
Try not to worry. Most likely it's just part of the process. However, if it's going to bother you, call the office of your OS and speak to someone. Hopefully through questions and answers they'll be able to offer you some reassurance. Otherwise you'll probably be googling or taking on some diagnosis through another's experience here that doesn't pertain to you. Did you ever see that purple piece of paper Mojo333 posts on occasion in regard to the ups and downs of Recovery?
@tallguy79
 
Last edited:
Agree with advice to call the doctor’s office. Otherwise you just may worry excessively and make assumptions. I know because I’m the king of worry and googling diagnoses :) and that has never been helpful or accurate!
 
@tallguy79 What is your activity level? Have you started any new activities? Lifted anything heavy or pushed anything like furniture. Every time you do something new to that hip it may complain. Ice and elevate and try again another day. What seems impossible one day is easy the next.
 
@Jaycey My activity level is pretty low. I am still using the cane around half of the time around the house and all the time outside the house. On nice days I will walk to the end of the block and back(maybe 1/3 mile). Otherwise I just walk around the house a dozen or so times a day for a few minutes each. Almost never do any exercises. I do go to the grocery store a few miles away a few times a week. Takes maybe 20 minutes so I don't get much at a time. I can't think of anything I did that could have caused extra pain. I did one load of laundry on Sunday but that wasn't difficult. It may be because I am walking without the cane a little more often in the house?
 
Hey @Mojo333
Please post your little purple diagram to show tallguy the reality of this recovery biz.
While unscientific, it's realistic!
Thanks :wink:
 
Hey Tallguy.
This is the chart as it was lovingly given to me!
Lots of ebb and flow with this...but if you notice
[Bonesmart.org] Tallguy79 recovery<

It does go up.

Certainly if you have a particular concern, or just would feel better with reassurance...call your OS.
 
Of course the best safe advice is to call your OS. I can't say any of this falls under "normal", but it doesn't sound out of the range many of us have had. If it foes away with icing then it's not a real bad thing and should heal, that's my way of not panicking. I still get pains, zips,zaps,twangs,pings and aches.
Have you spoke to anyone or did the research to know what your next steps are and your rights as far as WC is concerned. Be careful and don't get forced into hurting yourself. Companies know people's situations and use that to get people to return to work too quickly, especially on a WC claim. Also if for some reason you can't return to your previous physicl labor job that will usually get you assistance in education at a community college.
 
Taking your pain temp...
How's it today?
A) same
B) better
C) worse
Hope you're feeling better and hope your day is great!
@tallguy79
 
@Layla Definitely not better, maybe a little worse. I'm still waking up, maybe things will losen up. I will be putting ice on soon as well.
 
I'm sorry!
Hmm, would you consider calling your OS?
Or...maybe give it the weekend?
Hope it starts easing for you...
@tallguy79
 
@Layla There is no "calling my OS". I won't be able to talk to him until my follow up on July 5th. I could call the clinic and leave a message then have him PA talk to me hours later or the next day. The pain isn't extreme it's just worse than a few days ago. Not like first 2 weeks level pain. I don't think there is anythng structurally wrong, just another new pain.
 
Well good, I'm glad you feel that way.
Just don't like to think of you worrying if a call would offer reassurance.
I'll trust that if it warrants a call..you'll know.
Ice and rest....that's what I'd do. :ice: :yawn:
@tallguy79
 
It may be because I am walking without the cane a little more often in the house?
I sounds like a minor thing but walking unaided can aggravate a new hip. Are you leaving the cane behind (forgetting it) or purposely not using it. At 4 weeks out it may just be a bit too early to ditch the cane. Try going back to using it regularly and when you start forgetting it then just ease off. I was off the cane at 6 weeks but carried it to my followup appointment just in case.
 
@Jaycey I few days ago I started forgetting the cane occasionally. I assumed that meant I was ok to not use it around half the time around the house and then gradually use it less and less from there. I still use it at least 1/4 of the time in the house and 100% of the time outside. I just went on a 1/3 mile walk outside and I used the cane the whole time but tried to use less pressure so I was taking less weight off the surgery leg. I am not doing any other exercises so I want to make the walking a little more difficult. I don't think i'm pushing too hard. I'm taking it pretty easy. I too expect to be off the cane at least for all reasonable distances and terrain when I have my follow up on July 5th at 6.5 weeks but will probably bring the cane anyway.
 
but tried to use less pressure so I was taking less weight off the surgery leg
Your op leg is not used to full weight bearing and may be complaining. Ease into this slowly. Depending on how long you limped around pre-op it may take a bit of time.
 
What hand do you hold the cane in? It should be on the non op side.
 
I had increased pain by moving off cane too quickly. I didn’t ditch it until no pain or limp while walking. Like others have said, I started forgetting it more and more.
 
Back
Top Bottom