Guest viewing is limited

THR Tallguy79 recovery<

Good Morning! @tallguy79
Wondering how you've been since Sunday?
Is the pain getting any better? Give us an update if you're up to it.
Hope today is a good one!
 
No change over the last few days. Still having quite a bit of pain. Today I plan to go to the local loan closet to get a loaner cane. It will be a regular one point cane so I can transition from my current 4 point cane. I won't be driving and it's not a whole lot of walking but this will be all my outside activity for the day. Tomorrow is supposed to be perfect weather here so I want to rest today so I can do a 15-20 minute walk tomorrow. Then, other than going to a movie with my parents on Thursday, I will not be very active this week. Still haven't gotten a call from OS office to get outpatient PT going and i'm not going to push for it. I'll take the time to rest if I can get it. I'm sure worker's comp will be pushing for PT soon though so I can start regaining muscle as soon as possible so I can return to work. They don't care about the pain.
 
Hi again,
How about gently trying the stretches, or have you been doing them already?
I couldn't use that 4 point cane. That thing was so awkward to me. Regular old cane worked
best for me. I felt more secure with that. Hopefully PT scheduler lost your info :heehee:
Let us know how you like the cane...
@tallguy79
 
I don't really know what stretches are safe prior to 6 weeks. I was only given info on exercises, not stretches.
 
Scratch that idea! I went back and looked at the Piriformis stretches Jo left you and it's says you have to
be 8 weeks post op. I'm referencing the article she left you on Piriformis Syndrome.
@tallguy79
 
I'm not too concerned about the pirifomis pain if that's even what it is. That is just one small part of my pain. That pain is in the butt area. I also have pain in the mid inner thigh and the far lower outer thigh. Probably worst of all is the pain from nerve damage. Any time anything comes in contact with my skin in my mid thigh I have a lot of pain. That is basically all the time i'm wearing clothing. I guess I have to be a nudist now. Haha
 
Nudist colony.....here comes Tallguy! :heehee:

Not trying to ignore any symptoms you have but there is soooo much healing that happens.
And you are very early into recovery considering the length of time you'll have that implant.
Can't recall when your OS visit is....6 weeks?
I hope he'll be able to offer advice and reassurance then.
Don't forget to give us a cane report later. Curious what you think....
@tallguy79
 
Yes, OS visit is at 6 weeks so 3 weeks to go.

The cane seems to be working fine. They even said I could keep it because they have so many canes they don't want to deal with the record keeping for them. It is noticeably used but in good working order. My short outing to get the cane became a 4 hour outing after my parents offered to take me out to lunch and then visit my Grandmother.
 
Hi @tallguy79
All sounds good! A new cane that is working for you and a lunch away from home.
It's nice to be amongst the living, even though it can be a bit of an energy drain in these early days.
Hope you have a relaxing evening!
 
How's it been going the last couple days?
Are you itching to go back to work yet? :heehee:
Hope you're having a good day!
@tallguy79
 
@Layla Definitely never itching to get back to work. I would never work another day if I could afford it.

Pain levels still staying even like they have the last week or so. I went for a half mile walk yesterday and went to a movie with my parents today. That was plenty of activity. Now i'm going to stay inside the next 3 days during the local heat wave and rest.
 
Does anyone else feel like they are eating a lot more than before the surgery? It seems like I want to eat non-stop and I pretty much do and I don't gain any weight. Is this because our bodies need the energy to heal?
 
I experienced the same. My reasoning matched yours but I don't know it to be scientific.
It makes sense though. Then there's the other half who lose their appetite, so go figure.
Include lots of protein in your diet as it's beneficial in the healing process.
Be happy you're not gaining weight.....that's unless you want to, lol.
Have a good one!
@tallguy79
 
Yes. This past Thursday was the three week mark for me and thats about when my appetite really increased. Yesterday was quite a day - lets just say I have a food hangover this morning and not from the healthiest of foods!
 
This was completely unplanned but it happened. This morning, shortly after waking, I decided to go out and get the mail before the heat gets too bad. I get half way down the driveway and think, "my leg sure does hurt this morning". Then I realize I forgot my cane in the house. By then I was at the street so I continued across the street to get the mail and went back in the house. I was limping and it hurt but I went about 100 feet with no assistive device. Probably shouldn't do that on purpose for a while but good to know I can if needed.
 
That is the first step toward losing an assistive device - FORGETTING IT.
If you're not already, practice heel toe walking each time you walk.
It will assist in losing the limp. It takes concentration and practice as most of
us established a poor gait as our hips were on the decline.
With each step...heel hits the ground first, followed by toes. Try it, eventually you'll lose the limp.
Yahoo! One more milestone. Hope today is great!
@tallguy79
 
I can walk without the cane and am allowed to as much as I feel comfortable doing so. If I go out to the store or in public, or go for a walk outside I use the cane - I still have some soreness and weakness but not too bad. If I walk a lot it can get a little sore. In the house I use it a lot less. I estimate by the end of this coming week I probably won’t need it at all. I go for quite a few walks during the day no more than five or 10 minutes at a time. The surgeon said walking is the best thing I can do. He told me to do what feels comfortable but to not overdo it at this time. Said that after the six week mark I should be able to do as much is I feel like doing since at that point the bone should have completely grown into the implant. I’m going back to work on July 9 - that is the day I asked him to give me a release for. I probably could go back earlier but I am in no hurry to rush things. I have time off available to me and I have an office job not a physical job. This past Tuesday I went for my first follow up and the doctor was pleased with how well I’m doing. My next appointment is the second week of July. I feel very fortunate for how well I’m progressing.
 
I am expecting to go back to work on July 9th as well but probably not fulltime and definitely not my normal manual labor job. I will not ask to be released but expect that I will have no choice but to go back at that time. I only have 3 more paid days off to use for the rest of the year so that's not much help. I will save those for when they force me to go back to full manual labor. I wouldn't go back to work at all until i'm able to do my regular job if they would allow that but Worker's Comp won't let me stay home that long if there is any job I can do temporarily before then and there is. They will just have me do entry level office work. I'm fine with that, it keeps me out of the hot warehouse for the month of July and at least part of August.
 
Back
Top Bottom