THR Tallguy79 recovery<

The last couple days I have been having a new pain. It is on the back side. I assume it is the far back end of the hip. My guess is it's the hip joint finally starting to hurt because of the increased walking. Can anyone confirm or give a different reason for this pain? It's bad enough to make me not want to do my 15 minute walk today and just do my dozen or so 1-2 minutes walks around the house.
 
Hi @tallguy79
We can ask our Nurse Director @Josephine to weigh in but she may have questions for you...
At not even three weeks out, I'll bet it's from over activity. Rest and ice may be all you need at this point.
I'm more concerned about the mandatory PT coming up and how you're going to be "the boss" of that....

I also wish Jo would comment on what will be expected of you upon your return to work at 6 weeks.
The 4/10's, standing on concrete all day, the squatting and lifting you've described as necessary. I
fully understand it's you're livelihood and only option, currently, but I can't say I'm not worried for you.

Just looked back and you mentioned going back to work at 6 weeks post op and you will be on light duty for 6 weeks. Full duty at 12 weeks. Still wondering about Jo's opinion of your job description at 12 weeks post op. How will your hip handle it?
 
Last edited:
I never got a call about PT like I was told I would after my OS reviews my at-home discharge notes. Maybe he decided not to have me do outpatient PT yet. More likely I'll just be getting the call a day or two later than expected. Either way I'll take the short reprieve.

I don't see the OS until 6 weeks and one day after surgery on Jul 3rd. The next day is a holiday so the earliest I would be returning to work would be Thursday July 5th 6.5 weeks post surgery. A little better than 6.0 weeks but probably not as long as preferred.

I did not get the position I put my name in for in production that would have had my working 4/10's with a 3 day weekend. That means I would have to go back to my current job in the warehouse 5/8's. I get 2 10-minutes breaks in 8 hours, not much. The rest of the time I am lifting boxes at a rate over 1000 lbs per hour. Many boxes are nearly 50 pounds. Lots of repetitive heavy lifting, exactly what I should be avoiding. All I can do is go slow and blame it on the surgery and hope they don't fire me. I don't think they will. There are some people who slack off but don't break any rules that are firable offenses according to the union contract so I should be safe. The difficult part will be forcing myself to go slow. I'm not good at slacking off but i'll have to take lessons. Management won't like it but my health comes first.
 
Hi there tallguy! Is your pain here?

[Bonesmart.org] Tallguy79 recovery<


Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt!
 
@Josephine I can't say for sure but I don't think that's it. I don't have pain going all the way down my leg and my pain isn't as severe as it sounds like this would be. More of a dull ache than a sharp pain. Bad enough to cause me to limit activity but not enough to cause agony.
 
I think a big Moses hiking stick would be perfect. My dad used a staff kind of stick with his bad knees.
You'd look so ominous..no one would give you any trouble in your weakened state.
:heehee:
Hope you get some peace this weekend.
 
Last edited:
I don't have pain going all the way down my leg and my pain isn't as severe as it sounds like this would be.
Oh tallguy - that's the extreme of it! It can range from feeling like you're sitting on a tennis ball to that 'all the way down the leg' sciatica. Mostly it's lesser than more! And it can certainly range from a dull ache to feeling like sitting on a blade! I've had piriformis twice and know this to be so!
 
I bought a brand new cane at the local thrift store for $5 and it's adjustable. I'm 5'11" and had to shorten it considerably. The local thrift store had a lot of brand new surgical supply items that were donated. I'm sure your height comes into play with a lot of things including getting in and out of a car.
 
I have pain in the backside too. I have had piriformis syndrome in the past but this feels more like a... wrinkling muscle pain.

I talked to my PT about piriformis stretches and she said most require your 90° precautions to be lifted. The one she said I could do was lying on my back bending my knees with feet together and letting my knees drop to the outside like a clamshell opening. Still moderately painful.
 
@Eman85 I worry about needing a revision and not being able to find a surgeon that will do anterior. Posterior restrictions would be so difficult for me. I wouldn't be able to drive for the full 6 weeks. Even with a 4" riser when I sit on the toilet my knees are above my hips. I would have to buy a new higher toilet then put the riser on. Almost no furniture would allow me to sit without breaking restricitions. It's a huge deal. Anterior is the only way to go for me without significant dislocation risk.
 
The riser was a joke, a couple of days of attempting to use it and it was gone. I was going to go in the shop and make a frame for a toilet seat that would be above the toilet when I looked on Facebook Marketplace and someone in my town had a brand new bedside toilet for $20. It's a metal frame with a seat that is very adjustable. You remove the bucket and it sits right over the toilet. It would go a lot taller than I needed and made keeping my leg straight easier.
 
Hi @tallguy79
Wondering if you're mentioning revision because you have that odd pain? If that's the case....
Please don't worry about needing a revision. I'll bet the pain you're experiencing will dissipate with some concentrated icing and rest. This surgery can be anxiety inducing, I do understand. For most, the time leading up to surgery can cause an uneasiness and apprehension. When surgery is finally over you feel like you can take a breath. But then....if you tend toward overthinking or worry (ME) you can begin to ruminate over the possible complications of THR. Don't entertain it. You are going to experience a lot of different sensations over the next weeks, pain, heat, prickly sensations, pulling sensations etc. Most of it is fleeting, here one day gone the next. Sometimes within hours or minutes. Try to ignore most of it. Dislocation is supposedly extremely painful. You'd know immediately. I'm sure you were informed of the symptoms of Infection and Blood Clot upon discharge from the hospital. You're young, I'm assuming in good health and your body is trying with all its might to heal from a major assault and IT IS healing! So put anterior vs posterior, revision, dislocation, restrictions and all of that out of your mind. Watch a good comedy or something lighthearted on tv while you sit on your ice pack :ice: thankful that surgery is behind you and healing is happening. If you're talking about revision later in life, think of the advances they will make by then! One can only imagine.....
Hope your evening is peaceful!
 
Happy Sunday! @tallguy79
How are you doing today?
Is the pain resoving at all?
How did you sleep? You've been doing so well with that....
Any plans for the day....outings?
Ok...quiz over. Hope you have a good one!
 
Still have the higher level of pain today that I had yesterday. Other than doing laundry by myself for the first time, I am planning another low activity day. Hopefully that will help ease the pain. I slept ok but woke up several times in pain. I didn't take any narcotics but I will if it happens again tonight. Getting off the narcotic is important but getting sleep is even more important.
 
I do believe you have to give it a few more days. Keep icing and resting.
I'll bet it is a result of those two days of activity.
Sleep is important and I understand wanting to get off the heavy stuff but I hope you're taking
something for the pain.
Hope your day is peaceful!
@tallguy79
 
@Layla I'm still taking Celebrex, Gabapentin, and tylenol. None of that seems to do much but it's something. Then I still have the Oxy if it gets unbareable.
 
Well, it's good that you have something.
Do this > :ice: And maybe some of this > :yawn: :sleep:
Hopefully it begins easing up.
@tallguy79
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom