Guest viewing is limited

THR Tallguy79 recovery<

Ugh! That's too bad, IF that's the case.
Wondering if your OS could squeeze you in for a visit before the six week scheduled appt. with the hopes of a firm diagnosis and possible relief....
It's a long time to wait as uncomfortable as you are...
@tallguy79
 
How goes the battle?
Hopefully you got some decent sleep last night. Are you able to nap during the day?
I couldn't, but I seemed to get two solid chunks of sleep in 3-4 hr each. So I probably wasn't tired during the day. Hopefully you get in some naps. Happy Two Week Anniversary! You need some cake to celebrate.
Wishing you a good week!
@tallguy79
 
I was not at all my intention but apparently I must have rolled onto my stomach at some point during the night and I slept longer than any time in the last week. I woke up in a position that was about 80% stomach, 20% right side. More comfortable than sleeping on my back or my incision. I may have to intentionally sleep like that tonight and see what happens. Although I slept better than any other night in the last week I would guess I only got about 5-6 hours of sleep in the 8.5 hours I was in bed. Maybe it was because I took 10 mg Oxycodone, 1300 mg tylenol, and 5 mg Melatonin before bed. Then again it wasn't the first time I took that and I still slept better. For some reason I can't stay asleep long during the day. I will doze off for 1-5 minutes several times but that's it.
 
Me neither! As far as the day sleeping. Never been a napper.
Do you have extra pillows? I mean aside from the one / ones you lay your head on?
If you don't, get some. They can be cheap ones too because you can use them to prop a leg, lean against, use between your legs etc.
Many of us have laughed and jokingly refered to our beds as pillow forts. One that I can not live without is a $10 body pillow from Target. I highly suggest one if you think it would work for you. It's one of those really long pillows.....if you're unfamiliar. Hope this helps.

One last thing.... are you getting outside at all. Even just to soak in some rays and fresh air for a bit? My recovery was during a heat wave and I didn't even get outside to sit until day 13 post op. It did me wonders just to feel the air, the breeze, hear the birds chirp etc.
You can get something called post op blues and I did. Getting outside can change your outlook, even if it's just sitting in a chair for awhile. It's a must, if you haven't yet.
@tallguy79
 
I like my in-home PT. Other than the first day or two they have been very easy on me. Basically letting me decide what we do. Focusing on functional activity rather than painful exercises. Today we went on a 10 minute walk down my street using a cane. By far the longest walk I have done to date. I was a bit sore the last 2-3 mnutes but I thought it went well. That was the longest I have been outside in any day so far and it felt good. If this doesn't cause me too much pain I hope to do it again a couple times this week before we get the really hot temps back.
 
It makes a world of distance to get out. You feel like you're part of the living again.
Your home kind of becomes "your sick bed" for a time. All the junk laying around that reminds you of recovery. It's good to walk away from it and even better as you begin discarding the assistive devices, pill schedules, all of it! I recall just wanting my home and life back to normal again.

Your PT sounds wonderful....allowing you to make the calls.
You won't get released to drive until your six week appointment. Then only if you're off the heavy narcotics (Oxy). A goal to work toward. Might sound impossible now but I think you'll really begin to notice progress over the next week or two...
Have a good one! @tallguy79
 
I'm ok to drive any time I decide to. I had anterior on the leg closest to the car door. If it was posterior I wouldn't be able to drive for 6 weeks, if it was my right leg I wouldn't be able to drive for at least two months because I wouldn't be able to get my very long leg past the steering wheel. In my case I can drive any time I am at least 6 hours past my last dose of Oxy and if I can tolerate the pain. At least PT shouldn't push me too hard because the pain will be obvious if i'm off the Oxy. Then I can take some Oxy after PT if needed.
 
I'm ok to drive any time I decide to. I had anterior on the leg closest to the car door. If it was posterior I wouldn't be able to drive for 6 weeks, if it was my right leg I wouldn't be able to drive for at least two months because I wouldn't be able to get my very long leg past the steering wheel. In my case I can drive any time I am at least 6 hours past my last dose of Oxy and if I can tolerate the pain. At least PT shouldn't push me too hard because the pain will be obvious if i'm off the Oxy. Then I can take some Oxy after PT if needed.
 
I had posterior and drove in three. I got released to drive at my three week follow up visit. Would have been two weeks but the 4th of July fell in between my op and follow up visit pushing me back. OS and team were off a week for the 4th. My release was dependent upon narcotics.

I used an ice pack on my incision because the seat belt bothered me. It was great for the drive but worthless on the drive home. I could only tolerate about 30 - 45 mins, tops, in the car for the first few months. Forty five minutes was pushing it too.....I'd want OUT!!
@tallguy79
 
Driving is another thing that really varies - I was left side posterior and was released to drive at 2 weeks since I was off of pain meds. I can see where your long legs would be a factor getting back to driving! I hope the nerve pain improves, as it sounds like it's holding you back a bit.
 
My out-patient PT should be no more than 15 minutes one way and work is 20 minutes. I have no where to go that is farther away than that so I think it'll be ok.
 
Has anyone had 'log leg' last into the third week post-op? I am 14 days post-op and I still can't do a single straight leg raise. When I start out-patient PT one week from today they will be pushing me to do leg raises. They will probably expect me to do 3 sets of 10. I can't do one set of one. I give it everything I have and the only result is a lot of pain mid-thigh.
 
Hi, I didn't experience log leg to that length but I am not saying it doesn't fall into the realm of normal.
Hopefully some others will stop by and share their experience.

Try the white search bar at the top of the page right under where your Alerts show up.
Type in Log leg and read through some of the posts that come up.

Ask PT If you can work with them to create sessions that you are comfortable with. Doing thirty leg raises isn't going to help your thigh pain. You can't even comfortably do one. Can you push the PT off a couple weeks?
@tallguy79
 
PT schedule is between OS and Worker's Comp. I have no say in it. That is unless OS askes for my opinion/input but that is not likely. I have to go when they say but that doesn't mean I have to push myself until i'm crying or unable to walk back to my car after PT.
 
I slept better last night. Maybe got close to 6 hours during the 8.5 hours in bed. Took the bandage and clear film off today. Taking the film off included taking a little scabbing with it but no bleeders. Everything looks good so I took my first shower after over 2 weeks. Definitely feel better after that.

[Bonesmart.org] Tallguy79 recovery<
 
Nice scar selfie! I'm jealous of you folks that didn't seem to bruise. I looked like a horse kicked me in the thigh but I can't complain about the rest of my recovery.
 
Looks like all healing beautifully...
Things will keep getting better @tallguy79
Have a restful evening:)
 
I got more sleep last night than any other. I was in bed for 10 hours and slept close to 8. Now if I can only do that without the Oxy and 1300mg tylenol. I was still very sore when I got up but it was nice to finally get a reasonable amount of sleep.
 
Back
Top Bottom