Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Suzzee 2000's race to a new life.....

Wow @suzzee2000, Why would your OS give you such a small amount of pain meds knowing in certain states you cannot get a refill. I can clearly understand you still being in pain. I was taking pain meds up until I went back to work 3 months post TKR. I also have RA so I hurt in that aspect as well. I still have knee pain now. Especially when rain is coming or weather fluctuations occur and I am past 6 months. I have a pain management doctor on board because of the RA, but still have to go every month to make certain that I do not run out because with RA and periodic knee pain, pain is pretty much a constant with me. Took off from work today for MD appt. for general malaise and extreme tiredness and I have not been working in the front or back yard . I give you credit suzzee20000, but I don't really want to join the ODIC. Today I am in a lot of pain, but hope you are doing well and feeling well. Take good care of yourself.
@chandler really with a BTKR Tylenol at this early stage? I think I would have had to leap across the table and choke the doctor honestly. And to have to drive so far. no way!! :sad: These OS doctors have to get with the program. I understand everyone is watching everyone and doctors are now literally afraid to write a script for pain medication. When the new law with no refills came out over a year ago, my Rheumatologist would not write any more scripts for pain. I had already made an appt. with pain management. At the time I had about 5 refills in the pharmacy for Tramadol which the Rheumatologist had previously written.
 
Chandler....we are so much alike and I feel better knowing I am progressing ok.....it's so hard sometimes and I couldn't remember everything so the quotes below are helping me remember what I wanted to say to everyone!!

I am trying...really trying! to recover well and get on with life. But it has been anything but perfect...I too am still finding I'm in pain more than I think I should be.
I don't think I should be in pain like this either and to be honest if my OS takes me off my pain meds I don't know what I am going to do...I would like to do what @chestnc said about leaping across the table and choking someone!:snork: I also can not believe how people with surgical pain are almost treated like the common drug addicted addict!

hey renew my prescription for Vicodin for 4 days at a time. I have to drive 25 miles round trip to get my prescription!
That is worse than me! So messed up!! I don't know about the tramadol taking away all the pain but it should help. I had some leftover from before my surgery that my GP prescribed but it doesn't do what I need it to. I wish and I try to save some of my pain pills back in case they cut me off, but if don't take them every six hours I am in misery.....:hairpulling:
Right now I am taking Hydrocodone 7.5-325 every six hours.


I have my own pity parties from time to time....I think it is the frustration that the recovery is so long - longer for some of us.
Bigbend that is so so true.....:sad:


Do you mind if I ask you to describe the pain? I only have pain right above my kneecaps when I'm walking and, sometimes, that feeling that my kneecaps are on fire first thing in the morning.
I am VERY STIFF in the mornings or when I sit for any length of time. I have pain all the time like chandler but I have had the really fiery burning sensation on my left side from my knee to my hip....I was worried about it and my PT said have you ever had back problems? And I have in the past and am beginning to feel that lower back throb coming..:bawl:.....the burning sensation has gone away for the most part and I am back to just being in the constant uncomfortable pain stage.....some worse than others!

my pain is mainly on the sides of my knees (both). It is a constant ache, sometimes more mild, and sometimes stronger. But I honestly can't say that I'm ever pain free.
You and I are so much alike in this aspect too!


I often limp even when I try not to.
I do too!! I have to concentrate and think heel toe, heel toe, heel toe.....to help me remember NOT to limp... I limped for so long it was natural to me...You know Chandler, we are learning to walk again and I am trying sooooo hard to do it right:unsure:


I give you credit suzzee20000, but I don't really want to join the ODIC.
:heehee: I don't really want to be in that club but it is a personality flaw I have!! :heehee:

hese OS doctors have to get with the program. I understand everyone is watching everyone and doctors are now literally afraid to write a script for pain medication. When the new law with no refills came out over a year ago
I had no idea that a law was passed like that....and frankly it's terrible!!! How in the world are Doctors supposed to take care of us right???? I feel for you friend and I am so glad you had those 5 refills!!!!


:type: Anyway everyone thank you again for your support answers questions and everything in between!!!
You are the best :loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to all! Haven't been on here for a while. Nice to have time to read and try and catch up with everyone. I was Queen of the pity parties for a long time. My BTKR was. Jan 13. I honestly say as I read these posts that I can't remember when I had my last pity party! It does get better. As I read some of y'all's messages, some stuff y'all are doing better than me this far out and other things I feel I am doing better. I guess we all heal differently. Even my 2 knees are healing differently! I find doing anything, sitting, standing, laying...etc.. For a long period of time hurts. I have been back to work full time for a while and have been through with therapy for 2 weeks. Wish I could have more. I had a wonderful out patient therapist. This Monday I found a gym close by that has a bike and other equipment. Going to go at lunch to ride and move my knees. This sitting behind a desk all day will swell mine up. So glad everyone is doing great! Sorry I haven't checked I lately!
 
@rfricano , it is knowing that it will get better that makes me a little more patient. If I thought this is as far as I was going to get, I'd be depressed!

@suzzee2000 , the pain you and @chandler describe is similar. To me that is good news. It means it is part of recovery and not some extra bad thing happening. And it will get better. I had to laugh at your description of walking. I can't take one step without looking at my feet and ordering them to lift heel-toe-heel-toe. It's a wonder I don't run into walls because I always look down!:heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Big Bend, you are doing wonderful! I am about 4 weeks ahead of you and your walking is much better than mine. I walk really well when I get warmed up but if a walk a long distance, like around a block, my right knee still swells up. The left knee just quit swelling about 2 weeks ago. My left kneecap made an appearance at the end of my PT! My left knee is in the 100's on my ROM but my right knee probably goes between 90-95, depending on swelling. But like you, I am more interested now in what I can do vs numbers!
 
@rfricano I am so glad you stopped by and let us know you are working and still going through things that we are and that it's going to be ok.

@BigBend I'm so glad we are all in this together and :heehee: on the heel toe heel toe....just hearing everyone talk about how things are going makes me feel better too!


The left knee just quit swelling about 2 weeks ago.
That's great news I will be so happy for that day myself!!!!

Sorry I haven't checked I lately!
It's ok we understand life is going so I am so glad you checked in today!!
:yes::flwrysmile:


@rfricano , it is knowing that it will get better that makes me a little more patient. If I thought this is as far as I was going to get, I'd be depressed!
:iagree: AMEN:iagree:


I honestly say as I read these posts that I can't remember when I had my last pity party! It does get better.
:thankyou: so glad to know that!!:loveshwr:


Both of my knees ROM is at 115 so that seems to be pretty good. I don't want to go back to PT but I might go next week because I see my OS on the 5th of June and I can tell him and them I am ready to move on without it!!

The one person who I want to acknowledge is @referee54 You have been so good to us by saying over and over again that what we are experiencing is normal. You are always reassuring us it WILL get better so I want you to know even though I am still whining, I appreciate all of your encouragement as well!!!:flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Hi @suzzee2000,
I feel for you friend and I am so glad you had those 5 refills!!!!
Suzzee, actually those 5 refills were not refillable. When I called to get the refill that was how I knew about the new law. I was told I would need a new script from the doctor as no more refills can be given on narcotics in certain states and mine is one of them. I then called the Rheumatologist and he said I need to go to pain management. Fortunately I was not totally out of medication. So now I see pain management and she know s the law and knows I have RA and have had a RTK, so I have no problem obtaining pain meds or seeing her every 4 weeks. Also I have a mail away company and they take about 3 weeks for my pain meds to get to me and now the meds must be signed for. If no one is home when the meds are delivered they go to the post office. Gone are the days of leaving the narcotics in the mail. Since I have chronic pain with the RA, it is a task to make certain that I have enough meds and do not get low and end up with nothing. What my pain management doc does is she will order the meds more often than I am taking it to make the script last longer for me. I can only fill a new script at my local pharmacy two times and have my insurance cover the medication. :shrug: What we have to do to get some pain relief. :scratch:
 
The one person who I want to acknowledge is @referee54 You have been so good to us by saying over and over again that what we are experiencing is normal. You are always reassuring us it WILL get better so I want you to know even though I am still whining,
Aw, shucks, thanks!!!

Both of my knees ROM is at 115 so that seems to be pretty good. I don't want to go back to PT but I might go next week because I see my OS on the 5th of June and I can tell him and them I am ready to move on without it!!
That is awesome!! That is tremendous!:thumb::thumb:
 
When I woke up this morning I felt FANTASTIC..:yes!:...it only lasted a couple of hours but still it felt good to get up and think ok....now I could really live like this:yes:! Even though it didn't last long all in all I had a good day! Today is exactly 10 weeks since my surgery. I know I've come so far..... BUT have still have so far to go!
This week I made our yearly reservations for vacation in Destin Florida in August. :happydance: That will be 5 and 1/2 months out so I am praying I can walk the beach and the boardwalk this year without being in too much pain! I already know this year is going to be much better than years past from a pain aspect though. I believe that we are all going to get there..... even with the ups, downs, and frustrations! We just have to remember the small steps are the key that will eventually lead to our complete healing.
Seriously just not having the arthritic pain has been awesome! I had brunch with a friend the other day and she said WOW you are walking SO MUCH BETTER than you used to! It made me happy knowing someone could see I wasn't in that horrific pain anymore!

@referee54 :) Thanks!!

Suzzee, actually those 5 refills were not refillable.
Ok I misunderstood!! I'm very glad everything is taken care of for you!! :)
 
So glad you had a good day suzzee hopefully it will be more like this morning everyday :)
 
@suzzee2000 sounds like you are doing quite well. You have such a positive and grateful attitude - I am sure that has a lot to do with your success!
 
@suzzee2000 , you will be able to enjoy your vacation! I'm pretty sure 115 ROM is sufficient for most activities - not that you won't get more! As your knees continue to heal and the pain continues to fade, even this stage will feel like a dream.

I vacationed in Destin once. I really enjoyed it. :surfer::swim::walking:This is you in August!
 
uzzee hopefully it will be more like this morning everyday
Thanks @cocodelight I sure do too!! I will take every singel good day I can get!!! :ok:


@71Beetle :hi: thanks much for your kind words and stopping by...... by the way......I LOVE your Beetle photo!!! It is my FAVORITE type car although I've never owned one!!!! :yes:

@BigBend so so true about the ROM!!! I find my Elliptical is so good for me. I feel so much better when I use it! And yes ......this :swim: :realing: along with your picture of me ..... :surfer: It sure is gonna be me in Destin!! :heehee:
 
I am thanking God this morning for another pain free morning. I am beginning to notice the levels of pain are subsiding! I was laying in bed last night thinking about the fact I can sleep any way I feel like and it doesn't hurt. I don't even need the pillow between the knees anymore. This is another step toward my recovery that for me is huge!! On Sunday I was able to have a beautiful day with my family and do all the kitchen clean up!! Of course I did none of the cooking so the clean up was the least I could do...:heehee:....no that did not come without any consequences of course, so yesterday I went to bed and rested with ice:ice: on my knees for a few hours. After that I was able to climb the ladder to get into the pool with the kids for the 1st time. (They have been swimming in it for over a week now) but anyway it felt really good to get in there even if I didn't stay long!! I am going to continue packing for our move back to our farm in which I hope and pray comes within the next couple of months!
To those of you reading this and thinking is it EVER going to get better......:yes!: Yes it is!!!! Hang in here as we all recover together!!!!
 
@suzzee2000 Thank you for the encouraging words. I find the pain subsiding too but sometimes I get a sharp pain even if I am not doing anything. I know that with time, this will fade too.
 
Yes @71Beetle I know what you mean. I have those pains at times too! Yes it will fade....not fast enough tho....:)
 
Today has been another good day for me and even though my days are getting better....
@referee54 question for you......
I am experiencing quite a bit of pain in my lower back as well as pain in my left hip. I AM PRAYING I do NOT have to go back to the chiropractor and that it is just my body readjusting. Have you or any of the rest of you had this problem or know someone who did.....as they recovered?

I am so thankful that my days are improving and want to believe I am beginning to turn a corner
for the better! It's exciting to feel better. I am going to PT tomorrow and will have a nice talk with them about the way I feel when I am finished with my workout.


Thanks @Karringtyn your post sure did make me smile! Thank you for stopping in to check on me too!
you could be normal again.
Not sure if I will ever be "normal":heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom