Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Suzzee 2000's race to a new life.....

Hello @suzzee2000 I am so pleased for you. I hope that you get back to your farm soon. I love hearing when people get better and better and head back to some semblance of normality. Well done you xxxx
 
Hi Suzzee - talk to your PT. they should be able to help with your back. I have chronic back pain due to severe osteoarthritis. I knew my knee was getting better when my back started hurting again. A heating pad does wonders for the back. Take care!
 
@suzzee2000 - happy to hear you are making a comeback. Don't let the back go too long or you'll start stiffening up in other areas. I am a big believer in chiropractic care. I used to be terrified but I met a really good one that has kept me limber for the past 2 years. I rarely see her anymore. Just for a tuneup or if I feel misaligned. Have you tried massage? That can sometimes be helpful as well. Hope you feel better soon.
 
:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:I had horrible hip/back pain when I started PT. My gait was way off from walking wrong for so long. PT has helped me get realigned...it's been hell I won't lie..but the aches have dissipated.
 
Hi @suzzee2000 and all, I have a Pain med question. When you get the right one (say right after surgery) do you stay with that one all the way thru to the 9th week +...? Or do you start with a heavy one and then gradually go to a medium to minor one (Tylenol ).

Thanks,
 
Pain med question. When you get the right one do you stay with that one all the way thru to the 9th week +...? Or do you start with a heavy one and then gradually go to a medium to minor one (Tylenol ).
Stick with what works! As a general rule, 'weaning off' comes naturally as you listen to your body and gradually take less as the pain diminishes. You shouldn't have to plan an ending. I took Tramadol and paracetamol (Tylenol) in this routine to start with

[Bonesmart.org] Suzzee 2000's race to a new life.....


Eventually I found myself forgetting doses or not needed quite so much one day and so just took the paracetamol and not the Tramadol. Another time, I'd take one Tramadol and no paracetamol. This went on, not for 9 weeks but for 16! I actually find it very difficult to believe people when they start cutting back at 9 weeks claiming they no longer need them. For some reason I was in my worst pain in the 6-9 week period and the regimen above what what I was using then, sometimes even 150mg of Tramadol! The Tramadols during the day I found were first to go and night time the last. Hope this helps.
 
Hi @suzzee2000 and all, I have a Pain med question. When you get the right one (say right after surgery) do you stay with that one all the way thru to the 9th week +...? Or do you start with a heavy one and then gradually go to a medium to minor one (Tylenol ).

Thanks,
Hi @Betsy-Knees-7-2014 I think we are all different on the pain meds and I like you and everyone else was concerned with our pain medicines. Me personally .......I was taken off the heavy ones within the first 3 weeks and put on a lower dose. There are so many restrictions on medications and every individual OS does it different. Just have a nice talk with your OS to see how he/she does it and go from there. I hope I've helped some.....
 
Things are plugging along and I find myself not having any computer time since the children have been out of school.....lol.....I don't know why I thought I would!! Anyway things are going fine here. I do have my up and down days but the up days are more frequently and that is good!!! I have been able to climb the ladder to get into the pool so that's another good one. I have begun a routine of walking around the house 5 times a night. It has felt so good to start walking again WITHOUT PAIN!!!! I do use my hiking sticks for stability in the yard just in case and between my Elliptical, walking and the pool I am beginning to see how far I have come!!!!
:loveshwr::loveshwr:THANKS for stopping by everyone! It's so nice to read your responses!!! :loveshwr::loveshwr:



I knew my knee was getting better when my back started hurting again.
Wow @Jozilla never thought of it like that!! BUT HOW TRUE!!!!

Thanks @Nana moon 27 !!! The farm is coming along just fine! :spin:I am so glad!

@Karringtyn The PT seemed to be making things worse for me even though at first it was fine! Glad your PT has helped your back so much!!!!

I am a big believer in chiropractic care. I
@71Beetle .......I do too but was nervous about going back because, for a year he kept saying L-3 is pain in the knees..... When in reality my knees needed replaced!! BUT I know it's my lower back and left hip that are giving me problems again......I have noticed the more I walk to worse it gets!!! I'm getting old and guess I need replacement parts!!! Geeeessshhhh!!!!
So......I made an appointment with my Chiropractor on Monday so......here's:beer: to the successful visit.
 
Thanks @suzzee2000,
You are so right. I met with OS yesterday and showed him the chart of the Tramodol/Tylenol combination and he agreed that they do use that. AND that they will "see what's best for me"... I just think it is good to be pro-active in the planning so they know more about us. He did say that Medicare may not pay for the Ice machine. urgh so I am going to research that.
OS also said that he could tweek my left knee (the less bad one) arthroscopically (sp?) but I said I'm 65 and would rather replace it next year. Do we think they like to add $$$ by doing a small procedure and then a new knee later? Oh well, at least I have firmed up my date July 14th and am happy.

:spin:
 
Congratulations @suzzee2000 - being able to walk without pain is amazing. Good luck with your visit to the chiropractor!
 
I went over to the farm today to check on things and was so upset to see one of the horses on the other side of the fence!!! I have clipped barbed wire fencing off of these horses hooves more than my fair share over the years, but today I FREAKED out! I just can't do it anymore. I was nervous about my knees and she (the horse) was jumping and thrashing around trying to get un-stuck and I was afraid she was going to really get hurt. I was able to get her to stop and stay calm until.....after my daughter got there to help me. When was free, we began to look at the fence and realized someone deliberately cut the fencing all the way down one side of the property! :boohoo:They cut all the barbed wire off the top and preceded to cut each wire at the bottom of the fence to make it fall. I felt like crying just to think people do not have any regards for other people and why they would do such a thing to us? We have always had the best neighbors and have been trying to rebuild over the past 3 yrs. so we can get back there. It took so much blood,sweat, and tears to install that fence years ago......it's just hard to understand.
But the good news is the horse is ok. She has some pretty good gashes under her belly and legs but we are on our way back to doctor her up with medicine...... Another good part of this story is that I was able to walk and help without the pain!!!!!! So Yeah! :yay:


You know it @referee54 !!!!:yes!: and THANKS!!!!!


Thanks @71Beetle I just know this will help me!! Even though I am a little nervous going back!


I just think it is good to be pro-active in the planning so they know more about us.
I was exactly the same way Betsy!!! I was involved from the beginning digging for answers and going crazy asking questions!! BUT that's what you should do!! It's your body, your knee and only you will be going through the recovery...well we all have the moral support but ultimately it is up to us to do what we need to in our recovery!

Do we think they like to add $$$ by doing a small procedure and then a new knee later?
OF COURSE!!! :iagree:
 
OMG @suzzee2000 --- wasn't it great that you had the wherewithal to go check on things. AND walking with horses IS hard at times; I know how your heart was pumping. So glad your daughter could come and help, and for you for calling her. A+++ Now we have to say the guys who cut the wire are BUTTS....

:bricks::censored:
 
@Betsy-Knees-7-2014 Yes it was and yes it is very difficult walking them sometimes!!! About my 22 yr old daughter I am so thankful she was able to come....that horse is HER horse too! lol......we've had her since my daughter was 8 yrs old!!!
and TRUE TRUE TRUE on the wire-cutters.....Thanks Betsy!!!!!!
 
Sorry to hear about your horse and the fence @suzzee2000! That is so disrespectful of the people that cut the fence! I cannot understand people that do that. Like you say, the fortunate thing is that you were able to WALK more!

Keep up the good work!
 
What a terrible thing for someone to do. I so glad, though, that both you and your horse are ok. And so happy too that you're getting around without pain.
 
That's great news about your walking sorry to hear about the fence but glad the horse is ok glad that you and your daughter was able to help
 
Thank You I really am glad! You know just walking pain free has been worth everything. :loveshwr:
My 3 month anniversary is coming up June 10th....I know I am turning the corner for the best! It's exciting walking without the pain. I have noticed the tightness the feeling like a band is around my knees are gone for the most part! The swelling is going down and I don't have to ice hardly at all anymore. I can't explain how the little things have so much meaning to me. It feels like a long time has passed but 3 months is a drop in the bucket! We have a new lease on life and it's going to get better and better!!! HANG IN THERE EVERYBODY!!!!:thumb:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom