Bilateral TKR Suzzee 2000's race to a new life.....

@ironman60
Welcome to the ODIC club - the Over Did It Club. It's so easy to join and most of us have been there. Never mind. Rest up for a few days and you should find that you haven't done any permanent damage.
 
Congratulations on making the Deans List. What a tremendous accomplishment and you did it with a bilateral and four kids!! Good for you Suzee. Rest up now before the children are home for the summer!
 
I am wore down & in pain. Went to a horse show Saturday to watch Granddaughter ride.
3 years old & she knows how to work the judges. Yard work today. Don't know when to quit.

Ironman I LOVE the horse shows! I saw lots of darling 3 yrs showing in the open shows. My children began showing in 4-H when they were 7...long out of it now, but those days were so much fun! Not sure if I'm going to get back into it with these 4 children.....I'm trying to talk my 25yr old son and daughter in law to help with a 4-H club so he can do it! :yes!:
I know what you mean about overdoing it so when @Celle said "Welcome to the ODIC club" she nailed it! :rotfl:

Welcome to the ODIC club - the Over Did It Club.
:rofsign: Thanks Celle!!!!

Good for you Suzee. Rest up now before the children are home
for the summer!
@Jozilla thanks for always coming in and encouraging me along with many others!:flwrysmile: THANK YOU!!! I am in my bed now....went to PT this morning and came home for a nice little rest!! :)

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!! :loveshwr:
 
Today is one of those "down" days....I overdid it this morning but it was worth it. I went to the shed and got out all the flower pots I had put away in the fall and brought them out so they can begin growing again. Prayerfully by fall I will have them planted in their permanent spot and be done with them!
Sometimes I do over do things and then pay for it....in this case I knew I was going to but sometimes things need done.
One a positive note....All the lumber is being delivered for the house today for the rooms to be framed. I can't wait to get back out to our place and get settled again. For three years I've felt like I've been homeless....so I am more than ready to have the house finished and moved back in there.
The PT yesterday was hard too.....well not hard but new exercises were implemented and I feel it in my knees yesterday and today BIG TIME!! But, in the long run I know it is going to make me feel better. My left knee gives me fits daily...it's so weird because my right knee was in such bad shape before the surgery....in the hospital after surgery my right knee was killing me...then...I get home and it's the left knee that is the problem! BUT the good news is I am SO MUCH BETTER than I was. I can't believe how good my knees feel when I stand up. As I always say the surgical pain is very hard but in the long run I will be well and won't live with the arthritic pain controlling my life everyday! I am only 8 weeks out from surgery and believe I progressed really well.
As I look around the forum I see the difference in people and how we all recover. Some are speedy with out any problems...some are slowly poking along.....and some are struggling and suffering and for all of you who are..... my heart goes out to you and I pray you recover asap. But, we will recover some sooner some later but we will and in the end it will be worth it! :)
 
Hi suzzee it's so good to read your post I am 5 weeks out and alittle nervous and the fact I have a 4 yr old girl and wanted to ask you what kinds of difficulties you had having younger children in the begining thanks Shannon
 
Hi @cocodelight thanks for stopping by. I was nervous too!! And the children were my number 1 concern! I was lucky my husband took off work for 5 weeks! If he had not been home to take care of them I don't know what I would have done. I kept a back up plan for baby sitters in case but it worked out perfect for me. Once I got home I really didn't have any difficulties concerning the children. My 4 yr old (just turned 5) is in preschool and when she got home she constantly tried to "help" me! :wink: As long as you have the help you need to take care of your daughter you should be fine! Hope this helps.
 
Excellant new Suzy. These implants are amazing. Wish everyone could have uneventful recoveries. I know exactly what you mean about feeling better than pre op days. Heck I feel 10 years younger !! Keep up the great work and congratulations on school !! Iceman
 
@icep707 thank you for taking the time to stop by and check in on me. I always love hearing your motorcycle, California stories!! You have done so fantastic ( your positive attitude surely had something to do with it)!!! :thumb: I for one and really happy for you!!!:yes:
Thanks again.....
Here it is Thursday and I feel like I'm having a repeat of Tuesday by the way I feel!! I just don't understand why I hurt so much after PT.....It does not hurt at all while I am exercising my knees but by the evening and into the the next day it hurts sooooooooo bad.....so, next week I am going to call it quits with PT. The children will be out of school on Friday and I will let PT know it will be my last week! My Elliptical, treadmill and weight machine should help take care of everything and I certainly know how to do the exercises they have shown me so that isn't a problem either. My ROM was @ 115 at last count so, I will have them measure next week for my own knowledge. For the most part I have enjoyed PT and have done all that I have been asked because I wanted to have full range of motion and enjoyment of my new "bionic" knees! I believe I am going to be just fine.
I hope everyone reading this has a good pain free evening or morning depending on which side of the pond you're on! :loveshwr:
 
Hey Suzzee, You are doing great. I have 2 more P.T. visits (doing just 1 a week now) & then I hope to call it quits. They are painful the next day but I kind of like that kind of pain. I know it is doing something good. As I had back surgery a month before the knee my over doing is catching up to my back. A little more chain sawing & I will be done with that. Today I volunteered to teach archery at a youth expo. 700 kids today & 700 more tomorrow. Ouch.
Just make sure you keep up the exercises if you quit. I know I don't do them in between because I am to wore out.
Take care.
 
@ironman60 i know what you mean about not doing the exercising in between visits! I am hoping to do what I should!


Today I volunteered to teach archery at a youth expo. 700 kids today & 700 more tomorrow. Ouch.
:bow:
Talk about over doing it!!! Archery?? :arrow:You better be careful too!!!
 
I had a long and busy day today. I will again tomorrow but after that I am hoping to catch up on some rest. I had a poor me day yesterday:groan: and when I do that,I get really angry :hissy:with myself and life in general!
I feel like such a big cry baby sometimes!!!:beg: My husband says I have to have patience and etc etc....but it's so hard not being completely healed yet and my back has started to ache too!! :cry: I hope I stop worrying about it. But when everything hurts I can't handle it sometimes!
As of today, I am 9 weeks and 2 days out and I want to turn the corner so bad to be without pain. Speaking of pain.....my OS gives me a 10 day supply of pain meds. so.... I have to go every ten days....well of course my 10 days were up over the weekend and the insurance company wouldn't let me have them on Friday.......which meant I had to wait until today to pick my prescription up.....:sad: It seems like everyone makes it hard to recover pain free! HOPEFULLY I won't need anymore 10 day supplies of any type of pain medication,when I see my OS in June.... BUT IF I do....then I will ask him for a 30 day supply instead of 10!! The pharmacist said the Doctors are being watched and with me coming every ten days for a little at a time it sends a red flag and that's why the insurance company wouldn't let me have them early.....It bothers me so much to think the drug addicts are running around getting and selling their (seems to be unlimited supplies) but when someone is in desperate need from a surgery like this can't get them! I am frustrated and upset when I think about it.....Sorry to rant I just needed to put it out there when I am going through a rough spot and I certainly am.... :sad:
On the flip side when I think about it.....I had a much better day today....:ok:I don't need a walker anymore or, need any walking aids at all and I can get into the shower by myself with out my shower chair too. I can walk around the grocery store when I feel like it and have been able to drive everywhere since 3 1/2 weeks out of surgery...I .take care of the 4 kids and everything that goes along with it....mostly by myself and I can stand for long periods of time. I can get out of low chairs sometimes and I can sleep comfortably on my side back stomach or however I want most of the time completely pain free....I have a very supportive husband for the most part and help when I really really need it....so all in all things are better I just want them to go faster.....
I am going to go to bed and get ready for another busy day......:chillpill:
Thanks for reading and listening to me whine......I Hope all of you reading this have a good pain free night!
 
Well at least you have a chill pill & a supportive husband. I'm afraid some of the rest is going to take time.
You had 2 knees repaired. You can whine all you want. You earned it. I keep thinking I will rest when I catch up too but I don't know if catching up is possible. You are doing very well. You will get there.
 
Suzzee you are doing so good it's ok to have bad days you are human I admire you done all of this while in school and taking care of your kiddos I am 4 weeks out and hope I can do as well as you keep your chin up and take it easy on yourself :)
 
@cocodelight thank you for the encouragement! ! The 4 weeks will be here before you know it and I just know you will do just fine. It's scary I know but the surgery seems to have been the easiest part since I was asleep. :) I'm really taking it easy today. I'm resting and it feels good! Please stop by anytime you are always welcome!!!

@ironman60 you are so right we both are going to get there but catching up might be impossible!!!

Well at least you have a chill pill & a supportive husband. I'm afraid some of the rest is going to take time.
You had 2 knees repaired. You can whine all you want.
I know you are right! I just have to keep focused on the positive things going on!!! THANKS for your support too!!!!
 
I cancelled my PT again this morning. I worked out with my Elliptical and feel much better than when I go to PT! It's so strange that it was great when I first started and now a few weeks into it, it became painful! Of course I still hurt and have to take my pain meds by the clock but all in all things are going better! I walked up the stairs normally today to get to my elliptical and it felt wonderful even though going back down I had to take it one step at a time. I know the day will come eventually.
 
Suzzee, it feels that you and I are almost mirrors in this bilateral experience!! I had my surgery on March 12, so we are within 2 days of each other. I am trying...really trying! to recover well and get on with life. But it has been anything but perfect...I too am still finding I'm in pain more than I think I should be. And I feel like I'm fighting with my OS about what I should be taking for pain management. They renew my prescription for Vicodin for 4 days at a time. I have to drive 25 miles round trip to get my prescription! Today, they told me I should start taking 2 Tylenol three times a day. When I told them Tylenol doesn't even touch a headache for me, much less the continuous pain I have since surgery, they gave me 20 (!) Tramadol. And this being a holiday weekend coming up, I'm supposed to figure out how to ration 20 over the next 5 days. It is soooo exasperating. I'm not an addict, and I have no interest in using these meds recreationally. I'm sure the pain levels we must be sharing contribute greatly to the depression. I too find myself having weepy days where it is hard to get my emotions under control. My husband sounds like yours...always encouraging and so helpful. But it just doesn't take away the issue, does it? Glad to know you are able to sleep through the night. I have to spend most of my night in the recliner, as I can only manage about 1 1/2 - 2 hours in bed. My best sleep has been 5 hours straight, and that was quite unusual. Anyway, Just wanted to comment that you aren't alone. I think I'm right there with you. Let's figure this thing out and get on with life!!
 
@suzzee2000 and @chandler , I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. I have my own pity parties from time to time....I think it is the frustration that the recovery is so long - longer for some of us. Do you mind if I ask you to describe the pain? I only have pain right above my kneecaps when I'm walking and, sometimes, that feeling that my kneecaps are on fire first thing in the morning. And I feel like there's still a lot of internal swelling, even if it isn't as visible as right after surgery. Even the percocet doesn't remedy it so I don't take it. Tylenol and other pain relievers don't help either. I don't work as hard as either of you do in PT (maybe that's why my pain isn't as bad?) so I worry about getting functional ROM.

It really is true that our recoveries are all unique to us. But I still find it necessary to compare mine to that of others. Sometimes that is very discouraging! Sometimes it makes me feel lucky.

Here's hoping tomorrow brings you much relief from pain!
 
@BigBend, my pain is mainly on the sides of my knees (both). It is a constant ache, sometimes more mild, and sometimes stronger. But I honestly can't say that I'm ever pain free. I also have something that catches and clicks in my right knee. It is very painful each time it clicks, so it makes me hesitant, especially each time I get up out of a chair. What are you taking for pain? I just don't see how we can be active and achieve healing if we are guarding our actions because everything hurts us worse. I'm doing physical therapy twice a week. Today, she kinda "dug around" to see if she could figure out what the clicking is from. If it's scar tissue, she could possibly break it up. If it's ligaments that haven't yet healed, doubtful she can help that along. I just know that tonight I feel pretty beat up, and 2 Tylenol don't seem to be helping. I'll be taking Tramadol pretty soon, and see if that will let me sleep a little. I'm getting around well without a cane, but I know that I often limp even when I try not to. I agree with the internal swelling too -- and I ice as often as I can. Good luck to you, and wishes for a good sleep tonight!
 
Yeah, I know that side of the knee pain. I had it on both but just the outside. I think the knee holds swelling there. I try to ice the sides and I did my own finger massage there. It helped -rather it moved it above the knee! You ask the million dollar question: how to be active and achieve healing while protecting ourselves from the pain. It is a tough line to walk. I hope the Tramadol gives you good sleep! :flwrysmile::fingersx::praying:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I'm only taking Tylenol for pain - not that I think it helps much. I have a stash of my percocet from when I quit them before my last prescription was up. I've been taking one a day lately before I do my flexion exercises. It doesn't really help the kind of pain I have either (it didn't even when I was taking it around the clock). So I've been OK with not bugging my doctor for pain meds. They don't seem to work for me.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom