Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Susie, you are a braaave woman to do both. And today I got told Im to be in PT one week after surgery. Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

@NDSunshine, it was sheer wanting to get rid of both terrible knees and thinking one surgery was more efficient than two. :snork: As it turns out I'm really happy to have this whole knee replacement thing over with. The new knees are so much better!

Keep the reins of PT (or no PT) in your own hands as much as possible. You are the best guardian of your own body.

Thanks. I DID question, and it had me upset, but Ive BEEN through knee healing before when I first got hurt. It was a loooong process, but it did happen. I question whether it was even the doc requiring this, bc nothing was signed. I saw a friend of mine at the hospital who had both knees, and he said they told him that too a few years ago, and he rehabbed himself. You cant even tell he has replacements. Why do they do this to people?? This thinking is a holdover from the 80s, sheesh.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Congratulations @SusieShoes for getting to the end of a tunnel with so much grace. You are truly an inspiration to me and so many here who receive your sage and calming advice.

That is just so awesome. Your progress has been excellent and you have a wonderful attitude that helps us all!

@SherrieT, yes! It was a year yesterday. However, I’ve decided to write a one-year anniversary post on Monday after I see my OS for the official check-in. :happydance:

Short version: The knees are great! I don’t hurt anymore. I sleep without any leg pain at all. Stairs are a breeze. I have developed a previously unknown fondness for ottomans. :snork:

One Year: Full Life Ahead

Mr. Shoes and I just got back from my one year check-up with my OS. Doctor was happy to see me, probably because he hasn't seen or heard from me other than for the occasional non-me question in 48 weeks, a good sign for a pleasant appointment. The X-rays look good. No signs of any loosening or other problems, which would have been a surprise because I haven't been having any problems.

I asked doctor about the DePuy Attune implant's tibial plate loosening problem. Doctor looked mournful. "You've been reading lawyer reports again, haven't you?" [I read a lot. And ask a lot of questions.] I assured him I am just curious. My knees are doing great. But this is a known issue -- and is this something I should be concerned about? What has his experience been?

He does hundreds of DePuy Attune TKR replacements a year. It is still his implant of choice. He said if he were to get his knee(s) replaced, this is the implant he would choose. The implant's tibia plate has been re-designed (that was done over a year ago) to provide for better bonding. I asked about my particular tibial plates: are they the re-designed ones or the original? He looked at my record. Redesigned.

Then we, including Mr. Shoes, talked a bit about how loosening can take place for many reasons and what to watch for should that ever happen, which it probably never will. I've gotten past the main risks of infection (unlikely now), chronic inflammation (not swollen at all anymore), and ROM or strength issues. Then doctor worked my knees around, said my ROM is excellent, and pronounced my surgery a full success.

He wants to see me again in four years. A five-year check-up. I hope I remember!

At one year after surgery, my ROM is 135/0 on the right and 130/0 on the left. Doctor said both knees can still improve ROM depending on how I use them, but he's happy if knees get to 120/0.

I go up and down stairs easily and without pain. High steps no longer bother me. I don't need to use handrails, but I like to use them. Always have. That has not changed.

I walk without any pain at all for as long as I wish. I have walked for five miles. Maybe I can walk for twenty, but I haven't tested anything further than five miles at a stretch.

I swim, but do not use this frog kick by choice. Doctor warned me that stroke would be hard on my knees, so I don't do it. I probably could... but I enjoy the crawl and do that.

I can ride a bicycle. Getting on and off at first was amusing to watch, but I got better at it as my balance improved and my confidence and strength. I stopped riding bikes on the boardwalk at Ocean City, NJ, something I love to do, four years ago because it was just too painful. Now when we go to the shore I can ride in the morning for donuts by the sea. It's pure heaven.

I can kneel down on one knee to tie a shoe and get back up again. It took a little practice to build up the muscle strength for this again. I hadn't done it in a decade! I can kneel on both knees, too. I use a pad for longer kneeling.

I have lost a total of 30 pounds and two clothes sizes since surgery. Some of it I lost early on from nausea and meds. The rest I lost thanks to taking regular long walks every day. Just being able to move normally and enjoy daily walks has given me many benefits. In addition to losing weight I have stopped blood pressure medication and reduced my type 2 diabetes meds.

Mr. Shoes and I are having lots more fun! We're going to more events, traveling more to see the grandchildren, enjoying ourselves more in bed, and just plain loving life without one of us (me) being in constant pain.

Was having both of my knees replaced worth the mental gymnastics (should I do this? What if I end up worse? What if this is a big mistake?), expense, and investment of time?

YES. A thousand times YES.

I've often told my sons I would do it all over again -- marry their father (a mistake), undergo childbirth, go through a disastrous divorce -- because they are so totally worth it.

I would go through all of BTKR again -- the doubt, the pain, the nausea, the boredom of early recovery, the brain fog that made me think I'd lost IQ points, the fear of the unknown and the flatlines of my progress -- to get to where I am today. Not being in pain anymore and being able to walk and swim and enjoy life again is totally worth it.

So here I am. One happy camper! :biking: :running: :swim: :walking:

Congratulations! Love your story and end results. Thank you for being here for the rest of us.

Ongrayulatiojs and thank you for sharing your TKR journey. I hope I get to the place where you are and will be glad I had my left knee done.

What a fantastic report!

I know it's a load off of your mind knowing that you have the new design. I googled and tried to find when the new one came out, but couldn't find out. I pray I have the new one, too!

Last edited:
One Year: Full Life Ahead[/

We can all relate to your story ... and just to hear you say it’s all good is so worth it!!!
I can’t imagine a year from now and how my knee will feel different... hopefully like yours!!!
I’m proud of you and your ambition to do both knees!!!! One knee is enough for me right now!!!
Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us!!!

Congratulation on your successful outcome. What a life changing experience and for those starting journey it is good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks