Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@Needhope I know what that's like, my mother's knee was the same as yours. I've watched her take a hold of her knee cap and pull/ push it back in place. She wore a brace every day.
 
Condolences on your father-in-law's death, Susie. I know it's been a difficult situation for your family for a long time. Your knee update is awesome - pretty much fully functional and life-liberating for you. Hooray! That's an outcome we all hoped for!
 
Susie, my apologies for having hijacked your thread on previous page. Sometimes I forget where I am in these Forums because I see familiar avatars. I’m sorry for the loss of your Father-in-law, some parts of life sadden us. Especially losing someone you love. Take care.
 
@Needhope, no apologies necessary! You're always welcome to share your experiences. This thread is so old (and long) though that anything said here is likely to get overlooked except by me. :wink:

Thank you for your warm thoughts about FIL. He lived a long and full life. How he went out was sad, but we are remembering him in all good ways now. That's how he would want it.
 
Mom had dementia for at least 15 years. In the end, it was really bad. She passed in 2014. Now, I think of the wonderful times I had with her growing and as a young adult! Much happier than those last months.
 
You (and anyone else who reads this whole thread) deserve some kind of award! It's a very long thread. .

Took me 8 days- 10 pages per day. Highly entertaining and also helpful. I was thinking that I’d love to meet up next time you are in Chagrin Falls with darling GS but then I realize how creepy that would be, especially for Mr. Shoes, as we, your faithful readers know so much about you, Mr. Shoes, the Big Italian Family, etc. (so, any more kidney stones? How do you like your new mattress topper?)
 
@CdnCarol, it’s a great town to meet up in, and we could pull it off, though you would probably have to meet some of the family, too. So many nice little places. Jenny’s comes to mind. :) I likely won’t be in Ohio again until fall, though. Time flies so fast!

Yes, there were kidney stones. More than one. :sad: He’s since recovered. We’re hoping to never see another! The mattress topper and I have entered a respectful truce: it is comfy to sleep on, and my knees both, at last, have made peace with turning over when in its embrace.

If my thread is helpful, it is serving its sole purpose. Thank you!
 
Sorry- I wasn’t actually asking about kidney Stoney and mattress toppers. I was imagining Mr. Shoes’ chagrin if I proceeded to pester him with questions about his/your personal life relating to nuggets you have shared with us. I’m not really that forward!
 
Oh, you aren't forward. :wave: I'm just terribly literal. It's true. My family has great fun at my expense. And Mr. Shoes is more likely to retaliate by telling you embarrassing things about me! :rotfl:
 
Out of recovery and in my room. Still have two legs and the feet work, so everything is okay.

[Bonesmart.org] SusieShoes' New Knees



Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
Nice feet :)
 
Day 1: My First 24 Hours with New Knees

Well, the knees are swollen and stiff as expected. The spinal wore off, which kicked the pain up a notch, but the nurse gave me an early dose of oxy, which brought things back under control. Since then I haven't had to ask for early doses. The med schedule works: oxy, Tylenol, and something for the swelling. I'm not pain-free, just okay with 2 or 3 on my personal pain scale.

Just saw my OS and he's pleased with my progress. "Doesn't take much to impress you, doc." All I can do is stand up and take a few steps to the commode. Today I graduate to the bathroom, which is twice as far. Very good report, so I'm feeling good about that.

Slept in fits and starts during the night. Woke up for pain pills and to request ice. Lots of ice!

Today I will be walking a bit. That should be fun. Funny how OS got a little twinkle in his eye when he told me that. All progress is good!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
I remember the pain in my knees and spine after my accident. Broke my spine and ripped my knees. So far, nothing has touched that pain. Pain scale, 20+. So, loving getting educated what I can expect for this surgery :)

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
 
At my rehab/transition unit they had a progress program. They had three colored dots, red, yellow, green. When first admitted you had a red dot on the bracelet, which means you needed a nurse or aide to get out of bed at anytime or to walk with you etc. After progress and eval at PT you could move up to yellow which means walking or getting up with a visitor (husband, friend). Finally, green you could get out of bed, bathroom, walk the halls (with walker) anytime. At night though, you always has to call the nurse to get out of bed.

I'm glad it's looking better for you!
That would not be me. Which is one reason Im not doing a rehab.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
 
I think I finally figured that out. Please excuse my damaged brain :)

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
 
Oh, you aren't forward. :wave: I'm just terribly literal. It's true. My family has great fun at my expense. And Mr. Shoes is more likely to retaliate by telling you embarrassing things about me! :rotfl:
Oh, my family too. And my priest today.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
 
I had 13 steps to climb to the first/main floor of my home and a bad left knee along with a new TKR. My family and OS wanted me to do rehab for their peace of mind. When my left knee is eventually done I’ll be going straight home!
 
Eleven Months: That Light at the End of the Tunnel...

I'm one month away from my one year check-up with my OS. Imagine that! A year ago today I was posting on the Pre-Op area and asking so many questions. When not asking questions, I was reading threads in the Recovery Area looking for answers to two all-important questions: What Will BTKR Recovery Be Like? and What Kinds of Problems Might I Encounter and How Can I Avoid Them?

So at eleven months I can reasonably answer my own questions.

What Was My Recovery Like. I have written all about it! It was pretty amazing. Yes, the first weeks (and months) were painful. More painful at first and less painful as time went on, exactly as my reading of threads and all the wise people who advised me had said it would be. There were a few surprises (more good than bad and a few that were bizarre but not unheard of) along the way. All told, though, my recovery was perfectly normal, faster than some and slower than others. As recoveries go, I had a good one.

What Problems Did I Encounter and/or Avoid? I'm going to say it -- because I researched, adopted, and applied :idea: what I learned from BoneSmart, I avoided a LOT of problems I could easily have run into. I'm a great believer in doing whatever is necessary to achieve an end... and if I had not found BoneSmart I would likely have pursued "no pain, no gain" physical therapy. As it happened, I ended up with an aggressive therapist. For me, though, the BoneSmart approach of gentle activity and lots of attention to healing the knees made so much sense I embraced it for my recovery. I told my OS what I was going to do. I told my PT what I was doing (and made sure he went along). I told Mr. Shoes --who became a convert very quickly when he saw the results. He's told more people about BoneSmart than I have. By sticking to gentle activity, just some bends and stretches and appropriate walking, my knees gradually got better... and better. All by themselves. I never worried about ROM because I understood it might fluctuate. :good-bad:

I stuck to my pre-op plan for recovery and as a result my recovery was relaxed. It also worked like a charm. I knew ahead of time that the first months of recovery might be slow as molasses, short of sleep, frustrating, and probably painful. When I encountered those things, I said, "Well, I was warned about that!" and looked for the positive every day. There were lots of positives. By looking at the good things that lay ahead --and by reading the recovery posts and great comments of BTKR people who were months ahead of me, or who had finished their recoveries-- I stayed positive.

So that's where I am at eleven months!

Not bad. Not bad at all. Next month I have a few questions for my surgeon and hope to be told my implants are both solid as rocks. Until then, I'll just stay the course by enjoying the new knees. :running: :biking: :fasthorse:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom