Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@SusieShoes You are my hero! I wanna be just like you.

I asked the OS about being sent to rehab vs going directly home from the hospital. He said, "If you go to rehab I have to check off more boxes. Being a bilat gives me a greater opportunity to check those boxes. If you want to go, you can go. If you want to go home I require that you are able to walk, get out of bed/chair and off the toilet. I also insist that someone will be in the home with you 24/7 for at least two weeks."

Dang! Fair enough.....I will, one way or the other, get out of bed, off the toilet and walk! LOL That being said, my husband will take off work and my mom has volunteered to come stay when he does need to go to work. Granted...if it is her getting me off the toilet, one of us may be on the floor, the other sprawled in the tub and the dog in the middle...but we'll be laughing our butts off! Ummmmm, which is why hubby is going to be here! ;)

I was also given three options for PT by the scheduler; in patient rehab, in home therapy or out patient. I'm leaning in home therapy for a few times, mostly for the occupational therapy end. I have a great massage therapist who has volunteered to come to me...
 
At home you have fewer chances of infection, too. I was alone after my recovery after the first day and I considered going to rehab. After much research, I decided home was the best place for me.
 
I would have gone home if my surgeon hadn’t so very much wanted me to do the rehab hospital. In my case, with my 93 year old FIL living at home and having serious hygiene and caregiving issues, the rehab hospital was a sensible choice. But home really is much more comfortable! You can totally do it, @Neehutchy.

If toilets are a concern, do get either a toilet riser with hand rails attached or a separate set of toilet rails (I had the latter). Having something to push up on with your arms is VERY helpful for bilaterals. The toilet rails I had were not attached to the toilet but could be moved around and could be used with, say, a dining room size chair.
 
I also used the toilet rails over my potty. They made it much easier.
 
Fun stuff. I’m at the Billy Joel concert tonight. It’s high security and I had to go through a metal detector. Phone and ponchos in the bin. Of course my knees set it off.

“Knees,” I said.

Security guard. “Show me the scar.”

No problem. I roll up the pant leg. “I have two,” I offer proudly. “Want to see the other?”

“Please don’t.”

He waved us in.

:rotfl:
 
@SusieShoes love Billy Joel. Have been going to his concerts since I was at the University of Miami I’m the early 80s

We took our kids this past New Year’a Eve. He played to a packed house at the Bank Atlantic Center, where the Florida Panthers (hockey) play.

As always he put on an amazing show!

Enjoy!
 
At WDW they’re ok just seeing my scar, the airport not so much. Glad you had fun!
 
I offered my scar at airport security in Sweden and the man just shrugged and said 'Anyone could have a knee replacement and still smuggle a gun.' Harsh but fair! I submitted to a pat down.
 
I fly from Edinburgh to Gran Canaria in Sept so I guess I have the pleasure of setting the alarms off.
 
There's fantastic airport assistance at Edinburgh Airport @Mollymax. I strongly recommend that you contact them. They cut out all the queueing and were so kind and helpful. I was 5 months out after my last TKR too.
 
Thanks Spex10. I had thought about that but didn't know if they were any good or not. I am going with my daughter who has a bad back and struggles herself plus my 5 year old grandson so this would help. Do you just contact the airport or the airline you are flying with? I will only be 12 weeks post op when I fly.
 
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom