Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@SusieShoes Iam so excited to read your report. I have been following you at four months behind and you give me such hope for a full life. Thank you for all your shares and advice. How fabulous for you. There are no words. Amazing success. Hugs.
 
Thank you for sharing your story. Especially the weight part. I’ve gained a lot in the last year from less activity.

You’re an inspiration on many levels. As I’m 20 hours in to my recovery - I needed to read this.
 
I know it's a load off of your mind knowing that you have the new design. I googled and tried to find when the new one came out, but couldn't find out. I pray I have the new one, too!

According to my OS, the redesign was undertaken (quietly... J&J didn't publicize what they were doing) in 2016. A series of grooves were added to allow for better bonding. I don't know when in 2016 this happened. The problems with loosening of the original design first appeared in 2015 and early 2016. Would your OS be able to tell you which you have?

Also, my OS said very few patients (out of the total number of Attune prostheses implanted) developed loosening due to the implant design. Enough, of course, that the manufacturer redesigned the tibial stem. Most patients, though, have had no problem at all, and my OS does hundreds of this implant a year. If you haven't had problems yet, chances are good you need not worry.

I am happy to hear I received the redesigned prosthesis. I wasn't really worried because I've had no issues suggestive of loosening. Still, it was, and still is, something I need to keep in the back of my mind.
 
Thank you for sharing your story. Especially the weight part. I’ve gained a lot in the last year from less activity.

Inactivity was how I gained a lot of my weight! I gained over 50 pounds in the ten years between the time my knees first got bad and I had my surgery. I lost some of that weight to prepare myself for surgery, twenty pounds over a year, and it was hard! I could barely walk. So I did the best I could.

My OS told me knee replacement didn't mean I would lose weight. I'd mentioned that as a goal of my BTKR. He said, "Replacing your knees will not cause you to lose weight."

"But I will be able to walk again, right?"

"Oh, yes."

"Then I will lose weight."

He was happy to see I'd done so. I love walking, and am enjoying exercise of the types I like, like swimming, so I hope to lose more. I'm not actively dieting, other than observing my carbs because of type 2 diabetes. It's just so wonderful to live more normally!
 
I wish I could love walking. It’s probably the best exercise for our whole body! I need to put more effort into doing it. The hardest part is walking out the door! :rotfl:

Seriously, I live in a pretty, small, safe community, there’s no reason, other than laziness on my part, not to go out and take a walk. :doh:
 
Walking is great exercise. I was so happy to get back to it. Among other things, now that I have been doing it for months, it has really helped strengthen my back (glutes, hips, lower back) and my abdomen, which helps with the back. For a while there, pre-surgery, it was like my skeleton was slip-sliding all over the place!
 
Last edited:
The problems with loosening of the original design first appeared in 2015 and early 2016. Would your OS be able to tell you which you have?
My tkr was 6/2/16, so I might be in that gray area. When I asked his PA about it about 6 months ago when I first started having problems, she said to come in if I needed to. I see him on the 31st and I will ask him. Something is wrong with my knee. Whether it's the implant or soft tissues, I guess I'll know then. All I know is it's getting worse, but not the symptoms of a loose implant.
 
@sistersinhim, I sure hope your OS looks into what is going on. Your knee should not be getting worse. :nah: It should just settle into a "fully healed now, nothing new happening here" normal. I will cross my fingers it's something easily corrected.
 
Thank you, Susie! It was better last year this time than it is today. I'll find out what he says.
 
One Year and One Month: Long Walks

Yesterday I reached a personal goal. I went to the Manayunk Art Festival, a huge event Mr. Shoes and I attended every year... until three years ago, when my knees became too painful. The festival is a mile and a half of juried artists' booths along the main street of one of the region's quaint old neighborhoods. Great arts and crafts to be had and also great food and music! Hours of good fun! As my knees got worse, the festival became as much torture as fun, but I kept going to it.

The year before last, my knees had gotten so bad even contemplating all the walking involved (parking and just getting to the street, much less the festival itself) made me want to cry, so we skipped it for the first time in 25 years. Last year at this time my new knees were just six weeks old. No matter how good my recovery was going, walking a great big event like the festival was out of the question. My recovery was more important.

This year I went!

We parked in our old favorite spot, walked down the hill (Manayunk is super hilly) and had a great time visiting all the booths and talking with the artists. I filled my tote bag with purchases for ourselves -- a beautiful new mug and colorful ceramic bowl for me and t-shirts and refrigerator magnets for Mr. Shoes -- and toys and finds for the grandchildren. We hiked one end of the street to the other and back again.

In all my new knees logged 4 miles of stop and go, uphill and down, standing and jogging (across a busy street), and just plain doing what knees are supposed to do. At the end of the day I'd logged over 16,000 steps. The knees never hurt even a bit. I didn't ice when I got home. No swelling. Not a single complaint. They feel great this morning too.

Just thought I'd post another picture of what a successful BTKR can look like.
 
Last edited:
@SusieShoes, you warm my heart and I can't help smiling. What a wonderful day you and your husband had, and what a huge endorsement for knee replacements you are. It seems that you are now living like a "normal" person. When I think about it, giving up a year for recovery is nothing when a pain-free life awaits afterward. I hope you will send a copy of your post to your doctor. Your always-positive attitude and the skill of your surgeon have given you your life back.
:cheers: :spin::yahoo:
 
Susieshoes,
Do you think your successful recover was, in part, to the first several days (or week can’t remember) in rehab facility?
That came up briefly during OS appointment last week.
I’m talking about those first 3-4 weeks.
Thanks!
 
Do you think your successful recover was, in part, to the first several days (or week can’t remember) in rehab facility?

Hmmm... that's an interesting question. In fact, it brings me to a conversation I had the other day with a neighbor who asked about my knees. She saw me walking and noted I was walking a lot, but that she hadn't seen me for a few years. I told her about my knee replacements and flashed the scars.

"Bilateral!" Her eyes widened. "Did you go to rehab?"

Me, not picking up on the clue, "Yes. But I don't think I needed it."

"You don't? But you needed the therapy."

"I could have done it at home."

She looked dubious. "I work at a rehab hospital. The bilaterals I see all need it."

Not wanting to diminish her work (I belatedly remembered she was a nurse), I assured her I had gotten a lot of benefit from the rehab hospital and we made some more small talk before she said she had to skedaddle to work.

So here's the deal: I got a lot of benefit from the rehab place, that's true. But I would have recovered JUST AS WELL at home.

You see, I think the therapy that helped me most was the occupational therapy... how to do stairs, how to bathe, how to get into and out of cars and chairs and off toilets. And the second part of therapy I found beneficial was training in how to use my walker... uneven surfaces, curbs, turning corners, how to navigate a kitchen while using a walker and cook a little food. That kind of thing.

The therapy I could have done at home was bending and straightening, walking, quad strengthening, and leg lifts. The exercising part I could have done on my own. I didn't need in-house PT.

What was really helpful about rehab for me was being out of the house where a 93 year-old with dementia had terrible hygiene habits. I was exposed to less chance of infection in the rehab hospital. I had better medical control of any issues also. I'm a type-2 diabetic who only became that way after a previous surgery where my blood sugar skyrocketed, so they wanted to watch my blood sugars and could do so better than I or Mr. Shoes. So those considerations were important in my case.

So I'm appreciative of the rehab hospital. It was medically a sound choice and I did benefit from several things about it.

But I was only there a week. I don't think it fast-tracked my recovery. I had decent ROM right after surgery. I went into the rehab hospital with a flexion of 95/90 and left with a flexion of 115/113. I think the therapy was helpful; we walked daily, a lot, and I learned different ways to bend my knees and that I liked some better than I liked others. It was a good experience and certainly didn't set me back!

If your surgeon wants you to go to rehab, and it isn't a financial hardship for you (insurance paid for mine), then you could take advantage of the rehab experience. It has pluses.

The minuses:
  • You will not be in control of your own pain meds. I had to lie to the nurses in rehab about my pain level, because if I wasn't dying from 8-10 level pain I did not get my oxy. I got Tylenol. :blackcloud::gaah: :censored:
  • You will not be allowed to go to the bathroom without summoning assistance. This can involve a wait. This can be really really annoying.
  • The food might be dreadful. Mine was. Wretched. You will have better food at home.
  • They will order tests. It's what hospitals do. Daily blood tests. Urine tests. I got an ultrasound for a bladder condition I don't have.
  • Rehab is more stressful than your nice, quiet home. It's just the nature of a hospital. The needing to call for assistance. The interruptions of your naps for shift changes. It's just not going to be as peaceful.
  • They may not have good TV. Just saying.

The reason I had a rocking good recovery is not because I went to rehab. I completely credit my recovery to BoneSmart. Even in rehab I followed the BoneSmart mantras to the extent I was able.
  • If it hurts, don't do it. If it hurts after doing something, don't do that thing again.
  • Control pain. Take pain meds on schedule.
  • Elevate. All. The. Time.
  • Ice. Ice some more.
  • Rest. Rest. Rest.
  • Listen to the knee.
  • Walking is the best exercise. Walk as the knee allows.
And that's it. I took it slow. I took it easy. I never tried to fast-track my knees. They were in charge. I controlled my PT. Now it happens I started out pretty well, and I was fortunate in that. The rest of recovery, though, was because I didn't do anything to set my knees back!
 
Thank you for summarizing over 50 pages of your thread! :rotfl: This is keeper that I will bookmark.

I was thinking more along the lines of OT in rehab. Your answered that perfectly!

I know everyone’s situation is different and I want to be prepared for a great recovery. No illusions here as to pain free recovery, but if I follow the Bonesmart way I know it will be ok.

I have a husband who keeps reminding me that he will take care of me, the dog, the condo. So that helps my frame of mind.

Thanks again!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom