Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

I hope all went well with your FIL today and you were able to focus on your knees.
 
Day 21: Three Weeks with Thing One and Thing Two

Three weeks is one of those knee replacement anniversaries that gets bandied about a lot. When asking around about knee replacements, I heard from people who "knew someone" who was playing volleyball at three weeks with his new knee. Another person supposedly went back to work. Then there was the wife of someone's co-worker who was hiking mountain trails. Now that I have reached three weeks, I pronounce all such stories... bogus.

Okay, maybe someone, somewhere did that. But I'm inclined to think they dropped a week or two or three somewhere along the way.

Week Three is better than Week One and Two. Life is getting more normal. I'm getting back some of my energy, just enough to want to hang my blouses in the right order in my armoire and tidy the bedroom. It looks like a hurricane deposited a department store around my bed. I want to fix that. During week two I didn't have such ambitions.

Week Three means I want to stand at the stove later this evening and caramelize onions for liver and onions. I still have that pesky iron deficiency/anemia problem. Mr. Shoes thought we could eat liver without onions, but that simply cannot work. I can haul over a chair. I can slice onions. I can cook them. I can whip up some instant mashed potatoes... or maybe let Mr. Shoes do that. He's gotten mashed potatoes down.

Week Three means I can walk up and down my block. It means I want to ditch the walker and use a cane, which I use upstairs, for everyday assistance. My OS said I should be walking 1000 ft. a few times a day. I'm not quite doing that. I'm going to have to throw off Mr. Shoes' protective rule about not walking outside without him. I don't see myself falling or anything. FIL can be left safely for the few minutes it takes me to parade up and down the street right outside my house. I don't want my recovery to take a backseat to the needs of others (though sometimes that's bound to happen, life being the way it is).

So that's where I am. Not much pain. Stiffness, really. Walking easily, but not yet independent of devices. ROM from PT yesterday is 110/105 flexion (Lefty lags), and 0/2 extension (Lefty still lagging). OS is happy and predicts further improvement. So do I.

PT story. There's a lovely lady at my PT whose appointments coincide with mine. Her TKR surgery was in mid-April. Her leg is still very swollen and her flexion is stuck at 38. We got to talking and she asked what I and the other TKR (revision) patient did to get our swelling down, because clearly the swelling was holding her back. Both of us immediately piped up, "Elevate and ice!" Revision patient is not a BS person, but she was on that. And this lovely lady said, "What's that?" We explained about toes over nose, using wedges or pillows, even sleeping with legs elevated (something I did and still do at times), and icing for swelling. No one had informed this poor soul about elevation! She said she was going to give it a try right away.

Mr. Shoes, ever the attorney, has decided that not informing this person about elevation might constitute malpractice. I'm not sure of that, but it certainly did her recovery no favors.

And things are going fine on the FIL front. He's low maintenance most of the time. I'm up to what little activity is needed to make him a sandwich for lunch. Mr. Shoes is still doing dinner for now... though I'm seeking to take on some of that. But not too much. Baby steps for baby knees.
 
Again, you are one amazing lady! Knowing your knees has been very beneficial for your recovery. Also, your sticking to what you know is right and doing it and not doing it! You are such an inspiration to others!
 
Three weeks is one of those knee replacement anniversaries that gets bandied about a lot. When asking around about knee replacements, I heard from people who "knew someone" who was playing volleyball at three weeks with his new knee. Another person supposedly went back to work. Then there was the wife of someone's co-worker who was hiking mountain trails. Now that I have reached three weeks, I pronounce all such stories... bogus.
Readers, take note. This is the straight word.

I can whip up some instant mashed potatoes... or maybe let Mr. Shoes do that. He's gotten mashed potatoes down.
Wow. Me and Mr Shoes are Men Together **highfive**.
 
@SusieShoes, c'mon, are you telling me there are no bells, confetti and fireworks on Day 21? Really? Darn, I was so looking forward to that, lol. I know you were as well and probably even purchased a special outfit; pffft! What absolute zero comes up with these arbitrary dates, huh? Oh, that's right, the mother-in-law of your next door neighbor's 2nd cousin once removed. Yeah, she can always be trusted for the straight scoop, eh?

Sounds like we have bedroom Dopplegangers, hahaha! However, I am still firmly planted in the "Don't Care," club. That said, it's great to hear you have progressed from this aberrant state of mind and on your way to a bit of order in the homestead. Just a bit though, right?

Mr. Shoes wanted liver sans onions? Sacrilege! He does get huge kudos for mastering the mashed spuds though.:yes!: I have been blessed with a Mistah (Beantown for Mister) who really cooks, unlike myself. He says I just throw things in the oven and pray for the best. He's right, so all meals are prepared by him. I am the Chief Bottle-Washer though. Right now, he's also taking that on along with every other domestic duty, besides still working FT at a very demanding job. Do we have great guys or what?

I see you've been practicing a bit with the cane; brava! The day we become device-free is definitely cause for celebration! When it happens for you, I'm going to have a party and will invite you for Mistah's meatballs and gravy. :yay:

The poor PT patient's story just tugged at my vintage heartstrings; sheesh! I sincerely hope she finds some relief and success by following the BoneSmart path. It certainly couldn't make things worse. I heard a similar tale yesterday from my visiting nurse about a patient whose OS does not want any of his patients ICING! What? Yep, all because he had a few who were minus common sense and developed freezer burn. Good grief. This good nurse makes it her personal mission to covertly educate them on the necessity of icing and the proper technique. I love a real rebel with brains.
 
@SusieShoes - Happy three weeks! It sounds like you are continuing to do amazing! Isn't getting those pieces of independence back the best? I fixed both my breakfast and lunch today and it was great! I would wish you good luck on the liver and onions, but I just can't. As a kid, my mom would fix them for my dad and brother because they both loved them o much, and she and I would enjoy something else for supper.

I can totally relate to having the energy to want to tidy up. While my hubby is amazing, he's not great at keeping the house as clean as I would like. I've been sneaking in a little bit of cleaning here and there when he's been out. Nothing major - just picking up and cleaning kitchen counters. This weekend when he's out disc golfing, I see a dust rag in my future!

Keep up the great work!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Getting back those normal little things mean so much! Only someone who's been there can understand that.
 
Just a little note of advice to Susie and @IowaNana , when you pick up the dust cloth, just dust one room and elevate. The same goes with vacuuming or tidying up, it takes longer but your knees will thank you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB - Good advice! The main room I need to dust is the living room. I will plan to do that this weekend, followed by rest.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
More Week 3: Using Canes

As my post TKR life moves into a new normal (at least I hope its moving toward normal), the slow pace of recovery is beginning to grate a bit. I've been expecting this. After all, I've been reading and learning on BoneSmart for several months now, so when these little milestones show up it's not exactly a surprise. My recovery is starting to drag.

Part of it is I hate my walker. HATE it. Despise it. First of all, it smells funny. A nasty chemically smell that turns my stomach, in no small part because I was smelling it the whole time I had raging nausea. It's a pain in the behind to get up and down the stairs, something Mr. Shoes must do for me. So I just leave it behind and use my cane when upstairs, even though I'm not cleared to use the cane. But I much prefer the cane, and move well with it, and figure what the PT people don't know won't hurt.

Today I just said the heck with it and used the cane downstairs also. I used it in the kitchen when making breakfast. I used it to let the dog out. The cane and I work perfectly fine. My OS had sent some videos on how to use walkers and canes, and I looked up a couple more on YouTube, so I think I'm doing it right. If PT won't teach me, I'll teach myself. I'm reasonably intelligent. I have advanced degrees in stuff other than using canes.

PT is annoying me also. I'm ready to move on. My PT guy is stuck on ROM stuff. My ROM is pretty darn good. I want more mobility and balance work. I might be in luck today because my PT is getting married this weekend, in Greece. He's far away. The PT taking over seems quite malleable. I shall bend him to my will and do some cane lessons today.

He heard me slap down my original PT guy last time about not doing leg presses. That's right, PT guy told me I was going to do leg presses. I said no, I wasn't. No leg presses. None. Nada. Never. He looked at me. I looked at him. I don't threaten easily. Okay, no leg presses.

Mr. Shoes and I have had discussions about this whole PT business. He is of the mind that there are two types of PTs. There are therapeutic PTs, who work to achieve a medical outcome; then there are body trainers/personal trainers, who want to achieve fitness goals. My guy is the latter. He's more of a personal trainer. I just want and need the minimal medical outcomes. Fitness is way down the road ahead of me. But he wants to get there tomorrow.

A full week after stopping iron pills and 8 days after stopping OxyContin, I can report my tummy is back to normal. At last. Oh my Lord, that was the worst part of my recovery so far. Now I can focus on my knees and only my knees, and not on fixing my roiling gut.

Tomorrow will be my first road trip for Family Saturday. I'll be going to SIL's house. Mr. Shoes and I discussed whether I could make the trip. I'm sure I can. It's 40 minutes in the car. I'm bringing my wedge for elevating and my ice packs. SIL has a recliner and I can also use her living room sofa if I want. I plan on being a total couch potato and not much fun, but think getting out of the house and enjoying a change of scenery will be good. Plus I will get to see more of the family, all of whom have been asking about me and will now get to see for themselves that I'm doing well. Another plus will be the food. Mr. Shoes tries hard, but our fare has been mostly grocery store TV dinners. SIL can cook.
 
Haha on PT. One day I had a substitute and I had to point out to him the BIG "No" written on my chart - I told him that reminds my PT not to touch me regarding ROM! Substitute tried to ignore that note and I had to inform him that I would get up and walk out if he pressed on my leg!!

Nicely explain to PT that you feel very ready for the cane and I bet they will show you their tips.

You're going to enjoy your family dinner "out of your house" and it sounds like you have it all planned out. Good for you!

Keep up the great recovery! Bring on the "patience grasshopper" because unfortunately - you are really entering the next (long) phase of: it's on knees time... you want to stay out of the ODIC. My first, actually bad, visit to that club cost me almost a weeks recovery, set me back.
 
Oh, SusieShoes, my sides are splitting in a good way, you brilliant rebel! :snork:
 
@Pheebs52, it took me many years and some grave mistakes before I learned that being a selective rebel gets more things done, and done better, than blindly following the rules.
 
@jaschembra wins the word wisdom award this morning with "Patience Grasshopper," Lol. I learned that the hardest way possible with my THR and have vowed not to repeat any of the mistakes made then. One of the biggest lessons I learned then was, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Yeah. The mind reaches the *willing* state long before the bod is actually ready. The lack of bodily readiness is often not apparent to the mind at this juncture, in fact, it may be totally invisible. As such, the guidelines given here for progression are more than just a handy reminder, they are (in my opinion) a medical necessity to prevent problems further down the road. I will grant that each of us heals differently, some faster, some slower, and we may not find ourselves exactly on the same timeline as the guidelines state, but....darn close. Not having had those guidelines when my hip was replaced, I succumbed to the lure of the ODIC and developed IT Band tendonitis, an easy, very painful malady to acquire and a darn tough one to shake. It set me back weeks, probably close to 8 weeks; aaaccck! During that setback period, I had to find new things to do that didn't involve my body, and so I learned to knit. It was relaxing and helped reduce my frustration level, and everyone I knew received wonderfully, warped scarves for Christmas.:flwrysmile:
 
My one concern for you right now with respect to the cane is related to your being bi-lateral. As such, do you use two canes? A single cane is always used on the non-operated side, but in your case, I'd think two are necessary to maintain a proper gait? I'm sure someone will come along soon and answer that question.
 
Leg presses at 3 weeks! Oh my! Stick to your gaunts, Susie! I went to a cane when I felt it was ok and drove when I felt it was ok. The day I drove myself to PT (2.5 months post op) the PT asked who cleared me to drive, I replied, "I did".
 
"Patience Grasshopper"... I think I need to appliqué that on a pillow and keep it with me at all times!

Being a newbie here - what is ODIC? I've seen it referred to a couple of times.

@SusieShoes and @Pheebs52 - I use two canes when I am walking any distance. My hubby says that my gait is more relaxed and normal when I use two. I'm not sure if I'm using them correctly or not, PT in the hospital didn't show me how to use them. I just use them how it feels comfortable to me, so I'm not sure if that's right or now.

@SusieShoes - have a great time at your family outing! It sounds like you are well prepared!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@IowaNana ~ ODIC ~ i think, not sure it's the Overdid it Club, just a guess.:what:
@ SusieShoes ~ i'm glad you're finally over the nausea and relieved to hear i wasn't the only one suffering from the nausea moreso than the post surgery issues. i agree about the recovery beginning to drag. enjoy your road trip and let everyone cater to you.:friends:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom