Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@IowaNana ODIC stands for "Over did it club" A place I believe we all visit at least once..

Susie, I am so impressed with how good you are at advocating for yourself. Every post shows that you are doing this "recovery thing" well. Congrats to you! :wowspring:
Since it sounds like you have worked out the logistics of the family dinner trip well, I think going will be really good for you. I also think that it sounds like you are ready to graduate to the cane (s). It does seem to me that you would need 2 for a bilateral, but hopefully the pt sub will help with that. Good luck with him.
 
Well, just got clearance to use the cane. :ok:

I'm open to instruction on whether I should use two canes or just the one. I used one at PT and he had me walking all over the place, but if two would be better, I do have a second one here at home. One thing in my favor, maybe, is that I have a "good" leg. Righty has very little pain at all, only a little stiffness, and for all practical purposes is the same knee he was going into surgery (except he will now get better, not worse). He's a strong leg and does all the heavy lifting on stair-climbing and chair-getting-out-of. So I use the cane on the right and it's been working.

@IowaNana, you've inspired me to try two canes when I walk outside. I think one is okay in the house, but maybe two would be better for my little walks, which I love. Want to stay safe, of course.

@liam2015, I saw you were also suffering the terrible tummy. Between painkillers and who knows what else, I guess it's no surprise some of us get hit hard by that. Pure, unadulterated misery. I'll take a slow, plodding recovery any day over that!
 
Yippee, SusieShoes! You know your knees and their strengths and weaknesses better than anyone else, and you were ready for the canes and now have the approval of PT! Never have taken PT, I would use the cane when I felt ready. When in a big crowd, I'd go back to my walker for safety's sake. You might find yourself needing to do that every so often at first. Don't fret, that doesn't mean you're slipping backwards. It just means you're being careful!
 
A cane is going to mean a whole new kind of independence. You'll be able to carry something and walk through the house! :yes!:
 
I'm open to instruction on whether I should use two canes or just the one.
Use whichever feels safer. If you start off with two, you'll gradually start to use only one. If you feel secure with just one, by all means just use that.

The only thing to guard against when using one cane is that you don't develop a habit of leaning on it too much and developing a lop-sided stance.
 
I agree with, Celle. When using a cane you need to consciously push and keep your shoulders back so you aren't hunching over.
 
Last surgery, I went from walker to 2 crutches to 1 crutch to cane. I didn't get to a cane for a long time. But when I did.... ahhhhhhhh so nice!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hope the two canes work great for you. Definitely watch your posture like KarriB says. At first I was putting them too far in front of me and I was hunched over.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm not a bilateral but used trekking poles when walking outside on my sloped yards. It really helped my posture and gait
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@SusieShoes, I forgot to say that my walker is also odoriferous; eeeuuuww! It's a very strong chemical/rubbery smell that is almost gag-worthy. I have gone over it with Lysol wipes to no avail. I find myself constantly scrubbing my hands to get rid of the odor as the handles seem to be the source.

I also forgot to say the most important thing and that is, enjoy your road-trip and family this weekend! I just know you will and you have a great plan for the ride and visit.:smile2:
 
Thanks all! In using the cane around the house post-PT, I noticed two things: when my knees get super-stiff, walking with a cane is harder than with a walker (must loosen those babies up first), and I love the freedom of the cane.
 
@Pheebs52, so it's not just me! That horrid smell definitely comes from the handles. I kept baby wipes beside my bed and recliner just to wash that stink off my hands. It triggered my nausea. Mr. Shoes tried everything to get rid of it. Clorox wipes. Febreze. Apple cider vinegar. Nothing worked. Maybe you can wrap the handles with duct tape? That was next on our list before today's reprieve.
 
More Week 3: Making Peace with Lefty

Family Saturday went very well. Handled the car ride with ease. Went straight to recliner and iced until lunch. Joined family at the table for a very tasty lunch, then a couple of games. Helped niece write a master's degree class assignment (helped her get started). Back to the recliner and more elevating and icing. After an hour, rejoined the family for a two-hour long game of Defenders of the Realm. Got our butts handed to us by a dragon. Back to the recliner for more ice and elevation until dinner. Delicious dinner. A couple more card games. Home.

I was exhausted, but happy the knees held up really well. A bit of leftover stiffness from PT the day before made those first steps with the cane slow and painful, but they'd loosen up and everyone pronounced my walking impressive. I am using one cane very stably.

The most difficult part of the trip: SIL's low toilet. Yes, the dreaded LOW toilet. No rails. Nothing to grab onto but the toilet paper holder and the sink. What to do? Cane to the rescue. Between pushing on the toilet and the cane, I was able to get off the infernal thing, but it was like cantilevering a skyscraper. For subsequent trips, I admit I... used my cane and squatted over the toilet a bit and never fully sat. Just easier that way. TMI, perhaps, but fair warning should this situation befall you.

As for Lefty... here's the deal. My right knee is a model citizen. Lefty is a pain. He hurts at night sometimes. He has this one spot, just one spot, located on the inside and just above an obvious bruise, that balks and hurts whenever I want Lefty to bend. If I bend past a certain point, I also move past the pain. Not sure what it's about, but this is the problem point. It's not excruciating or anything, but very annoying. Lefty is more swollen than Righty. Lefty has farther to go. Lefty hates PT more than Righty does and has zero tolerance for anything harsher than stretches and leg lifts. Lefty is strong and fairly good at leg lifts.

This afternoon I took another lovely walk, this time with Mr. Shoes and while using a cane. My first long walk without a walker. Long being relative, of course. A city block. One city block. The knees started out stiff, loosened up, and then handled the walk with ease and little discomfort. My back started to protest a bit by the end... not surprising given I've been so much off my feet for so long (three weeks). My entire body needs to get back into good walking order. Also, my anemia is still pronounced enough my heart rate shoots up and I tire quickly with exercise. Continuing to work on the iron by eating lots of Cheerios, Ensure, liver, and spinach.

All in all, today was my best day since the surgery. This morning Mr. Shoes and I took a drive through local horse country... beautiful houses and farms, horses, very pretty... to my rehab hospital to return the walker they lent us. It was nice outing. So normal. Very happy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That all sounds like a great day that you handled very well. Congratulations!

Lefty is going to do all right. Perhaps his condition was a bit worse before surgery, so he needs a bit longer, but he will get there.
 
It's so nice to read about your pleasant day. Your posts always bring a smile to my face and encourage me to remember this recovery will eventually end. What are you taking for pain at 3 weeks. I just quit using half of Oxys 350. My surgeon scripted Tramadol 50 mg last week, and they are not cutting the deep ache and lower back pain. So, I'm icing more and go to bed to stretch more often. I think the hardest part of this journey has been working through the medication drama. How do you cope with pain? Thanks
 
Yay for the best day yet! Normal never felt so good, I bet!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@SusieShoes I have to confess that I became a dab hand at the squatting over the toilet bowl position!!! As I started to get out and about it was amazing how many low loos I had to use. If there was a loo for the disabled I used that but otherwise I had to squat, only upside was I figured it was good for the ROM !!!
 
Yay for your best day yet and knowing that even more of those to come! And congrats on your trip with Mr. Shoes and only a cane! You go, girl! What an inspiration you are to all those coming up behind you!
 
Sounds like a great day! Sorry lefty doesn't behave as well as Righty. I am sure he'll catch up soon. :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom