Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@Pheebs52, dandy wedge, isn't it? :thumb: One of my best purchases. Maybe I'll write a post about best TKR recovery purchases. LOL I hope to use a cane very soon, though the way I feel today I just want to stay in bed. But yes... more mobility is the goal!
 
Day 15: The Recovery Strikes Back

After such a good day yesterday, it was perhaps inevitable the law of averages would catch up to me. My knees still feel fine! Not much pain, just some tightness and stiffness. When I get up and walk around with my trusty walker the knees are well-behaved.

I did sleep kind of funny, somehow, not sure how, that made Lefty cranky during the night, throbbing and unhappy. Maybe during sleep I turned him funny. He woke me up twice. After rising and walking, and a nice shower, he settled down. Not sure why I call my knee a "he." Daddy issues? In any event, hours later and Lefty feels good.

But I did have a bad night of broken sleep, surprise pain, and an unsettled belly. My gut issues began the day before, as early as lunch, actually. I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which I love, and... well, before I could even finish it, the smell made me want to hurl. I never did hurl, but I wanted to all through the rest of the day and evening. Miserable. I still ate--got to keep the strength up, and I do have post-surgical anemia, etc.--but got no enjoyment from food at all. Went to bed feeling off and hoping for a good night.

Which I did not get. I have no idea what caused this, though am inclined to blame my meds. My poor body is being subjected to a cascade of chemicals. New drugs. Old drugs. More vitamins than can possibly be used by human flesh. And all sorts of pills to ward off constipation. Now that I'm weaning off the opioids, I may not need the latter heavy artillery. Certainly I spent a few hours cleaning out the system and feel much better as a result. If this is some tail end of opioid withdrawal, I shall soon be done with it.

After a very light breakfast (my appetite remains off), lots of fluids, and a good nap, I feel myself again. Wiped out a bit (again), but not like I want to throw up. The knees are bearing with me, unaffected by my tummy woes. They just helped me pick up the mail and take a package (heavy... whatever did Mr. Shoes order?) from the nice mail guy. I used my grabby tool--free from PT at rehab, be sure you get yours--to pick up a glider (Mr. Shoes protects his carpets) that came off the walker. It worked! Reinstalled glider. I'll do a few light exercises with the knees later, and get in more walks... though they've had plenty of work getting me to the bathroom and back!

Also had a nice visit this morning with one of Mr. Shoes' co-workers, who rode with him to the seminar. She's a good friend of many years and it felt good to have a guest. Her father, she said, needs this surgery but is afraid of it. I told her I was very happy to have done it and recommended he check out BoneSmart for sound information from genuine people who've had the procedure.

There's ups... and there are downs. But the consensus is a thumbs up.
 
Hmmmm, I think I will take your words and begin to live with them: I'm going to embrace my knee and stop treating it as though it is a foreign body. "He" would probably appreciate that! I think it's the masculinity of the implants themselves and the hardcore surgery that was performed is why we say he, lol.

As they say: this recovery is not a linear process. You'll be feeling better soon. Be sure and wean slowly with those narcotics.
 
Hubby moved into spare room for 10 weeks, there is no way we could ever have shared, I found I had to sleep slap bang in the middle of the bed to allow my new knee to stretch out into a comfortable position
 
@SusieShoes, like you, I was also interested to see how my new knee would feel. For instance, would I feel like I had an alien in there? Nope, other than being tight and swollen, I don't feel anything unnatural; whoohoo!

I slept on my side last night....should I not have?
 
Whoops, I just saw your prior post on a bad day and evening! I'm so sorry to hear you had such a rough time, but I suppose it was bound to happen eventually, eh? Perhaps you aren't weaning off the narcotics slowly enough? That said, I know I also have zero appetite and some foods I normally enjoy just don't taste right. Even chocolate, *gasp*! Oh well, I could lose a few pounds and I think I have already....what a way to do it though. Here's hoping today is a better one for you!:cheers:
 
@Pheebs52, by all means, sleep on your side! My OS said I could do so as soon as I could manage it. I think in my case, with both knees, it's just a bit more hit or miss. If I nail the position right away, I sleep on my side like a baby. Just doesn't seem to happen some nights.

And for every good day there's bound to be another that's less good. Even a less good day is, knee-wise, better than before surgery. It could be I was trying to ditch the oxy too fast, but my bet is on the meds making my tummy unhappy. I've felt acidic and off for days now. On the plus side, yeah... I've got some pounds to spare, so I'm not fading away anytime soon.

I've been following your thread. Sounds like you're doing really well! Double whoop!
 
I remember one of the first things I wanted to do in the hospital when pt got me up to walk, was to put all my weight on my new knee to see if it would hold me. And it did!! That brought up my confidence in it right then.

@SusieShoes, did you all have the storms go through last night? If so, they might have been the cause of your knee pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sistersinhim, that first stand up is a doozy! I thought what if these new knees can't hold me? But then they did. That does boost confidence right up there.

Yes, we did have storms, and it was raining all morning. Finally drying only now. Never thought about the weather causing knee pain. It never did before, but maybe now it does (or will for a while). Something else to start tracking in my journal.
 
Love reading your thread, SusieShoes! I'm in the opposite corner of PA near Erie. I really hope I am as upbeat :flwrysmile: as you are in a few weeks! And I would love to know your best purchases :idea: for tkr as I am in the purchasing mode! I'm set to get mine done June 13th!
 
When my knee was young, storms had a really bad effect on my it. Now, no weather pain at all!
 
Yes, weather, rainy and barometric pressure is affecting my new knee
 
So I will be able to blame being an old curmudgeon on my knee after surgery? :yes!:
 
You are doing amazing! I am envious of sleeping on your side. I haven't gotten brave enough to try that yet. I definitely miss it!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I found if my new knee was on top and swung way over my other one with a pillow under it, but I could do it for a while. Eventually, it improved. You might give it a try.
 
Day 18: Guts

Apologies for being absent a couple days. I blame it on my belly. The knees are doing great! Recovery full speed ahead. Alas, my gut... most of last week I was sick as a dog. Nausea. Belly pain. No appetite whatsoever; in fact, I was wickedly food-averse. Any food smelled so awful I wanted to vomit. Every taste was disgusting. Even water made me sick. Needless to say, my personal doctor was not amused. She saw me at once on Friday and we worked out what might be going on. After all, doesn't matter how great my replaced knees are doing if the rest of my body just up and rebels.

How it went down: narcotics started it, iron was making it worse, and some of the way too many pills I was taking could be discontinued. I had been stopping the oxy anyway, and I just stopped altogether on Friday. No oxy since then and I feel fine. Doctor agreed I might have some withdrawal symptoms in the mix. But the main culprit was almost certainly the iron pills I was taking twice a day for anemia. I reacted badly to iron during my pregnancies decades ago, and apparently that hasn't changed. Doctor took me off the iron until Tuesday, with orders to drink protein drinks (they have lots of iron) and eat iron-rich foods should my appetite return. I'm getting a CBC on Friday to see how my hemoglobin levels are responding. If the levels show improvement, we'll continue this way. If not improved at all, I will undergo iron infusion therapy.

One way or another, I need to make more red blood cells.

The good news is... stopping the iron worked! I'm sure being off the oxy helped. Yesterday I had a good appetite for the first time in weeks (even in rehab, I had a jumbly tummy and no appetite). I ate a donut for breakfast (Mr. Shoes knows I cannot resist a glazed ring donut), and tasty chicken nuggets for lunch, and pasta for dinner. Yes, another family Saturday. It was great! I sat with legs up on an ottoman and played a board game with the family. They were happy to see me feeling so much better. I was happy to feel nearly normal again. After icing my knees, I went to bed seriously tired out and had a good night's sleep.

And my knees are being troopers. Joint pain now is minimal. I may take Tylenol once a day, twice if PT is involved. Today Mr. Shoes and I walked outside for the first time. I'd felt too sick to do much of anything last week. Today we walked up the block three driveways, then down to the first driveway past ours. And that was enough. The knees loosened as I walked and it felt so good to be out in the open air, enjoying the sunshine and flowers. We're planning another walk for this evening.

Hope everyone is doing well! I'm off to read everyone's thread.
 
I am so glad you got your tummy under control. Now, to get your iron straightened out! Thank God, at least you're eating and that should help your iron level. Your knee recovers are amazing!
 
@SusieShoes, yikes, your gut has been through the wringer! I'm so happy to hear you discovered the culprit and can now begin to enjoy some protein rich food.:-) I had to laugh at sneaky Mr. Shoes presenting you with that glazed donut.:heehee:

Your BTKR recovery just seems astonishing to me! I mean, it's only been 18 days! What will you be like in 3 months? I think Mr. Shoes better rest up and conserve his energy for the new, improved Mrs. Shoes who will be unstoppable; huzzah!
 
@Pheebs52, Mr. Shoes is counting on new, improved Mrs. Shoes. He's 10 years younger than me. LOL When my knees got really bad a few years ago, they altered our formerly more active life: cruises, art fairs, museums, GenCon every year, and sightseeing in cities we visit. I used to walk EVERYWHERE. And then I couldn't walk at all. We're both looking forward to my new walking legs! Thanks for the good wishes. Sounds like you're doing really well, also. Yay!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom