Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

I am so glad your tummy issues are under control. That is miserable. It sounds like your knees are doing great! Glad you got to walk outside. I took a 15 minute walk with one of my daughters yesterday and it felt wonderful!
 
SusieShoes ~ so glad you got your tummy issues under control. i can totally relate to how you felt; couldn't even brush my teeth without gagging; stopped all meds at the 3 week mark and still it took a couple weeks to feel somewhat better. i am so impressed with your progress. p.s. i should add that i'm now taking tylenol for the pain and achiness.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Iron pills made a mess of my stomach too, but I'm glad you're on the other side of it now. You might want to try 4,000mg of Tylenol throughout the day to keep it in your system for a while. Just be sure nothing else you're taking has Tylenol included.
 
@Roy Gardiner, oh, I take the Tylenol after PT if needed. Usually only icing is needed. But even in rehab I didn't take pain meds before PT. The nurses thought I was off my rocker doing it that way. My pain overall isn't bad. Lots of stiffness, mostly, that loosens up as I move.
 
Day 19: Holding the Course

Small improvements, but nothing much to report. Nighttime and sleep is getting back to normal, which really helps my daytime energy. My stomach is, hallelujah, much improved. Drinking an energy drink or two daily and eating liver, for iron. Enjoyed another lovely walk outside, adding distance and handling it well. Knees love to walk! They like their exercises less, but did those, too.

Actually forgot to use my walker this morning when walking from bedroom to bath. Realized it halfway there but decided not to turn back because I really had to go. Really. Made it, and walked back on own power. Of course the distance was maybe ten steps. LOL. Still, surprised myself.
 
Well done, Susie! Forgetting the walker is the first step towards not needing it and progressing to a cane.

Walking is the best exercise of all, so you could probably cut out the other exercises on the days that you have a nice walk.
 
Baby steps lead to big steps. You just did your big steps to the potty and back! You go girl!
 
Dear SusieShoes,
I love your recovery thread to bits! It's like an early Christmas gift to all of us who are tackling this surgery- by ones or by two's like you did. Or any surgery! Or any challenge at all.
My LTKR comes up Monday June 5, and I just read your entire thread from start to finish, and could weep for joy at your fabulous trek, your inimitable optimism, and the jolt of positivity it has injected in me about what is coming. You write abit like the author Jill Churchill, (cozy mystery writer) with such love and humor it, writing (seriously) oughta be a new career idea for you.
' Atta Girl, SusieShoes! Methinks Mr. Shoes best warm up his sneakers, you'll be racing him down the beach soon!
Thanks so much for sharing all the way!
Warmly, T
 
Well, SusieShoes, I guess I've got egg on my face-- you ARE already an author!!! Just noticed it on your profile. :heehee::loll:
How wonderful! Maybe you are Jill Churchill, the mystery writer!

Would love to know what you write and if any are available to us to enjoy?
 
Day 20: Resumption of Normal Life, i.e. Caregiving Duties

Woke up with less knee pain than previously. Little bit of stiffness, but no pain upon moving. Crossing my fingers this is not just a fluke, but a sign of progress.

I haven't talked a lot about how Mr. Shoes and I care for his 94 year old, demented father at home. This is a part-time duty, every other week. FIL is not difficult to care for... serve him breakfast, lunch, and dinner... and clean up after him in the bathroom because he's, well, not always good in there. Other than that, it's set him up with the television and leave him to nap, which he does heavily. Well, Mr. Shoes went to work today (poor man, I think work is now his easier task) and I will be trying my hand at caring for FIL. I have his breakfast set up already, just need to add milk to his cereal and serve his coffee. We'll see how it goes. After breakfast, I shall retire to my room to rest and ice.

BTW, I made clear from the start that I will be unable to do anything beyond serving meals. I might mop up any bathroom mess, but I won't be scrubbing floors. And if FIL falls, I can't try to help him up. I call 911. So the family is clear on my limits as a caregiver. I'm basically just on watch.

I'm all about me and my knees.

PT today. SIL coming down to father-sit. I just appreciate getting out of the house! This PT outfit picks me up and drops me back off at home. Kind of a nice set up. Also, the exercises are gentle and I enjoy the knee massage.
 
@TMWDeM, did I put that in my profile? I guess I did when I first joined, but forgot. Yep. I write novels and even publish a few. But I'm far from a household name (certainly not Jill Churchill). Neither do I make a lot of money at it. Writing fiction is what I love and now that I've retired, it keeps me out of trouble. Most of what I write is science fiction and fantasy, but not mainstream.
 
@Jennszoo, yeah, it's one of the perks of living in a dense suburban area with hundreds of choices for PT. There're PT offices every few blocks, it seems. Competition breeds innovation.
 
You are an inspiration as I read through your recovery to date! Wish I was as brave as you getting them both done! I'm doing one at a time, which kind of frightens me a bit, knowing I have to do this twice! Thank you for sharing, have a wonderful day!
 
Susie, good luck with fil duty today. Don't let anything make you abandon your resolve to keep your knees your first priority. Your journey so far has been incredible and such an inspiration to others. I know I will be thinking about how well you did when I have my second knee done in August.
 
@SusieShoes, hope all goes well on the FIL front today! I know what it's like to care for a dementia patient and let's just say, "Things happen."

How great is it to have a PT that picks you up? Wow! I also live in a dense, urban area, but don't have that particular service.

Glad to hear you woke with no actual pain today! Your journey just never ceases to amaze me. I think perhaps you've been blessed with some miracle genes. :happydance:
 
You are such an inspiration to those of us who are waiting to have surgery and to those who are recovering as well. I so enjoy reading your post.
 
It sounds like you are continuing to make amazing progress. You are an inspiration! I hope that your time with your FIL want well and I'm glad that you set boundaries for what you can / can't do.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom