Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@AlaskaGrandy, I'm so happy to hear you just keep getting better. It's not an overnight healing, that's for sure! And I also had enchiladas tonight, though made my Mr. Shoes, who shares my love for good food from south of the border.

And yes, @Celle, holding hands while falling asleep with your love is one of life's richest pleasures.
 
We've been holding hands while we go to sleep for 46 years now. It's become a habit!
 
I'm envious! What a blessing you two have!
 
@Celle and @SusieShoes - that's so sweet that you fall asleep holding your love's hand each night! My hubby has been sleeping in the guest room in fear that he might kick me in the middle of the night. I miss him next to me, but it's also been nice that I don't have to worry about interrupting his sleep if I'm having a rough night.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
After my first kneecap removal, my ex husband turned over in his sleep and bumped my knee pretty hard. It hurt! I slept on the sofa after that until healed! It was hard enough to sleep without having to worry about being bumped during the night!
 
SusieShoes, it's great to hear you have graduated to side sleeping already; yahoo!
 
Day 12: Lovin' the Knees

Just got back from my first post-op visit with the OS office. Did not see OS himself but had a nice follow-up with his PA. Behold the first official photo of Thing 1 and Thing 2. The PA was practically giddy about my recovery so far. She didn't measure ROM, just had me sit in a chair; my legs went back past a line under the chair. When she flattened my knees on the bed, they went flat. Only thing she pushed on was my thigh. At no time did anything hurt. Watched me walk, and I guess my gait is good. She's predicting I'll be using only a cane in a week or so. I see the good doctor himself in six weeks.

So that was good. Mr. Shoes and the PA engaged in an animated discussion of how best to elevate and ice. He's a total convert. It's so cute! When I first started stockpiling All The Necessary Stuff, like my contour wedge and gel packs, he gave me indulgent sighs and looks like he tends to do when I buy a new handbag. "Yes, I know you will use it--but seriously, do you really NEED it?"

The answer, of course, is always yes. And now he sees! The PA praised his (our) elevation/icing/pain med schedule and kept saying how elevating and icing was key to reducing the swelling and getting greater ROM and progress in the new joint. Mr. Shoes is nothing if not an active helper. My nightmare would have been if he'd been initiated into some Cult of Aggressive PT. Fortunately, OS is very nearly a BS practitioner. Elevate, Ice, Rest, Pain Control, and Gentle Exercise (though more of it than BS advocates). We'll see, of course. PT is the next order of business, and that's this afternoon.

Getting out of the house was good for my spirits. I have blinged my walker with a clever pink purse hook, took along a cute handbag (the peacocks are adorable), and wore a pretty top.

Mobility was not a problem at all. Went down the front steps using the cane. Used my walker the rest of the time. Got into and out of the car without difficulty, just a minor amount of strategic shifting of my center of gravity and maneuvering of my leg. Speaking of which... the swelling is down! They're skinnier! Nothing that a model would ever envy, but definitely less than they were just days ago.

Oh, and Mr. Shoes is pleased by the PA's recommendation for incision care. Yes, the incisions look great. (Actually, they kinda do. If they heal anything like they look right now, they won't be too bad at all.) The PA recommended gently rubbing them with Vitamin E oil, or Palmer's Cocoa Butter with Vitamin E. Mr. Shoes has gone out to see if he can find any to purchase. These knees are going to get soooo spoiled!
:bath:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SusieShoes' New Knees
    IMG_0146.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 379
What beautiful new twins you have! Be careful on your pt visit. You've already had a busy day and pt just might wear you out.
 
Yay for a great day. Do,you mind sharing a link to your wedge pillow? I've been using two pillows and I'm kinda over them. Do you use your wedge on the recliner? I think I'd like something with more structure than these dumb pillows. I researched wedges before surgery but overwhelmed by the options and didn't get one.
 
Great report from your first visit. Let us know how PT goes. I think you're going to be super tired by the end of the day.

I used Palmer's Coca Butter from a tub, but it may be too early for that. You should wait until the scabs etc are totally healed. Now I use Palmers on my feet everyday!
 
@Jennszoo, this is the wedge I bought. I agree, it's confusing trying to sort out the different ones. I wanted one with a "dip."

Amazon product ASIN B017DO67OS
Though I have used it on my recliner, I prefer it for bed (comfy sleeping) or couch. The angle is just a little steep on the recliner... this recliner, these hips and knees. On my recliner, I use two extra firm pillows fastened by giant safety pins (another BS tip).
 
Congrats on the great appointment! You are doing an amazing job in your recovery. I get inspired by reading about your progress!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I bought two 'wavy' wedges. One for my recliner and one for my bed. That way I wouldn't have to try and carry it while on a walker.
 
@SusieShoes "On my recliner, I use two extra firm pillows fastened by giant safety pins (another BS tip)."

Another hint would be to Safety pin something like this on the bottom of the pillow stack 'Ultra Non-Slip Rug Pad Specialized For Hand-Knotted Rugs 3x5.' It might help keep the stack from slipping out of position.
 
I'm glad your check up visit went so well, Susie. Mr Shoes is a great helper.
Well done, both of you.
 
Well, continuing Day 12, outpatient PT was interesting. I don't mean that in a bad way, either. There's lots of talk about PT and how to approach it, and I wasn't sure what to expect or how I might react. All in all, it went very well! That's mostly because I know who's in charge. That's right... me.

My sole experience with PT before my knees was with a frozen shoulder about a dozen years ago. Over a period of about two months, my left shoulder became unable to move. I couldn't lift my arm out to the side more than a couple inches. Couldn't move my arm behind my back (no more fastening bras). Forget out in front of me or over my head. My range of motion was severely limited. I went to see a shoulder specialist at the orthopedic institute where I later went for my knees, and got referred to a physical therapist he worked with. Her and only her, he prescribed. I couldn't afford frequent therapy sessions, but I paid for a weekly session with her and swore upon a stack of Bibles I would do all exercises at home, as many and as hard as she ordered, between appointments. It took four months, but I got all range of motion in my shoulder back. All of it. Apparently that's uncommon. She wrote a paper on me about working with the motivated patient of few resources. The point being, I respect physical therapy. Done well, it rocks.

So Mr. Shoes and I walk into the PT place and check it out. It has important things we need. Convenient location close to our house. Flexible scheduling (cannot leave FIL alone at home ever). Covered by our insurance. And best of all, the therapist willing to take me on is willing to exchange ideas. His assessment was thorough and in no way rough.

After some bends and things, he concluded I do not need ANY flexion exercises. My flexion just now was 105 in each knee. I'm done with flexion. (Yes! Yes! Oh sweet mother of all the angels... yes. I hate those exercises.)

I barely need extension exercises. He wants me to do quad sets while watching TV. Just keep doing what I'm doing.

He wants to work on building balance and confidence in my new knees, prepping me for walking without a walker, and soon without a cane. He also will get me started, very gently, on a bike.

Like I said, sensible. I can work with sensible.

Thing is, as I was telling Mr. Shoes on the drive home, I don't know if he'd be a good therapist for someone who needed to work on flexion. When we talked about flexion, and I said something about how I've heard of therapists taking the joint and forcing it, he said, "Well, you don't need that." NO ONE needs it. Of course, I've already told him the first time he lays hand on my leg and tries to force it to do anything, I'm out the door. I think many therapists need to be reminded about borders.

Until then, back on elevation and icing. They're working. The BS mantras are magically transforming my new baby knees. Tomorrow I plan to be very gentle with them indeed.
 
The point being, I respect physical therapy. Done well, it rocks.
I agree good PT therapy is worth having and your therapist is sensible. Working on balance is one thing that many therapists forget to do, in their concentration in ROM numbers.

However, no PT at all is better than bad PT.
After some bends and things, he concluded I do not need ANY flexion exercises. My flexion just now was 105 in each knee. I'm done with flexion. (Yes! Yes! Oh sweet mother of all the angels... yes. I hate those exercises.)
I don't know if he'd be a good therapist for someone who needed to work on flexion.
There's no way of knowing if he'd be a good therapist for flexion. You'd have to see him in action.
I know this, though - you don't have to work hard to achieve flexion. When your knee is healed enough and the swelling has gone down sufficiently, the bend will be there.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
Flexion is all about the swelling. Something I kind of knew about myself, but didn't want to jinx my recovery by thinking about too much, is that I'm not a "sweller." I've had a ton of dental work, including extractions and implants, and... I don't swell after treatment. Not much. I barely need pain medication after. And after my hysterectomy, a procedure many women swear gives them "swelly belly" that lasts for weeks or months... I had none. I went right back to wearing my regular pants. So... there's one reason my flexion came back quickly.

I can tell you for a fact exercise had nothing to do with it. I exercised LESS than other people, like the ones I saw in rehab who'd been exercising five days to my two.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom