Lounge Doctor

TKR Struggling to Bend

OP
OP
J

jessicarogers36

Country
United States United States
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of I don't want to have to do that. I've heard it's really painful so would be like starting from the beginning. I was barely awake and even with a nerve block the pain was out of this world. The turnikit they put on caused me thigh pain for 2 weeks. I had a pain pump catheter in my thigh 4 days after surgery that was supposed to help with pain but just added extra fluid to my thigh.

OP
OP
J

jessicarogers36

Country
I just wished I wouldn't of done it out patient. I wish I would of took the hospital stay for a few days to get better pain control. I had no idea what I was supposed to do the first few weeks so I did nothing because it hurt so much. They cut me off pain medication after a week and a half. So it's been a difficult 4 weeks.

Jellyfingers

Country
Ireland Ireland
I dream of 90 degree bend! But I'm improving, probably at 75 and 5 weeks into recovery.....trying to be patient and Don't really have a choice as the pain is too much so exercising and chilling :)

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
It sounds to me like between your OS, PA, and PT you have been intimidated and abused @jessicarogers36. You are doing plenty of activity without PT. You would do fine without it.
Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
I agree it definitely tells me when I've done too much. When I do too much it buckles like crazy and they tell me that's ok push through it but it scares me. They say if you fall in your apartment you'll be ok to just trust the knee. I do not trust it yet. It does not feel like mine yet.
It's bad advice to tell you to "work through" pain when you are in the early months out of surgery. Granted, you can find some patients that do aggressive therapy like this and come out okay in the end, but it's not for the majority. Therapy and movement is great and an important part of a successful recovery. Inflammation and the pain and swelling that follow it are counterproductive. The trick is to move enough to challenge your knee on a regular basis, but not so much as to cause a level of pain where the tissues become inflamed.

And frankly, the idea that someone in the medical profession would tell you that it's "okay" if you fall is just wrong in so many ways. The number one thing you DON'T want to do is fall as you risk injuring yourself and your new knee. You are on the right track by listening to what your body is telling you and responding accordingly. You will trust the knee in time. And, if you're not using a walker to keep yourself stable, please do. At this point with your knee feeling weak, you are a fall risk. A walker gives you the most support to prevent that and it will help you learn to trust your knee as it becomes stronger. I used my walker for a full 6 weeks at home because it enabled me to walk with a more normal and stronger gait. When walking around the house, with a walker to support me I could focus on taking longer strides with the correct heel-roll to toe movement.

MrsJW

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I don't want to stop PT it does make me feel better after leaving. It helps me feel loosen up and able to walk better. I will have them stop pushing on my knee though. I have to be honest I haven't been doing my part at home like I should be and I need to be doing my at home exercises. No excuses but I have them lol. I'm exhausted from lack of sleep and so sore. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever done and there's been times I wished I didn't do it.
I don’t do my physio every day either. Sometimes I’m too sore/stiff/exhausted. I do it as often as I can and I make sure I don’t hurt myself. I’m still worried about the wound opening up (it’s completely closed and I know it won’t - just feels so tight) or doing some kind of damage so I’d rather take it slower. It does sometimes feel like I take one step forward and two steps back the next day. My sleep has improved but it’s still hit and miss. Sometimes I am so tired I feel ill and definitely not in the mood for exercising. Last night I had a terrible nights sleep but I’m always optimistic when I go to bed! Try to be gentle with yourself and don’t worry too much if you’re not doing all the exercises you’re “supposed” to be doing. X

OP
OP
J

jessicarogers36

Country
That's exactly how I feel. One step forward then two back. Sleep in my bed finally got easier. I'm having that kind of day today I'm too sore to do anything.

patriciad

Country
@jessicarogers36
I was doing very well just 3 weeks out from my PKR and had great ROM and Flexion. All that changed after a single very aggressive Physio overworked my knee. Fortunately there was no damage to the prosthetic but huge inflammation to the surrounding soft tissues. The swelling and pain took me back to the first days post surgery and it has been a huge setback.
My surgeon brought me in for X-rays and exam and told me not to do any more outpatient therapy to just continue with the basic exercises at home and to increase my walking. It’s been a slow up and down recovery since but I’m gradually getting there. Please listen to the wise advice you’ll find on here and forget about Physiotherapists who are focused on numbers and not you as an individual. Knee Replacement Surgery is a major surgery and it really does take months to recover fully - I would say it was 10 months before my knee felt like my own after my first surgery. You are actually doing really great.

GZGirl22

Country
Well they are quoting desired outcomes but maybe your knee has been getting messed around and is fighting back by swelling. Bottom line is this: Even if they want to do a MUA, you have the right to say no, not yet. After all, if you do not make progress (and you do need to keep working at it the right way to get there) you can have the MUA later if need be but don't let them rush you into it.

Maybe find a different Therapist.

OP
OP
J

jessicarogers36

Country
I appreciate everyone's advice and telling me their experiences. It's so so helpful with settling down my fears and anxiety. I'm knocked knee both knees have been my whole life so now I have one knee straight and the other still inward. So I'm struggling a little getting used to that plus my right hip is not used to my knee being straight so I get a lot of hip pain. Especially when they are trying to force me to bend my knee when it can't yet. Which I've told them at. I also have DDD in my lower back. Being I have all that going on and tkr on right knee I think I'm doing amazing. It depresses me deeply having these issues because I'm only 38 and all these problems started years ago.

OP
OP
J

jessicarogers36

Country
I have a lot of nerve sensitivity down my shine it drives me crazy. Also on my inner thigh is tight and painful. My right hip is really struggling with my newly straighten knew. Just frustrating hoping my hip starts feeling better soon.

Jockette

Country
There is a lot of discomfort as our body adjusts to the new knee. It might be a bit more difficult for you for a while with one knee still knocked knee, I can’t remember if you mentioned plans to have that knee replaced, too?

OP
OP
J

jessicarogers36

Country
I do plan on it but not till it actually gives me pain. As of right now the left knee doesn't hurt me. Thank goodness.

patriciad

Country
That nerve pain is not pleasant at all but it’s part of the healing process. I have experienced it with both my knee replacements along with extreme scar sensitivity this 2nd time around. The zapping pain does ease off gradually and I wrap my joint in cling film, which although sounds crazy, works miracles for the scar sensitivity. This whole progress is not at all easy but thank goodness we have a place to talk and be totally understood. Hope the next few days are easier for you.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I want to see the surgeon I'm still scheduled to see the PA but I'm canceling that appointment and waiting to see the surgeon.
Yeah, they like to palm you off on the PA for some of the follow ups.

As others have said, if you have a lot of swelling it isn't going to bend no matter how much you try to force it. And forcing it can actually make it swell more!

I wasn't even at 70 at 2 weeks, I plateaued for a while due to swelling, but as the swelling started to go down, I started to gain. I hit 90 by 6 weeks and continued to gain. My recipe was lots of ice and elevation, a little walking, some heel slides and a little exercise bike to "loosen up." I also split the exercises over the course of the day.

The buckling will go away as the muscles heal. In the meantime, use your walking aid.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I have a lot of nerve sensitivity down my shine it drives me crazy. Also on my inner thigh is tight and painful. My right hip is really struggling with my newly straighten knew. Just frustrating hoping my hip starts feeling better soon.
It is true that some of the other aches can be just about as bad as the knee itself in the early days. :console2:

OP
OP
J

jessicarogers36

Country
Yesterday and today I have not been able to stay awake a long time. I'm awake for maybe an hour or so then I'm so exhausted I have to nap. I haven't had this since surgery.

OP
OP
J

jessicarogers36

Country
How do they give me a lift? It's definitely a height difference I can feel it but was told I would just get used to it.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Barbh1125
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom