Guest viewing is limited

THR Struggling after emergency THR

It was just a thought that I had. I'm glad to know that you tried it and now we know that doesn't work. There is nothing wrong with walking slowly! :walking:
 
@BlueSkiesHere -hang in there and slow is OKAY. I am just over 5 months & I am still having issues. I am still trying my hardest-every single day, and if I can’t do something-I just can’t. I have learned my limitations & do still try to push myself. I just a few weeks ago took my first bath, and that hurt!! But I am not giving up-every time I take a bath it is a little less painful. And it is ok to still be taking meds-I had to pop a couple of muscle relaxers & a few Tylenol this week. Saying all this, because we ALL heal at different paces-and you & I have had trauma along with it. Don’t be so hard on yourself, I know exactly how you feel bc you want to be better, I do too & im just not-but I do believe that in a few short months I will be. And you will be too, in the big scheme of things-we both are still early in recovery (it’s crazy to me). Hang in there!! We will get there.
 
@msart Thank you for the continued encouragement and support. You are the "little light" of hope just slightly ahead of me. I take extra strength Tylenol 3xs a day - I time it out to be taken during the day when I'm "kinda" more active. LOL. At night I don't take when I sleep. I do wake up at least once from throbbing but try to gently move a bit because I get really stiff lying in bed that long.
Congrats on the first bath! Just doing it impressed me. I wish I had muscle relaxers. :).
Thank all of you for my daly reminder...take it slow, it's ok. The body will heal.
I am sending you loads of good wishes for a full recovery, my friend.
 
If you feel this dosing schedule may be more beneficial -

We often recommend Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg, every six hours, but no more than 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. You must also calculate anything else containing Acetaminophen into the 4000 mg so you're not exceeding that amount.
@BlueSkiesHere
 
I’m so sorry to hear you’re having some challenges with your recovery. But I actually think you’ve shown great strength in addressing those hurtful comments and the fight to “do more” when you know that’s counterproductive. Bravo for you!!!

Just remember that these well-meaning people who love you have absolutely no frame of reference for what you’re experiencing. It’s just about impossible to get people who have not had joints replaced to really “get” what can go on in recovery. Actually, that’s why BoneSmart came into existence back in 2001 and why it has such a strong community to this day. Our community GETS IT and can truly relate to how you feel with the ups and downs that are recovery. I’m so glad you’ve trusted us to help and support you. And you WILL get through this! Promise! We’ll be here to help every step of the way.

We always tell people that everyone’s recovery is unique and that is a very true statement. Each body has its own quirks and maybe issues in other parts of the body that have over time caused certain compensations with the soft tissue. When a crackerjack surgeon comes along and immediately places a joint that was part of this compensation mechanism into correct alignment, the other parts have to scramble to deal with the new reality. It can be issues with other joints, especially the spine, that have to readjust or maybe just some poor posture habits that gradually developed. Sometimes improvement happens fairly quickly. But other times, especially if the compensation has gone on for a while, it can take quite a long time for things to start to improve to the point that you feel “normal” again. Your hip didn’t get to its pre-surgery condition overnight and getting things back to normal after surgery can take some time.

I suggest you try Layla’s suggestion of adding a nighttime dose of the Tylenol. Although it would seem you need the medication when you are active during the day, that may not be the case. When you sleep, you have long periods of inactivity which can cause muscles to tighten up. Most people find that after surgery they especially need something for pain at night. So, whether you take 3,000 or 4,000 mg of Tylenol each day for pain, time your doses so that you’re taking one right at bedtime. I think you’ll find you’re more comfortable that way.
 
@Layla and @Jamie Thank you so much! I have been taking the extra strength (2) every 6 hours but I will also take the advice of adding it at night right before bedtime. Because of the groin pain and the inner knee leg area tightening up at night, I have been waking up trying to "loosen" up the distress. It is an aching in the groin area and tightness in inner thigh or knee area. I'll add that nighttime dose in.
A quick update - I have been doing just as advised by you wise souls and just ADL, gentle stretches and walking a bit. I'm not able to put together long periods of walking but able to walk a bit now (around the house) without the inner sharp pain which totally made me unable to walk! Progress! Also I think this is also due to a light bulb that went off thanks to @Layla when she said the groin area might be from weakness (definitely) and my compensation in walking due to the pain. So three days ago, I really watched my gait and realized I was walking with my surgery right hip leg extended out unnaturally to the side more when I walked - kind of like a cowboy who has been riding a horse too long. (Slight exaggeration). However, I started walking with my right leg tucked in closer to my left - a more natural gait and (knock on wood) it relieved that inner sharp groin pull! I still feel weak on walking and not up to any extended walking because of hip ache and such. The psoas pain is still present but more of a discomfort and deep ache.
Thanks, ya'll! I see the Orthopedic after care PA on Thursday.
 
Your slight exaggeration made me chuckle. :heehee:
I still feel weak on walking and not up to any extended walking because of hip ache and such
Not surprising and understandable. Healing can take up to a year and the lingering aches are often from muscle weakness, inflammation, or your gait changing once again as your body adjusts to the new hip.
Good luck with your appointment on Thursday!
 
@BlueSkiesHere …. When taking some of your walks, you might try using your walker for support. I know you probably ditched it long ago, but that extra support as you concentrate on walking correctly should make it easier for you to walk with less pain and for a little longer distances.

It will be good to discuss all this with the Orthopedic PA this week. It may be that some targeted pressure point therapy would help you. Sometimes it takes a bit to find a therapist who is experienced in this treatment, but a good one can really loosen up tight and weak muscles so they can begin to function properly again.
 
@Jamie You are right I happily ditched that walker but if it will help me walk and correct my gait a bit...I have no problem getting it back out.
Depending on what the PA says - I will ask her about her if she knows someone who knows the targeted pressure point therapy. Thank you! One more question - do massage therapist do this pressure point therapy?
It's acting up again today. Boo.
 
@BlueSkiesHere I agree with @Jamie on both points: using an assistive device and pressure point therapy. If not the walker then a cane or a crutch. I had pressure point therapy on my non-op IP tendon. It was amazing how much it helped. Interestingly enough, it was done by a pelvic floor PT specialist. It really brings home the fact how much the hip/pelvic muscles do to support our lower bodies and our gaits. It is certainly worth a try to correct your gait and your pain. These things take time and patience to sort out. We humans are not very good at either. Lol. But it can happen. Hang in there. We'll be here for you.
 
@Hip4life - Thank you for the information! Yes, I'm finding out the hard way how important the hip/[pelvic muscles are. A lesson I will never forget. I will research the pressure point therapy. Another good source to ask would be my general practitioner. She is a wealth of information.
Thank you ladies for your support and sound wisdom.
Patience...that word again. :) I guess time takes time.
 
Agree to keep using assistive device so you can walk correctly. No shame in using a walker or cane. I had to use walker for much longer period than I had hoped.
And as far as walking you can break it up over the day, no need to do it all at once. My doctor told me do 10 minutes 3x's a day & not try 30 minutes all at once. I still break up my walks over course of the day & I'm up to 3-6 miles per day. Yesterday a little over 4.
 
@myglasshalffull - that is very helpful! Breaking up the walking time makes it much more doable as the continued walking right now is just not happening because of the forward walking action of that groin pain. I'll continue to rest the psaos muscle however breaking up the walking in small increments makes sense as the pain eases. Thank you!
Also to note: My PT had said to just try walking though the pain and "see what happens". Ugh. I like your doctor's practical advice better.
@Jamie - true dat on the patience!
 
@Hip4life - Thank you for the information! Yes, I'm finding out the hard way how important the hip/[pelvic muscles are. A lesson I will never forget. I will research the pressure point therapy. Another good source to ask would be my general practitioner. She is a wealth of information.
Thank you ladies for your support and sound wisdom.
Patience...that word again. :) I guess time takes time.
I've just booked a sports massage next week for my lower back (SI joint) where the therapist uses pressure point therapy. I'm hoping it loosens things up a bit. I've also booked hydrotherapy next week. I struggle doing physiotherapy where I have to stand on the operated leg so I'm hoping the water helps with this. I'll update how it goes.
 
@BlueSkiesHere
I want to comment on your post from Monday, when you explained how you walked: "Like a cowboy who had been riding a horse too long!" This is my identical story. I HATE using the cane. I had 2nd THR on Dec 10, and walked pretty well with my Walker. At about 7 weeks, I was encouraged to start to use the cane for a few minutes ONLY in the house. I tried to Increase the cane walk a few more minutes a day to hopefully improve.
I saw myself in full length mirror, and saw "the Cowboy" walk that I did was the same you described. My operated leg flew out sideways a lot. When I worked to bring leg back in, my left leg didn't like it!!! Now at 10 weeks post surgery, I still HATE the cane! I still love the walker
Now what do I do ??
 
2nd hippy
Continue using the walker if that's the device that helps you walk normally. No rush.
I was on walker at least 10 weeks. I had a small fracture discovered at 6 weeks post op & had to stay on walker & be 50% weight bearing or more surgery so you better believe that walker & resting were all that I did for next 4 weeks cause who wants more surgery if it can be avoided.
You will be ready for cane when your hip is ready.
 
@2nd Hippy - I feel your "pain" literally. When you say you can't tolerate it - I'm curious what area hurts on your other leg? I think I was compensating my cowboy walk to avoid that groin/inner thigh sharp pain. It was 11 weeks before I got off the cane. Even then - it was 10 steps without, then 20 steps...slowly building.
I understand your aversion to any assistive cane, walkers, etc. I do walk very slowly (and limited time) and practice the heel to toe gait and to stand correctly and straight. But due to the psoas muscle pain, my walking is limited. Use that walker as long as you need. I was on it to almost 3 months. I think my issue is the psoas muscle inflammation, strain, or whatever is going on there.
@Jamie I think has suggested I go back to an assistive device because of the psoas pain that is preventing me from using the muscle that prevents me from the forward walking motion causing pain. The forward motion after a few walking steps is a sharp pain on the inner thigh that results in my groin area aching. At which I will say...the walker, the cane and one crutch do not work for me. I've tried as suggested but it does not alleviate the weight bearing on the forward movement in walking. What I'm doing today is - I got out TWO crutches and when the muscle is acting up - I use the two crutches to kind of take some weight off so I can at least walk around the house. I'm doing a combination of walking unassisted and using the cruches to "rest" when I need to move around.
Fighting that depression again...that stuff will suck you down the drain!
 
@BlueSkiesHere … I’m sorry the walker idea didn’t work, but good for you for figuring out that two crutches would help some. Remind me, please…..are you seeing good therapist about this pain? And, if so, has the person done pressure point therapy for you?
 
@Jamie I was seeing a PT from December until recently - about 10 days ago when I stopped and made the appointment with the orthopedic after care PA due to the psoas pain and inability to walk extended periods of time without pain. The PT was aggressive for that area of pain and instead of improving, the symptoms got to the point (from the last appointment) that I could barely walk for 3 or 4 days after. I did have a home visit therapist when I first came home from the hospital (from the other state in which it happened) and that PT was doable and I seem to be making improvement. Once the outside PT came into the picture, the inner groin walking pain became worse and worse...until here I am.
I had numerous discussions about the inflammation or pain I was feeling in that area but she did not ever name it as psoas muscle or indicate it might come from that area. My last appointment with her - we sat for most of the time discussing the pain, where it is coming from and I still left that appointment - again unable to walk for 3 or 4 days.
Before all that I had a 10 or 11 day break from PT because I had bronchitis. Because of that time of rest and unable to do those repetitive exercises, I saw an improvement in my ability to walk. I even took a trip to the grocery store! I was slow but was able to do it. This made me think - the PT is too aggressive and not giving me time to heal.. I'm healing slow, I know.
She did do some type of hands on massaging of the area once - I'm not sure if it was pressure point therapy. It did offer some relief but when you go back to the same exercises that are irritating it...it doesn't last.
I see the After Care PA tomorrow and will see where we go from there. I do not want to return to that therapist because it concerns me she could not pinpoint the psoas muscle.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom