THR Struggling after emergency THR

@BlueSkiesHere I'm so pleased you found my story helpful. I know exactly what you mean when you say it's so hard to give up those exercises as it seemed to go against all the advice that I had received from everybody at that time. However, the advice I have gained from participation in this forum aligns itself far more to my own experience which is to take things easy and keep away from the aggressive rehab. It doesn't help if you have a problem. I think the biggest issue for me with the groin pain was I didn't know if it was going to get better as every medical person I consulted seemed to have no idea what was wrong so it was very scary. I was terrified that I was going to have to live with that sort of pain forever! I think ongoing significant pain does tend to make you catastrophize very easily. You will get better tho, a good idea to have the post op check you mentioned later in the month and ensure that you haven't ruptured anything but I suspect it would probably be a lot worse if you had. I had an ultrasound at one point and it came out clear so hopefully that is your experience too. Thank you for sharing about your knee experience, it's really very comforting to know. Please do keep us posted on how you're going and in the meantime I wish you all are very best and I hope the pain continues to diminish for you. :flwrysmile:
 
@Cillacat Thank you. I don't know if you know how much your postings and sharing are a life line for me right now. I'll keep posting updates for sure and a speedy and complete recovery for you, also!
 
Last edited:
So the hip surgery certainly does affect the knee and I found the ankle.
Remember that childhood song -
The ankle bone's connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone's connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone's connected to the hip bone.

There's nothing like a joint replacement recovery to prove that point. :wink:
Happy Wednesday! I hope the forecast today is BlueSkies and Sunshine! :SUNsmile:
 
Long post alert: I'm feeling really depressed and a bit hopeless last couple of days. Yesterday was a painful day and difficult to walk because of the forward motion from the psoas groin area and feeling of tightness down the inner thigh and into the knee area. It Is hard to know what to do since it feels tight and my past tendencies is to "DO' something about it.
The depression is from the night before that. We went out with some friends to a restaurant and because of the pain and tightness in the groin, I can't sit long so I have to get up and stand or walk a few steps so that I can walk out of the restaurant! I also walk very slow so as not to "catch" that sharp groin and inner thigh pain. So to say I'm not "normal" is an understatement. It is embarrassing to me but these are trusted friends.
At the end of the night and comments throughout of my having to stand or walk, the night ended with my good friend saying to me..."Do you think it will ever get better?" In which MY husband replied..."I don't think she will get any better." It has sent be reeling and spiraling down. I addressed them both in the moment that of course I will ...but it has it's claws in me. I also in private told my husband to NEVER say that to me again or to anyone around me. Words are powerful.
Because I'm without PT support and waiting to see the After Care practitioner, a part of me is trying to not to give up and remain positive. It has really scared me that my two closest allies believe that.
I'm doing my best to just rest, but gently walk, do ADL as I can and gentle stretches. I've stopped my recumbent/cross trainer cycle since I've read it contracts the psoas muscle. So I'm just waiting on all until I see the PA.
 
I'm really sorry you're going through this and feeling so down, BSH. :console2:
Four months is still early into the healing process. The soft tissue, muscles / tendons/ ligaments around the hip take time to fully recover. The groin pain may be from weak muscles trying to support the joint. Also, you may be favoring, or compensating in protection of your right leg and straining muscles, leading to discomfort or pain.
Hopefully you can hang in there and learn more through your appointment next week, receiving some reassurance and advice on how to resolve the issue without unnecessary and painful therapy sessions.

I am sorry for the dialogue that transpired between you, your friend and husband. I understand it was hurtful, leaving you feeling defeated. It's difficult to hear unsupportive words from those you love as you're struggling with your recovery. I am sure they didn't mean to hurt you. Please understand that their words, do not define your future. Recovery is unique to each of us and set-backs, or stalls along the way DO NOT mean you won't improve. Don't let their doubt become your truth. You're right, "words are powerful" so speak your own words to yourself and don't let their's cloud your mind with negativity and color your mood. Kindly express to your husband that you prefer he only speak encouraging words, to you, and in front of you, until you're feeling stronger and enjoying steady progress.

You may be healing more slowly than you hoped for, but that doesn't mean that progress isn't happening. Each step along the way, no matter how small is a victory and worth celebrating. This recovery biz can be tough, but you are not defeated and still have time to heal more than you think. Hold onto that!
May today be a peaceful one for you! Hugs :friends: :SUNsmile:
@BlueSkiesHere
 
@Layla ...taking it all in, breathing deeply and accepting your beautiful wisdom and support. I think I might keep returning to this post throughout the day. I'll stay with the support and be mindful of my mind supporting me.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
 
Hello there :loveshwr:
Of course you will get better.
You only had surgery in Oct, it's still very early days.
I'm doing my best to just rest, but gently walk, do ADL as I can and gentle stretches. I've stopped my recumbent/cross trainer cycle since I've read it contracts the psoas muscle.
Your plan above is perfect.
I had a THR in Nov 2024 and I only walked and felt fantastic.
I went into the office for the first time this week and walked up and down 2 flights of steps and the pain I have has set me back a month and my husband noticed that I am limping.
I will be fine (I will use the elevator from now on) but my point is that the more we do, the more we experience set backs.
Please just take it easy and trust that you will indeed come through this and will prove those nay sayers wrong!
 
Last edited:
@Morgan Le Fay Thank you for your continued encouragement and OBVIOUS experience which really holds weight with me. Yep - those steps would do it and it is so easy to set oneself back! I also love your sense of self forgiveness. No big deal...just back off again.
It is amazing how difficult it is for me to just not do exercises! A constant reminding myself. I do find that as I watch myself just do my ADL - it uses all of those muscles that PT so aggressively tells you to do in an insane repetitious way. You and @Layla have definitely pulled me out of the dumps today.
 
@Morgan Le Fay Thank you for your continued encouragement and OBVIOUS experience which really holds weight with me. Yep - those steps would do it and it is so easy to set oneself back! I also love your sense of self forgiveness. No big deal...just back off again.
It is amazing how difficult it is for me to just not do exercises! A constant reminding myself. I do find that as I watch myself just do my ADL - it uses all of those muscles that PT so aggressively tells you to do in an insane repetitious way. You and @Layla have definitely pulled me out of the dumps today.
I think you are right to not do exercises if the soft tissue around your hip is suffering. I've had two hip replacements & on both occasions the prescribed physio was different, with my recent replacement having much more intensive physiotherapy. On reflection I believe this intense regime did me more harm than good, primarily because the soft tissue (muscles/tendons etc) were not sufficiently recovered to cope. As a result my recovery has significantly slowed down. That said, I am confident I will eventually recover, I just need to listen to my body and advocate for any issues that arise.

Keeping up appearances for friends and family can also be exhausting because they want us to get better (as do we!) But it will happen when it happens. This doesn't mean giving up. But doing what is best for you. And that also means allowing ourselves to feel sad sometimes, as well as recognising small wins when they come along.
 
Oh @BlueSkiesHere ... my heart goes out to you as I have been where you are with the awful seemingly endless groin pain as I have described in my previous post to you when I had the RTHR last year. At four months I could hardly walk and found sitting very difficult and was still taking opiate (Tramadol) pain relief. My greatest fear, and it was really suffocating terror at times, was that I wouldn't recover. It must have been so demoralising to hear your husband and friend make the comments that they did. But I DID recover and I recovered completely but it was a good 6-7 months post surgery before I could move with any ease and that was only well after I had stopped all the aggressive physio exercises. I totally agree with what others are saying about this.... and it is okay to feel sad and scared sometimes too, it is part of the journey. You will get better in time ... please keep on sharing how you are going as I think it helps to speak to people who understand. Big hugs to you :loveshwr:
 
Wow, I'm so sorry you had to hear that. I'm not defending your husband here, believe me, but I sometimes think our caretakers get frustrated as well as we do. So many folks hear these remarkable recovery stories of people after 3 weeks out skiing again...maybe, but I doubt it. Furthermore I think hip replacement has become so common place now it's not given the attention it needs for recovery time. And we all recover differently & at different times but we all share similar stories. So that's why this site is a godsend to all of us recovering because we've been exactly where you are.
I've been very fortunate to have a supportive partner & it does make a big difference in your recovery because I think we tend to try & "rush" recovery for them.
Especially since they have no idea what you are feeling & didn't have the surgery so it's easy to make judgments.
Depression is normal. I had many crying jags in early months from frustration of not being able to do simple chores around the house. I'm a neat freak & my partner did a great job helping but I'm a little OCD on how the bed is made, bathroom cleaned, etc.
I was on a walker much longer than I wanted to be & I couldn't sit for long periods of time either. I couldn't even sit on my couch cause it's just too low & soft but we have small apartment downstairs & I could lay on that couch & watch TV down there so that was my first year of recovery.
It's easy to say hang in there but please know that these aches & pains do come & go. I wish you well & keep coming here for the support you need.
 
@Annekin - oh my. Thank you for your encouraging words. A hard lesson to learn on this aggressive PT and trusting the body to heal on its own.
@myglasshalffull I think my husband I regrets his misstep in words the other night. I got QUITE the Valentines gifts this year and a very positive statement today from him - "think happy thoughts."
 
Last edited:
@Cillacat - THANK you. Wow. Ya'll are giving me gems this morning. I am just drinking this in and it really does help coming and hearing all of your experiences and support in recovery. Man...@Cillacat...you have perfectly described where I am right now. It is SO scary however you give me so much hope and the ability and patience to just stop and let it rest. I can take it slow if I know it has worked.
I definitely will keep the updates coming. I quite interested to hear what the After Care PA says.
Happy Valentines to all of you! This forum and support group are so valuable.
 
Last edited:
My goodness, but you have been through the ringer. I know that you know your still healing, but with that healing comes emotions also. Dare I say none of us want someone to feel sorry for us, much less our husband and friends. But that's in the past. I'm certain your friend didn't mean the comment to sound hurtful, but clearly she's never had a recovery like you have. I'd chalk her comment up to her not understanding your situation. That's on her, not you.

Let me toss an idea out. You've probably thought of it already. How about using a cane. Not forever, just until your more recovered and walking more steadily. I suggest it because it will force you to stand upright when walking, take smaller equal sized steps on both feet and most importantly give you some stability when walking. No one hates using a cane as much as I do, but when I give in and use it, goodness it certainly makes a difference. I have those canes that have 'personalities,' you know, flowers, stripes, etc. I felt awful using a black cane, but my attitude using my sunflower cane is 100% better. I have a cane in the car, the kitchen, my closet and beside my desk. As my very wise surgeon said: would you rather fall or look fabulous with a cane? The cane is just something mentally to help you in the short term. Think it over. (And if PT told you to not use it, remember your not listening or attending to PT anymore!) Look at it as a Band-Aid of sort, for a short while.

I'm glad your husband realizes this big mistake, you deserve a big Valentine's.
 
@eaglemom I know it sounds strange but the cane makes the pain worse. I went back to trying the cane and it actually knocks me out of alignment more. I stand up straighter and walk heel to toe better without the cane. I even have tried crutches but the crutches seem to pull at the groin area which is so tender so I put them down. Even though that forward motion of the right walking leg hurts, I find my balance and stance are better unassisted. So right now..I'm walking, very, very, very slow and limiting the time right before it hurts too bad. I really focus on trying not to limp or hitch the hip and keep the gait as smooth as I can. Let's just say I'm not taking any walks in the park. I appreciate all suggestions though!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom