Guest viewing is limited

THR Struggling after emergency THR

You had the wrong therapist for sure. Pressure point therapy does not hurt. It involves the therapist gently probing muscles to locate tight areas (they actually feel the bump of tight muscle fibers). Then they use fingers to push on that area for a minute or so until they feel the fibers release. Muscles can have multiple areas like this. Once they are released, you should feel a little looser and better. The problem is that one release usually doesn’t completely fix the problem. The muscles will go back to that tightness in anywhere from hours to a few days. Then they pressure point therapy has to be repeated. In my case with tight quad muscles, I saw my therapist 2 times a week for these treatments for several months. Things improved, but it was slow. Gradually over time it was longer and longer between the pressure release and a retightening. But it did work. Toward the end my therapist showed me how to find the tight spots and I was able to do the release myself at home. It was like magic to me. Search for another therapist that is well equipped to do this kind of treatment for you.
 
So I had my appointment with the Orthopedic After Care PA. This will surprise you...it did me. After going through the symptoms and the PT "nightmare". She said that you don't usually hear this from me but stop all PT. Don't do any exercises at all. Just light chores around the house (sound familiar?), light walking as tolerated, take very slow, smaller steps. Walk as if you are leisurely walking with no where to be.
I did not mention this forum or advice to her AT ALL!
She said just like an athlete rests when they are injured so do you. It takes time.
She said we don't know what it is so this is what we will find out. My X-rays today were perfect today so the symptoms I describe indicates a muscle inflammation/irritation and the fact it is getting worse with PT it sounds like the abductor muscle. She is talking with the surgeon to make sure she is in line with his thinking and going to order a CTI to rule out any fracture that could have happened or any bony protrusions. (I'm not sure what that is).
She prescribed a 10 day prednisone since I cannot take any anti-flammatory pills (like Advil). I have a follow up appointment with her in 5 weeks unless they find something on the CTI scan or the Orthopedic surgeon wants to try something else.
Her prescription for now... NO EXERCISE! NO PT! ADL and the balance between moving too much and not moving enough. She said don't sit too long and don't walk too much.
This is all that you guys have advised but it was very nice to have a medical person on board with the system. It has lifted the depression quite a bit today. I have a specific plan of action (or inaction) and a plan in moving forward to seeing what this is.
 
That's a great plan of action, or rather plan of inaction! Some of us heal at a snails pace or slower, I'm one of them. But, once healed I'm done. Walk about the house and I'm betting ever so slowly you'll see improvement all the way around.
 
This is all that you guys have advised but it was very nice to have a medical person on board with the system.
Good to hear! I am happy for you!
We may have some replacement parts, but we're fully functional when it comes to sharing sound advice. :heehee: :wink:
You have our blessings to share the forum with anyone that will listen. :wave:
A great weekend to you, BlueSkies!
 
I’m so glad your PA was honest with you and supported the philosophy we’ve seen work here for decades. It also sounds like they are taking a proactive look to make sure there is nothing other than soft tissue issues to worry about. We have always taken this approach because the surgeons who are our consultants recommend this approach to hip replacements recovery.

About the “bony growth” comment…..sometimes with hip replacements bone can grow after surgery in places where it’s not suppose to be. It’s called heterotopic ossification. I’m glad they are checking for that, but hopefully that’s not an issue and it’s just a matter of soft tissue inflammation.

It will be great to hear how you progress with your modified activity schedule. :yahoo:
 
@Jamie Thank you for your support. Here is an update on the CT scan. The orthopedic surgeon says there is no indication for the scan at this time. It appears they are prescribing the 5 week period of rest and me not doing PT, no exercises and light stretches to see if the inflammation gets better. Along with the prednisone for 10 days.

An update to the update as of now - I just went to the nurse practitioner who gives me a cortisone shot in my left knee (when needed) that has osteoarthritis. He was asking about the slow walking and difficulty I was having since the partial hip replacement. I caught him up to date and what Erin (the After Care PA) has told me to do and he just proceeded to give me his opinion (without seeing my X-rays) that I HAVE to do PT and I have to do some some light motion exercises...blah,blah,blah...unbelievable. All the things that probably got me in this kettle of mess! He even counted the months until I was available for THR! He said that would be the end result of this. Oh my...my head did not need to hear this. Now the After Care PA works in surgery with the orthopedic surgeon and this nurse practitioner hasn't even seen my x-rays or been in any contact to my records on this. If I listen to him - I'm just waiting in pain with no solution until October to have another hip replacement! What?

This depression is an energy suck. I am having difficulty being patient with the healing and it is very difficult for me to be so inactive. I feel sedentary. It is a terrible feeling and that grip of fear that this will not get better. I am trying to make a small manageable goals for the week so that I can feel I am moving forward a bit but also trying to accept - time takes time.
 
Last edited:
He’s right that you need to do gentle motions each day to keep the joint mobile. But, that’s not “therapy” like I’m sure he was trying to talk you into. I’m sorry you had to go through that with him. Just focus on the plan the surgeon has for you and ignore his unsolicited advice. Don’t try to think too far in the future about “what ifs.” Take one day at a time. It may help to journal how you’re doing every day or two so you can look back at the end of a week or longer to check progress. It may be slow in improving and that journal can better document your successes than trying to remember how you felt at any given time during the process. Hang in there…..we’re here for you!!
 
@BlueSkiesHere -im so sorry you are going through all of this. I completely understand your frustration of being sedentary-it goes against everything we know. And for whatever reason-we/I know I couldn’t-get my head wrapped around that logic. It’s crazy-I know. I tried just doing little tasks-every week-that I could at least say I accomplished, in my mind. It was almost as if-I checked a box off or something. It is so hard to be patient-hang in there. Sending you positive healing thoughts!! :curtsey:
 
One thing I have learned from a few many-months-long enforced sedentary periods when considerably younger (bad case of mono, recovery from abdominal surgery, ACL recovery) is that the best therapy, at least for me, is to find an indoor seated project - and even better if it was something brand new to me.

Could be a craft, a hobby, a learning adventure (so many free online classes from universities and non profits!), a deep dive into researching something that catches your fancy.
 
It's definitely a patience game & not too many of us enjoy it but we end up learning to embrace the challenges of recovery & celebrate the small victories along the way.
All my best.
 
@msart , @mendogal and @myglasshalffull ...thank you for your understanding, encouragement and sound suggestions.
Yes, sedentary is not my cup of tea . I am a landscape photographer and lover of macro photography - hence me having that fall alone on a roadtrip to the mountains. So I'm not exactly able to walk around nor bend over enough for my blooming daffodils right now. It is not only a feeling of temporary loss of independence right now - but a temporary loss of something I dearly love and do everyday. I do have LOTS of bird pictures from my windows though! LOL.
I definitely will look for a creative way to entertain myself with something new or even with my photography, I can drive around (thank God!) and point my camera out the window and take some photos. Maybe not up to my "standards" but I would still enjoy that and be a step in the direction of small goals met.
I will definitely look for something new and creative to brighten myself up. Excellent idea!
xoxoxo
 
Perhaps you might consider starting a blog or website that showcases some of your photography. Maybe do some online research for trips later in the year when you’re up to them. Or think about preparing a lesson plan for a class in photography to teach at a local junior college or senior program. Lots of cities now sponsor these types of classes as part of their parks programs.

Just some ideas you can consider. You know your interests, so you’ll probably be able to come up with other ideas as well.
 
I am from Australia. I was in Italy with my family on a once in a lifetime European holiday. I tripped on a concealed step and crashed down onto a marble floor. I too am struggling to cope mentally with the accident, the life changing surgery, the nasty hospital experience, and the loss of what is likely to have been our last holiday as a family as our kids are now young adults.

A THR is significant trauma let alone an unexpected one due to an injury, and while on holiday as well. I feel for you and I completely understand.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bits, I also had emergency surgery on vacation 3 years ago & totally understand what you are going through. I went from active 70 year old to depressed & hurting until I found this wonderful site.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
blueskies,
Here in Northeast we don't see our daffodils until mid April but there's a field of them where I used to live & walk my dogs, there are literally thousands of them & I never miss a year to drive over there stop & get out to take a photo. Even during my recovery 3 years ago my partner drove me there so I could see them. It's such a rite of passage from our grey cold winters into Spring.
 
@bits - oh my! Not to be insensitive but it can always be worse! My experience was traumatic alone however yours was magnified ten-fold! I HIGHLY recommend this forum and creating your own account. The support, wisdom from experience and understanding is (to me) invaluable in these very early days for you....and for me .... the ongoing process of healing. It certainly takes time! Depression and trauma are real. However, it is so important to feel the feelings and find a place of belief in yourself and healing of the body. OH my...I so understand the grief of the change in circumstances. However, I believe it looks very bleak right now but as healing happens - both physically and mentally... you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. For now - be where you are.
If you start your own thread...I will follow you and we can travel this together!
 
Last edited:
@Jamie - you and I are in sync! In fact, I do have a website and am a bit active on social media so yesterday I updated my social media with some images and another forum had asked me to be the artist of the month. I agreed to do that for the month of March and it is a very good way for me to go back to the year past at this time and share images of this season one year back! I did find it revived me a bit. In fact...I planned a short roadtrip in the fall. I booked the hotel yesterday! :). See! We are in sync!
I have to remind myself - this is temporary! I am healing. My body has its own time table and I can be my own best friend and support ME in the process. I need to tune out the naysayers.
 
@myglasshalffull ... I'm in the southeast so our lenten rose blooms in late January and our daffodils start in February. A welcome sign of spring. Yes, the car is quite handy and I"m so glad I can drive and ride comfortably, though not long distance yet.
 
@Jamie Thank you for your support. Here is an update on the CT scan. The orthopedic surgeon says there is no indication for the scan at this time. It appears they are prescribing the 5 week period of rest and me not doing PT, no exercises and light stretches to see if the inflammation gets better. Along with the prednisone for 10 days.

An update to the update as of now - I just went to the nurse practitioner who gives me a cortisone shot in my left knee (when needed) that has osteoarthritis. He was asking about the slow walking and difficulty I was having since the partial hip replacement. I caught him up to date and what Erin (the After Care PA) has told me to do and he just proceeded to give me his opinion (without seeing my X-rays) that I HAVE to do PT and I have to do some some light motion exercises...blah,blah,blah...unbelievable. All the things that probably got me in this kettle of mess! He even counted the months until I was available for THR! He said that would be the end result of this. Oh my...my head did not need to hear this. Now the After Care PA works in surgery with the orthopedic surgeon and this nurse practitioner hasn't even seen my x-rays or been in any contact to my records on this. If I listen to him - I'm just waiting in pain with no solution until October to have another hip replacement! What?

This depression is an energy suck. I am having difficulty being patient with the healing and it is very difficult for me to be so inactive. I feel sedentary. It is a terrible feeling and that grip of fear that this will not get better. I am trying to make a small manageable goals for the week so that I can feel I am moving forward a bit but also trying to accept - time takes time.

I can absolutely understand your frustration. I have had conflicting advice about the mobility issues (muscles/tendons) that developed after the operation. Should I do PT or not do PT. Have I done too much or not enough. Are these the correct exercises or not?! I've had three physio and they all gave me different exercises! I also dislike staying still, and when I feel better I often overdo things and set myself back. But resting is so boring and I feel like I've been resting for years! I also caught a cold last week so had to cancel a massage and hydrotherapy this week to give me time to recover. This does affect my mood because I like to have goals, & at the moment I feel blah. But at least Spring is on the way!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow….we are sisters from another mother!! I love how you took charge of your emotions and accomplished some things that lifted your spirits. Bravo for you!!!!! There WILL be blue skies ahead for you with this change in how you are approaching your recovery.

You know…..as a member of the Insiders Club, you can go to our BoneSmart Community area and start one or more threads in the Social Room. I can promise you that your fellow BoneSmarties who are Insiders would enjoy seeing some of your images and knowing a bit about your travels. You can link whatever posts you create here in your recovery thread so people know to go there and look. We’ve had a number of folks do this and it’s wonderful to see the beautiful artwork, crafts, or photographs.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom