Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

So happy for you Sonja. You've come so far after going through so much. When ever I have questions come to mind about a revision, I stop into your thread. I sure hope that I can say that I can go up and down stairs and OMG standing up from 12 inches high, that is awesome!
 
Yes, Jamie that is correct! Abby is a personal trainer who has had several clients w knee replacements. She knows what to do, how to motivate, and she brings out the "old" athlete in me! :happydance: She knows I am competitive; so she is sneaky :heehee: , she sets up obstacle courses that have me moving at a brisk pace, forwards, sideways, backwards, and sideways again. Then to the rowing machine! I now know that my feet DO touch my butt! :rotfl: She turns a game on and says "don't get eaten by the big fish!" You should see me move! :wink: Then she coyly asks "do you need help getting up? I am thinking YES but instead my legs "spring to life and I am up like a bunny! :yay: From 12 inches off the floor and Abby says I was testing you, I knew you didn't need me! Today we did something I have not done since college! Assisted pull-ups. In some gyms, they have where you can take half your body weight off and kneel on the platform and pull yourself up! Well, not only did I do it once but I did 3 sets of 15 and after all was said and done went to the doctor.

I have pneumonia, but what an accomplishment! Nothing was stopping me! Life is grand! :happydance:
 
Oh my goodness! I didn't even think about the kneeling while I was on the platform today! :egypdance: As I said; Abby is a rascal! :wink: :rotfl:

She had casually mentioned pull-ups, and I thought, well that will be neat to see someone doing them! :heehee: I just didn't realize at the time that someone was me! :whistle: :rotfl:
 
So happy for you Sonja. You've come so far after going through so much. When ever I have questions come to mind about a revision, I stop into your thread. I sure hope that I can say that I can go up and down stairs and OMG standing up from 12 inches high, that is awesome!

Thanks Bonnie!

Abby has me believing in my knee and myself more every time I work out with her! She always finds new ways to challenge me, but she watches my face for any sign of pain. Ex-athletes still have that push through it mentality and I am no different! She was watching closely yesterday when I was doing extensions and I said the weight was fine and she lowered it. She has figured me out! :scary:

Dr. Maale will be on cloud 9! Abby told me it still needs strengthening, so if he mentions more PT, I have already talked to the Physical Therapy Side of the place opposite the gym where Abby is, and I will finish there. I am of the mind I can just keep on keeping on with Abby, use the Alter-G at T-Star for free (special deal) and life will be great! :happydance:
 
RestAssured Sonja, I sure know what you mean about wanting to press on. I am still doing leg strengthening 3 days a week. My Physical Therapy has a list from my new doctor of what I can and cannot do. So I can do leg press but won't let me go past 20 pounds. I was supposed to push up with two legs and lower with one leg...it was too easy, so when they weren't looking I just did single leg, leg press and I could feel my muscle working. I was sneaking around!
 
Do they use the Russian stem at first to get the muscle going? That was one of the biggest helps I had in PT. it targets a specific set of muscles, and you contract while it is pulsing relax when it is in the rest cycle. :happydance:
 
Do they use the Russian stem at first to get the muscle going? That was one of the biggest helps I had in PT. it targets a specific set of muscles, and you contract while it is pulsing relax when it is in the rest cycle. :happydance:

Yes Sonja they do. Before we start any leg work I get the Russian Stem, covered by a nice blanket of heat. Once the muscle has awakened and it is nice and warm we start we ankle weights and straight leg raises and go from there.
 
Well, I survived my spell of pneumonia and hit the gym again today! Abby had a new "treat" in store for me! The spin bike! If you haven't heard of one look up spinning classes, and you will see the bike! Abby had me at 0 resistance at first, and I thought "hey" this isn't too bad! Well then she said stand up and pedal. Now that was harder. Then I did 5 series of sprints followed by rest periods of going slow. Abby turned up the resistance, because I was moving too much! :whistle: :heehee:
 
Is a spin bike different than a regular exercycle???
 
Yes Jamie. They use it for "cycling fanatics!" I didn't know I was one, but Abby said it won't be long before you are ready for the hour long class! :scare: :rotfl:
[Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
 
That is so wonderful Sonja, I am so happy for you. I am hoping that one day I can tell you that I did the same.

Just waiting now, revision 3 weeks from yesterday. Getting depressed.
 
That is so wonderful Sonja, I am so happy for you. I am hoping that one day I can tell you that I did the same.

Just waiting now, revision 3 weeks from yesterday. Getting depressed.

Bonnie,

Just stay positive! The revision will be the answer you are looking for towards a new life! Who would have ever thought I would be doing Zumba, spin cycling, rowing, getting up from 12 inches with leg strength only? :happydance:

My personal trainer Abby that's who! She is taking me out of my comfort zone little by little but is the kindest person you could want in a trainer! She cares deeply and it shows, making you want to do your best!
 
Hi Sonja,
I would have thought that all the things Abby has you dong are strengthening you knee heaps, without you needing to go to PT!
 
Bonnie,

Just stay positive! The revision will be the answer you are looking for towards a new life! Who would have ever thought I would be doing Zumba, spin cycling, rowing, getting up from 12 inches with leg strength only? :happydance:

Thank you Sonja. I am looking forward to my surgery so hopefully I can be somewhat normal. I am so tired of being on the sideline. But at the same time I know the misery that I am going to go through. I worry if I am going to be disappointed again after 4 surgeries on this knee. I worry that what if my husband got sick again while I was incapasited. I feel overwhelmed worrying about getting everything done Thanksgiving/Christmas before December 2. I've had a lot of trouble getting motivated when I know a have so much to do. I cry at the drop of a hat!

On a lighter note, right this minute November 12 my Mom is on an airplane coming to visit me. I have not seen her for over two years. Her birthday is tomorrow the 13th and she will be 90 years young!
 
Bonnie,

Don't worry about the what if's for they may never happen! Live each day to the best you can, do what you can do, not what you THINK you should be doing! It takes time, but I know that you will have success this time! Mine took a year and a half! But, oh my in 4 weeks Abby has me on cloud 9! She had me balancing as long as I could first on one leg then the other! When I had the wall as a crutch, it was more difficult! When I relied on myself, I got better with each set! Of course, Abby is standing right there ready to help me catch my balance but I didn't need help! :happydance: I will post some pictures of wall squats that I did with a ball behind my back this afternoon! They are getting easy! :happydance:
 
Hi Sonja,
I would have thought that all the things Abby has you dong are strengthening you knee heaps, without you needing to go to PT!

Oh, I am not going to PT anymore! Abby is a lot better at sensing my needs and being responsive to my knee than they were. I went one time last week, and after being ignored for most of my session, me doing it myself; I decided to stop PT. If Dr. Maale still wants PT, after I explain all the things Awesome Abby has me doing, then Abby suggested that I switch to the PT inside of the gym. I don't think he will though! I am practically glowing! :happydance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
Today's challenge was standing on one leg and balancing for as long as I could! Wall squats are getting easy! They were hard 4 weeks ago! :happydance:
 
Ok, report from Dr. Maale's office! :happydance:

I will be moving my PT to the same building that Abby works in! They were so impressed with Abby, and wanted a PT to work with me instead of aides like I had before! This will last 2 months or less, depending on what this PT thinks I need! :ok:

I got my x-rays today, and when I get home I will upload them! The kneecap is in perfect alignment! :yahoo:
 
Congratulations - you work so hard! I am looking for a pt now and hope I can find my Abby. You really are inspiring to us Sonja. I wonder how you find the time to do all that you do. We are blessed to have you on this forum!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Back
Top Bottom