TKR Still working on ROM

I am still stunned at how I was received! Doc said he feels my setbacks are understandable and that I should keep working at making progress in PT. He’s letting me try a muscle relaxer because my hips are tight & restricting. He is ordering a dyna splint for between PT sessions. I almost cried from relief and disbelief. He did explain that I should have an MUA if I don’t make progress in a month! Thanks again for supporting me through scary process! Hubs came with me and that helped me so much!
Love to you all! :)
 
You must be so relieved It's amazing how we sometimes make ourselves worry needlessly, isn't it?

Happy for you.
 
Omg I’m famous for this medical freak out. It stems from medical trauma I suffered in the 1980’s. I have little trust in the medical system and especially doctors. Although I’ve also had good experiences and excellent help from good docs and nurses at NIH-they straightened out misdiagnosis and saved my life.
I’m relieved and curious about what the dynamic splinting is. I know a little and hope it’s helpful! Spilled my guts here today, sorry
 
I’m glad your doctor was understanding.

If you stay with PT, be very careful with what you consent to do. Don’t allow any forcing.

I suggest you use the search bar, above right, to search for threads with mentions of dyna splints. That will give you a good idea about real user’s experiences.
 
I’ll probably stay as I believe he talked to the surgeon about my situation prior to my appointment.
 
Most of our members have not been fans of the Dyna Splint or other knee splints. They can be uncomfortable to wear for any length of time. So you may not be a fan. I’d be surprised if it makes the difference for you in gaining ROM with your knee. Some people are just slower at recovery than others. Past events with knees can make a difference as can health issues like COVID or other illnesses that sap your healing strength.

I am glad your doctor had a different approach this time. I have to wonder if it was the presence of your dear hubby at the appointment. I’d go with that thought and take him each time you meet with the doctors.

It is reasonable of him to say if you haven’t made any improvements in a month in your ROM that an MUA might be considered. But, keep working to gently bend and stretch that knee with a variety of exercises and movements and you should begin to see some progress. If you have access to an exercise bike, that is a great way to gently move your knee.

Be sure to keep pain minimized with whatever is needed (Tylenol or prescription pain meds if needed at times) and make sure whatever you’re taking is on a schedule. Don’t wait for pain or swelling to occur before you take something. You want the medicine available in your system at all times. If you are experiencing swelling and pain, you can use an NSAID along with the Tylenol and it should help. Of course icing and elevation are needed as well.

Don’t ever feel like you’re imposing on us by “spilling your guts.” That’s exactly why we’re here! We want to hear all the details so we can better help and support you. So…..spill away. Sending ((((HUGS)))).
 
Thanks i wish I’d known more about dynasplint before the appointment I’d have declined it! Yes! I think my husband’s
presence made a difference! Unfortunately! I’m very vulnerable atm! I may re-up for bonesmart for another few months. My PT is so expensive and I only have to pay a copay, so I’m watching spending more these day! Copay is much higher than it used to be a few years back!
 
Unfortunately! I’m very vulnerable atm!
I think most of us are very vulnerable at this stage, I know I was. This surgery and recovery are huge and most of us were not adequately prepared for the recovery, often giving us unrealistic expectations.

Hang out here with us, Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support, by others who have been through what you’re going through.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!
 
One way I was able to help my bend after my patellectomy was to get into a tub with hot water, (of course, not painfully hot!), and slide my butt back and forth while sitting. When I went forward toward my feet, I'd naturally bend my knees. As I slid back, I was able to put my knees back into that nice hot water. This loosened my knee up quite a bit. During the day, my bend would decrease because of the activity I was doing was causing swelling, but knowing how far my knee would bend in that tub, let me know I didn't have adhesions and that I'd eventually get to that tub bend without having to be sitting in the hot water!
 
Good morning Flashcat,
What wonderful news that your appointment went way better than expected. I'm sorry for the anxiety you dealt with beforehand. Now you can breathe a sigh of relief. :yes!:Thankfully hubs accompanied you for support.

I wish you continued healing, strength and progress. At only 3.5 months post op, you still have time to improve. We look forward to offering advice when you're feeling stuck, encouragement when you're feeling down and cheerful positivity when needed to brighten your days. May today be a great day! :SUNsmile:
@Flashcat
 
One way I was able to help my bend after my patellectomy was to get into a tub with hot water, (of course, not painfully hot!), and slide my butt back and forth while sitting. When I went forward toward my feet, I'd naturally bend my knees. As I slid back, I was able to put my knees back into that nice hot water. This loosened my knee up quite a bit. During the day, my bend would decrease because of the activity I was doing was causing swelling, but knowing how far my knee would bend in that tub, let me know I didn't have adhesions and that I'd eventually get to that tub bend without having to be sitting in the hot water!

I haven’t done tub work due to the poor healing of the infection. Doc says it is healed enough but it’s not as healed as it should imho! I’m using hot compresses atm!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all!
Insurance has limited my PT to 6 sessions but they don’t mind an MUA!!(I’m honestly not sure about that, just being grouchy!) doubt they’ll approve the dynamic splint. Although the surgeon requested that, so maybe? I should change my call sign to “Jaded.” Anyway I’m going to go in the hot tub today! I think I’m ready! Yesterday I joined the YMCA! I ordered silicone covers for the knee just in case. I hope to walk in the walk lane and swim some too! I’ll work up to aerobics and some exercise classes.
 
I know you understand, but please remain mindful while at the Y that any movement in water can easily lead to over activity, because you are weightless in water so movement seems easier.
Go slow, easy, and enjoy, Flashcat!
@Flashcat
 
Thank you!I actually had not considered that! It’s been years since I’ve been a real pool.
 
Welcome, welcome to the club @Flashcat .:meow:

Congratulations on tackling your TKR.

It’s so good that you found BoneSmart (and that it exists). :happyfeet:

They have given me a whole other way to consider healing.

I had been in Facebook groups preop, postop tkr groups before. In 2022 that helped especially before I learned about BS, when I couldn’t sleep and there was “emotional” stuff going on. Wow. (actually BoneSmart was mentioned by someone in one of those groups and that’s how I was fortunate enough to be connected here.)

And just when I think I’m all set and “know” what to expect or how/why I might be feeling a certain way (physical, psychological, existential!)

… something new arises throughout the tkr recovery d phases (Day 1, 2, 3…Weeks 2, 3…7…Month 3, 4, 7, 11. Year 1, Year 2),

Happily (& sometimes frantically) leading me back to BoneSmart for support.

I’m so glad you’re here. We are all here. And we can all learn together.

Krista :yahoo:
 
Thanks for all the kind words, Krista1220 …. We love to hear how our members have benefited from the work we do here at BoneSmart. Your post illustrates what we tell people frequently - that each recovery is unique and it can be both complex and challenging at times.
 
Last edited:
Good for you! I’ve had a very traumatic past with the medical world and it all flooded back during this experience. You’d think my past would empower me to stand firm for myself even more, which it really had done, until this. Being 73 and so completely dependent on others has played into this situation. Even at home I feel vulnerable and misunderstood way more than is healthy. I know my husband is tired of caregiving and I understand that! Thank you all for more support than I’ve had in my knee journey thus far!
Ooh, I’m so sorry about the past medical trauma being reactivated. Yep! This will do it.

I realize that’s my resistance toward PT as well. Judgment that ties to early childhood trauma that was reactivated. People pleasing behavior. I mean I’m a 57-year-old woman and I’m concerned about what a stranger thinks about my ROM.

Typically, I’d be way more confident, competent adult “like”… but I realize that I feel sheepish & like wanting to please the “teacher” when I go to
PT… uggh. Like an inadequate child. And I don’t believe it has to do with the PT. He’s a lovely fellow. Well educated I just don’t like being in this position. I know it’s about things that I still need to work on. AFTER THIS… My inner child needs to be liked and wants to get an A+ for being “good.” (Grrr… inner teenager says “leave me alone!”)

And, YES!!! Feeling misunderstood, vulnerable, and having sometimes partners who aren’t as good at caregiving as our vulnerable selves need.

It’s OK to need, need more than usual.


I’ve seen people learn more than they wished to do about friends, adult children, spouses, especially in terms of their ability to care for someone who has been the caregiver (& a dang good one at that), perhaps things they’ve ignored for a long time or didn’t recognize.

I’m not saying that’s the case for you, of course, I’m saying I’ve experienced it personally
(Not this time. :angel:) and have heard about others really not getting the support they need… And that’s why it’s good that we use ALL of our Resources to find what we need.

And, that’s what you’ve done, flashy. Wink wink. lol.

You found your tribe and a place where you can speak freely about “all of the things.” And we are ALL here. BoneSmart thank you!

And thank YOU, @Flashcat

Talk to you later. :yahoo:
 
have friends my age (old) calling and saying so are you better!? Somehow it upsets me that no one seems to know what this actually entails. Th
That really used to annoy me too.
I had several close friends who kept expressing surprise that I wasn't "fully better" at about 6-8 weeks. It got so tiring explaining that it takes the best part of a year to get back your strength and energy.
Same!!!! so you wanna go somewhere this weekend? Are you kidding me… This was when I was at two weeks. Does anybody know what’s going on? Lol.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom