TKR Still working on ROM

Please try not to worry. This recovery can be very long and slow. I worried quite a bit my whole first year (because of pressure from everyone!) It is what it is and we all get to the recovery finish line, at our own pace. Our medical teams would do well to realize that and support and encourage us, rather than threatening us with MUAs that are rarely actually needed.
Thank you all so very much. I check in and get the voice of reason and true concern! I appreciate you all very much!
 
I’ve had to cancel pt for 2 weeks. I’m concerned because I don’t feel like doing anything at all. See Surgeon’s PA 8/19 where I will have to insist I won’t have an MUA! Worried
I am sorry you and hubs both have Covid. I hope your cases are mild and you rebound quickly. I am sure you don't feel like doing anything as your body fights off the virus. Please don't feel threatened by your upcoming appointment with the PA. No one can force you into MUA and your body will heal in its own time.
Hopefully you're both feeling a little better today! :console2:
 
Thanks again Lyla.,
My case is pretty bad. But I’ll keep on fighting! I won’t let them bend my knee or do an MUA.
 
That's the correct attitude to have - to keep fighting. Covid, I'm so sorry. Since you've had to cancel PT don't let your mind wander to bad things. This is nothing that can be helped. Do what you can and rest to recover from Covid. Once your feeling better then tackle PT.
 
Whoa 50lbs I am 12 weeks so very far behind

No! You are not! If you read ExRunner's post closely, you will see what she is saying is that her PT made a really BAD decision and caused damage that took months to resolve.

At about 10weeks my PT made me do 50 lb leg presses which caused medial gluteal tendinitis which is finally resolving now 6 months after surgery !!
 
Brain fog! Sorry! It’s sad that this surgical/PT culture has many of us so worried about our recovery. I wish I was better at handling it all! I’ll get ready for the PA showdown!!I hope they just release me!
 
Is it normal to still have warmth in and around my knee at 12 weeks?
Since I have Covid and already missed a week of therapy, the swelling has gone down a little!
Thanks :elevate:
 
Yes, this is completely normal. There is still healing going on and you may still have some swelling that would generate the heat.
 
already missed a week of therapy, the swelling has gone down a little!
Not having PT has allowed the inflammation in your knee to go down, which will result in less swelling. I bet your bend is better now because of the less swelling. Having less inflammation and swelling results in better ROM!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you feeling...I hope things are improving. :praying:
Take good care, get lots of rest and feel better soon.
@Flashcat
 
thank you Layla :thankyou:
Just returned to PT today! Only one this week! As per usual my anxiety is cranked up over my awful ROM. I’m planning to hold my ground but in my past (medical trauma) experience doctors will make you sign something saying you’re going against medical advice and dump ya! That happened to me with Scleroderma I had to leave the practice because I wouldn’t agree to a kidney biopsy to see if the medications were damaging them. I suggested I go off of them to see what resulted. Turns out I began to improve after ending 10+ years of toxic medications! I also know the muscular skeletal damage from scleroderma has continued to impact my healing processes.
 
it normal to still have warmth in and around my knee at 12 weeks?
Yes.
My knee stayed slightly warmer than the unoperated knee for almost a year.
So long as the warmth is diminishing and the knee does not get definitely hotter or redder it can just be part of the gradual healing process.
 
My consultant said after my op that the knees would continue to swell and heat on and off for 3 m. I always add a bit more on to what they say.
It’s partly why I ice so much, especially after any exercise.
 
Sorry for all you've been through. It is your right to refuse any procedure or treatment you do not want.

Regarding the warmth which can accompany swelling - this can go on for months, even up to a full year post op as EalingGran mentioned. The increased blood flow to the area results in the warmth. Swelling and redness are often experienced also. As healing progresses, the warmth, swelling and redness dissipate.
It's all a process, takes time and a lot of patience. Hang in there! :thumb:
@Flashcat
 
I’m scared they are going to really push the MUA I have to be strong! I cannot believe how many people are getting them!
 
I cannot believe how many people are getting them!
I hate to say it, but in my opinion, it's a money thing for some medical groups. It's an easy way to make a quick buck. But, on the other side, many of our members have had good success with MUAs. Only you know if your knee is stuck and won't move any farther, thus needing a MUA. It is your decision only! You know your body.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom