Guest viewing is limited

TKR Still working on ROM

Your doing great. I've been very impressed with your splint time. Good for you.
 
I’m not that knowledgeable about the splint just following their instructions. I’m hopeful but I’m not gained ROM yet!! Worrried! I have noticed a bit of freeing in my gate. Less limping :old:
 
I have noticed a bit of freeing in my gate. Less limping
Celebrate the progress. :yes!: It's only been ten days since you started with the splint. It's not a quick fix, but a gradual one. Stay consistent and keep us posted. I hope you have a good week!
 
@Flashcat … I’m following your saga with the splint with a lot of interest. Many of our members who tried this therapy were not particularly satisfied that it helped them. We never know exactly how someone uses a device like this, so knowing that you’re following the instructions to the letter is great. I’m happy to hear you’ve had some improvements in your gait. Please continue letting us know how things are going and I hope that you will see additional positive benefits.
 
I had to cancel today’s follow up appointment due to a bug! I’m worried as usual and I’m not sure if the splint is helping or not yet I’m at 2 weeks and a few days! Still have crappy RoM but it has improved a little it’s at 74 (just me alone) pt gets it to 80 without much pain I accidentally continued my membership so I’m here for the month. Not that I want to leave I’m just a mess lately
 
I’m glad you opted to continue your Insider membership a little while longer. We can support you more completely that way and hopefully reassure you during your recovery.

I know it’s frustrating when the ROM takes a while to return. It can be slow sometimes which is why we remind people that improvements can come well beyond the first year that most surgeons give as the time needed for full recovery. Patience is important. Please don’t let your frustration push you to overwork your knee trying to get better ROM. You want to challenge it every day with bending and stretching exercises that encourage additional ROM, but not to the point of real pain.

Your splint may work to help you, but it’s also possible it won’t. Our members feedback on splints like this is really mixed. So it may be that you need to just work on the bending and stretching exercises as well or instead of the splint.

What are you doing in the way of exercises?
 
Well the splint and I started water exercise mainly the same things I do at PT marching kick back and bending and stretching using the steps
 
This sounds like a good thing for you. The water makes the exercises easier and those particular things (marching, kicking backwards, bending a stretching on the pool steps) are all ways to gradually improve your ROM.
 
I’m trying but it is frustrating I’m just too fragile physically and emotionally for any manipulation
 
I know it has to be very frustrating and you’re worried that things won’t improve. Please try not to let yourself go there. The chances are very good that improvements will come even though it may take longer than you feel it should. Actual adhesions are not as common as a lot of people believe, even though many MUAs are done with that as the reason. We see people who improve ROM gradually over a year or more.
 
In real time, I had a tough first year, ROM- wise, (though the numbers in my records were good, but that’s because they were forced, I couldn’t do them in my own) and I had two major setbacks that first year which both diminished my real time ROM and function, but my ROM improved a lot all through my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal, and it even improved more in my third year. You have lots of time to improve, as you continue to heal. Using a year as a guideline, you’re “only” about 1/3 through the healing process.
 
I also saw improvement in my bend in the second and third year. I was at 110 my first year. At the end of my second year, I was 120. Now, I'm 130+. It's just a time thing for all of us. I never took PT or did any formal exercises. I used my knee as God intended it to be used, as I could. At first, I could not do much, and I went strictly by the Activity progression for TKRs. On the days that I did more, my knee would swell and my bend would decrease. When that happened, I took the next day off, except for doing things that had to be done. In a few days, the swelling was back down and my bend back up. This worked great for me for 12 knee surgeries!
 
Thank you Jockette and Sister Sinhim! I go to the doctor today and I’m not feeling great! My bend is tight and I’m anxious. I realized, after some research (which I should have done before using the product), I made myself sick with Monk fruit with Erythritol! I was using a lot of it and it made me sick to my stomach and my knee tightened up! Now I’m worried about blood issues that this stuff causes at low level use! Great, I’m brilliant! Wish me luck
 
Just returned from PT! Doc follow up was ok. He’s sensitive to my feelings despite not totally agreeing with me.
He did indicate that if I’m patient I should continue to improve albeit alowly. Seemed surprised that I don’t mind the slow progress. Also said I could have an MUA in the future if I wanted. No real time limit on it! That’s new information from a doc. I see him next month im shooting for 85-90 by then :praying:
 
Also said I could have an MUA in the future if I wanted. No real time limit on it!
I have also read papers suggesting that MUA can be successful later on and that the "window" for MUA is a myth.
 
Sounds like a great surgeon. Good for him for accommodating your wishes on recovery.
 
I’ve come to fear him less and appreciate his open mindedness! Honestly if he did the sub vastus option i might consider the left knee. As it stands today i just hope I don’t get pain in the left knee!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom