TKR Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning one and all! :mcoffee: Well after being so good for so long,:angel: I got a little busy doing chores around here and felt good... so I did a little more... and a little more.... Ooops... :doh: the mucles in my leg are objecting this morning! My gluts and upper rear thigh are sore.:groan: The numb area at my incision, where the nerve was cut, seems to save me a lot of the pain at my knee.... I had to get down on my hands and knees to retrieve something from under a cabinet and discovered the numbness is a larger area than I first thought. I'm thinking this is a good thing.:) I think the sore muscles are from adjusting my stance to relieve low back stress by bending my knees and tightening the gluts while I was washing eggs for sale... this is a stance I have not done for a while because of the instability in both knees. I guess I will have to do it more often and strenghten these muscles back up.
Well I will take an easier day to day.... my pain pills have kicked in now and I feel better than I did. So I am going to get dressed, get some more ice :bow: and suck up to my knee.:giggle:
 
Hah! Thanks for the warning. I was about to do the same. A good reminder to take it easy but not before I order flowers for Sunday!
 
You be sure to rest up lots so you are at your peak on your and Lindsey's wedding day. :flwrysmile: You can order your flowers and solve several other details you need to take care of while you rest, ice, & elevate. :angel:

Hey!!! It is the 5th... Rob and I have been together for 38 years today!:yahoo: Guess I will make him a nice dinner tonight. On the 11th we will be celebrating our 36th wedding anniversay.:cheers:
 
Hi Creeker,
I had my first knee replaced in March and my second one replaced in October. I wanted to wait at least 6 months between to get my first knee some what stronger. I'm glad I did. I don't know how some people do both at once. I wanted to get both done in the same year because we have a $4000.00 deductable on our insurance and would have had to pay it again if I wated until next year. It worked just fine. Both surgerys went very well no more pain Yea...
I joined a fitness club because my theorpy time ran out. No more knee pain but tired and weak muscles. I work out with minimal weights tring to rebuild my leg muscles but with out over doing it and making them sore and setting me back. I went back to work last week part time and will start full time next week. I hope I still have the energy to go to the fitness club after working an 11 hour days. That is my normal work day hours. But I will have to find the energy because I really need to strenghten the muscles. 7 weeks after having surgery My knee is allready better than it was before surgery. I can stand longer and walk further than before surgery. I had a lot of pain in my knees before surgery so I didn't walk and stand much so my legs got fairly weak for several years before I had surgery.
You sound very positive and seem to be doing very well. Keep up the good attitude and you will do fine.
 
I can't wait to have my left knee done. It will be at least 6 months from now. I will be going back to work in Feb... My OS wants me off an extra month because I am a cashier and stand on a concrete floor for 8 hours per shift. It nearly killed me some days before my surgery... :boohoo:
I can tell it is going to take a bit to get back to rebuilding up my muscles in my legs. I showed Rob the back relieving stance I used yesterday washing eggs and he could hear the grinding in my bad knee. It is nice to not have that happen in my new knee any more... one of those little landmarks.:yahoo:
As for my attitude.... I am that anoying person cracking jokes (often inappropriate) in any bad situation. When things are bad I find it easier to make light of it. If you can't laugh... Plus with a name like Joy... it is more than a name it is a lifestyle.... life is too short to be unhappy. So... I refuse to get sick... I refuse to be unhappy.... I refuse to give in to a little (okay a lot) of pain and discomfort.... I will just smile (releases endorfins) and keep looking forward.... :wink:
 
Wow Joy you are really coming along! We had surgery same knee same day. Do you know if you had the minimally invasive procedure? I am curious about the different recoveries on different procedures. I can't believe you spent 1 1/2 hr in Costco. I have steered clear of it since my surgery, but it's nearby and so tempting! I don't even know what I want! just want to go!
You are getting so many things done. I still take a nap...like a baby! Anyway I love hearing how you are doing. You get a Brownie point!!!! xoxoxox
 
G'morning Marianne... nice to hear from you. When you were talking to Pat I measured the scar on my knee... it is 6 inches... I don't know if it was minimally invasive, I don't think it was.... the bruises and bruised bone at my ankles, thighs and knee where they clamped their tools make me think not.:yikes: If this was minimal I don't care to find out what invasive is. My new knee is still indented in the bone just below the knee, where one of the clamps were.
As for Costco.... I do not like shopping so it is a quick trip. The time spent at the store includes the checkout time and loading the truck. I was very glad to have the big shopping cart to lean on. Rob drove all day and with the handicap pass for parking and the ferry it is just a couple steps to store or the elevator to go up to the lounge area and loo on the ferry. It was one of those work smart not hard days. I just sat with my leg up most of it. Rob is wonderful... He does most of the grunt work while I am laid up. He is always on me to not over do cause I tend to be hands on and hate to not carry my share of the load.
I only do 20 minutes of stand up work at a time then I sit and put my feet up. Once my leg decides to swell I do sitdown stuff, fold laundry, mending, etc. I think the continuous standing at work has helped my recovery because it kept my leg muscles toned up... now all I have to do is restrengthen them when they forgive me. Tnx for the brownie point!!! :giggle:
 
Wow... it has been almost a week since I posted here on my thread!.... 8 weeks today!
Little things I have noticed.... I can put my pants on, standing on one leg, without loosing my balance. Haven't been able to do that for awhile... left leg balance is still bad but right is getting better daily.
I went out and did the chores in the chicken coop, I threw greens for them, collected eggs and put straw in the nest seeing there was a lack of it. (my helpers are getting tired of doing my stuff) Poor chickies.
My leg swells with a bit with activity but goes back to normal overnight.
My activity level is going up... I can stand for an hour straight before needing to sit and put my leg up. I only occasionally need to ice so I am putting away my cryo cuff till next time and can rely on ice packs.

Rob and I are celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary today.... Oh boy!!!! Dinner out!!!! Then we get to go to a legion meeting cause it is elections. How romantic.... -):groan::rolleyes:

Everyone have a good day!
 
Creeker so glad to hear how well you are doing! It only gets better from there. Happy Anniversary to you and hubby! 36 yrs is something to brag about. Hugs!
 
Creeker, you're doing great,and congratulations on you 36 wedding anniversary and your 8 week knee anniversary! :thumb:

Enjoy your dinner out!
 
Happy anniversary, Joy. I don't know, I think a legion meeting is an appropriate way to celebrate your 36th anniversary. :cheers: Also it was great to hear your progress report. It is so nice to see the energy returning and the functioning returning. Woot! :yes!:
 
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JOY & ROB:martini: Hope you have had a very happy day. Glad to see you are progressing well. It was my 8 week anniversary last saturday and ive often read on the forum how things improve greatly after the magic 8 weeks. So heres hoping. AAt least we have got over the worst. I really do need a rest before I have my right knee done. This has totally overwhelmed me. We take our good health for granted thats for sure and an op like this has knocked me sideways. Take care x
 
Thanks guys.... Randi I can think of better ways to celebrate other than a long election meeting..... it can drag on almost as long as your presidential elections, only there are more personalities:doh: therefore more laughs! Quite right though :cheers: the perks of location are good!:cheers: :rotfl: We will see how it goes. I am hoping Japanese food for dinner... That will make it all better!
Pat... I am in the same time zone as Marianne and Randi so 8 hours behind you... I am going over to your thread and see what you posted about your outing. It is 3:05 pm here.
 
Congratulations Joy and Rob, happy anniversary. Joy what a great day, you have plenty to celebrate with two anniversaries.
Your posts are always uplifting.
Enjoy your meal
Toothfairy. :egypdance: :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks.... It was Japanese Food for dinner! Mmmmm!:yay:
We elected a good group of people for our Legion executive so it was a productive evening it should be a very good year!
I saw a friend who had his knee done 3 weeks before me. His first words to me were "I hate you!" :snork: He had some complications and has had a lot of trouble healing. He is still on 2 crutches. I have shed myself of my cane unless I am tired or the location is uneven. After a chat he said he felt better... I pointed out that by evening my right leg tends to puff up and gets very tired. I showed him my puffy leg. I have not completely healed yet. :snork:
 
Joy, this goes double for TKR patients.
[Bonesmart.org] Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?
 
Ha, Ha, Ha ,Ha!!!!!:rotfl: Randi... you just kill me!!!!

My ex-next-door-neighbour no longer has her drivers licence and needed a lift to the hospital in Sechelt for an appoiintment in radiology. I told her I could drive her. Her son, my age, lives in greater Vancouver, a ferry ride away. She said she wanted to go for lunch, her treat. for the favor. So, yesterday I did my chores here before I picked her up. We went to a lovely chinese smorgasbord near the hospital and caught up. Her grandchildren are the sme age as my girls so I got to hear all about her great grand children.... all happy news!
I got to drop off the walker I borrowed from the loan cupboard... :yay:and picked up some greens for the chickens. On our way back to Gibsons. we dropped the greens off at my house and then I dropped my friend off. Oooo look at the time.... called Rob, he was just about to leave work.... I picked him up and we went for one at the Legion (haven't done that for a while) then picked up some dinner, and his car, on the way home. It was such a busy day and inevitably my leg puffed up from all the activity. I did take a couple pain pills so I could sleep well and again, like magic the puffiness is gone by morning.
It is great the way our bodies can heal themselves when we give them time and a little love!:console2:
Today I think I will retire my lovely teak deck chair back to its home on the deck and get on with some much needed house work. Christmas is coming!!!! :xmasdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom