TKR Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that is super! (6 hours sleep). I feel like its enough since we rest so much during the day. Good for you for calling your doc when you weren't getting pain relief! Brownie point for you!
 
Well I can not believe I have not posted to my thread since Sunday!!!! Well I had physio on tuesday and overdid a little and spent wed resting icing and napping.... I did get some laundry done, folding is a sitting job and tues I threw a roast, potatoes and pre preped carrots into a slow cooker when I got home from physio and Rob came home to dinner almost done. Nice break for him and the leftovers made for great r.beef sandwiches this week.
I had physio again today and my pt says one day next week and one more a couple weeks after that to consentrate on balance issues. I have achieved 0 and 123 for my straight and bend numbers. Most of the problem I have is sore mucles not the pain there was in the beginning. I have been off of the heavy pain meds for a week and the codine/ tylenol since Sat. When things start to get a little sore I rest and ice. I had a friend who had it easy with her first knee and a rough time with the second. I am hoping when I have a second it will go as well as this has so far. Fingers crossed for no set backs.
[Bonesmart.org] Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way? 3 days
[Bonesmart.org] Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way? 1 week... steri strips.. no staples, metal allergy
[Bonesmart.org] Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way? 3 weeks
 
Wow you are doing so well! I had surgery the same day. I think my OS is planning on me doing PT for months. My PT is tomorrow. I can't wait to see what I actually measure on the goniometer (sp) sounds like it measures gonads but I think its the knee angle.
When are you allowed to drive or are you now? And what else are you doing? Using crutches? How far do you walk? Are you doing the bike at PT? Massage?
Be proud! You did great!
 
Congrats on the excellent report! I see I have a lot to live up to in the next week! My ROM is pretty good, 0-97, but the quad muscle is still pretty weak. I can't move my leg around on it's own while reclining, for example. I guess it had gotten pretty weak. Pretty soon you will be out there feeding the cows and mowing the lawn!
 
I am guessing the strength and range of movement has come about because I was working standing on a concrete floor 8 hours a day and I have always been very flexable. But my balance still sucks. When it is rested and happy I no longer have the slidey feeling in my new knee when I am walking. So I don`t think strengthening the balance muscles will be hard. In Canada there is only so much pt paid by the medical system and once you reach a certain level it is up to you to pay for more or continue on your own.
Marianne... No driving for 6 weeks... I think that is more for drugs but I will let lie as we only have standard 4x4s and I am not confident I can hold the brake down in an emergency. I am comfortable using a cane when I am walking and am getting around the house without. I can do 5 minutes on the exersize bike at pt. I can go for a short walk to the end of our driveway and back... 1 small city block. then I rest. I do 15 minutes 3-5 times per day (depending on how I feel) to make my lunch or put on a load of laundry or start a meal. Most of the time I rest. With no meds I can feel the stress and sit down. I believe less is better. I was given a booklet of exersizes to do at each stage and am following that. I have nothing but time at the moment to take it easy and let it heal. Later when I don`t get so tired and sore I can work on working it up in strength and balance. I can not take credit for how well I am doing... it is not because of anything I am doing rather what I am not doing. I guess I will not win the lottery.... I have been very lucky with how this surgery.... congrats to my OS.
Randi..... It sounds like you are doing great! Don`t rush it! Just do what you feel comfortable with. No Rob cuts the lawn on his riding mower. He says it is a 3 beer lawn.... No cows either... just chickens, lots and lots of chickens, laying lots and lots of eggs to wash, box, and sell. I have to admit the trips to sunday meat draw is also a chance to sell eggs to many of my friends I keep telling them I haven`t missed one.
I should go and get my brekkie... Sunday is rememberance day and the Legion will be serving sandwiches to our vets and members. I promised a loaf of egg sandwiches so I know what I will be doing tomorrow. It will take all day to do what I usually do in a couple hours... I don`t think I will attend the service this year and I cannot work inside afterwards so maybe I will go in with our eggs after the crush is over... we`ll see.
 
Hi Joy, just catching up on your thread. You seem to be progressing well. So much nicer without the staples isnt it. I am using one crutch around the house and sometimes none at all but i still get a bit scared I will fall. Its so nice we are all going thru this together and we have lots of people to just whine to or give advice. its great. Keep up with the good work. Best wishes.
 
In Canada there is only so much pt paid by the medical system and once you reach a certain level it is up to you to pay for more or continue on your own.
I live in Canada too and we we can have as much and as often as we need it PT, maybe it differs from province to province.
 
What I am saying... at this point there is not much more for physio to do without stressing my knee as it is a very short time since my surgery, so right now I am not in need of more PT. How much more PT I will need will be assessed when I go back next week and then when I go back a couple weeks after that. I believe it depends upon each individuals speed of recovery.
I think it differs province to province as each province is in charge of administering it's own medical coverage. But I am pretty sure no matter where you are they will stop paying for your physio when you are assessed as being better.
Of course I could be wrong.
 
I think once you are assessed as better you won't physio anymore anyways...:scratch: I know from own personal experience that when I was finished with physio that I was told that I could call for another appointment should anything come up in the next little while and I felt I needed more physio.
 
Randi and Joy, You both sound like you are doing great! Keep up the good work!:yay: I'm doing great as well, going to ask if I can be released to go back to work. I'm still taking Aleeve twice a day and have added Tylenol to help me sleep which by the way is working. Sometimes now I can't believe I had anything done because I feel so good, than other time my right knee tells me it her turn:), I want to wait until after February because I'm going to be a grandmother for the first time:happydance: You girls keep up the good work and I'll be watching your post. Ice, and elevate the key to success!
 
Wow Redbird... back to work already!!! You must be feeling great.... Glad to hear it! You must have a sitting down job.
Good news Gramma.... when is she due? Best wishes!
 
wow that is quick to be going back isnt it. Im just glad i dont have to. Just looking forward to getting more involved with the grand kids now my knees improved. cant wait.
 
Wow going back when you are just 9 weeks. You are brave Redbird! What kind of work do you do? You may want to make a couple of the alcohol ice packs for your freezer at work. They are fabulous and last a long time. Good luck with the doctor!
 
Not even 9 weeks is it redbird. you had the op october 2nd thats very fast to get back to work or have i got the date wrong
 
Patricia, Joy, and Brownie, No you got the surgery date right, it was Oct 2nd. I am a medical assistant and the snowbirds are back and the girls I work with are overwhelmed this time of year. I think it will be good for me, getting up and down and Brownie you must of read my mine , I was planning on taking two ice packs with me. My first grand child is due in February, my daughter lives in Maryland, I can hardly weight , it's going to feel like for ever, :sad: My daughter has named her Briania Nicole. You girls are doing wonderful, and I just feel like I'm getting stronger every day because I'm getting more sleep now!:egypdance:Have a very nice Sunday and stay warm!
 
Redbird.... You will be busy!!! Make sure you get lots of rest, too.... It will be so nice for you when Briania Nicole gets here! :flwrysmile:
In the mean time... I went major grocery shopping with Rob yesterday and shopped at the store I work in as well! I also did a full day of activities "doing" round the house in between icing down the knee. It was just a little swollen overnight and a bit sore this AM.... Nice to step up the activities. I moved the first of my stuff into the living room as I am going to move out of the bedroom and back into the rest of the house! Woo Hoo!!!:yahoo:Now for some more coffee!!!:mcoffee:
 
Joy you are doing great. My surgery was only a few days behind you and I am only at 95 ROM and that is pushing it. I'm glad you are doing so well, you are an inspiration!
 
Well, today marks 4 weeks since surgery!:yahoo:
I had a very busy weekend as here it was Rememberance Day and Rob had 3 days off. We shopped on Sat. and I made sandwiches for the rememberance services on Sunday at our Legion in between rest, ice and elevate. The day went well and I felt great when I woke up Sunday all swelling down. Sunday wa skipped the service but went in later in the day after the big crush of people left and saw many of our friends then went out for dinner at the pub. I chose the pub with the 1.5 flight of stairs as I had little swelling and wanted to do the stairs... It was great to feel the strength returning and being able to do stairs straight on, not sideways. Home and... R,I,&E.
I was tired on Monday so we just hung out and rested.:mcoffee: I was paying for those stairs. :groan:Then I helped out with some of the chicken chores for a bit of freash air.... Well, my leg puffed up over the evening and the icing and elevating was not helping enough... by bedtime I was still somewhat sore... mainly muscles. As my husband left this AM for work he told me to stay in bed and rest today.... his orders! So here I am... R,I,&E, but in the living room. I can't do everything I am told.:heehee: Swelling is down and soreness gone but I will not push today, PT tomorrow. Guess I will go and catch up on the paper work that needs doing while I R,I&E. The bills never stop!:doh:
 
Yay! Four weeks and you are getting out a little AND taking care of your knee. There's a lot of trial and error isn't there? I am keeping track of your progress for as you know, you are my role model! In the meantime I will post a three week update on my thread.
 
Oh, and I've moved my main station to the living room, where we have a big wide window seat. Last night I even slept there and it is more comfy than either of the beds. Gotta stay comfortable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom