TKR Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Pat.... I am pretty happy. It feels so good to be able to do so many things again. I see you are getting out and doing more too. I am glad your bakers cyst behaves sometimes and lets you go hiking. I have trouble with the down hills too.... I think it is due to my balance issues. At least I no longer feel my knee is going to slide forward and dislocate. :groan:Having avoidied some activities pre op because it hurt too much has taken its toll on what I can easily do now so I keep finding challenges and working on them. I bet your hubby was pleased you could do the "stairs" after all you have been through. :hiking: Good on you!
 
Yaaaaaayyyyyyyyy! :cheers: You sound awesome Joy! I am so delighted for you and the progress you are experiencing! Not one of those landmarks is a "little thing!" Each one is a huge accomplishment as we step firmly toward our recovery and should be celebrated. I remember that sense of joy when I was able to put my pants on standing up without assistance. woohoo! Thank you for the great report and keep on keepin' on girl!
 
Yes Lynn.... I catch myself doing things and then realizing after that I couldn't do that for a while..... Yeah!!!:catdance:
Each landmark makes it easier to meet the next challenge.
I do find I tire faster than before but my energy level is steadily climbing.
Focus on the good works for me. I am good to go!
Take care!
 
Hello Joy ,
What an inspiring post. I am so pleased to hear that you are doing so well.
Great to hear you are enjoying your new knees.
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
Great to hear from you Joy! It sounds like all is well but wish you didn't have to work so hard! I still haven't been up there, altho I did make it to Delta, BC and the Reifel Bird Sanctuary. I still have your email, just in case. I'm glad you are well. I posted on my thread so no need to repeat! Have a fun summer. Lovely weather we've been having.
 
Oh my goodness!!!! It has been so long since I was here! I want to say Hi to all.
I have had a wonderful summer. The weather has been fabulous and I spent all summer working in the sunshine in the garden center at work. April May and June were so busy that I was exhausted by the end of the day..... I endured swollen joints at days end making it hard to stand up after sitting for an hour when I got home. It often took a day or two to recover so I could work another day or two. While it was brutal in the beginning, gradually I found I was doing more and having fewer problems.
My left knee will be two in a month and my right knee will be one a month after that. I can now work an 8 hour shift on my feet and come home and make dinner and do my chores (watering garden, feeding chickens, getting eggs, and play with Jazz :doggie:and the cats :kitty: ). We went to the local pub for my daughters birthday and I climbed the 3 flights of stairs without holding the railing, one foot after another. When I reached the top I was not in pain and not out of breath. I can also go down the hill to the pump house and check the water again... it has been 5 years. I can now feel the strength in my knees and am loosing the feeling of instability that has dominated my life for the last 20 years and my balance is returning. There are still the odd bad days after I have done way more than I should. I am getting used to working on a hard concrete floor again now that I have been moved back inside for fall and winter but most days there is no problem. I am off all of the pain meds as well. It would be nice if the leg and foot cramps would go away but they are fewer all the time.
I am posting this to show those in the early stages of recovery that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Life will get better. Yes it will seem like forever at times but it will get better. Rest, Ice, Do your exercises gently and take your meds by the clock.... Keep looking forward. Little by little you will do more and get stronger. You will know when to push a bit and when to back off. Trust how you feel and read what your knee is telling you.
Thank you to all who mentored me through my surgeries and all of my healing buddies. I love you all:loveshwr:
Take care and we will chat again.:happyfeet:
 
@Creeker13 Thanks for the up date it is good to read great out comes and gives us hope and the strength to keep going little by little. :ok:
 
@jul I remember many tough days feeling like I would never have a normal life again.... This site kept me going and keep my focus on the positive. I often recommend it to people I meet at work who are going in for knee or hip surgery. I like to pay it back with positive feedback. I was the poster child of a great result for this surgery. I just wish the specialist did not wait so long to let me do it.
How soon will you get your next knee done?
 
@Creeker13 when I go back for my 3 month check up we will see how things are progressing then to see when we should go ahead with my right one.

I no what you mean about why they wait so long as all I kept getting was lose weight bike ride and swim they would not touch me and I was at the stage I just could not walk far with being on agony and needing to rest so I went to the docs and said I just can't take it any more I can't walk far and it's consuming my life so he recommended my surgeon and he took one look at me and said which one do I want done first I nearly fell of my chair :happydance:Hooray I thought.

Julie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great update, Joy! I have the same experience as you. It seemed like the knee was a little stiff at one year but by a year and a half that was gone. I can really count on my knees now! @jul Hang in there! It takes time but it sure makes a huge difference. For both of you: I'm sorry you had to wait so long.
 
What a wonderful update!!! I'm so happy you took time to post for all of those members who are either awaiting surgery or new in recovery. Sometimes it's difficult to see what the future might look like after years of knee pain and then the pain immediately following surgery. But you've done a great job showing how wonderful it can be to regain your life after a TKR! Bravo!!!
 
@Jamie It is all about paying it forward. People were there when I needed advice or just a little sympathy when I was feeling sorry for myself and thinking I was out of my mind to do this to myself, so I have to help others to feel the warm glow of the light at the end of the tunnel. I have often recommended this site to customers and friends facing new knees or hips.

I did notice my ooopps....:whistle: my right knee is 2 in 2 weeks and the left is 1 in November.
 
@riwintin and Joy it was lovely to hear from you and hear about your progress. I was in recovery with both of you and we helped each other many times. My leftie is also 2 years this october. My right knee still not been done. Its nice to hear a positive outcome from both of you and really lovely to hear from you both. Sending hugs ❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Joy, is seems we came on here about the same time - I am heading into my 2-year anniversaries for each knee. You are so right about the importance for being here for others as many were for us. Congratulations and so happy you enjoyed the summer outdoors and are experiencing so much mobility and stability. Ain't it grand!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom