TKR Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great that you're doing so well!!

Your daughter's issues makes a good case for finding a particularly expert knee surgeon.
 
She have been referred to a orthopedic surgeon who is a sports specialist and works out of the same hospital as my OS.... He seems to have good credentials.... We will know more tomorrow.... all her GP says is nothing is broken. I suspect there is a lot of cartilage damage.... I am hoping she does not need surgery.
 
Broken bones are a cinch. It's the soft tissue injuries that are tricky. But if it were my son's knee, or my knee, I would be hunting for Dr. Incredible Knee Surgeon.
 
Jpy! It is amazing when these "anniversaries" almost escape notice. Congratulations. I do hope your daughter's issues can be tended to short of what e all have been through! Keep us posted!
 
Thanks! I am feeling pretty good with the ten months results.... Candice has been told to start weight baring with a custom knee brace. There is a MRI in her future but that will be a wait.... Backed up medical system. It is going to be a challenge getting her a good brace as she is on disability and the ministry has to okay the expense... that can be weeks.... it sucks! We will persevere!
 
Wooo Hooo!!!!! :happydance: I just called and got my date!!!! November 19.... I was hoping for late October but it will be better for getting back to work on the recovered end!!! :dancy:
Now to plan.... Christmas is going to be someone else's problem.... we will see. Both daughters cook. I can fill my freezer with precooked meals so hubby only has to warm them up this time. Someone else talked about that when I was recovering last time.... It is hard for him to have to cook after working all day. Makes life easy.
Wooooo Hooooo!:happydance:
 
Awesome - so good to have a plan. I had no problem last year relinquishing all control over Christmas - mine were Oct. 30 and Dec. 17. Heck, you are an old hand (or "old knee") at this - you'll be just fine by then!!
 
Yes Lynn this will be easier as I know what to expect.... :yes!:not so many blonde moments after...... (oh gee that would have been good to have done before cause I can't now!!!!!:rolleyes: )
I hope work will keep me on until the last minute and I have time to organize. I was getting to the point I could not do everything I needed last time. My new knee is great and the other is not as bad as the first was.... I had no idea how badly the first one had limited my activities until I was 4 months recovered. I so want this one done and over so I can resume all of my activities without the exhaustion that pain creates.
 
Congratulations on your getting your date Joy. O what a peaceful and relaxing Christmas you will have (hopefully ). Im sure it will be easier second time around. You were very laid back ( or is that laid up) last time so Im sure you will be again. Bad news about your daughter tho. Hope things go well for her. My appt to see my OS is in November . We will see what that brings (she says nervously ) I don't see the attraction of another TKR like you and Toothfairy seem to. Yes Im dreading it. Good news is that right knee is being very good and not giving me any problems. So take care until then. Get cooking and freezing. Hugs x
 
Thanks Pat..... I shared the news with my family tonight and only one daughter #2 is a bit miffed I will be laid up for Christmas again.... we shall see.
My other daughter is doing better.... fewer pain pills and she has bend again. She has just gotten a new apartment and is moving this coming weekend. I guess her roommate will help with laundry and shopping as there is a short flight of steps involved. She is still in a wheel chair and feels the knee is so unstable that she can not weight bear. Her specialist is getting an MRI and is ordering a custom brace to improve the stability. We are awaiting a government agency's go ahead to get that done and have just been informed a form was not filled out and they are snail mailing all back, to get the extra form filled out and then returned to them:headbang: .... another month or two I bet. :hairpulling:
 
Wow! Robynhood just reminded me it will be one year on the 16th since I had my first knee replacement.... :egypdance::SUNsmile: It seems like it was just yesterday and a lifetime ago. My new knee is now known as my good knee. I can go up and down stairs so much better now and if there is no railing and my hands are full I can lead with my right and make it.... one step at a time. I can kneel but knee pads are a must. I have been out in my chicken run which has dusting pot holes and uneven ground. I had no trouble navigating it but still have to take it slow because my left knee is still unstable.... but not for long!!!!:spin:By next summer I should be good to go with 2 good knees! I hope to have a veggie garden planted early in the season.
I took a tumble Sunday and have been off work this week and will be next week as well. I injured my upper right arm and am having trouble reaching high enough to be able to give my customers their receipt. I hope to go back after thanksgiving. ( here in Canada that is next weekend October 15) Could have been a lot worse.
My daughter is still waiting for her brace. I hope to have her paperwork back this week. The dr. was on vacation. She is very happy with her new apartment but still is in the wheel chair so she is house bound.
That is my up date..... I think about you all a lot. Cheers!:cheers: Chao for now!
 
Congratulations on your kneerly a year anniversary.
Sorry to hear you fell over and hurt yourself. Not a good move.
Hope your aches and pains soon settle and you can get on with your planning for knee two. November will roll round soon.
Hope your daughter gets her knee brace quickly so she can get more mobile. Must be very frustrating for her being housebound.
Sending a hug, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
So nice to hear from you Joy. YOU CAN KNEEL. I'm impressed. That's the one thing I cannot do. Tried it once. Didnt like it. Won't try it again. Sorry you had a fall and Injured your arm. Hope you feel better soon. It's been quite a year hasnt it. I'm pleased my consultant said See you In two years for the next one. That suits me just fine. If I have any problems of course I will go back. I won't leave it so late like I did with knee number one. I remember the posts with you Randi and I when we first came on the forum . Battlesore and bewildered describes it well. Thank you for your encouragement and sense of humour when I was having a bad day. We were all there for each other went we. Hope you take this time off work to rest and get organized for knee number 2. Keep us updated. Take care. Hugs x x
 
So good to hear from you. Congratulations! We are all clocking in at one year. Yay! I thought about you as I was in Nanaimo for a day and a half this week. I do hope to get up there to see you some day. Glad you have your surgery date! I will be checking in on you. Don't worry about your daughter being miffed about Christmas, does she think you are superwoman or made out of rubber? She will get over it. Sorry to hear about your other daughter tho. I hope she can get her knee taken care of properly. We sympathize!
 
"Happy almost Anniversary to yoooouuuuuu....!" We are all getting to that point - and are here to shout it out! Joy, I am glad you have your date for #2 - so much to look forward to when you recover! I hope your arm recovers quickly. I can't believe your daughter has been stuck in a wheelchair this long over some paperwork. Haven't they heard of scanning signatures into a .pdf? Poor thing! Good luck to you both.
 
Creeker13 good luck with your second knee. I just had my second one done and it went much easier than the first. I know some of this is luck but I think also it is because this knee was not as bad as my first knee. I am sure your second knee will do well also and it is much easier since you now know what to prepare and what will happen and the steps involved in getting through it. Like you, I look forward to next spring and being able to do more, weed my garden, actually put in some veggies and not have pain.
 
Gardening is unbelievably easier now. Of course, knee replacement doesn't resolve the procrastination issue.
 
Thank you for all the well wishes .... :thankyou:I was wearing a new pair of pants that needed hemming so I wore the cute boots with the 1.5 inch heel (I have always worn runners and flat shoes) that I bought just before my surgery last year and am only just now feeling comfortable wearing. I stepped on the edge of my pant leg and took a nose dive onto the very hard vinyl over concrete floor in front of a room of friends and acquaintances. Missed my knees and landed on my right hand/elbow. I thought only my pride was scuffed but within a couple hours everything stiffened up and I knew I wasn't working the next day. Needless to say pants are hemmed and cute boots put away for a while.:whistle:
The break from work is giving me a good chance to prep for the next knee, next month. At least as far as I can do left handed. I am very glad I can manage to a point as a lefty.
Hope your daughter gets her knee brace quickly so she can get more mobile. Must be very frustrating for her being housebound.
I hope so too.... it has been 3 months and she needs to be building up the torn muscles before they atrophy more. We make sure she gets out some and she has a friend taking her to her appointments and shopping. I am about to call her specialist to see if they have gotten the paper work filled out by the Dr. and Orthotist and fax it back to me. Then we can send it to the powers that be and hopefully it will not be long after that. :shrug:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom