TKR Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stairs at the pub are always easier to climb after a long day, didn't you know that? May be harder to get down, tho. Spent the morning sifting compost and prepping the strawberry and veggie beds. Beeeoootifull day! Knee is fine. I did ice it one day this week, which is by now, rarely needed. Woohoo!
 
Definitely! In fact, I think maybe you might consider using the pub stairs as your physiotherapy. Kidding aside, it is so nice to realize that you don't need the handrail, esp. when you just do it without thinking. A year ago I went to NYC with my sister. It was fun but I remember using handrails as a full blown assistive device. After that trip, I actually was shocked when my knee doc said I needed TKR. Denial! Ain't it a scream!
Congratulations on your most excellent progress! :thumb:
 
Well I have done 2 shifts in the garden center over the weekend.... It went fabulously well!:egypdance: I found the 2 steps up into the cash shack no problem. 3 shifts coming next week.... :) They were nice enough to leave one day between so I can rest up... I am finding it is my feet that are giving me the most trouble.... not used to the standing any more but each shift it is better. I bought some moccacines to wear this summer and I have found my feet are swelling less. I have short super wide feet (paddles) and have a very tough time getting shoes wide enough. Most men's shoes still are not wide enough. Triple E width and a limited budget for foot wear. I live in sandals for the summer and moccacines mid season.
We have had a full week of beautiful weather.... Sun and 16 (65) plus degrees !!!:ok: Very warm! We got much done in the garden. It is cooler today but the rain is supposed to hold off until friday. More to do.... woo hooo..... strains of 'back in the saddle again'! I went down to the creek where our water intake is with Jazz.:puppysmooze: She went for a swim in the creek (downstream) and my bad knee said maybe the steep hill would be better left alone til next year.... I can feel the wobble and it feels like it is going to slide forward off the plateau behind the knee cap.... :groan: My new knee on the other hand feels great.... it gets tired by the end of the day but feels strong and stable!!!:yes!:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?
Joy, you are just doing so well!!! Your new knee is just the bomb!!!! Know what you mean about footwear---hubby wears an 8 1/2 EE and I wear a 6W---have to order off the internet--can't find the small sizes in stores.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?
 
Creeker13
How are you doing this week? Your knee still doing fine?
And that weather sounds perfect!!
 
Hi all.... Yes the weather has been wonderful and I have been spending a lot of time in the garden. I did my three shifts this week and am paying for the 6 months off.... :groan: I take ibuprophen in the morning and again at lunch as well as a 292 (asprin and codine) and I am good to go, but when I get home I am 'done' for the day. By day three this week we picked up fish and chips on the way home and I just sat.:beer:
This morning I woke to stiff and sore muscles in my arms and legs. :groan: A little liniment and some pain pills and I plan to just do some light gardening. We have to prep for the 50 chickens that are arriving on Monday!:yay: Fresh layers to replace the old girls who have passed on and/or been lost to preditors over the winter.
Pitter patter best get at er..... :yahoo: You all have a great weekend and I will try to post some picks of my garden later.:ok:
 
The stairs at the pub are always easier to climb after a long day, didn't you know that? May be harder to get down, tho. Spent the morning sifting compost and prepping the strawberry and veggie beds. Beeeoootifull day! Knee is fine. I did ice it one day this week, which is by now, rarely needed. Woohoo!
That is a great report! Icing here and there is a wise thing to do; eventually, I bet that you will no longer need to ice it---but I remember certain days after my BTKR that I would ice a knee here or there, too.
 
Well it has been over a month since I posted.... I am working 3 days a week every week and we got our new chickens just after my last post, thus we are in the new "busy" season on our hobby farm. Wow... time just flies by. :rolleyes:
I am writing this instead of getting my reading done for my pesticide licence test for work. :whistle: That is how my afternoon will be spent. May long weekend (Victoria Day in Canada or Memorial Day in US) is garden planting season dead line... Even though they have allowed me access to a stool during my shift I am finding it so busy it is next to impossible to use it as it is just too busy. I stand for most of my 8 hour shift and am glad to sit for my 1/2 hour lunch break and afternoon coffee. When I work 2 days in a row I tend to rest for my first day off. I am now (after 2 months ) finding my feet are back in shape and not aching all the time. My new knee is doing well....@ 7 months it still is tired after work and achy when I wake up but I can feel the improvement week by week. I stopped taking Ibuprophen because it seem to cause leg cramps (when taken with blood pressure medication) I can not believe how much stronger and better the new knee feels compared to last year when it was just getting worse.... I was changing a hose connection out at the shop and had no problem getting down on my knees (wearing knee pads) to work below ground level for a few minutes... I haven't done that for a while. It was one of those AHA! moments:yahoo:
I heard from my OS.... I could have had my LTKR soon but have asked to delay it until the fall for financial reasons. It is too busy at work and home right now Fall will give me the winter to heal again.... that works for me.
I have enjoyed catching up on everyone else's posts....:friends: Keep up the good work everyone.... :thumb: I will try to post again sooner.
 
Nice to hear from you Joy, twice. :) i really admire you working as you do. Im recovering well but never know from one day to the next what I will feel like when I get up in the morning. Sometimes Im raring to go other times it takes up to mid day to get my knees moving. All depending on that activities Ive done the day before. So knowing I would have to be at work would be tricky. Like you my next TKR is looming. Maybe we will be recovery buddies next time as well. Take Care . Dont work too hard. :)
 
Lovely to hear from you Joy and such a positive and inspiring post. :angel:
Have a happy Thursday,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :kittykiss: :puppysmooze:
 
Joy! Great to hear from you and such a positive report! You certainly have been busy but how wonderful to know your knee is stable and reliable. I know what you mean about going down on your knees. I was giving a GS leader training the other day and had a technological issue. I didn't even think about going onto the floor to see what was going on with the equipment. Of course, the knees immediately reminded me I should have thought before I knelt (no padding - hard floor!). :groan: And isn't it nice to know you have a plan for the other knee! Keep up the awesome work!
 
Joy you are doing great! Your report sounds good. I like the idea of having the next knee done and recovering during the cold months.
Pat I am the same...sometimes takes a couple hours to get my knees going. I sure hope this changes once they are both replaced! At this point I thought there would be less stiffness and soreness. But always moving forward right?
Hi Lynn! Oh boy getting down on those knees! Good for you getting through that!
 
I can appreciate the hard floor thing Lynn.... I have laminate flooring and have made that mistake. One day @ 3-4 months, I sat on the floor and then rolled around trying to find an angle that I could get a leg under me and get up. :umm: I wallowed around like a beached whale untill I could get to a chair to help lift on.... it wasn't pretty!:loll:I knew I was going to have to get on my knees to hook up this hose and that Rob would have tightened it to the point of needing tools to loosen it. :gaah: I was pleased that I could get up and down easier now (to hunt the right tools to work in the very tight space) but the knee pads helped immensely.... :yay: I did not want to wallow around in front of my 30 something daughter. I will be using the knee pads in the garden.... Be Prepared!:wink:
Yes Pat, we may be recovery buddies again.... I thought not, for a while, as you had said you didn't think you would get the other done (that was really early on) but it is amazing how brave we get with a little time... like having children. I really want to get this other knee done sooner but it would be financial suicide and then I would be returning to work at Christmas for the silly season.... Fall just makes sense.
I find 2 busy days at work it takes 1 day to recover but after 3 busy days at work :groan:it takes 2 full days to feel good enough to do anything. Fortunately I usually only do 2 days in a row. :thumb:
I find the new knee is very stable on uneven ground. I am still working on balancing skills.... rebuilding the muscles that I could no longer use because my knee was worn out. Work in progress!:ok:
Marianne... I find the swelling and achiness after standing all day sets in about an hour after I get home. My feet swell up and it is difficult to walk when I get up but it dissipates when I start making dinner. It is the same in the morning..... :groan: Once I get moving every thing settles down. Sucks to get old....:giggle: I am not giving in!!!!
Everyone have a good day!!!! Good to hear from you.... I missed you all.:)
 
Well.... 8.5 months and I am getting around much better. My new knee is often stiff by the end of the day but it is no longer sore. I come home and make dinner and am able to keep doing things. It is getting easier to do stairs and I am only restricted by the limits of my bad knee. I think some of the feeling is starting to come back in the "dead zone" beside the scar as it is occasionally very itchy. I am looking forward to next year with 2 good new knees!!!!:yay:
It is nice coming back and seeing how everyone else is doing....
Congratulations Pat robynhood on pounds lost!
Best wishes for quick recovery to Marianne Brownie51 on her newest knee
Thanks for the update on Marianne, Lynn NightQuilter
Sounds like everyone is getting along and back to a "normal life"! There are just too many to name but thank you for all the support.:friends:
I will check in again soon and of course I will be back full time in the fall when I get my left knee done! Take care all my BS friends.
 
So good to hear from you. I haven't posted for a while that's what happens when the knee is zippedy-doo-da! Glad to hear you're doing well and I'll look forward to hearing from you next winter when you have two new knees!
 
Great to hear from you Joy! And glad you are doing well. I know that itchy feeling - it can be maddening at times. I too, think I am getting more of that feeling back as well. Still tough to get on my knees unless it is a heavily padded surface.

Have you a date yet for #2? Do keep us posted and, in the meantime, enJoy your summer.
 
Joy so good to hear from you. Im so pleased you are returning to normal life. And working as well . Youre a hero. I hope you have a lovely summer and get "jiggy with it " ha ha. Sending you hugs. Take Care
 
Wow time passes so quickly.... I was surprised to realize it was 10 months since surgery on the 16th. I am pleased with the strength and balance I am regaining. I tripped a couple times and walking on the uneven surface of our property has not ended with me on the ground.... I love it!!!:yes!: I can now work 3 days in a row, come home and make dinner and am still able to get up and do other things. For those of you at the beginning, take heart, it does get better.
My daughter fell down some stairs and has a condyle fracture of her knee and mcl or acl damage. We go to see the specialist tomorrow.... She did this on July 5 and is still unable to bare her weight on her knee because it is so unstable. She has been getting around in a wheelchair since then and is living on my couch until she finds an apartment she can afford and get around in. (She had just moved in to a trailer on our property for the summer while she looked for a new apartment.) I so would not have wished this on her.... And so it begins.....:sad:
She is able to bend it now and is not in as much pain. If she had broken her leg she would have been out of her cast by now instead of just seeing the specialist. Hmmm
I hope you all have a good day!:thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom