Guest viewing is limited

TKR Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Joy,
It's good to hear that you are doing so well.
I think your phone alarm solution to pill reminders is brilliant, simple and effective. No need for a special app! Why didn't I think of that, duh!!!
Great news about your progress. You have got the right approach.
I am doing well thanks. I started back to work last week, only two half days. This week it's three half days and one full day which will be more of a challenge. I am walking well but don't like standing still for too long. It's not painful but I do get stiff with too much standing.
I am finding it tricky at the moment to get the right balance of doing and resting and slip into the overdone it scenario then get grumpy!
Overall I am delighted with both of my new knees and know that as time passes and things settle it will just get better and better.
Hi Pat robynhood love your new avatar.
It's good to read that you are pain free, you never thought that day would come. A great reward for all your hard work and patience.
I can't believe it's the first of December today. Christmas will be here before we know it.
Happy weekend,
Hugs Toothfairy x :kittykiss: :friends: :bicycle2:
 
Wow.... Sunday was such an awesome day!:SUNsmile: I was feeling so good that I decided to go to the meat draw at the pub... (Grey cup was the first Sunday I have missed in many years including last years tkr) I was only using a cane and walking very well.... :groan: .... okay, hobbling very well... I can keep my leg elevated on a chair so I was comfortable and enjoyed the company of all my friends! An outing is always a good thing. I even won :yes!: several tickets on trivia and boneless chicken breasts for tonight's dinner. Yes a good day. I did a half flight of stairs as well.... I am icing a lot today of course but it was totally worth it. :wink: Any time you can find some fun in this very long recovery do it.... Remember you are not sick... just laid up for awhile.
Today they said we might see some wet snow and colder but the precipitation has missed us and although it is colder.... the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day. Not too bad to be stuck inside icing and elevating and being a good girl:angel: I wish you all as beautiful a day!
 
:goodpost:
Lovely update Joy, you are quite right about enjoying the simple pleasures and you have a good recovery strategy.
Sounds like you have got things sorted.
I walked to a friends house on Sunday, not very far but I suddenly became aware that I was striding out at a brisk pace with no difficulty.
These moments when you suddenly realise that you have made a lot of progress are just great.
Have a happy day today,
Hugs
Toothfairy x :wink:
 
Loving your progress reports Joy. Nice to see you are taking things slowly but still managing to get out and enjoy yourself. You are a professional at this. Take it easy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
:flwrysmile: Woo Hoo! 2 weeks! I can not believe how good my new knee feels!:dancy:
I think the ease of this recovery hinges on having my other knee at 13 months before doing the other.... I realized in October at one year that I had regained much of my mobility and that it was just the bad knee dragging behind keeping me back. It felt as if it was going to give out at times... Just like you said about your walk Toothfairy... I caught my self running down our basement stairs and thought "SLOW DOWN, Stupid....:no-fin: Your bad knee won't take this!!!" I was right and was icing the bad knee a couple hours later. But the new knee was great! No problem. That is what is going to get me through these tough early days. I know how good it is going to be. :yes!: I am only a few months away from being able!
So I am icing my knee after making my bed this morning and getting ready to go to Vancouver to my daughter's specialist appointment to see what the MRI says about her knee.... That will be a big day!
Oh Pat.... do I sense a note of sarcasm
Nice to see you are taking things slowly
:giggle: Life is too short to go slow.... Only my new knee gets that luxury.... she can have all the time she wants.... :whistle: ... like I have a choice.
Take care....
Toodles...
 
Great report Joy, I am so pleased things are going so well for you.
Hugs Toothfairy x :kittykiss:
 
Now that I have had some time to ice and elevate I feel so much better. It has been 3 days of running to appointments and doing things that I needed to do. By the time I got home each day I was too tired to post even though I did read my alerts etc.
Wednesday I went in to Vancouver (2 way ferry trip) with my daughter and my husband to see her Specialist to get the results of her MRI on her knee that she "popped" back July 5, 2013. She has been in a wheel chair ever since. The doctor's face was grim as he told us it was way worse than he had thought. She has a complete tear of her ACL. The medial meniscus has a bucket handle tear with displaced fragment flipped into the intercondylar notch and a non displaced vertical tear of the anterior horn. The lateral meniscus has a radial tear of the posterior root with flipped fragment into the intercondylar notch. As well the CT scan showed a the small depression of the articular surface of the lateral femoral codyle from a previous impaction injury. Those are just the highlights. Not good news! She was given the choice of a big surgery or a small one. (not replacement) On the specialist's advice she decided on the small one being arthroscopic to repair all the tears and clean up the menisci etc. and debridement of the ACL. Then wait and see if they have to go back to repair the ACL at a later date. :scratch: It was a tough decision but today when we saw her GP, he agreed that was the best choice as they may not have to do the second surgery. Candice is only 33. I was really hoping my children would not inherit my knee problems. Oh well....:sigh:
Yesterday I saw my GP about my knee... :whistle: no staples to remove as I have a bad metal allergy and had steri strips instead of staples. Renewed my meds and I am good to go.:tada: Then Rob and I stopped to shop for a few minutes on the way home. It really tired me out after the ferry trip to Vancouver the day before. I would have skipped the Dr's with Candice today but it was only an hour and I had questions....
Needless to say I have been home icing, elevating and napping/resting all afternoon. I feel pretty good, I may just go out to the living room and watch the hockey game with Rob. Go Canucks!:yahoo:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?
Wow! what a lot of activity on that knee. I'm not sure I would have made it. So sorry about your daughter's knee. Sure hope the small surgery will be all she needs.


You can multi task tonight by elevating and icing and watching the hockey game all at the same time.

Take care, Creeker13, we care.
 
Thanks Judy.... I did and we won:yay: .... and I am still resting and elevating and icing. All the tissue is feeling bruised where it is getting used to being crushed between all that metal and polyethylene.... :sad: But I really can't complain because this recovery is going so much faster than last time!:egypdance: I did not think that possible.
We are also hoping the one surgery will be enough. Candice has a half flight inside (dry) and another outside (wet) of her apartment to 'bum shuffle' down to go out anywhere. This entails getting out of her wheel chair and sliding down on her butt and then getting back into her wheel chair. When the weather changes she will have a wet bum when she goes out anywhere.:shrug: It just goes to show where there is a will there is a way. Rob will pick her up this afternoon as it is a Legion day.... She runs the ticket table for the meat draw at the Legion. I just hope it will not be a long wait for the surgery.... She is on the cancellation list. :thumb:
Have a great day... I am going to see if I can win dinner.:cheers: :giggle:
 
Well.... I didn't win at Meat Draw.:cry: Oh, boo hoo! I still had a nice outing with my friends!:cheers:
I spent Monday resting up for my first PT on Tuesday. I really like my therapist, Cathy.... We did lots of hamstring stretches and went over the new stuff for me to do. I am doing so well that she only wants to see me once more before Christmas.... so today ....:groan: ow, ow, ow! My gluteus maximus is sore and my knee achy.:groan: Nice ice, baby!
I had planned a nice quiet day resting and icing but not to be.... my sweetie took me out for a very nice Chinese buffet lunch for our anniversary.:friends: It was a nice drive to Sechelt, a town just north of here. We stopped at the store I work at for a couple of things and I am done. I have been on my bed resting and doing the drill for the rest of the afternoon. Another reasonably good day!
I hope you are all happy and healing!:thumb:
 
CREEKER!!!!! Did you have your surgery 3 weeks ago ? If you did sounds as if you are well ahead of schedule. Totally amazing. Im 59 days pre op and have been reading this forum everyday since Thanksgiving . Thats when I found out I was going to get rtkr. Ive read tons of threads but most of them have expressed dissapointment with their progression. I suppose having had your other knee replaced gives you a barometer. Well its great to hear a positive story. Gives me a little hope. Happy Holiday
 
icep707 Yes, 3 weeks... :ok: I seem to be the poster child for how every surgery should go. I cannot believe it myself that I was blessed with a second surgery that is going as well as the first... maybe even better.
I used to be a truck driver climbing up and down off the back of a 5 ton all day... PT and I think my over developed leg muscles may have something to do with it. It was also the reason for 3 knee blowouts from slipping or falling. I had to quit the job at 42 because I could no longer deal with the physical demands of the job... :groan: not young or a man.
I know from my first tkr that early on, like this, not to push hard cause it just makes everything swell so I rest before and after activities (and during). There are things I have to do but for the most part I follow the mantra... elevate, ice, and rest and take meds by the clock. My bedroom has my computer, a TV, and most of my needs set up within reach by cane or grabber, my nest.
I recommend a chiro cuff (mine is air cast brand) for icing.... Roy recommended it to me and I was glad I spent the money as it makes it easy to ice anytime without getting up all the time for fresh ice packs... especially my first tkr ... my husband could set it up for me before he left for work and it was cold until the evening change for overnight icing.
I had 35+ years of osteoarthritis knee pain, worsening with each injury, to the point I could not do many of the things I needed to do. :sad: I gave up on many activities I liked because of the instability of my knees. Feeling the humiliation of falling in front of people who did not understand why I fell....:thud: no, I was not just the fat woman who was out of shape.... :hairpulling: I am very glad I had my rtkr and was determined to not wait so long to have the left one done. The 13 months between, while my right knee healed, I felt the strength and stability return.:dancy: The little milestones everyone experiences as you heal can seem slow in coming but are totally worth the wait. I am looking forward to this summer in my garden and at work with my 2 new strong knees!:yes!: I can go swimming again without my knees snapping in and out of joint... :egypdance: Hiking on the rough terrain in the forest where I live without falling down because I stepped on an uneven bit of ground or a stick or small stone. :happydance:
Yes, there is hope. It is nice to get your life back.
 
Well, how the heck are ya? I logged on to see how you were and was reading someone else's thread before I realized it wasn't yours! I'm glad all is going well, as I knew it would. You are an old hand at this knee replacement stuff. I have a comment about your daughter. First, I'm sorry the damage is so bad. Second, it is almost the same as my injury in 1980. I blew (completely tore) ACL skiing then continued to reinjure it for some years. Back then they didn't have arthroscopic and I just had to wait. In 1996 I finally got the arthroscopic and it made so much difference! The ACL was still gone but the knee felt tighter and worked great for the next 14-15 years. So this is all to say to her, have heart, it will get better (at least for now). Also, you can pretty much walk out of the arthroscopy altho she probably has some atrophy having been out of commission for a while.
It sounds like you have your recovery well in hand and I'm so happy for the new life ahead for you, free of knee pain. :huggy santa:
 
Thanks Randi.... nice to hear from ya..... I just emailed you.
I figured you would get to read all the drama here... I had arthroscopic on both knees in the 90's and each one made things much better! I will pass on your message. She will be glad to hear. We have are working on getting her custom knee brace soon so it is in place for her rehab. Too bad she didn't break her leg.... it would have been healed by now.
I am doing better than last time... I am trying to start doing a little more each day but 15 to20 minutes and it is time to do the mantra.... and maybe have a nap! You know!
How are you doing? And Lindsey and that new hip? :luv4y:
 
Well 4 weeks was Tuesday and I am basically there...:spin: bend is 120 and almost straight when I stand. :dancy:My PT is regaining my balance and strengthening the muscles in their new position... :happydance:nice to have straight legs again!
I still get very tired and have to limit my activities to short periods up or it swells and I can't sleep because of the aching:gaah:.... motivation for taking it slow. It is still ice, elevate and rest! I am off the heavy duty pain meds but still taking prescription codeine and acetaminophen tablets. I tried to lessen them the other day when I was feeling invincible:yay: but by 2 dosage times it was very apparent I was premature:gaah: with that low of a dose and I raised it up a bit:umm: and felt much better.
Must go. I have much to do.... Have a great day youse guys!:thumb: healing vibes to all!
 
Well, we got 4 inches of snow yesterday and everyone has lost their minds:rolleyes:.... No one here knows how to drive in the slushy wet stuff we get and they go too slow so impatient people pass and end up in the ditch or they brake hard and slide into ditch, cars, or anything else in their way.:doh: But it was pretty to see and half melted away today.:sad:
I donned my arctic pack boots I wear twice a year and went shopping with my hubby for the salad makings for the dinner @ the Legion Friday night. The boots were a bit much and they were heavy but my feet were warm and dry. No one shovels the stuff so there are puddles of slush everywhere.:shrug:Shopping, then a couple hour making the salad, dinner at the pub.... I was really ready for rest and ice when I got home!!! :tada:
This morning I felt pretty good.... been resting most of the day but not hurting.... corner turned! It is wonderful!:giggle:
 
:xmas-merry::xmasdance::xmas-1: A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU JOY AND WISHING YOU WEALTH HEALTH AND HAPPINESS FOR 2014. :gbhouse::ereindeer::huggy santa:
 
:bells:Good morning all my Bonesmart friends..... :bells:


:mer xm:
I would like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season.
Merry Christmas to all. Peace and Prosperity in the New Year!

:huggy santa:XOX :huggy santa:
 
Hi Joy, great progress.
Happy Christmas to you and yours and I hope 2014 will be a happy and healthy year for you,
Hugs, Toothfairy x
:santa::xmas-tree::xmas-merry:
 
@jeano
I waited for 25+ years for the first knee surgery on almost equally bad knees.:hairpulling: They were not bad enough to do at 34 but I was told "Someday".:whistle: The OS said I would have to be 60. My very active life style and injuries exacerbated everything and at 57 we did my first surgery. My GP sent me to the OS when I said I was falling a lot. I think I was over due. I was gradually limiting what I was doing because of the pain and inability to do pretty basic activities. It was time and I had my first one done...:umm:
At my 6 week check up I asked my OS when he would do the other. He checked the x-rays ("Oh!... That is bad!") and put me back on the list. He seemed to think that many people do not want to do the second right away because it is a tough surgery to recover from....:yikes: and I have to agree that many people feel that way... it shows here on this site. I also think he doesn't like to do bilateral. My quality of life was suffering too much... I wanted it back. I am too young to be this old! So... I pushed for #2.:scratch: To me, a no brainer!
I was amazed what I gradually was able to do after #1. In the 13 months while I waited to get enough hours at work for sick pay to kick in again was an amazing journey, from unstable knees that felt like they were going to slide off the tibial plateau and falling if I rolled my ankle a little on a tuft of grass or a small stone, to one knee that compensated for the other and allowed me to climb stairs again, get up on our tractor and work in my garden more easily. I knew with the second one done I would be able to carry on my life with 2 good legs.:dancy:
After #2 my back ache from the shorter bad knee dragging along because the angle of my leg from the knee down was about 15 degrees off straight (I had not noticed it until the first knee was fixed and straight), has gone away. I can go up stairs now left, right, left, right:yay: and do not have to struggle dragging myself up with 2 hands on the railing or avoid them all together and walk up the wheel chair ramp. If I slip a bit I do not fall, I can catch myself. Are you ready.... drum roll..... I can put on my underwear:blush: first one foot then the other, standing, without leaning against something!!!!:yes!: Jeans are a little harder... I still have to catch my balance between legs.:thumb:
Everyone is different.... for me it was a given. I am glad I went ahead because I feel the recovery is faster while I am in good health. I am able to exercise and keep my weight down now and keep my high BP and diabetes in check rather than sit around wallowing in pain 24/7 thinking of the things I'd like to be doing and can no longer.
I can go for a hike with Jazz my dog.:puppysmooze:
It has been a giant win for me!:yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom