TKR Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:goodpost:I totally agree Joy,
I feel the same way.
Hooray for knee replacement surgery,
Have a great day,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Still Looking Forward..... is there any other way?
bottomshollow
 
Hope everyone had a good Christmas!:cheers:
Ours was uneventful which was nice as that means nothing bad happened! I supervised Rob cooking turkey and my girls and a boyfriend hung out for the evening.
I got some cleaning and organizing done rolling around on my desk chair in between "doing"! I can be on my feet for 3-4 hours but then I really need to sit because of the swelling. It works better if I do half an hour and sit for 20 minutes and do a little more and rest etc. That way I can do a lot!
I am now doing our basement stairs once a day down and then up concentrating on straight foot placement left then right. When walking I work on controlling my step placing heel down and rolling off the toe. I have overcome limping by doing this with both knees.
I kept up the pain killers until I wasn't in much pain and can get by with acetaminophen and naproxen, non-prescription. The overnight painkillers were the last I dropped because sleep is so important for healing. When my leg gets sore I stop doing everything and follow the mantra.:bow: This kind of soreness is easier to take than the constant bone on bone pain pre surgery but it is no walk in the park.:umm: :giggle:
:martini:Have a good New Years and be safe. :cheers2: Rob is barbequing rib steaks and we will see what is on the telly. :beer:See you at the Party for a few minutes Judy! :cheers2:
 
:happydance:Woo Hoo!!!! Tuesday was 6 weeks!.... Friday I was kicked from PT.... I have 130 just like my right knee!!!! My balance on both feet is good and all I need to do is keep stretching my quads... They are still a little tight when I have a straight leg. :happydance:
We discussed that I am doing our basement stairs for strengthening and I can feel the muscles improving each time. There is less "thump" on my right foot going down using new knee and none on my left@ 15 months post RTKR. I still need the railing going up with the left as well but it sure beats where I was 18 months ago when I was avoiding stairs altogether whenever I could.
WOO HOO! Thank you Dr. Sabiston for 2 perfect surgeries. Now it is up to me to keep the momentum going with exercises to regain my full abilities. I do have to say.... I worked hard on the resting while I healed. I often took all day to do my exercises in the first 3 weeks... Less is more! I also have to work up the stamina, I can only do 1.5 to 2 hours standing on my feet and I am done and must rest....:groan:It's time for a coffee by then any way!!!!:mcoffee:
I am on my way outside to help Rob clear a little patch of bramble from a walkway. It is clear and sunny but frosty. I will catch up with you all later..... Good healing vibes to you all!!!!:bicycle1:
 
I saw my OS on Wednesday for my 6 week check up at 8 weeks. I told him I was a little swollen and sore from doing 4 hours of yard work on Monday, pulling bramble. He said it is great physiotherapy. He said "You are done.... see you in a year!:yes!: I think Rob was suffering as much as I as his back is kicking up..... Getting old sucks!:groan:
I am paying for overdoing though.... I have been stiff and achy for several days and my knees say rest after just a little time standing. This morning I feel pretty good and hope to do a little gardening when the frost burns off.:SUNsmile: It is that time of year! Time to clean up and prep for the coming season on the nice days. This is what has kept me going through the recovery process.... Being able to get back into my garden... Smaller one this year and next year I can go whole hog! :umm:Hmmmm..... piggies would be nice. :heehee:
Have a good day everyone!
 
Hi Joy, I've just popped by to say hello and catch up with you. Sounds like you are doing marvellously with your recovery. I am so pleased for you. Have a great weekend,
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
:happydance:Hey Joy! I'm glad to hear it's going well. Thinking of you and wishing you well.
 
Hello Joy,
How are you doing? I hope you are continuing to make good progress. Is a lovely feeling to know that both knees are done and progress is being made. A almost a year for knee one and close to 6 months for knee 2 I am delighted with my quality of life.
It's miserable weather here at the moment, exceptionally wet and lots of flooding. I am pleased we live high on a hill!
Take care, Toothfairy x
 
OMG Joy I feel like I am reading things wrong....looking at your surgery date of November 2013 and you have 130 flex!!! And did 4 hours of yard work! Even though you had to pay for it a bit still you have had an amazing recovery and should feel so proud of yourself and obviously fabulous doctor.
Congratulations!!!!! xoxo Brownie
 
Hi all!
Wow It was 3 months on the 19th and I am doing great! I will be going back to work middle of next month. There are some landmarks.... With the right knee (first knee /16 months) I can lift up an 18 inch step without help of my arms. I have the framework for a 30 foot cold frame in place and have one more day to put the poly on it.... and I will be finished!!! I am so pleased to get it to the point that I can do 4 to 6 hours of work with only a couple breaks to get by.
Thanks @rlwintin Think about you and Lindsey too.... Hope all is going well for you guys!
@Brownie51 I hope your first day went well.... I can't take credit for being lucky enough to heal well but you are quite right.... My Dr. was wonderful! I thank my stars!
@Toothfairy I am glad you live on a hill too.... The international news shows the worst of course but you in the UK and the Eastern USA have had it so tough this year! The weather sucks... we in the south coastal rainforest of BC have had a dry winter and with it the worry of a very dry summer if the snow pack is not deep enough. We may have a bad summer, water wise. You are doing well too! It really is wonderful when your quality of life surpasses what we hope for.... :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Joy so pleased to hear from you on the forum. Glad you are doing well and recovering quickly from your 2nd TKR. I don't come on the forum very often but have a feeling I might be returning in the near future. Not sure what's going on with my non op knee wether I've pulled a muscle while exercising or it is the arthritis getting worse. I certainly don't have the bone on bone pain I experienced with the first knee yet. There's an open evening at my hospital next week and my consultant will be there so I'm going and hope to have a word with him. So nice to talk to you again. Take Care
 
Wow.... Such nice weather 2 weeks ago, I was out in my garden building my new 30 foot cold frame in just a t shirt and jeans.... Last week we got a foot of snow and it is back to winter. Usually it snows and then rains and it is all gone in 2 to 3 days... Not this time, still snow on the ground. The highlight of the real winter weather is I was out in my pack boots and had no trouble getting around!!! Woooo Hoooo! :thankyou:to the healing gods!!!! :bow: It felt good being able to walk and play with Jazz in the snow and do for the chickens without worrying about falling.... and no pain!!! I can walk up stairs without holding the railing and my knees aren't swelling like they used to! Only if I really overdo.
I am guessing the realignment of my legs has a lot to do with it! I can walk right and no longer roll like a drunken sailor on rough seas. :loll:
Luck to all.... catch ya next time!
 
What a wonderful update Joy. How lovely to hear that things are going so well for you.
Stay warm in the snow,
Hugs Toothfairy x
 
Great update, creeker--winter without fear!
 
Wow!!!!:dancy: 4 months on the left knee and 17 months on the right.... Success! I can do things I was unable to do for the last 20 years. I do get tired faster (I am 20 years older after all.)
I return to work tomorrow. That will build my stamina quickly now that the major part of healing is done. I expect to be resting and icing once again for a bit. Standing for 8 hours is tough but it is part time and I asked my GM to space my days so I have the day after off for a bit. We will see....
There is no secret.... The Bonesmart mantra WORKS. Heavy on the rest!!!! Over and over I see people discussing how much exercising they are doing like they want a metal.... :gaah:Easy, not forced exercises and lots of rest (and ice) in between is what you do. It will work better to do many short bouts of activities and rest in between. That has worked great for me. All the 'no pain no gain' attitude does is cause pain and swelling causing more pain.:no-fin::groan:
I am looking forward to the one year point I hit with my first knee. I suddenly realized there was no pain in my new knee and that I had not noticed my knee hurting going up a couple steps, in a few weeks.:yes!:
Thank you all for your time and support over the past 18 months.... You all rock!!!!!:flwrysmile:Happy healing. :bicycle1: Sun has come out and the garden is calling. Catch ya next time!!!
 
Okay... worked yesterday, 8 hour shift.... my new knees rocked! :spin: new one was bit sore and I needed a sit down in time for 1/2 hour lunch.... feet up.... first knee needed sit down in time for coffee break.... feet up.... end of shift my feet were sore.:tada: I stiffened up by finish of dinner.... some swelling :groan:but all in all not too bad! Nothing a couple bevvies:beer: didn't cure.:heehee: My biggest problem was a disconnected battery cable when I went to start my car to go home... :hairpulling: fortunately my hubby:angel: came to my rescue and put the wire back on (no tools in the car and I was too tired to deal with it) This morning my knees are good again but my arm hurts from reaching for the receipt and my neck is sore from turning to look at the customer and back to the cash register. It sucks to get old! :gaah:
I work tomorrow again tomorrow and back to back Monday and Tuesday that will be the real test! :wink:
:flwrysmile:HAPPY SPRING EVERYONE!!!:flwrysmile: It only gets better from here!:thumb:
 
Loving your post Joy. Good to see you are working 8 hour shifts and still smiling at the end of it. Good for you and your two new knees. Its nice the think that spring is on its way and days will be brighter and longer. It's the first summer I've really looked forward to for a long time. So be. Happy, don't work too hard and Take Care. Love hearing from you.:flwrysmile:
 
:catdance::bricks::dogwalk::flwrysmile::wow: I can not believe how much time has passed since I was here last! I am now a week past 19 months on knee #1 and 6 months on knee #2.... It is great! :wowspring:
I am back to work in the garden center.:loveshwr: I find the 8 hour shift daunting right now as it is planting season and so busy. I am shifting onto my right leg (#1) at the register to make change and by the end of the day I get a burning feeling just above the numb area and it aches. :gaah:As things slow down it will be better as I move about more and do not do as much repetitive motion. I think there is more feeling in the numb area but that could be wishful thinking, although it is a smaller area than before. My left knee is not giving me any trouble and is becoming stronger every day.
I have my own veg garden started after 3 years without planting and am adding crops as I get time. :flwrysmile:This is the prime planting time for crops in our area that take more heat and dryer conditions. We have been eating salad off my cold frame bed for a month now. My tomatoes are in pots on my deck and growing well!
I am finding my balance is also getting better all the time too. It was the issue that decided it was time to do the first knee... falling because I could not catch my balance because my knees were too unstable and would not hold to support me. When I trip, stumble or step on uneven ground I can catch my balance now and just carry on.... such a small thing but so important! I no longer have to avoid rough ground.
Other things on my list of accomplishments:
-I can do stairs even with hands full... Uneven steps are a challenge because of the balance involved and lifting my foot high enough. Some of this I blame on my bifocal glasses but it is getting easier as I do more stairs and no longer avoid them.
-I can do a half squat to pick things up off the floor.... it has been 10 to 15 years since I could do this without bending at the waist and making my back do all the lift.
-getting up off the floor has become simpler... I can roll onto my knees and with my legs bent some, push up to get up.
-I can crawl on my knees too.
-My balance is improving I can stand on one foot to put on my jeans without falling over.
-I can go for long walks with my dog :dogwalk:on the trails on the mountain we live on. No worries about the steepness or unevenness and loose gravel.
The down side is I get leg cramps quite a bit as I rebuild and realign leg muscles.:bath: Standing at work does not help this.... There is still the numb area on both knees, sometimes a blessing if I overdo.
I am so pleased with my recovery from both surgeries... I can not believe how limited my life was becoming because of the mobility issues I was experiencing. My life is becoming so full as I build my muscles up again and I do more things that I used to. I have my life back! :happyfeet:
Best healing wishes to all! Have a great day!:catdance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joy :friends:What a joy to read your thread. You sound so Happy and are doing so well. You have achieved so much with both your knees and I applaud you. It was so good to hear from you. Take Care. Hugs Pat :happyfeet:


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom