Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to everyone and I hope each and every one of you has a wonderful holiday. It's been 4-1/2 weeks now since I broke my foot ..... I see my doctor between Christmas and New Years. I'm also starting P.T. with the gal I originally had after my RTKR. She's very good and I'm glad to be going to her for this knee. This knee is no better than it was, and wearing the brace is getting a little old. My doctor did take the cast/boot off but told me to wear very supportive athletic shoes and if it began to hurt, to put the boot back on. So far so good ... I got a pair of Asics and they seem to be doing the trick. Christmas is a tough time for me ... I'm here alone, since I don't like to take a chance with the weather to drive to my daughters' homes, and memories of childhood Christmas' were anything but good. I do wish you all a wonderful holiday and a healthy and peaceful new year.
Blessings,
Barb (abby)
 
I'm a bit conflicted about a move. I'll make this brief because I know this forum isn't for this type of thing. My X
lives down there ... he is a Narcissist. He sent me an e-mail listing at least 10 things I "should" be sure to do while planning my move .... he always knows best! So he thinks. Do I want to move to an area where I have to, even occasionally, deal with that? Here I am peaceful .... there it's questionable. Food for thought.
Barb (abby)
 
Oh my goodness bless your heart. Xxxx I had same trouble. But I said stop please. Your hurting me.


SonnysWife❤️
 
I'm a bit conflicted about a move. I'll make this brief because I know this forum isn't for this type of thing. My X
lives down there ... he is a Narcissist. He sent me an e-mail listing at least 10 things I "should" be sure to do while planning my move .... he always knows best! So he thinks. Do I want to move to an area where I have to, even occasionally, deal with that? Here I am peaceful .... there it's questionable. Food for thought.
Barb (abby)
Unless you could set boundaries for him, I'd sure think twice about that.
 
Barb,
You have a lot on your plate, your knee, the broken foot, and the upcoming move, Whew.
I can understand your hesitancy about your X living nearby. Jamie is right you will have to set boundaries with him if you decide to move.
I hope your old PT can help you with your knee and foot.
 
Clipless .... they sure are the ultimate love sponge. Molly was one of the breeding females in a puppy mill. She was 4 when they rescued her .... she was no longer giving "perfect" dogs, and was due to be shot by the mill the next day. Fortunately the rescue group went in and got her and several others. I've had her for 4 years, so she's now 8. When I got her, she was afraid of grass, and I had to teach her to go up and down steps. She absolutely hated men. But, no more .... she's the happiest little thing, tail never stops wagging. I'm so glad I have her, and a white cat names Daisy.
Barb (abby)
 
Here I am again .... my knee is killing me today, so it's back in the brace. My foot is again swollen and somewhat sore, so I'm trying to figure out this 2 layer boot thing that goes up to my knee to put that back on for awhile. I don't know who designed it, but it's a nightmare. Well, I have a lot of days to take care of them, so hopefully that will help. Then there's P.T. after the holidays.
Barb (abby)
:scratch:
 
It can take a little bit to figure these things out. I used to have trouble getting the straps in the right place :oyvey:at first when I used an unloader brace before my tkr.
 
kneeper ..... I finally gave up on the boot and have put on the shoe type .... it has 2 velcro straps, and I've got 2 pairs of socks on, so it's good and tight. It's raining like crazy here, so my knee is virtually screaming! Wow ..... what a day!
Barb (abby)
:froggies:
 
Hi Nana .... it was good to hear from you. I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. Things are a bit hectic around here. I'll be moving about 4 hours away to the very western portion of Virginia, near where my girls live. They finally convinced me to do it. Practically speaking, I know it's right, but it's hard to pull up roots and go after living in this county since 1971. So, I'm in the middle of a mess ..... going through things, sorting, sending to Good Will, some to Consignment, some to my kids, blah, blah, blah.
Otherwise, my left foot that I broke seems better ..... I go to the doctor this week and he'll probably x-ray it. I don't feel anything there anymore except now and then a bit of a "zing." As for my knee, I just wear the knee brace all the time. Some days it seems better and next day it's awful. I'm starting P.T. this week with the lady I had before (NOT the young man who did all this!). I'm really hoping P.T. helps .... this has gone on for over 3 years, longer if you count my 2 meniscectomies about 10 and 12 years ago, and I'm just plain tired. I'm totally out of shape ..... I walk 1-2 full blocks and I'm out of breath. That was never me. I've ordered a mini-stepper to use here, and if it doesn't hurt, I've just got to get back in shape. I was never like this. The revision was fine and would have gone well except for that young P.T. guy.
Thanks so much for asking. And how are you coming along? Give me an update on how you're feeling?
I'm putting at the bottom of this note my stats because I can't seem to get them over under my picture of Molly, my Cavalier.
Take care and bring me up to date on you .......
Barb (abby)
12 years ago - 1st meniscectomy
10 years ago - 2nd meniscectomy
- then between this, shots and shots and more shots and aspirations -
MRI
3 years ago - RTKR #1
2 years ago - cleaning out of scar tissue in RTKR
October, 2014 - revision (second RTKR - first one was loose)
October, 2014 (end)- went to P.T. and he injured my right inside medial collateral ligament
- wearing brace
Jan. 2015 - going back to P.T. with excellent P.T.
 
Oh good luck with the move. I think it is the right move for you. It will be nice to be near your family. I'm very overweight, my BMI has shot to 31, I'm very unfit but I am trying to move more and walk a bit every day.

Ok you asked for an update. The revision has undoubtedly worked and is getting stronger, as long as I don't overdo it. Before revision I had shots and aspiration in my TKR to try to get the swelling down, none worked. He realised that the patella was catching on the joint. That's how come I ended up having a Revision in September

I think my left knees gone totally, the pain comes through the morphine.

The other hospital had said they'd do another X-ray in September and if it hadn't deteriorated too much, they'd try to save the knee but when I got there they said I'd been discharged to the care of the surgeon who'd stood in at their hospital and done my op. I got sent away.

I explained what had happened at my 4 week revision check up with the OS and explained about the other hospital saying I was no longer their patient. He asked what date I'd had the X-rays done. I told him 24th Feb. He got the X-rays up and shook his head. He asked my husband if he could see the X-rays on his screen. My husband said he could but didn't understand them. The OS said to us both that he didn't know what the other hospital were going to save as there was nothing to save it had already gone. It's got tricompartmental osteoarthritis, arthritis behind the patella and said something about there being no synovial fluid. I burst into tears as I didn't want another knee replacement. He said it needs replacing but he would be prepared to do an arthroscopy to see if that would help but he didn't feel that would do it because of the state of the joint. So he said an X-ray of both knees will be done on 27th January. He warned me that the next X-ray would be almost 12 months on from the last and he expected to see a not too good result. He asked me to think and consider what I wanted to do.

It's due to be X-rayed at the same time as my TKR on January 27th. He and I will discuss what next. I've decided that if it's that bad it might as well be done.

Sorry to have to explain this so much but it's what happened.

Anyway. Good luck with your move. I do hope that you stay in touch xx

Love Ann xxx
 
Oh my Nana, you've really been through it, and you've been jerked around by the doctors too! I really feel sorry for you. How frustrated you must be. Do you ever wonder why we get these things? I know why my right knee went but now my left knee is hurting. I know my Dad had arthritis and oddly enough my 42 year old daughter has RA. I just wonder why all this is so prevalent. I definitely will keep in touch after I move .... probably need you all even more as I'll be looking for an Ortho. Surgeon. I dread all that! Am I reading this right, but are you having both knees done at the same time? I know of people who have done that and have done well, but wow, it sure sounds brutal. Do take care of yourself ..... please let me know how you're feeling. We are just TOO YOUNG to have all this going on (in my head, I'm too young :loll:)
I've tried to set up a signature .... now I'll see if it shows up. Barb (abby)
 
Hi Barb

Have you had hydrotherapy? I've had a couple of sessions before Christmas and they are good. Just don't overdo it because the water supports you but you can still over do it!! It's worth talking to your PT or OS about. I'm glad your foots improved that was a worry on top of coping with a rough knee x

You are still fairly early in your revision recovery really. So because you are packing and sorting, this may be taking it's toll on your knee as well x I do hope you can get it sorted x


Just to clarify i have already had my left knee replaced on January 2nd, 2014. In June I had cortisone shots and aspiration as the TKR was so swollen. Just minutes before I was due to have it he felt my TKR and told me that he had found a problem but would go ahead with the cortisone shots and aspiration anyway. The aspiration and shots worked but not for long. By the time I went to follow up appointment it had swollen up again. He felt the knee and diagnosed my patellar catching on the knee joint. By end of August I was back on two crutches and scarcely able to walk any sort if reasonable distance.

I was booked in for September for a quick op, with an overnight stay. My husband was there when the OS said this.

I was awake for the surgery having had a spinal block. The time was 9.30. I had no relaxants I didn't need them. I had the original TKR done this way and I was fine. I came out of theatre at 11.50. I didn't find out for three days I had received a full revision. It was only when a young doctor sat and explained to me that they'd had to do more than they thought. He explained that the revision meant I'd be back at the start of recovery the same as having a TKR. I have to say straight away it felt great. I've had pain issues etc but that's being dealt with.

I get on very well with this OS despite the fact that I had problems. He does tell you straight if there's a problem.

So although I'll be having both knees X-rayed. The X-ray on the TKR is to check all is well still and the other one is potentially going to confirm it's needs a replacement. I will ask him though if he will do a cortisone shot in my left knee as the pain is breaking through morphine. When I go downstairs, it feels like it's broken inside, which is exactly how the other one went. I shudder to even think what the pain would be like with this one if I wasn't already medicated xx

I agree about the youth thing but there's a young lady aged 36 new to the forum, username is Angel1978 who's had a new knee xx there appears to be a rising number of younger people having TKR's xxx

I think that it would be interesting to look at the percentage results of this using the forum data.

That's me being a bit more me, analytical, questioning. I thought I'd lost it all!!

When are you actually moving? Xxx

Take care
Love Ann xxx
 
Looks like it is all in your signature now, :thumb:
Hope your knee starts feeling better soon, and am glad your foot is on the mend.
 
Hi Ann .... wow, you've sure had a round of it. You know ..... I never really thought I was still in the early stages of recovery from the revision. Somehow it never occurred to me, but it was not that long ago, since it was close to the end of October. My surgeon never suggested water therapy, but that sounds good. I'll ask my P.T. when I go on Monday. You have made me feel better by reminding me that some of the pain may be still from the revision - thank you friend.
My O.S. is rather "in and out" at appointments. They've always been very busy ( there are 12 doctors in the practice), but since our new healthcare system has been implemented, well, it seems you barely have time to ask them anything. I write questions down and sometimes just rattle them off as fast as I can.
My O.S. has told me that about half of his patients are my age and the other half are folks in their 30's and 40's. He said they have destroyed their knees by jogging. Now when I drive by a jogger I want to open my car window and loudly say, "do you know what you're doing to your knees?" I don't, but I sure want to.
I plan to be moving late Spring or early Summer. I have a girlfriend coming from another state this month for several days who is going to give me a hand packing. There's a lot I can get rid of. I don't know how in the world I've accumulated all this stuff. I know this is the right decision for me, but I'm still conflicted ... it's hard moving.
I had a spinal block for the revision too .... sooooo much better than the first time around when I was put to sleep. I do not remember 1 thing about that 3-day hospital stay. I often joke that I could have been in a closet. I didn't want that to happen again ...... too creepy.
I've been wearing the knee brace all the time during the day .... it helps with the balance and pain. And I take Ibuprofen .... sometimes 2 and sometimes 4 (Rx strength). I can't get through the day without it. I have Vicodin, but I don't take them ..... frankly, I'm afraid of them.
I sure hope this whole thing heals soon .... I'd love to be able to hike and whitewater raft this summer. But then, my left knee has been hurting for over a year ...... not unbearable, but enough to know it's not happy. Oh dear. Take care Ann and I'll talk to you soon.
Barb :hiking::kayak:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom