Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, Jamie, and Pumpkin, I feel exactly like you do. I frankly don't particularly want to be his learning guinea pig. My knee still hurts even though I'm wearing the brace. I'll go Monday and give it one more try, and that just may be it. I was doing so very well before, and now I get this guy. Feel like I should have let well enough alone and not gone anywhere.
abby
 
Hi @amberpep

I thought I'd pop across and see how you're getting on. I read something about the staples hurting. Well bizarrely after my TKR in January, those staples came out a treat. After the revision last month, the nurse came to the house to remove them. Oh my goodness, the ones towards the top had grown into the skin and the scab. There were approx 5 like that in total. Like you three at the top and two just down the curve of the knee. Sharp intakes of breath and tears rolling down my face, bit of blood from the stubborn ones that had grown in yuk!!!

I'm in agreement with the others about your PT. I went for my first session since the op and was amazed at how different the approach is this time around x very gentle, take your time, don't push or over do, don't over extend and so on.

It annoyed me to read that you ended up in such awful pain you had to hold on to your bed and then to end up in a leg brace is absolutely disgraceful. You've gone through enough.

Then your poor dog, oh these vets cash in every time. I glad he/she's ok now. I was ever so worried when i read what you found in the cage. Then having to clean up mess like that after this surgery. My heart went out to you. It really did

I wish you a good, steady recovery Abby, your a lovely person and you dont deserve to be manhandled or someone's learning curve!!!

Take care, I will pop in again soon

Love Nana moon 27 (Ann) xox bug hug for you and a belly rub for the dog!!!


I know that the dog in the cartoon is 100x bigger than yours but I thought this was amusing. Hope it cheers you up a bit xxx

[Bonesmart.org] Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep
 
Nana Moon ..... hi ..... it was so good to hear from you, and thank you for your kind words. I guess I'm just plain worn out. I don't want to go back to him, and like I said this is his last chance. I'm tired of wearing this brace 24/7, and the fact that it was so good before I went to him infuriates me. I'm very tired, and I guess my biggest concern right now is that it will never get better and change. My dog, Molly, is fine now, but I'm finding that every little thing is irritating me, from her following me everywhere to my kitty sitting and staring at me. I'd love to pack a bag and head to the seashore for a few days, just to relax and "drop all this stuff."
Again, thank you so very much for your sweet note. I really do appreciate it.
abby :mooncat:
 
Hi Abby

Maybe when you are feeling a bit better, could you book a short break or day out somewhere nice with a friend to split the cost? Do you have someone who could look after the pets ?

When you've had a long recovery such as this, it does take it's toll on you emotionally. For four days on the trot, the carpets needed vacuuming. It was more than I could stand! Irritated was an understatement, sometimes even my kids get on my nerves although they're grown up and mean well.

You sound like you need to get away xxx good luck with the PT and I would let him know what he's done to you since the last session. Take no prisoners, victory will be yours!!!

Take care
Love Ann xxxx
 
You have to take care of yourself and not worry about giving this PT "another chance." He doesn't have to live with your knee, you do.
 
Well, I tried to add to my info. and now it's all gone ..... sigh...................

Anyhow .... this is Amberpep, i.e. Abby, real i.e. Barb.
Now to an update ..... That P.T. injured my medial collateral ligament, which is crucial in helping us keep our balance. I'm now wearing a brace on my right knee til it heals, which I understand could take awhile. My sense of balance has been off since this happened and I'm very, very, careful about not scurrying around too fast. Well, Friday I was in a hurry, trying to get things sorted out (I am moving end of May - early June) and I felt my knee cave in ..... down I went. Finally, when I got up, which wasn't easy as you all know, I thought I'd broken the last 2 toes ..... no big deal .... I taped them together with the next one .... about all you can do. I couldn't sleep that night with my foot hurting. Got up in the AM with a swollen, black and blue, painful foot. It was a Sat. so I went to one of the Urgent Care places around here, they x-rayed my foot, and sure enough, the foot is broken. They cast it, gave me a short "walking" boot, and crutches I'm to use. For the life of me I cannot manipulate those crutches without almost falling again. So, I'm using a cane. So now both legs are messed up. I'm beginning to wonder "when is this all going to end?" I'm going to see my Ortho. Surgeon on Weds. as a checkup for my knee, but now also for the foot. I will get there, even if I have to take a cab.
Thanks for listening,
Barb (abby)
 
:console2:
Healing thoughts and prayers your way. I hear you when you say when will this end.
Let us know what the orthopedist says.
Pox on the therapist.
 
Oh @amberpep

You must be feeling so angry and frustrated with this situation. I'm glad you got an appointment with your OS. I just can't imagine how you are managing all that's happening. A broken foot and knee in a brace. Ouch!!!! I do hope the PT is being spoken to about your treatment being mishandled.

Please keep in touch with us. We are here for you. That's the whole point of this site x good luck Barb x x x

Love Ann xx
 
Hi Ann .... well I'll admit I'm discouraged, and angry at that P.T. guy. My O.S. really wrote him quite a sharp note and told him specifically what he was not to do. Now this. I was to go to my daughters 4 hours away for Thanksgiving and for that week .... now that's out. I'm sleeping in my lounge chair - just easier that way.
 
Oh how disappointing, Barb. I so feel for you. Would your daughter be able to come to you and do Thanksgiving at your place?

I was fed up today. I wanted to see my youngest granddaughters dance show. I couldn't go. My daughter was worried about the size and the angle of the chairs, so I had to miss out. Then someone said I should have loaned a wheel chair just for a few hours. The other problem was transport. I could have got a cab but it's quite a distance into the school hall/theatre from where it would've stopped. I would have had to go alone and couldn't face it xx

I hope you manage sleep. I'm tired but my brain won't switch off XX

Love Ann xxx
 
Hi Nana ... I hate when my brain won't turn off .... might as well get up and read a book. Trouble with them all coming here is, except for my son who lives outside of D.C. everyone else lives down there. Maybe someone will bring me a plate of turkey dinner next Thursday ..... that would be nice.
I'm going to see my OS Weds. for my knee .... he'll probably say "what in the world did you do now?" I wish I could learn how to use these crutches ...... they're like chopsticks flying all over the place. (I've very coordinated ....... NOT!)
Take care my friend ad let me know how you are doing.
Barb :tennis2:decided it's best not to do this today!!!!!!:heehee:
 
Why do you have to use crutches? A walker is more stable and less coordination is needed. The only reason I can use crutches comfortably is that I have been using them on and off since age 23.
 
Hi Pumpkin .... I asked them that and they said because then you would be putting weight on the broken foot. My girlfriend from PA ha a smaller wheelchair which she's going to bring down ..... that should really help.
Barb
 
Not necessarly, with training they could have taught you NWB with a walker. I hope they gave you training with the crutches, sounds like what they did was not enough.
The wheel chair will help. @RestAssured had a scooter device, for her broken foot, I have tagged her for you.
 
I have a good friend who has a scooter, but she's needing it now as she's just had some very complicated foot surgery. She's going to bring down a small sized wheelchair which should help a bit.
Barb
 
The scooter helped me a lot! You can rent one pretty cheaply


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good morning everyone. I just had to vent to you all .... I am so angry and frustrated I don't know what to do with it. I wrote to my Ortho. Surgeon's Assistant this morning and just vented, even though my Ortho. Surgeon did a great job with my revision, I am really ticked (not the word I'm really wanting to say!) at the P.T. - Todd at Superior Physical Therapy here in Spring Ridge. He's caused me so much trouble, truthfully, I could go right in there and choke him (well, then I'd go to jail, but smack him).

I don't know how much of this I've shared with you all, but the first time I saw him after the TKR revision, he worked me far too long and did all sorts of things that seemed "over-do" to me, but then ..... what did I know? When I came home my knee was sore and the next morning it hurt like blazes. I waited a few days thinking it would pass, but it didn't. Then in about 4-5 days I came down to see Dr. Murphy. He said it was the medial colloidal ligament which is responsible for balance, and had me wear the brace with the hinges. I'm still wearing it because it's still sore. Every now and then I try to go without it, but it doesn't last long, as it starts to hurt and I can feel I'm out of balance.

Several weeks ago, I did not have it on as I was trying again to see if it was better, and I was trying to clean up my bedroom, probably going too fast, I felt my right knee sort of cave in (for lack of a better word) and I fell and broke my left foot. Now I'm wearing a tall boot, 24/7. If I try to take it off at night, I pay the next day. So now I've got the brace on my right knee and the boot on my left foot, and I could absolutely just choke him. I am so angry that I feel like marching in there and telling him off. I couldn't go down to my family for Thanksgiving and I was not planning to go down at Christmas anyhow.

I think I will send him an e-mail and blast him that way. This morning, for some reason, I am just furious. Dr. Murphy did such a good job and then because of that young know-it-all snot, here I am.

So, there you have it .... thanks for listening. I'd love any input you all have. Right now I'm too mad to think straight.
abby (Barb)
 
Barb,
I think you need to talk to a lawyer, and see if you have a case.
I do not say this often, but in the case you were clearly damaged by an inexperienced PT, who is not aware of his limits.
All PT clinics have Liability insurance for just this type of incident, and all smart PT's have their own Liability insurance.
Keep all your documentation, and pertinent print posts here to take them to the Lawyer.

I am so sorry this has happened to you, :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom