• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hope your move goes well. Isn't it wonderful to have great friends to lean on? I'm sure you'll have many laughs packing up with your friend!

MarathonRich

Country
Hi.. I've had three revisions to date. Although I am still having complications that Josephine is helping me with., the recovery time was much faster with no loss of ROM or extension! Even after 5 surgeries, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get past my current complications. Best of luck to you

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Balance issues are common as we get a bit older. That's primarily what my trainer works with me on (that and cardio). Exercises are fairly simple. Practice standing on one foot for as long as you can. Your goal would be to stand on one foot while you brush your teeth. Switch feet as needed to give both a workout.

You can also stand and lift one leg like you're marching and balance on the other foot for 30 seconds. If you get good doing that on a hard floor, switch to a carpet. Then if you can do that, switch to a piece of dense foam.

Just be sure with any of the balance exercises that you are steady enough to do them. You might want to have a chair behind you in case you need to sit down. Or do them beside a sturdy piece of furniture or counter so you can hold on if needed. You don't want to risk a fall.

Here is a link to more exercises:

Balance Exercises

The Tai Chi is especially good. Maybe you can find a class near where your new apartment is located!

jmdearras

graduate
Country
My PT was somewhat obsessed with my balance, even though I repeatedly told him I had had a head injury 15 years ago that left me largely visually balanced. My balance is as good after as it was before the tkr! I just cannot look down at my feet while walking, and expect to be perfectly stable.

Nana moon 27

alpha
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello Barb

Just wanted to drop by and wish you good luck with your move.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx

OP
OP
amberpep

amberpep

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
HI NANA ...... It's been awhile since I've visited with you all. I thought being a senior citizen meant they were the "golden years." RIGHT! I must have missed them.
Well, I've finally moved down here to Harrisonburg, VA, just last week. My daughters had set up the furniture, stocked my pantry and frig. and put several home made meals in it. I was so surprised and blessed.
I have a duplex, 3 years old and it's twice as big as my condo ..... but, I do miss my condo, my friends, my church, and the Scottish Society I was involved with. I never even got dressed today. I guess I'll shower, put on a clean nightie, and then just read or something like that.
My knee, after the revision, is now fantastic. It rarely hurts (unless it's going to rain) and I couldn't be more pleased. I have decided that if ever need anymore bone surgery, I am going back to Olney, MD to the surgeon who worked on my knee before .... he's excellent and I have confidence in him.
If any of you live down this way, shout out a "hi" ..... it would be good to know I'm not alone .... sure feels that way sometimes.
abby (Barb) :bored: :shrug:

OP
OP
amberpep

amberpep

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
BALANCE ... well, that's another issue. Since I had my knee done, I still don't have the balance I did before then. I've taken more than one topple and have to be very careful. The day before I moved I got up during the night, thought I was somewhere else and got confused, and next thing I knew, I had fallen straight back, all 5'8" of me, hitting my head on the floor and my fanny, and the tailbone quite hard. The head never really hurt, but the day afterwards oh my, my rear really hurt as did my tailbone. My best friend is now Ibuprofen. Very slowly, the tailbone is a wee bit better each day, but at this rate I'll be 90 by the time it's "normal."
So, balance is a real problem for me. I know there are exercises to do to improve it, but I'm not sure what. If anyone knows of any, I'd really appreciate knowing. Many thanks ....
Barb (i.e. abby)
:oyvey::nah::gaah:

Pumpkln

Country
For balance you can do single limb stance at your kitchen counter, you should be able to work up to 30 seconds with losing your balance. Tai Chi is another activity that helps balance, there is research to back this claim up.
Let us know what you would like your thread title changed to, the one you have now seems a little dated, since you are a lot better.

Nana moon 27

alpha
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Congratulations on your move @amberpep, I wish you every blessing and happiness for your future there x

I do hope that you're recovering ok from your fall x

Good luck and please stay in touch
Love Nana moon 27 xx

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
So glad to hear your knee is doing well!

Pumpkln

Country
Barb,
You can go to a podiatrist, or a PT to take a look at your leg length, and see if there is a difference.
Finding a new OS, click on the find a clinic button at the top of the page, enter your zip code. You can call the offices and find out how many TKR's the OS do, and ask for an appointment. You are in a good position to interview different OS's now, to find the one you like.
For your falls you can look for a Tai Chi class, one for us that are moving a little slower. Also PT can help.
If I had my way you would go back to the PT office in Frederick where they used Strain/Counterstrain. One of the best practitioners/instructors in the US owns the clinic.
@amberpep

OP
OP
amberpep

amberpep

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Hi Pumpkin ....
Yes, I went to the Strain/Counterstrain PT when I was in Frederick. Mr. Tuckey had several PT's that took the necessary classes and were just excellent. I don't know if there are any down here or not. I've just written to Karen, the P.T. that used it on me and it was amazing. I have a Tai Chi for Seniors CD, but it, like so much, is buried somewhere. Like so much of what I have, it's nice to have help from folks to pack, but then you have no clue where anything is.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I would be extremely surprised if you have a leg length problem. Your balance issues are very typical of what happens as we age and even more so after knee replacement surgery. Earlier in this thread I gave you some exercises to do. Take a look back and you'll see them.

I suggest you pick an orthopedic surgeon where you are who does knee replacements. You need a "close by" doctor. But for this balance problem, actually your GP can order some physical therapy for you to get you started. You'll need to get in the habit of regular exercise from now on to build up your muscles and improve balance. Just don't let it go, though. These things do not get better without targeted exercises. Without that you really risk a fall which could result in a whole 'nother set of problems.

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I have struggled with balance issues after my TKR. PT helped and I need to continue with some balance exercises even now, two years later. It's slowly getting better.

OP
OP
amberpep

amberpep

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Hi all .... before the first TKR I was a regular "exerciser" ..... since the RTKR, the removal of the scarr tissue, and the revision TKR (a period of time a little over 3 years), I have done nothing except walk my dog, and that is only 2x a day and short as there is really nowhere to walk her around here except my little 1/2 block area. I'm going to start doing the balance ones at the counter and see if there are any Tai Chi classes around here for seniors. There is a hospital 2 blocks away from me and they would probably know.
Barb :sigh:

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sounds like a good plan, amber.

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I just read through your thread and I truly understand the problems of living alone and also having to move. It's very hard to do. I'm a bit younger than you but it has been hard for me to work a fulltime nursing job. There should be a local Office of the Aging or a senior center nearby that can help you with finding classes or a part time job. My local library sometimes has some part time jobs that they list on their bulletin board for things like reading at story time or some other relatively easy job. Your doctor that you had before you moved can write an order for PT that you can do somewhere near where you are now living. My local YMCA also has classes in a great many things. That may be another source even for a small job with the preschool crowd, an after school program, or just answering phones. I hope you soon feel adjusted to your new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
momofthreee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom