THR Stiffness but no hip pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news for a change :loveshwr:
My left hip is booked in for March 26th. I did have to dig deep and pay for it and where that leaves me on the nightmare long list for my right leg, I don't know... One hobble at a time :spin:
 
Woohoo! So happy to read that you have a date, @Deni444! You've waited a long time.

I've created a signature for you with your surgery date!
 
Even though you've been with us for a long time and have probably read these tips before, I will share our Pre-op Guidelines with you. Let us know what else you'd like to know.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Good nutrition is very important for your recovery:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

We are here for you! :flwrysmile:
 
Woohoo! So happy to read that you have a date, @Deni444! You've waited a long time.

I've created a signature for you with your surgery date!
Thank you @benne68 :)

I wouldn't be feeling as positive and excited as I am if all the wonderful Bonesmart Admins, like your good self hadn't given me a lot of support. Hugs to you all!
 
Congrats on getting it scheduled, Deni! I found it to be a relief and a great first step toward regaining life as it was before the ol hip began deteriorating. I'm excited for you!
Lots of comfort as you await your date! :)
@Deni444
 
Great news!!
:yay:
Thanks @Morgan Le Fay :yahoo:
How are you doing? Any recent milestone in you're recovery?

Can you help with any must have items? I'm currently working on a list of personal care items. I'm thinking of those no rinse shampoo caps. Did you get anything like that?
 
Congrats on getting it scheduled, Deni! I found it to be a relief and a great first step toward regaining life as it was before the ol hip began deteriorating. I'm excited for you!
Lots of comfort as you await your date! :)
@Deni444
Thanks @Layla :catdance:
I can't express the relief! I'm the kind of person who likes to know what's happening and being in limbo was driving me crazy. To be honest, I'm still a little afraid to imagine I will fully regain what I've lost. I hope and reading recovery stories gives my optimism a huge boost. At this point the moving journey seems more important than the destination. Not sure if that reads well but I guess I'm saying I'm incredibly excited to give getting better all I've got and am open minded about the future.
 
Hi @Deni444 !!

I am doing well, thank you so much for asking. At nearly 3 months post op I don't think about my hip much any more and am back to all activities pre hip pain/ surgery. I do still get the occasional ache when I've really overdone it but am good most days now.

I did use a dry shampoo during recovery and one item that I found really helpful was a grab stick. Or grab extender. Not sure what they are called in the UK but it was a little lifesaver.

:loveshwr:
 
I can't express the relief! I'm the kind of person who likes to know what's happening and being in limbo was driving me crazy.
Same! I didn't schedule my surgery as soon as I should have due to fear of the unknown. I know you understand all the thoughts that run through our head. While I felt a big sense of relief in scheduling my surgery, naturally I still had reservations so I consoled myself with the thought that I had an escape clause. I could cancel my surgery if I wanted to, knowing full well I'd never put myself back on that hamsters wheel. :tiredwheel:

To be honest, I'm still a little afraid to imagine I will fully regain what I've lost.
My OS's PA reminded me early on that our prosthetic hip will never replace our natural hip, but it gets pretty darned close...and she's right. You will be fully functional without the pain, which is so wonderful. Your future looks bright!
 
Thank you @Layla. I'm certainly, increasingly hopeful of a bright future.

I wonder if you could please help me with some surgeon jargon? This relates to my right hip that will be done next... So not on my worry about immediately list but I'm keen to know if you can help.

What does 'Significant fixed soft tissue deformity' 'including abduction deformity' mean?

That's the trouble with surgeons, they save the big words for their letters but I'd like to be able to discuss it when I see him next :)
 
I believe it means that there is a noticeable problem with soft tissue in the hip area meaning, ligaments, muscles, tendons affecting the function which you're obviously aware of. This can cause the soft tissue "deformity". Guessing the abduction issue is making it difficult for you to move your leg inward. I dealt with this and was unable to stand with my feet together and standing and crossing one foot over the other...forget it! There was no way. Couldn't cross my legs if I tried while sitting, nor touch my knees together while sitting. Not very lady like for a few months there, lol. But I can do it all now! :happydance:
For a more professional interpretation of the medical jargon, please don't hesitate to phone your surgeon's office to speak with a member if his / her care team. Or the Consultant as the contact person in the UK, right?
A great rest of the day to you, Deni!
@Deni444
 
Thanks so much @Layla

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. My legs create an inverted 'v' shape. There's no way at all that my feet or knees come together. It's also made laying on my side impossible. I can't tell you how reassuring it is to hear that you can now do all of those things! I'll chat with the surgeon when I see him next. You basically answered my follow on question in revealing that the replacement fixed these issues.
 
You basically answered my follow on question in revealing that the replacement fixed these issues
I brought up these concerns during my initial consultation and my OS assured me THR would fix it. My foot on the affected leg turned outward slightly and to my horror (strong exaggeration :heehee:) it still did afterward! You can imagine the Number One question on my list for my first post op visit. At that visit I was told it will all gradually settle with time, and it did.

Being a woman it feels strange to lose the ability to sit as you normally would since we're raised to sit like a lady and cross our legs. I remember I was wearing a skort before my surgery one day and even though it had the shorts connected, with out the ability to hold my knees together I decided it wasn't a good clothing choice, or look, until I could sit like a female again and not a guy. :heehee:
Thank goodness for joint replacement!
 
@Deni444 Some times the surgeon's nurse or assistant can be better at translating medical jargon into language we non medical folks can understand. So it might help to call or ask the nurse/assistant about those xray results.

Oh the problems with bad hips!! About a month before I got my referral to orthopedic surgery I went in for a routine GYN exam. And the Nurse Practitioner I saw had a really hard time doing the exam because my hips would not *ahem* "assume the position". Turns out one hip (right) was so bad it had fused to my pelvis so could not move as it was supposed to move. Thankfully after my hip replacements that was no longer a problem ... next GYN visit was done with no problems at all .... and the NP was amazed at the difference.
 
Thanks @Morgan Le Fay
You are my role model! I've loved watching your recovery
I am smiling!
You are going to be absolutely fine and remember that the process can be slow but that one day you'll wake up and won't even remember that you had surgery. The timing for everyone is different but you will get there. Keep up that amazing positive attitude.

:puppysmooze:
 
Thanks everyone for your help on this and encouraging reassurance. It's good to hear people have gone through this too:loveshwr:
 
Can any of you lovely people give me any help on the subject of Ice Packs? Unfortunately I can't afford one of those lovely machines but I have a magic gel pad that was great when I had foot surgery a few years ago. It lasts ages and is easy to freeze. I'm looking to buy another but I'm not sure which shape is best. I was about to buy the full leg length version but thought I'd check in. I was thinking full leg length because people comment on the whole leg swelling. The one I'm looking at goes from hip to foot. Any tips or hints?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom