Guest viewing is limited

THR Stiffness but no hip pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Year, New Question :what:

I may have the terminology incorrect but one of my issues on the side with the bad knee is, Femoral Retroversion. Basically the whole leg has shifted directly to point outwards. I tried to research it but couldn't find much. It says that it can cause arthritis in the hip but this seems to have happened over the last couple of years and is on the side of the 'so called' better hip. This isn't just a little bit, it's so bad I trip over my walking stick. It seems to get worse every few weeks. I'd say definitely caused by something, rather than being the cause. If that makes sense. Really wondering if anyone else experienced this as something that developed fairly quickly over a couple of years. I haven't always had it. I do remember my toes pointing out as a child and a Dr making my mum constantly remind me to point them in... Sorry off topic there. Any ideas? I'm hoping a hip replacement will resolve it but unfortunately this is going to be hip number two.

With my consultant appointment at the end of the month, I'm trying to be better prepared with questions. I had no idea what was happening when I saw him two years ago. I'd like him to explain things to me a little better this time
 
Last edited:
Hi @Deni444 I did some research on this condition and found the following on the website of Hospital for Special Surgery (the world leader in orthopedics). Hope this information is helpful to you.

What are the causes of femoral retroversion?
The exact cause of femoral retroversion is unknown. Femoral retroversion is often a congenital condition, meaning children are born with it. Torsional deformity can also occur after a fracture, if a broken bone heals with incorrectly (called malunion). Femoral retroversion often runs in families, which may indicate that some children have a higher risk of being born with this condition. Femoral retroversion may also occur after a physical trauma such as a femur fracture.

Symptoms of femoral retroversion usually begin with the visual recognition of the rotated femur. However, in some cases, this may be difficult to identify, especially if femoral retroversion is combined with a separate rotation deformity such as tibial torsion. Symptoms may include:

  • out-toeing or "duck walk" – walking with the foot pointed outward instead of straight ahead
  • difficulty with running
  • poor balance or coordination
  • hip and knee pain
  • low back pain
  • degeneration or arthritis of the hip

How is femoral retroversion treated?​

Many children born with femoral retroversion grow out it. For those who do not, a mild case may not cause significant health problems. In severe cases, however, surgery may be needed to correct the rotation. An excessive femoral retroversion can place stress on hip and knee joints, often leading to joint pain and abnormal wear. In these situations, a surgical procedure known as a femoral osteotomy may be used. This surgery includes cutting and realigning the femur. In some cases, a minimally invasive version of a femoral osteotomy may be performed.
 
  • out-toeing or "duck walk" – walking with the foot pointed outward instead of straight ahead
  • difficulty with running
  • poor balance or coordination
  • hip and knee pain
  • low back pain
  • degeneration or arthritis of the hip

Thank you so much for this! It's literally like seeing my life flash before my eyes. I feel that I finally may have found an answer to why my condition appeared to come on so suddenly. That is personally quite satisfying!

As a child, I was pigeon toed (or the other, they stuck out to the side) and was directed by my parents on the Dr's advice to push my toes in. A constant battle, I remember. Another childhood memory constant trips to A&E to x-ray my ankle. I frequently twisted both of them when running. Another vivid childhood memory is incredibly painful legs, that the Dr put down to growing pains... But I don't remember anyone else experiencing them to the extreme degree I did. It suddenly, all seems to fit. My hip dysplasia wasn't diagnosed. When I suddenly took up hill walking, all my issues began. I guess because I put the misaligned joints under a lot of pressure and arthritis crept in as a consequence. Hopefully, I can now anticipate significant improvement after surgery.
 
Last edited:
If this symptoms fits, be sure to bring this up when you see the consultant, @Deni444. From what I read, a femoral osteotomy might be needed in conjunction with your hip replacement.

Keep us posted.
 
Thanks @benne68

I found a great paper on here when I searched for femoral retroversion. I'm going to forward it to my consultant prior to my appointment with a brief overview of my childhood history. I'll ask if he can consider it alongside my x-rays.

I imagine it would be unavoidable to correct my right leg at this point because it is so pronounced. I can't imagine them replacing a hip joint and sending me home with a leg pointing off to one side. It would look like they put my leg back on wrong :heehee:. Wouldn't do much for my consultants reputation. Seriously...what will be, will be. It's good to manage my expectations. He's a good and experienced surgeon and I'll pray for some divine intervention :)
 
Last edited:
Trouble with what seems an endless wait is that I have far too much time to think. My latest anxiety relates to my journey home from hospital. First, I worried about being able to get in our old Jeep. Solved that, now I'm concerned about the length of journey. So it's going to be between an hour and a half and two hours. I live in the rural North of the UK and my nearest hospital has a bad reputation for orthopaedic surgery. Reading other threads, people seem to have concerns about a longer journey. I know of others who live nearby who have done the same journey, so I know it's doable. Any tips from anybody in terms of preparation? For example, what's the likelihood of needing a toilet break? These are rural roads, no great stopping places. What about pain? Will the seat be painful to sit in?
 
Hi there :angel:

I saw a crime documentary the other night about a woman being so determined to drive non stop for 9 hours she wore adult diapers.

I'm so sorry if it sounds crude but am thinking this may solve not having to stop at a nasty tree with nasty pain?

:shrug:
 
Any tips from anybody in terms of preparation?
We've had several members in the past who had to plan for a long drive home. Here are some of the tips they shared to manage the journey:
  • If possible (is your Jeep 2 or 4 door?), ride in the back with your legs up on the seat. If not, push the passenger back as far as possible and have something to put your feet up on in front of you.
  • Have some pillows in the car so you can try to make your self comfortable.
  • Be sure you are administered medication prior to your discharge that will last for at least the drive home.
  • Ask for an ice pack as you are leaving the hospital, so you can ice during the drive.
  • The most difficult part will be getting in and out of the vehicle, so stopping for a toilet break isn't optimal. Plus, public toilets are usually too low for someone who has just had a hip replacement. Try to empty your bladder right before you leave the hospital so you won't need to stop.
I'm sure some of our members who have been through this will stop be with additional advice.
 
Hi there :angel:

I saw a crime documentary the other night about a woman being so determined to drive non stop for 9 hours she wore adult diapers.

I'm so sorry if it sounds crude but am thinking this may solve not having to stop at a nasty tree with nasty pain?

:shrug:
@Morgan Le Fay that's hilarious... I hadn't thought about going that far down the prep route but now I'm wondering. Can you imagine, first get the ladder to get out of the Jeep... Hobble to a tree... No it's just not happening. Nappy or 'she-pee' thingy will have to be considered :heehee: :loll:

By the way... How are you doing? Hope your recovery is progressing well :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
If possible (is your Jeep 2 or 4 door?), ride in the back with your legs up on the seat. If not, push the passenger back as far as possible and have something to put your feet up on in front of you.
@benne68 Thanks for all of those suggestions! The Jeep is 4 door but the back is narrow to get into. I really struggle now. I think the pillows are a fantastic idea! Kind of create a leg rest with them. Maybe a quilt on the seat to make it more comfortable too. Maybe I'll take my ice pad with me to hospital and ask them to freeze it ready for the journey home. I'm going to buy a few leg length ice packs, the gel type. The last a good length of time.

I'll definitely ask them to consider my journey in terms of medication. I guess, the fact is, one way or another, I'll make it home and as bad as it may or may not be, it will be behind me.
 
I guess, the fact is, one way or another, I'll make it home and as bad as it may or may not be, it will be behind me.
Hi @Deni444 !! :loveshwr:

I love what you said above, it is so true. Your positive attitude is wonderful and will get you through your recovery beautifully.

I am doing ok, I'm around 9 weeks post op now. I forget I've had surgery these days but am promptly reminded if I walk too much or move my leg in a position that it doesn't like. I still don't have feeling on the outer thigh on my operated side but i have felt some sensitivity in that area over the last couple of days so i think it's "waking" up.

:spin:
 
Maybe a quilt on the seat to make it more comfortable too.
Good thought. I used a foam cushion in the car during my first month or two of recovery.

One other tip: Put a plastic bag on the seat so you can sit down and then "swivel" into position. It makes things a bit easier getting in and out.
 
@Morgan Le Fay
It's difficult to believe you're 9 weeks post op already! I'm so glad the memory of surgery is beginning to fade into the background now. Hope that sensation comes back soon. I've been really encouraged watching your recovery. Thanks for all the lovely messages you share with people on here. Positivity is infectious and you're certainly helping me to focus on the end game :thankyou:
 
Oooohhh you are so welcome @Deni444 and thank you for the kind words, it means the world. I do try to be positive and am so happy that it translates through. Takes one to know one huh lol. You are going to be absolutely fine. It will all pay off. There is a lot of proof on here of the awesome outcome of this particular surgery.
:loveshwr:
 
News and it's miserable. It seems the estimate for surgery was complete nonsense. Finally had my appointment today with surgeon. I'm looking at an 8-10 months wait for a staged hip replacement on the NHS. Left first followed by right. The left is pretty routine but the right will pose some challenges due to alignment. I'm still in shock but counting up the pennies to see if I can afford to go private :banghead:
 
I am so sorry to hear this Deni.

How disappointing as I know that once you have made such an important decision such as proceeding with this surgery you want to get it over and done with. Did you still put your name down? Keep your beautiful positive attitude at the forefront of all of this as you will get through it. Am thinking of you.

:mooncat:
 
Last edited:
Thank you @Morgan Le Fay :curtsey:
I'm smiling again after my temporary meltdown yesterday :spin: I spent the morning getting in contact with my surgeon's secretary and getting the ball rolling for having my left hip done privately. The plan to stay on the ridiculously long NHS waiting list for my right hip because I can't afford to pay for both. Can you believe, even privately, I'm going to be waiting until April or May! Anyway, I figure get my left hip done and be recovered well before the more troublesome right side is replaced. I may not be weight bearing with the right and a stronger, well recovered left may prove a blessing. Just waiting to hear back from my surgeon. Hopefully not too long!!!
 
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, @Deni444, but you have such a great attitude. Wish we could bottle it!

Sending hugs :console2:
 
Thanks @benne68 :flwrysmile: Looks like you're stuck with me for some time on this side of the hippy fence and an extended amount of time on the recovery side. At the very least, I'll have a pretty good idea of what recovery looks like from many, many, many different perspectives as I watch people get over the line and go from limping to jumping. By the way, that right leg was described as odd in terms of it's alignment and the way it has worn. He mumbled something about being unable to use a standard socket. I decided not to push the conversation as there'll be time to worry about that later. I've noted he is experienced with the less common surgeries, so I trust he can do his best. At least lefty looks like a standard procedure.
 
Am so happy that you have perked up!
You have sprung into action.
I love your positivity.
Let's concentrate on the left and then deal with the right later.
By April/May you will be a pre op prep expert haha.

:loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom