Guest viewing is limited

THR Stiffness but no hip pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news and a good idea on the walker with seat!!!
 
I hope you're able to get a date on the schedule soon, Deni. Good news on the walker. It is beneficial as you're dealing with pain and stiffness, but will also be useful post op. The basket will come in handy afterwards to transport items like your phone, a snack, water bottle, glasses, lip balm etc
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Deni444
 
Thanks both! The walker is great, I particularly like that it's much easier to get through doors. A lot of my doors either have a small step or a slight frame at the bottom to step over and I struggle to lift my feet over. I feel a little vulnerable with my walking stick but the walker makes it much easier because I can apply the brakes as I step through and I have good support on both sides. Crucial because I don't have a good leg. I've even put plates of food on the seat to take them between the kitchen and dining table. Feels strangely liberating as hubby would usually have to come and collect them. I can't tell you how much difference it makes. More psychological really because it reduces a lot of the niggling frustrations that can build up over a day of struggles.

Hope you have a lovely weekend too @Layla
 
It's finally kicked in... Hip pain! I know that sounds ridiculous but I did start this thread off saying, I have stiffness and no pain. To clarify, I meant leg stiffness and leg pain, usually in my knee but no hip pain. Maybe it's the cold weather arriving or maybe my poor hips have just had enough but my left hip is really hurting. Maybe I'm doing a little more as I adjust... All sorts of maybes but this is my left hip. The one that looks much worse on the x-ray, so maybe it's a good sign that this is the one that needs doing first. My poor painful right knee may just have to cope a bit longer.

Popped this on for anyone that may be puzzled that they have bad hips that don't hurt ... I can confirm that when they decide they are going to hurt. They will! Actually a bit of a relief. No one wants to think it could be something else in the back of their mind. I'm fairly over that fear but it kept me hobbling on longer than I should have
 
Last edited:
I'm so sorry that you are in pain, @Deni444, but at least you no longer have to questions which hip to fix first. Thank goodness you are already on the list for surgery. I hope you get a date soon.
 
Thank you @benne68 Absolutely, it's a good thing really and hopefully I'll be able to get it to calm down a bit. Only mentioned it because, it may help to give a full picture of some of the consequences of delaying and how different symptoms can be.
 
@Denni444, I read your thread with a lot of interest as I am in a similar situation and “feel your pain”. Ihad my left knee replaced in February 2022 and have not been comfortable since, actually worse than before my surgery. I have since been told that both my hips are in terrible shape and also have arthritis in my right knee. In the last couple of months my right hip has become unbearably painful, so much like what you describe. I am on a list to replace the right hip but don’t have an exact date yet. It is incredible how quickly and unexpectedly the joint pain can arrive and how intense and life limiting!! I just dug out my old walker from my knee replacement. Thinking about if I feel well enough to make an expedition into my kitchen for something to eat and it is an expedition!! Your posts let me know I am not alone in this journey
 
@LeftKnee123 I'm so glad you found my journey and story has helped you. You are not alone! I feel your pain. I was pulling my hair out for a time but a few things have helped. Firstly l, don't fight it, it is what it is and I can't do what I can't do. I cut back on my expectations of what I could achieve in a day. I took it down to a minimum and limited my expectations to one task. For example, I'd hoover but I wouldn't aim to do anything else. The next day maybe a load of washing but nothing more. Once the thing was achieved, I gave myself grace to sit. I'd imagine that I'd need to hoover for five minutes, maybe less and then sit for as long as I needed before doing a bit more. I like to manage to cook from scratch in the evening. I make sure I have a good rest before tackling it. I have a chair in the kitchen, so I can sit whenever possible when chopping or watching something cook. I embrace every gadget that helps with no thought or concern about how it makes me look. At this stage, I look disabled. Fact, no point trying to hide it and why be embarrassed? It's a health issue, we all experience them at some point. My recliner chair was an expense but I'm glad I have it. Personally, I find distractions useful, reading, watching or something to do with my hands. It takes my mind off pain. After my antiinflammatory tablet I do gentle physio in the morning. I don't enjoy it but it helps. I have a massage gun, that also helps to relax my muscles. A lot of the pain is soft tissue related because everything is reacting to the joint and the pain related postures we adopt. I hope some of those things may help you too. Always feel free to message me and just get it off your chest. Our nearest and dearest get a bit blind to it or simply don't get it. Thinking about you and you're in my prayers. Take each day, one at a time... Each hour, get through it and be kind to yourself.
 
What a wonderful post, @Deni444! !'m sure others will find it helpful.

Thank you for sharing this. :SUNsmile:
 
Here's my December update. Still no news. I'm seeing a 15 week estimate from the date of my referral on my health record app and that puts me at the end of January for surgery. I'm still waiting for my appointment with the consultant though and so, I can't imagine it being as early as January. In the meantime, I'm coping well. I'm digging deep into all the things that help a little. I've managed to loose 7lb in weight... Amazing really because I get almost no exercise. I've just cut out bread 4 days per week. I'm having milk for breakfast and eggs or soup for lunch on those 4 days and a normal supper, taking care not to have too big a portion. The other days I eat normally for me but am aware. It's working and pretty healthy-ish. I'm eating a well balanced nutritional supper. The other thing that's helping a bit is I've added a massage gun session to my morning ritual. Like most things, it doesn't fix anything really but it seems to relax things temporarily and that helps with stiffness.
 
Good for you, @Deni444!

Just be sure that you are eating a well-balanced diet and that you are getting plenty of protein. It's really important to build up your body's store prior to recovery to help with healing. You might want to have a read through our nutrition articles, if you haven't already, to be sure you are preparing your body for surgery.

 
Thank you @benne68 :thankyou:
I've had a good look and I'm confident in my diet but thanks for posting as it's important. My husband and I both take care to eat a very good diet and always home made from scratch. My issue is eating too much. Once I have a date, I'll be careful to adjust as advised if I need to tweak anything. I'm getting plenty of protein from fish, meat, nuts and eggs and am also trying to up my green vegetables and fruit. I'll abandon the diet completely a good couple of weeks before surgery. Not to mention Christmas in-between :)
 
I remember that after my TKR I CRAVED chicken breast and would devour it. My body was definitely telling me that I needed that protein. Another thing that I think really helped was taking Metamucil ( psyllium seed) daily both before and after surgery. I believe that kept me from experiencing constipation and never had to resort to a stool softener after surgery. My PT was always asking me about my bowels and I told her I should have received a medal for pooping.
 
Thanks for the tip @LeftKnee123 I'll try and remember to get some in. I'm one of those really regular people who feel the pain of being even an hour off schedule :heehee:
 
Finally, I have a date... Not a surgery date but an appointment with my surgeon. I'm seeing my surgeon on 21st January. Unfortunately that pushes me on to maybe a February surgery. At least it's some news of things slowly moving forward. I should have known the estimate they gave me for surgery was optimistic. In the meantime, still hobbling on and managing OK. I'm a bit worried that I'm going to be habitually lazy and find walking a bizarre concept by the time I need to rehabilitate :heehee:
 
Thanks @Morgan Le Fay :). Hope your recovery is going well and you enjoyed a nice Christmas! It all seems a long way off but hopefully this time next year I'll have some mobility back.
 
Keeping in mind that every patient is a little different, so it's hard to make a comparison, but I know knee pain is quite common. I myself post hip replacement, suffering from knee pain on that side and I have suffered from some pain in that hip recently. Referred pain is quite common.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom