THR Stiffness but no hip pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Deni444. I just used standard sized (10x14 inch) ice packs for my hip recovery; it looked like this
[Bonesmart.org] Stiffness but no hip pain


What is most important is to have multiple sets so you can always have one in the freezer getting cold while you are using another. (I had 3 for my THR).

You might find this article helpful. It provides some other recommendations:

 
Thank you @benne68 You read my mind! Yes, the full leg length one is more expensive and I could get a few smaller ones for the same price. I'll read the info. Thanks :) :-) (:
 
I’ll second the choice of the large rectangular gel packs. They are relatively inexpensive. I had 4 of them so I could use two at a time in multiple areas if needed. It’s not a given that your entire leg will swell after your hip replacement. These days we’re even seeing patients who have virtually no swelling with a new hip, so I hope that’s the case for you. At any rate, start with the ice immediately. As long as you keep the gel packs wrapped in a towel, you can ice as much as you like. It helps with pain and swelling for sure.
 
Thank you @Jamie for seconding the vote for multiple rectangular gel pads! I'm definitely going for that idea over the full leg length version. I'm also encouraged to hear you say that the awful swelling isn't a given. In my head my whole leg was going to be three times bigger. My only personal experience of surgery is a bilateral bunion+ surgery and swelling was a thing and when it happened pain was much worse until you got the swelling down. Usually after standing a little or a trip to the bathroom. I'm anticipating similar.
 
It's my pre-op health assessment today. A bit nervous but one step closer. Well, actually it's one hobble on two walking sticks closer :loll:

Hopefully, all goes well and I'll be signed off for surgery on the 26th March. I'll let you know how it goes :wave:
 
Best Wishes, Deni!
actually it's one hobble on two walking sticks closer :loll:
:heehee: Cute, made me chuckle.

Hope to hear from you soon with confirmation you're still on for the 26th.
 
@Deni444 You got this! The immediate relief I felt from my THR was so worth the preop nerves, and believe me, I was nervous. I had trouble with pain meds, so ice packs are my best advise. I have 3 gel packs to rotate. I had some swelling, not like some report, and the icing helps with the soft tissue pain from surgery. I am 6 weeks out and my new hip feels great. I need my right hip replaced now, and will find out Wednesday at my post op appointment when my surgery will be. I waited far too long to do this because of my anxiety. I think because I never had children...I wasn't "forced" to get used to medical stuff? I don't know, but my irrational fears were actually alleviated after my first THR. I am ready and excited to have my second hip replacement. I wasted so much time and lived in excruciating pain because of fear. You are on your way to a better quality of life. Yay for you! And also, yay for me!
 
Thank you, everyone for your kind word and encouragement! All went well today but I haven't had the results from blood work and swabs yet. The staff were wonderful and the hospital a very nice environment and so I'm feeling much more relaxed about everything. I was encouraged when the receptionist instantly offered to fetch me a wheelchair when she saw me hobbling in. A big improvement from my recent appointment at an NHS hospital where they sent me on a long walk to X-ray, watching on as I struggled there and back.

I was told I'll definitely be in over night due to the long journey I have from hospital to home but all being well it should be no more than a night's stay because they aim for an enhanced recovery. So far so good!
 
This sounds so good! Good report and medical teams who take proper care of patients.

I can’t imagine how people can watch someone in obvious pain have to walk long distances! That’s just plain cruel and it sounds like a bad case of “It ain’t my job.” So glad you didn’t have to go through that at the hospital where you were.
 
It's so good to learn you already felt cared for. Makes so much difference!!!
 
Sometimes the small things make a big difference. I entered the hospital a bundle of nerves and came out feeling like a great weight had been lifted. They made me feel like they actually cared about me as a person. It's sad to say but I've encountered a lot of indifference on my journey to date and today was refreshing.
 
You so right. I’m just thankful that you’ve had the support you need right now.
 
Hey Morgan :flwrysmile: Thanks! How are you doing? Are you coping with stairs any better or still avoiding them?
 
Hiiiii :loveshwr:

I am doing well, am on the train now on the way to the office. I used the stairs last week and faired ok so little by little I'm easing my way in lol.
How are you feeling after your appointment? Must be exciting now as you gear up for your surgery? Have you got your bits and pieces for recovery?

~ Ash aka Morgan
 
Glad to hear the stairs are getting a bit easier! Are you exhausted after a day at the office or is it beginning to feel normal again?

I still need to order my ice gel packs but apart from that, I think I'm good. I'm kind of at the point of thinking, what I don't have, I'll live without. Amazon, delivery is next day and so I'll be fine if I realise something I haven't got would be useful. I'm currently trying to convince my Tibetan Terrier, my lap doesn't have to be her bed. It's going to drive her crazy!
 
I had to laugh :heehee:
Your terrier sounds adorable. You are so right about Amazon. Online deliveries are wonderful, especially after a surgery. Things are beginning to feel more normal for me for sure. Every day is a better one. You'll get there too.
:yes!:
 
I'm currently trying to convince my Tibetan Terrier, my lap doesn't have to be her bed.
She may figure this out on her own when you come home from the hospital. Dogs are incredibly intuitive about illness and injury.

My two little guys -- who always snuggled with me on the couch (one at my shoulder and one at my hip) -- did not jump up for weeks after my THR. Instead, they just curled up on the floor next to the couch. Somehow they KNEW.

Animals are amazing!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom